Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

"If you're in in March, you need to be in for the entire season"

.... that's what JMV said about Luck quitting just before season started.

" he set the organization back for years to come". 

He also said there is NO COMPARISON between Peyton  and Luck. 

He said superlatives regarding Peyton while saying Luck was just a Flash in the Pan.....that's Luck's Legacy.

Wow!!!

JMV's guest hosts on Tuesday also said a few tidbits with same veiw.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The disrespect Luck gets from fans is awful. He did a lot with the garbage around him and some fans act betrayed.    The man made a choice choosing his health and family over a game.  

I'll be honest.   I was very upset with Andrew when the news first came out.   I was livid (also a little drunk)   Then when I saw his press conference and listened to him I understood it.    He is a

He's a wuss. We aren't talking about concussions here. Nobody would question him if it was. He didn't want to rehab a strained calf and quit two weeks before the opening game .Good grief, nobody does

Posted Images

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

I'll be honest.   I was very upset with Andrew when the news first came out.   I was livid (also a little drunk)   Then when I saw his press conference and listened to him I understood it.    He is a smart guy,  made some money and wants to raise his family and be able to walk when he is old.   Can't hate him for it.   No reason to continue to bash him

homer simpson dancing GIF

You when you found out

• Haha 1

"If you're in in March, you need to be in for the entire season" -- JMV

Okay JMV, let's play this out.

Luck did not play in the preseason due to a mysterious lower leg injury. By the way it looked, he was not going to be able to play to start the season. He would have had to go through some sort of rehab on the lower leg and in his absence JB would play.

At some point in the season, Luck may have come back to play. Then at the end of the season, Luck retires.

How does this change our trajectory? How does this allow for Ballard to magically find a replacement for Luck? What new options would exist for Ballard had Luck been in for March and the entire season?

• Like 4
  • Shive changed the title to "If you're in in March, you need to be in for the entire season"

If you are comparing Peyton and Andrew Luck, then Peyton was a cut above, no doubt, w.r.t QB play and reading blitzes etc. but if you are purely looking at injuries, Peyton was way smarter, much like Brady, to avoid the big hits while Luck put himself in harm's way a bit more due to his playing style and a combination of the OL and type of offense run.

Peyton in 2008, did fight through his first major injury, with his knee bursa sac issues, fought through it and came out ahead eventually. Maybe that does factor into people's "didn't quit" perception though the reality was Luck's injuries were far greater in comparison. Folks need to take that into account, IMO. If it took Luck 10 years since being drafted to get his first major injury like Peyton did in 2008, we would be sitting pretty now.

• Like 2

In regard to JMV, 

It's pretty easy to sit back and talk about how someone else should deal with injuries, pain and rehab, when the worst injury you can get from your job is a sore throat.

I can echo Jvan's post, minus the "little drunk" part.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Luck deserves some of the ripping he gets due to the timing of his decision and how he left the Colts with not many options due to said timing.

However, ppl need to stop talking about him. He’s long gone and it’s goin to stay that way 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Peyton was way smarter, much like Brady, to avoid the big hits while Luck put himself in harm's way a bit more due to his playing style and a combination of the OL and type of offense run.

Dont think I agree! Yes, Peyton was an all around smarter player that Luck, but Luck was one of the best I have ever seen when it came to avoiding defenders and making 1 or 2 miss in the pocket! He got hit and hurt too much scrambling since he never gave up on a run! 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

The disrespect Luck gets from fans is awful. He did a lot with the garbage around him and some fans act betrayed. 

The man made a choice choosing his health and family over a game.

I have no hatred towards Luck. The timing was shocking but I understand it in the long run. 

This to the max. Luck isn’t weak or a coward; he simply could not continue to put his body through abuse. People cry about Luck quitting while former NFL players go insane from CTE or struggle to walk in old age.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

.... that's what JMV said about Luck quitting just before season started.

" he set the organization back for years to come". 

He also said there is NO COMPARISON between Peyton  and Luck. 

He said superlatives regarding Peyton while saying Luck was just a Flash in the Pan.....that's Luck's Legacy.

Wow!!!

JMV's guest hosts on Tuesday also said a few tidbits with same veiw.

The JMV comment....   is an embarrassingly stupid and ignorant comment.

It's the kind of comment that dominates AM Sports Talk Radio in every city in America. 

I've never compared Luck to Peyton.   In fact, in Year One of being a member here, I posted over and over that Luck would NEVER, EVER be as good as Peyton.    He just needed to be the best Andrew Luck that he could be.     We saw a fair amount of that his first 3 years.  We saw some of that in 15 and 16, when the team around him was much worse.  But,  we saw more of that again in 2018, which I always think as a promise of things to come under Ballard and Reich.   Sorry that never happened.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

The disrespect Luck gets from fans is awful. He did a lot with the garbage around him and some fans act betrayed. 

The man made a choice choosing his health and family over a game.

I have no hatred towards Luck. The timing was shocking but I understand it in the long run. 

You can’t get this through to certain people. “He plays football for MY team! He should do what I want! Who cares about HIS health!”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In my opinion this was much more then a injury for Luck. To me it was more mental and couldn’t get over it with the ankle. He sure looked like he could play. Just couldn’t get over the mental hurdle  and I think he had a hard time departimentalizing his life.

• Like 4

In reality he should of played the year then retired. But he must of had some pretty big demons he was battling to do that geo weeks before the season. None of us know how bad it really was.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

If you are comparing Peyton and Andrew Luck, then Peyton was a cut above, no doubt, w.r.t QB play and reading blitzes etc. but if you are purely looking at injuries, Peyton was way smarter, much like Brady, to avoid the big hits while Luck put himself in harm's way a bit more due to his playing style and a combination of the OL and type of offense run.

I agree that Luck was not at the same level as Peyton, and even if Luck had played out his entire potential career, IMO, he would not have reached the level of play that Peyton was able to reach. 

But, I do consider the following:

1. Peyton played with mostly a good to decent O-line, and also at times a bad O-line.

2. Peyton played with Faulk, Edge, and Addai at RB.

3. On offense, Peyton played with Harrison, Wayne, D. Clark, Stokely, Collie, and Garcon.

4. On defense, Peyton played with guys like Freeney, Mathis, B. Sanders, Bethea, etc.

5. Peyton had one of the better GMs.

6. Peyton had good coaching with Dungy.

There are lots of big names there that Peyton had the benefit of playing with -- some of which are in the Hall of Fame or potential Hall of Famers. Unfortunately, Luck did not have a similar supporting cast, which meant that in order to win as much as he did, Luck had to take greater physical risks, on top of what you've already mentioned, (combination of the OL and type of offense run).

Let me give you an example. In a big game against the Manning led Broncos, the Colts found themselves in third and long, (7-ish yards). A pass play was called and Luck dropped back to throw. The receivers could not get open. Luck tucked the ball and ran. As he approached the first down line, he was met by two defenders. Luck could have slid, protected himself and then the Colts attempt a field goal,  or he could have put his head down and split the defenders to get the first down to continue the drive, and keep the ball away from Manning. He chose to get the first down and go for the win.

Maybe it's bias, but from my perspective, Luck had to put his body on the line far more often in order to win.

Or imagine the following scenario: During the Colts vs. Chiefs playoff game, D. Brown fumbled at the goal line. Luck sees the loose football and makes the safe play. He jumps on the football and protects it with his body, allowing for a field goal opportunity on the next play.  In reality, Luck saw the loose football, picked it up, and hurled himself over the goal line, looking like Superman flying through the air.

• Like 4
Just now, The Fish said:

Sounds like someone took the news that Luck wasn't coming back a little hard... jeez.. lol

I dunno if I’d say that. I think a lot of people feel like I do. That door is closed. He closed it and that’s fine. But don’t come knocking on it later on and want to re-open it. 

Even with the giant blinking question mark at QB I don’t want Luck to come back. If he did it once, why shouldn’t we believe that he would take some hits, realize he remembered it a lot more fondly than it felt, and just split on us again?

When you disconnect from something like that and go back to it it just makes it easier to disconnect from it again whenever you do. 

The prospect of that happening and having to go through that whole ordeal all over again is worth just shutting the door over, and I think a lot of people feel that same way. 

3 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I dunno if I’d say that. I think a lot of people feel like I do. That door is closed. He closed it and that’s fine. But don’t come knocking on it later on and want to re-open it. 

Even with the giant blinking question mark at QB I don’t want Luck to come back. If he did it once, why shouldn’t we believe that he would take some hits, realize he remembered it a lot more fondly than it felt, and just split on us again?

When you disconnect from something like that and go back to it it just makes it easier to disconnect from it again whenever you do. 

The prospect of that happening and having to go through that whole ordeal all over again is worth just shutting the door over, and I think a lot of people feel that same way. 

I wouldn't be shocked if Ballard had hard feelings for a time, but because of the blinking red light and how much money is involved in all of this- they'd get it over it. We would too, if it worked and if it didn't, we'd complain, because sports fan. The Colts/Irsay were trying to feel this out. Not Luck coming knocking, but vice-versa. 

6 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I highly doubt a lot of people feel like you do about Luck and the door being closed.

For one thing Irsay said the door is always open so your opinion and those who feel that way is mute. 

1 hour ago, Flash7 said:

"If you're in in March, you need to be in for the entire season" -- JMV

Okay JMV, let's play this out.

Luck did not play in the preseason due to a mysterious lower leg injury. By the way it looked, he was not going to be able to play to start the season. He would have had to go through some sort of rehab on the lower leg and in his absence JB would play.

At some point in the season, Luck may have come back to play. Then at the end of the season, Luck retires.

How does this change our trajectory? How does this allow for Ballard to magically find a replacement for Luck? What new options would exist for Ballard had Luck been in for March and the entire season?

I think what JMV meant was, if Luck retired months before, rather than a week before the season, the Colts would've had legitimate chances to either draft a QB, trade for a QB, or acquire one via free agency. 

Instead, they had to roll with Jacoby and they went 7-9.  Furthermore, every indication was that this was something that Luck had mulled for a while.  He held ongoing talks with the organization. 

Regardless of where one stands on the issue of how/when Luck retired, that part is factually correct (i.e., that it would've been easier to find a replacement had he retired much earlier in the league year).

Mapping out your franchise and personnel isn't a day-to-day process, it's much more long-term than that.

To deny that the timing had a monumental negative impact on the building of the team would be factually incorrect.  And that's a separate issue from the fact that Luck is certainly entitled to do whatever he feels is best for him.

If that makes sense.

• Like 2

I was shocked, confused, sad, etc. when he retired, but I don’t have ill will towards Andrew. This is classless. This is the type of spoiled brat entitlement that makes other fans and organizations hate us so much. 

Edit: also to add to this. With that injury, he could’ve missed the entire season trying to rehab and get back. So the result would’ve been the same: rolling with JB.

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I was shocked, confused, sad, etc. when he retired, but I don’t have ill will towards Andrew. This is classless. This is the type of spoiled brat entitlement that makes other fans and organizations hate us so much. 

I personally didn't interpret JMV's comment that way.

Both things can be true: 1) Luck was (and always will be) 100% entitled to look after his best interests.  2) The manner in which Luck made his decision negatively impacted the organization.

They are separate lines of thinking.  I'm happy for Andrew, but I can't deny that the way it went down negatively impacted the Colts.  It negatively impacted his teammates as well.  But even they can still separate their admiration for their friend and their awareness that his decision likely impacted (for some, negatively) their careers.

For example, T.Y. Hilton has never been the same production-wise.  If Luck is still here, there is almost no way he wouldn't be re-signed this offseason.  Irrespective of that fact, T.Y. loves Andrew.  Perfect example of how both lines of thinking can exist without being disrespectful to Andrew.

Well he did set the team back, the timing sucked and we are still reeling now.  Personally I dont try to compare him to Peyton though.

It does seem like it was mental and he could have played, at least at some point that season.  I really dont want to be mad about this but the recent rumors brought some of that back  

• Like 2

I've honestly totally forgotten about Luck at this point. Not in a bad way, I just don't understand why he's even a topic at this point. He's been retired for multiple years at this point.

He played, he's gone, they should leave him alone now (pundits/annoyed fans).

Luck was my favorite player...the most fun I have had as a Colts fan. But he’s definitely not above criticism for making an unprecedented decision...especially with that timing. However...in his defense...I don’t believe for a second that the FO and owner were blindsided by the news as they claimed. 

And while I wouldn’t have booed Luck...I get the frustration of paying fans (who had paid good money for what is always a meaningless PS scrimmage). They were hit with huge unexpected news. And after being misled by Irsay for most of 2017...I can understand season ticket buyers (who bought them expecting to watch the Colts and Luck build off the prior season) being miffed at the thought of another 2017 type season. 

Not to mention...Luck was out throwing passes in the EZ moments before the news dropped. I am sure people were cheering at the site of that.

It was just an emotional night for sure. But I personally don’t hold anything against him. I respect the decision...and for all we know...it was one that he was planning to make (from when graduated at Stanford) at some point early in his career. 

But I also don’t buy the idea that he set the org back...other than 2019. Heaven forbid Ballard has to find a QB. I am not buying that excuse if the Colts can’t get back to deep playoff runs.

Don’t get me wrong...I would love to see him come back...but if that doesn’t happen...I am even more excited about ushering in a new era of Colts football.

He's a wuss. We aren't talking about concussions here. Nobody would question him if it was. He didn't want to rehab a strained calf and quit two weeks before the opening game .Good grief, nobody does that. 

He was a flakey west coast kid who liked to surf and snowboard even though his contract said not too. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
3 minutes ago, Iron Colt said:

He's a wuss. We aren't talking about concussions here. Nobody would question him if it was. He didn't want to rehab a strained calf and quit two weeks before the opening game .Good grief, nobody does that. 

He was a flakey west coast kid who liked to surf and snowboard even though his contract said not too. 

Do you play in the NFL?

If not you shouldn't be calling people wusses and judging a player who chooses his health and family over football. 

Season 9 No GIF by The Office

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Do you play in the NFL?

If not you shouldn't be calling people wusses and judging a player who chooses his health and family over football. 

Season 9 No GIF by The Office

Oh please, his health was rehabbing a strained calf. Philip Rivers played at with a broken foot at 39 with NINE kids. Luck wasn't the only NFL player with kids. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Iron Colt said:

Oh please, his health was rehabbing a strained calf. Philip Rivers played at 39 with NINE kids. Luck wasn't the only NFL player with kids. 

Some fans put players so high on a pedestal that they tend to overreact when they decide to retire. We can all agree that the timing was rough but to call a player a wuss after having to deal with injuries thanks to the ineptitude of building an OL seems a bit much.

God forbid he chose what's best for him. That's all that matters in the end.

Manning is an all-time great. One of the very best, bar none.  

However, after 2011, Manning would’ve been DESTROYED behind those porous lines of the Grigson era.  I remember vividly thinking at the time, thank goodness for Luck, for as great as Manning was, due to lack of mobility, there is just NO way he could’ve thrived with the post 2011 Colts like the physically gifted Luck was able to. 

After Luck’s comeback of the year, had he been physically (& mentally) right, Luck would’ve been back on a HOF trajectory.  As a fan, it was just an uber disappointing punch to the gut, the timing of which exasperated the shock. 

If he were to return, that would be so amazing. Has anybody ever won comeback player of the year twice?  Buuuut, I am well aware that we are, at best, talking a 0.001% chance of the fantasy becoming reality.  Until the Colts deal for Wentz or finalize some other QB option, people are welcome to dream. 

As for JMV, based on the tone he expressed as reported in this thread, it’s kind of really low life to term it like he did.  It’s all great to rave about Manning’s fire and commitment and to say he was without peer, but why even bring Luck into it?  Just kind of low. 

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, Iron Colt said:

Oh please, his health was rehabbing a strained calf. Philip Rivers played at with a broken foot at 39 with NINE kids. Luck wasn't the only NFL player with kids. 

You really think all Luck had was a strained calf?   You think a strained calf wouldn’t heal between February and late August?   More than six months?   Luck described himself as being in constant great pain.  Does that sound like just a strained calf to you?  Really? 

Come on now....

• Like 1