Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Speculation on Colts off season priorities

Restinpeacesweetchloe

IMO, all free agent signing are going to be secondary to what they do at quarterback.  If they trade for Darnold on his low rookie contract, they'll have more cap space to spend on retaining free agents.  If they trade for Matt Ryan and monstrous remaining contract, they'll have a lot less money to play with.  We can't even speculate on what they are "going to do" until the quarterback thing gets done.

3 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

IMO, all free agent signing are going to be secondary to what they do at quarterback.  If they trade for Darnold on his low rookie contract, they'll have more cap space to spend on retaining free agents.  If they trade for Matt Ryan and monstrous remaining contract, they'll have a lot less money to play with.  We can't even speculate on what they are "going to do" until the quarterback thing gets done.

I think even if they go with the cheaper route they won't do much else. Ballard does a great job building through the draft.

I expect a couple players to come over but nothing major. 

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Watt isn’t a free agent.  The Texans would have to trade him.

Aren't the Texans expected to release him 

3 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I think even if they go with the cheaper route they won't do much else. Ballard does a great job building through the draft.

I expect a couple players to come over but nothing major. 

Aren't the Texans expected to release him 

It’s the Texans who knows what they will really do.  

I am guessing they would explore a trade with him first but if he does get released I’d love to have Watt but I have a feeling several teams would love to have Watt.

22 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

This and it will be hard attracting FA until this QB thing is settled. If we trade for a QB it needs to be done before FA.  I expect us to sign a vet. Now whether that is the starter depends on what type of vet and whether out plans are to start a rookie or Eason.

16 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This and it will be hard attracting FA until this QB thing is settled. If we trade for a QB it needs to be done before FA.  I expect us to sign a vet. Now whether that is the starter depends on what type of vet and whether out plans are to start a rookie or Eason.

Agree 100%.  The way I see this unfolding is we try to trade for a vet 1st.  Hopefully try for Carr and if that fails try for Darnold and get it done before FA.  If that fails then I'm signing Fitzpatrick or Dalton and starting them with the hope Eason can take over maybe even this year if he progresses well enough or if we don't make the playoffs whichever comes 1st.  Eason deserves his chance.  Ballard drafted him for a reason so he sees something there.  I don't see us trading up to draft another QB after we drafted one last year.  Use this years picks to get our LT and and a CB and WR and give it a go.  Carr and even Darnold gives us a chance to at least make the playoffs.  Any other veteran probably not but we should at least find out if Eason is the answer.  

5 hours ago, w87r said:

I think the organization wants to let the young guys get more playing time. They have 3 pretty high 2nd round picks invested in Lewis, Banagou and Turay with not great results

5 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think the organization wants to let the young guys get more playing time. They have 3 pretty high 2nd round picks invested in Lewis, Banagou and Turay with not great results

As it turns out,  Lewis, Benagu and Turay just happens to be the name of the Law Firm I use!   Who knew?   <<Rim Shot!!>>

For the record,  the second round picks they were taken with were:

Lewis: pick 64   (Last pick of 2nd round)

Benagu:  pick 52

Turay:    Pick 52

All were taken with picks in the second half of the second round.   Their ultimate future has not yet been written. 

Archived