Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Speculation on Colts off season priorities

Restinpeacesweetchloe

21 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The only name on that list that surprises me (a bit, not a lot) is Justin Houston.  I figured they’d try to extend JH at least one more year.  His tackles fell quite a bit from 47 to 25.  But he still had 8 sacks, which isn’t bad.

Maybe there’s just too much distance between his asking price and our best offer.

Not surprised to see them part ways with Walker, though.  That writing has been going up on the wall for a while.

7 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

The only name on that list that surprises me (a bit, not a lot) is Justin Houston.  I figured they’d try to extend JH at least one more year.  His tackles fell quite a bit from 47 to 25.  But he still had 8 sacks, which isn’t bad.

Maybe there’s just too much distance between his asking price and our best offer.

Not surprised to see them part ways with Walker, though.  That writing has been going up on the wall for a while.

I think they can’t bring both Autry and Huston back. At this point Autry is more valuable. If Buck goes down he can play 3 tech. Autry can play anywhere on the line.

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

MEH, This is rumor. No one holds their cards closer than Ballard. No one on twitter is going to know. Just all taking guesses.

I will tell you this is not guesses. They have sources and they have been right. But like they said these guys may get better offers so just because Ballard wants them doesn’t mean it will happen. The colts QB situation can really hurt getting players back.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think they can’t bring both Autry and Huston back. At this point Autry is more valuable. If Buck goes down he can play 3 tech. Autry can play anywhere on the line.

Houston will be entering his 11th year in the league.  So he’s already in his 3rd Act.  Typically a DE’s $ value declines a good bit around here, particularly if production has softened (which it has).

Maybe the more accurate way to say it isn’t that we can’t keep both, but that we can’t keep both based on what he’s expecting to get (and thinks he could get on the FA market).

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

MEH, This is rumor. No one holds their cards closer than Ballard. No one on twitter is going to know. Just all taking guesses.

Ballard isn’t the only guy in the building who knows what his priorities and thinking are.  It would be different if he was the only one who knew what he’s thinking.  But he’s not.

I can believe that others with this knowledge are sharing some of it.

They almost have to bring back Rhodes. Carrie seems like the type that can be replaced with another flyer FA...but if he's cheap...I don't see the harm in having more CB depth.

Surprising that they would choose Autry over Houston. They are both older players...but I think I would take the one with the better track record. Ideally, they have the ERs to not have to bring back either...but that's not the case.

I think they were always going to let Walker go. Get a Day 3 comp pick and move on.

3 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Houston will be entering his 11th year in the league.  So he’s already in his 3rd Act.  Typically a DE’s $ value declines a good bit around here, particularly if production has softened (which it has).

Maybe the more accurate way to say it isn’t that we can’t keep both, but that we can’t keep both based on what he’s expecting to get (and thinks he could get on the FA market).

Yeah I think we can go get a younger upgrade to Houston. Jason said that is a priority. 

3 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Ballard isn’t the only guy in the building who knows what his priorities and thinking are.  It would be different if he was the only one who knew what he’s thinking.  But he’s not.

I can believe that others with this knowledge are sharing some of it.

this is true, but leaks in the Ballard era have been very very limited. 

1 minute ago, Fluke_33 said:

What did these guys say about stafford?  After reading all of those tweets about us getting him I’m done trusting any twits now   If these guys said something different I’d be more open to them but heck even Bowen implied it was likely. 

They didn’t have anything on him. All you guys need to know is they had the coaching hires days before. The Indy media is even going to them for info. Just have to realize sometimes things change so not everything will come to fruition.

14 minutes ago, w87r said:

No kidding. He's the only Colts DL player on any of those lists. Even DeFo isn't winning on pass rushes half as often as Houston.

If they are moving on...I hope it's because they have a plan to replace Houston's snaps. Would love to make a play on Ngakoue.

30 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

20 sacks the last two years. I think Houston has been great and if be disappointed not to see him back. 

I think TJ Carrie is an under-rated name on that list that hadn't been talked about much. He's no world beater but he was extremely solid for the most part last season. He's exactly what you want in a depth/role player.

25 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

No kidding. He's the only Colts DL player on any of those lists. Even DeFo isn't winning on pass rushes half as often as Houston.

If they are moving on...I hope it's because they have a plan to replace Houston's snaps. Would love to make a play on Ngakoue.

It is probably one of 2 things - they expect an age based decline with Houston or want to cover their bases with a younger player of similar quality they want to go after to free up BPA options in the draft. 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Autry but not Houston.  Interesting.  No Walker is not a surprise.

Not resigning Houston isn't a huge surprise. He had a down year, and is getting old. A quality DE should be able to generate sacks when Buckner is commanding so much attention.

Also Autry is more valuable due to his position flexibility. He can play both DE and 3tech DT. 

30 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Haha really? Do you have that tweet?

Sorry, but no, I don’t archive such things.

Just search TY’s Twitter and you should find his Q&A no problem, then just read through all the Qs and TY’s responses.  

Seth Harmeyer

@harmnasty64

·

Jan 29Replying to

@TYHilton13

Favorite teammate all time?

12”

• Nadine changed the title to Speculation on Colts off season priorities
1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

He had a down year

He really didn't. Maybe sack numbers were lower than usual, but he was tied for #4 out of every edge rusher in the league in pass rush win%.

There is nothing down about that.

3 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

maybe Ballard has an edge guy (or two) in mind that he thinks will be there at #21 if he keeps it

18 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

Not surprised on Autry over Houston. It looked like Houston was losing it toward the end last year. I hope we can sign the defensive end from the Bengals (Stewart) to take that spot.

I don't see us bringing Rhodes back, but I won't complain.

Carl Lawson?

Archived