Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

An Andrew Luck Post for Consideration.....

NewColtsFan

I'll say what I am sure many are thinking, but don't want the backlash from this Luck "rear kissing" party.

Grigson started preparing the QB purgatory recipe and Luck made sure it was fully cooked. 

Can't believe the same people who rail on Grigson give Luck a free pass.  

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, jmac_48 said:

@NewColtsFan

Thanks for what you said, how you said it.

I have been harboring some anger and resentment toward Andrew, seeing it laid out in black and white like you have has finally gotten me through my grief therapy.

Although I still have "what if" regret, I think I am no longer angry with Andrew Luck one of my favorite players ever...

and that's from a kid that's been a Colts fan since the 50's. haha

Thanks again!

JMac.....

Wow...   this was very unexpected.   You're very kind.  

And, of course,  you're very welcome.    Andrew is one of my all-time favorite players as well.   We're both sorry he's no longer around.    Now we're all hoping for a new QB and better days ahead....

10 minutes ago, esmort said:

I'll say what I am sure many are thinking, but don't want the backlash from this Luck "rear kissing" party.

Grigson started preparing the QB purgatory recipe and Luck made sure it was fully cooked. 

Can't believe the same people who rail on Grigson give Luck a free pass.  

I started this thread,  so I feel somewhat compelled to respond here.

The first big paragraph of my post was me saying Luck screwed up his own retirement and so people are rightfully angry with him and Luck deserves it.    That in his quest for privacy he left people confused and angry.   I said he had it coming.

I don't see many here giving him a free pass.

Not me.    Not most posters in this discussion.

I don't even know what you mean by "Luck made sure it was fully cooked"    Can you explain?

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I started this thread,  so I feel somewhat compelled to respond here.

The first big paragraph of my post was me saying Luck screwed up his own retirement and so people are rightfully angry with him and Luck deserves it.    That in his quest for privacy he left people confused and angry.   I said he had it coming.

I don't see many here giving him a free pass.

Not me.    Not most posters in this discussion.

I don't even know what you mean by "Luck made sure it was fully cooked"    Can you explain?

The way he handled it left us no backup plan.  He should have let someone know much earlier that the injury was causing him to question his priorities. I don't believe that he had not been thinking about this for a while. I suspected from early on that one day one of his other interests might possibly replace football as a priority. I find it hard to believe he wasn't aware he wasn't one of those guys that lived and breathed football. 

His major injuries and  complications started early enough we could have either drafted a potential replacement or acquired draft assets in preparation for him possibly deciding his priority was not football if he would have made the Colts aware earlier. 

@NewColtsFan   :thanks:  :thanks:  :thanks:

Oh... and  :thanks:!!!!!!

I have been wanting to make a thread like this since Andrew retired, but there was so much vitriol toward him that it always felt like the thread would nosedive into "locked" territory sooner rather than later.  It may feel like a "new" school of thought, but some were calling him soft and weak as soon as he retired.

I absolutely HATE the way his retirement happened.  And there is plenty of blame to go around.  Luck takes some of the blame, Ballard takes some of the blame, and the rest of us kinda take the rest of the blame with our "I-need-to-know-right-now-so-let's-tweet-about-it" society demanding everything right now and then over-reacting to it immediately... but that's a different topic.  haha

Andrew could have avoided this whole fiasco if he had done what Philip just did: as soon as the season is over, you make the decision, and you say "no, this is what I'm doing, this is when I'm doing it, and this is how I'm doing it."  Rivers went to an old San DIego beat-writer to announce his retirement in a very cool and old-school way.  If Andrew had done that, this would all be a funny sidestory in NFL history.

But Andrew Luck is a people-pleaser.  And him retiring flips the Colts and Chris Ballards world upside down, just when things are starting to turn the corner.  I firmly believe that Luck and Ballard had a conversation after the 2018 season ended, where Ballard walked away feeling like Luck was struggling, but might get back into the groove and be his franchise QB moving forward, while Luck entertained the same idea in the hope that everything would work out and everybody would be happy, but ultimately realized it was best for him to just retire.

I'm not mad at Luck.  I'm not mad at Ballard.  I'm not even mad at the people still harboring resentment toward Andrew.  I'm just glad we can talk about it now.  Andrew Luck could have handled his retirement MUCH better than he did, but he deserves our understanding, our respect, and our thanks for his time in Indy.  He will ALWAYS be one of my favorite Colts, and I thoroughly enjoyed watching him play for us.

Luck single-handedly made 2012-2018 a heckuva time to be a Colts fan!

The things he did with the "supporting" cast around him...  (if you didn't notice Trent Richardson, Samson Satele, or Lavon Brazill in that highlight clip, you're not alone...) 

Side question:  Did Andrew Luck ever lose to the Titans?

1 hour ago, esmort said:

The way he handled it left us no backup plan.  He should have let someone know much earlier that the injury was causing him to question his priorities. I don't believe that he had not been thinking about this for a while. I suspected from early on that one day one of his other interests might possibly replace football as a priority. I find it hard to believe he wasn't aware he wasn't one of those guys that lived and breathed football. 

His major injuries and  complications started early enough we could have either drafted a potential replacement or acquired draft assets in preparation for him possibly deciding his priority was not football if he would have made the Colts aware earlier. 

I’m guessing you didn’t read my whole post? 

I wrote that I think it’s likely that Luck was ready to retire earlier and that the team encouraged him to take his time before deciding.  That more time may have allowed his lower leg injury to heal and Luck’s career to continue. 

I think the decision to replace Luck with Brissett was made early.  Supporting that theory is that Ballard extended JB fir two years when he didn’t have to.  The front office and coaches believed in JB.   So he was the backup plan.   It didn’t work out. 

Im not trying to absolve Luck.   He massively screwed up the end of his career.   The stink around him is HIS FAULT.  

That’s all I’m asking people to consider...

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

@NewColtsFan   :thanks:  :thanks:  :thanks:

Oh... and  :thanks:!!!!!!

I have been wanting to make a thread like this since Andrew retired, but there was so much vitriol toward him that it always felt like the thread would nosedive into "locked" territory sooner rather than later.  It may feel like a "new" school of thought, but some were calling him soft and weak as soon as he retired.

I absolutely HATE the way his retirement happened.  And there is plenty of blame to go around.  Luck takes some of the blame, Ballard takes some of the blame, and the rest of us kinda take the rest of the blame with our "I-need-to-know-right-now-so-let's-tweet-about-it" society demanding everything right now and then over-reacting to it immediately... but that's a different topic.  haha

Andrew could have avoided this whole fiasco if he had done what Philip just did: as soon as the season is over, you make the decision, and you say "no, this is what I'm doing, this is when I'm doing it, and this is how I'm doing it."  Rivers went to an old San DIego beat-writer to announce his retirement in a very cool and old-school way.  If Andrew had done that, this would all be a funny sidestory in NFL history.

But Andrew Luck is a people-pleaser.  And him retiring flips the Colts and Chris Ballards world upside down, just when things are starting to turn the corner.  I firmly believe that Luck and Ballard had a conversation after the 2018 season ended, where Ballard walked away feeling like Luck was struggling, but might get back into the groove and be his franchise QB moving forward, while Luck entertained the same idea in the hope that everything would work out and everybody would be happy, but ultimately realized it was best for him to just retire.

I'm not mad at Luck.  I'm not mad at Ballard.  I'm not even mad at the people still harboring resentment toward Andrew.  I'm just glad we can talk about it now.  Andrew Luck could have handled his retirement MUCH better than he did, but he deserves our understanding, our respect, and our thanks for his time in Indy.  He will ALWAYS be one of my favorite Colts, and I thoroughly enjoyed watching him play for us.

Luck single-handedly made 2012-2018 a heckuva time to be a Colts fan!

The things he did with the "supporting" cast around him...  (if you didn't notice Trent Richardson, Samson Satele, or Lavon Brazill in that highlight clip, you're not alone...) 

Side question:  Did Andrew Luck ever lose to the Titans?

Wow, LCF....    no need to thank me.   But I want to thank you!   Yours is the latest very good post in this thread.  All of these posts have helped put events into sharp focus.  

Really appreciate you taking the time to write such a long thoughtful post.         :thmup:

Archived