Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Men (Or Man) At Work

oldunclemark

Manning Already at Work

By Stuart Zaas

Posted Mar 29, 2012

Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning is already hard at work as a Denver Bronco.

120320_manning1_inside.jpg

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Newly signed quarterback Peyton Manningicon-article-link.gif isn’t wasting any time. With the team for barely more than one week, he has already gotten to work, devoting his time to working out and learning the team’s playbook.

“I’ve pretty much just been sleeping over here at the complex the past week and a half, trying to study this playbook,” he told KKFN in a radio interview Wednesday.

The offensive coaches will utilize the strengths of the 15th-year pro in their scheme this season, something that Head Coach John Fox said they’d be remiss not to do.

“As he would tell you, he’s done it a certain way for 14 years and obviously had great success,” Fox said at the NFL owners meetings. “We’d kind of be silly if we wouldn’t take some of what he’s done in the past and utilize his strengths and comfort zone.”

Manning has already gathered some of his teammates for informal workouts in the Denver area.

Under terms of the new NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement, players are not able to participate in club-supervised workouts with coaches until the teams’ official offseason programs begin in April.

Manning is allowed to rehab under the eyes of the Broncos’ trainers and use the team’s facility for his injury rehabilitation, which he has.

“I’m glad to be with the team, to be into a normal routine lifting weights over here, throwing with the receivers,” he said about organizing the informal workouts. “That makes me feel more comfortable and I’m glad to be in that routine.”

Fox is excited to see the effect that Manning has on his teammates one the team re-gathers for OTAs.

“He paints great pictures, no doubt. I think he’ll raise all boats on our offense—it doesn’t matter whether it’s players or coaches,” he said. “We’re really excited. We know his M.O., he’s a general out there who does a great job, and we’re looking forward to him doing that to our offense.”

The Broncos’ second-year head coach isn’t concerned with not being able to instruct the signal caller until April. The team has shared the playbook and film as permitted by the CBA and trusts that the veteran quarterback will take advantage of the materials.

“There’s been exchange of information, whether it be on paper or on video, but with the new CBA rules that’s what we’re allowed to do,” Fox said. “Those are the steps we’ve taken to this point. We’ve got plenty of time—it’s still the month of March. Once we’re able to get the players in the building, we’ve got plenty of time to get anything and everything we need to installed. We got quite a bit installed during the season a year ago, so we’ll be fine.”

Manning said during his introductory press conference that he came to Denver with the goal of winning Super Bowls. He knows that the work the team puts forth in the offseason on its own will pay off come September.

“I feel I have an obligation to my teammates, to the coaches, to management, to the owner, Mr. Bowlen, for bringing me here, to go out and be the best quarterback I can be to help them win,” Manning said. “I have a job to do and they’ve made a commitment to me. And so I’m committed to doing everything I can to help them.

"That’s what I’ve always tried to do and, like I said, I have work to do, and that’s why I’m here and haven’t left here since I signed last Tuesday.

And plan on being here all offseason, trying to get ready to play and get ready to win some games this year."

That's a good point...

How good does Peyton have to be before the Tebow fans go back to being Bronco fans?

Well at lot weren't Broncos fans in the first place, but even though it was a bit of a fluke, Peyton will need to get at least to the AFC championship game to make it worth it to many. Going to be a lot of pressure on him. 2nd hardest schedule in the league (next to Giants) just based on last year's records.

Well at lot weren't Broncos fans in the first place, but even though it was a bit of a fluke, Peyton will need to get at least to the AFC championship game to make it worth it to many. Going to be a lot of pressure on him. 2nd hardest schedule in the league (next to Giants) just based on last year's records.

If anyone can handle the pressure I think it would be Peyton. I think the really true Bronco fans will be excited to see a great QB play the game. JMO of course.

Broncos had an excellent oppurtunity, I wont say once in a lifetime thats a bit much but they had to take it. also keep in mind Elway did say he would work with Tim this offseason, I see why they traded him, cause if Peyton does struggle then alot of fans will call for Tebow, I see both sides, still a raw deal for Tebow who deserved better, but I bet at some point he will get his oppurtunity if and when Sanchez struggles, I like Tebow as well, hes good for the sport and with some proper coaching can learn

I heard some saying Peyton went the easier route to the Super Bowl and I just dont see that...

Whereever he went...its Super Bowl or bust....and he's replacing God in Denver

if he'd have gone to Tennesse, he'd have been God

Broncos schedule is brutal next year - it's not an easy road to superbowl at least in year one.

Heard Eric Decker on the radio this morning. He's been working with Peyton for 3 weeks in Denver now. Says the prep is amazing. Thinks Peyton's arm is ready to go right now. Says Peyton gets mad at himself when he hits Eric in the belly instead of the chest.

Broncos schedule is brutal next year - it's not an easy road to superbowl at least in year one.

Heard Eric Decker on the radio this morning. He's been working with Peyton for 3 weeks in Denver now. Says the prep is amazing. Thinks Peyton's arm is ready to go right now. Says Peyton gets mad at himself when he hits Eric in the belly instead of the chest.

Cowherd? I caught part of that interview but obviously missed parts of it.

From CBS rapid reports

WR Eric Decker has been working out with QB Peyton Manning at a local high school and told ESPN Radio on Monday there is "no question" Manning's arm strength has returned to where he could start if the Broncos played this week. "The guy's still throwing the ball a long time, throwing it great, hitting you in the right spot," Decker said.

Peyton on a radio interview said the tricky thing was trying to not get Decker hit by a Javelin during the high school's track practice

That's funny...

I'm just amazed at this guy running around 4 months before the season....dragging teammates he just met around to high school grounds to practice on...

Imagine him walking up to the girls JV track coach and asking if he can use the south end of the field

They said on Denver radio today that they are going to give Manning the security code to the facilities so he can come and go as he pleases since he's there more than anyone else. He also asked for pictures of everyone on staff so he can learn everyone's names. The Denver press is already raving that he knows all of their names already.

They said on Denver radio today that they are going to give Manning the security code to the facilities so he can come and go as he pleases since he's there more than anyone else. He also asked for pictures of everyone on staff so he can learn everyone's names. The Denver press is already raving that he knows all of their names already.

One would think he would have been given the code to start with.

I read something like that with the photos and bios of players/staff etc, just so he can know more about them so when he does talk to them he can have bullet points to talk about.

One would think he would have been given the code to start with.

I read something like that with the photos and bios of players/staff etc, just so he can know more about them so when he does talk to them he can have bullet points to talk about.

FJC...you would know this.....why cant a player under contafct who can enter the facilities use the field to practice on?

..is that an NFLPA rule?

That's probably what Jim Irsay meant when he said Manning is a politician...

..That sounds like somenody running for office...or the new CEO of a company

..but when you get paid what he's pulling down...you need to lead...

FJC...you would know this.....why cant a player under contafct who can enter the facilities use the field to practice on?

..is that an NFLPA rule?

What exactly is the question?

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20250373/broncos-peyton-manning-beats-fear-factor-his-return

And, under the new CBA:

Manning can organize workouts on his own with his new teammates until April 16. Those workouts cannot take place at the Broncos' Dove Valley complex and cannot be supervised by any member of the coaching staff.

Manning cannot use the practice fields at Dove Valley under the supervision or instruction of the coaching staff until May 2.

He can throw with the team's medical and training staff as part of his recovery from neck surgery. But those throwing sessions cannot include any Broncos receivers under contract with the team, until April 16.

Manning can get a playbook for "voluntary study," but the playbook must have been available to any other player on the roster as well. However, with any playbook the Broncos would have given to Manning, the team cannot include any additional coaching materials, and the coaches cannot answer any of his questions until April 16.

CBA rules trying to reduce the amount of time players spend at the facility and the amount of instruction they receive.

Eventually it will sink in what exactly we lost.

The greatest run of any team for over 12 years wasn't an accident, it had nothing to do with Bill Polian or Jim Irsay, it had to do with the work ethic of a work-aholic-aries (March 24th birthday) whose mere presence escalates the discipline of those around him.

Personally, I would have kept that streak going for another 1-2 years rather than trade it in for the possibilty of something good happening over the next 10 years. The logic is that you have a higher chance for 2 superbowl wins in the next 2 years than you do revamping and winning 2 superbowls over the next 10 years.

Proof of that logic being accurate is in the vegas odds set to win the superbowl.

What exactly is the question?

http://www.denverpos...ctor-his-return

CBA rules trying to reduce the amount of time players spend at the facility and the amount of instruction they receive.

What would you say is the purpose of prohibiting YOUR players from working in the off season at YOUR team facility.

.limiting the time they spend there and the instruction they get...

How is that good for the NFLPA...which I'm assuming asked for this in the CBA?

What would you say is the purpose of prohibiting YOUR players from working in the off season at YOUR team facility.

.limiting the time they spend there and the instruction they get...

How is that good for the NFLPA...which I'm assuming asked for this in the CBA?

I don't know if it's working out the way they wanted it to, but the point was to give players a true off season. They felt too many were being pressured to go to "optional" workouts that weren't being perceived as optional any more.

I don't know if it's working out the way they wanted it to, but the point was to give players a true off season. They felt too many were being pressured to go to "optional" workouts that weren't being perceived as optional any more.

So its an us vs. them rule..?

'Managment's always out to >>> us./.so we need rules that say they cant make us work hard'..

The NFLPA fights management on everything..that's why they cant even accept excessive violence rules

which are in their best interest...

Unfortunate.

So its an us vs. them rule..?

'Managment's always out to >>> us./.so we need rules that say they cant make us work hard'..

The NFLPA fights management on everything..that's why they cant even accept excessive violence rules

which are in their best interest...

Unfortunate.

Peyton hates the new rules. Says he keeps complaining to Jeff Saturday about them. But, it's probably people like Peyton they are trying to protect the rest of the league from, lol.