Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Quarterback watch list (Merge)

Not very indepth look at the Colts FA/Draft Options at QB

FA or Trade QBs 

-Dak Prescott: Definitely the best QB out of the entire class. Although paying (most Likely) 40M for a good QB that most likely won’t bring a team to a SB is too much. I also think the Cowboys will bring him back. Move Grade: 6/10

-Mitchell Trubisky: This is intriguing but I don’t think Mitch will ever be anything special. If he goes to a good team will most likely have a career like Kirk Cousins or Derek Carr where they’re good but nothing in terms of winning a conference chanpionship. Move Grade: 7/10 

-Jameis Winston: Very talented but definitely has character issues and that takes him off my radar. Not like terrible character issues, but enough to where the Colts wouldn’t go after him. I also think the Saints will retain him. This won’t happen Move Grade: 4/10

-Ryan Fitzpatrick: This is a really good move if the Colts are really confident in Jacob Eason (or draft a QB/trade for Darnold) and hope to have Fitzpatrick to start out the season and play about 8 games then give it to Eason. Although I think it takes us out of real contention. Maybe (really big maybe) we go 10-6 and make the playoffs but we’d be much worse than last year. Move Grade: 7/10

-Jacoby Brissett: No, just no. At least with other QBs on this list it’ll be some what entertaining to watch. Move Grade: 4/10  

-Cam Newton: Has a lot of talent, but did not look good last year at all. As well as Character doesn’t fit with the Colts. Move Grade: 2/10

-Andy Dalton: This would be the same situation as Ryan Fitzpatrick. Move Grade 6/10 

-Marcus Mariota: I don’t think he’s good at all. When the Titans traded for Tannehill I knew he would take over at some point the following season. He’ll be a journeyman the rest of his career. Move Grade: 1/10

-Sam Darnold: I could really like this move for maybe a third but anything more and you’re just giving up too much for a young QB to develop when you already have one. What I would like is to get someone with a little experience like Dalton or Fitzpatrick and let Darnold sit for some time until he’s ready. I could really see this being a realistic scenario and wouldn’t mind it if we traded a third and maybe a 2022 6th or 7th. Move Grade 8/10

-Jimmy Garapolo: I don’t want a QB of mediocrity. This move makes us a 10-11 win team every year but will never advance in the playoffs. I also don’t think the 49ers will part ways with him now that Stafford is gone. Move Grade 2/10

Draft QBs

- Justin Fields: I think he’s the best QB in this class not named Trevor Lawerence. He has great character, great mobility with a really talented arm. He showed a lot of toughness when he played through two injuries, one in the big ten championship in 2019 and the other against Clemson in the 2021 semi final playoff game. Both injuries were during the game and the next play he got back on the field, he threw a TD pass! I really don’t see the Colts trading up to 2 to get him nor would I want it cause it would take too much draft capital. 

-Zach Wilson: He’s such a good prospect for a lot of the reasons Justin Fields is, good character, good mobility, and great arm talent. He too will cost tons of draft capital to get so I don’t think its very realistic. 

-Trey Lance: I think this would be a great move. The best runner in this class by far as well as he has great character and a really good arm. Ha, all these QBs are a lot alike in the ways I’m describing them. Obviously they aren’t that similar if I were going indepth but that’s not what this is. My main knock on him is that he only played one year so it would take a longer time to develop him(multiple years). There isn’t really any QB we could acquire that could be the starting QB for 1-2 years. If he were there at 21 i think you take him but I wouldn’t go out of my way to get him. 

-Mac Jones: Nothing about him really gets me excited. First off, he’s an alabama QB and that right out of the get-go is something to look at. Secondly, he was throwing to most likely 2 first round picks at WR as well as handing it off to a possible 2nd round pick. This is definitely the most likely option in the draft but I just don’t see why you would get an average developmental guy using a first rounder when you already have one in Eason who is much more talented and has a lot higher of a ceiling. I would only draft him if he fell to our second round pick. 

-Kyle Trask: Have only seen about 5 of his games but he doesn’t seem better than Eason at all. At least with Mac Jones you’re getting a stable thrower who can read a defense better. Now granted my opinion of him is a little skewered cause I haven’t seen too much of him but he just doesn’t seem like a Franchise QB. 

Most Realistic option would either be trading for Sam Darnold or taking Mac Jones with #21. Ballard isn’t the guy to trade 3 first round picks to move up to 2 and pretty much put his entire future into a 22 year old. If either of these guys were brought in there would most likely be a veteran QB as well cause I don’t think either of them are ready to start week 1. 

Stafford going to LA really hurt us and made so much sense. I trust Ballard to get the QB. Don’t expect the QB to start week 1 next year to be the guy of the future would be my guess. I thank anyone who read this far, I wasn't planning on posting this, I was just kinda brainstorming and thought I kinda wanna see what other colts fans think of the crappy situation were in in terms of QB. 

8 hours ago, CaptainColt12 said:

FA or Trade QBs 

-Dak Prescott: Definitely the best QB out of the entire class. Although paying (most Likely) 40M for a good QB that most likely won’t bring a team to a SB is too much. I also think the Cowboys will bring him back. Move Grade: 6/10

-Mitchell Trubisky: This is intriguing but I don’t think Mitch will ever be anything special. If he goes to a good team will most likely have a career like Kirk Cousins or Derek Carr where they’re good but nothing in terms of winning a conference chanpionship. Move Grade: 7/10 

-Jameis Winston: Very talented but definitely has character issues and that takes him off my radar. Not like terrible character issues, but enough to where the Colts wouldn’t go after him. I also think the Saints will retain him. This won’t happen Move Grade: 4/10

-Ryan Fitzpatrick: This is a really good move if the Colts are really confident in Jacob Eason (or draft a QB/trade for Darnold) and hope to have Fitzpatrick to start out the season and play about 8 games then give it to Eason. Although I think it takes us out of real contention. Maybe (really big maybe) we go 10-6 and make the playoffs but we’d be much worse than last year. Move Grade: 7/10

-Jacoby Brissett: No, just no. At least with other QBs on this list it’ll be some what entertaining to watch. Move Grade: 4/10  

-Cam Newton: Has a lot of talent, but did not look good last year at all. As well as Character doesn’t fit with the Colts. Move Grade: 2/10

-Andy Dalton: This would be the same situation as Ryan Fitzpatrick. Move Grade 6/10 

-Marcus Mariota: I don’t think he’s good at all. When the Titans traded for Tannehill I knew he would take over at some point the following season. He’ll be a journeyman the rest of his career. Move Grade: 1/10

-Sam Darnold: I could really like this move for maybe a third but anything more and you’re just giving up too much for a young QB to develop when you already have one. What I would like is to get someone with a little experience like Dalton or Fitzpatrick and let Darnold sit for some time until he’s ready. I could really see this being a realistic scenario and wouldn’t mind it if we traded a third and maybe a 2022 6th or 7th. Move Grade 8/10

-Jimmy Garapolo: I don’t want a QB of mediocrity. This move makes us a 10-11 win team every year but will never advance in the playoffs. I also don’t think the 49ers will part ways with him now that Stafford is gone. Move Grade 2/10

Draft QBs

- Justin Fields: I think he’s the best QB in this class not named Trevor Lawerence. He has great character, great mobility with a really talented arm. He showed a lot of toughness when he played through two injuries, one in the big ten championship in 2019 and the other against Clemson in the 2021 semi final playoff game. Both injuries were during the game and the next play he got back on the field, he threw a TD pass! I really don’t see the Colts trading up to 2 to get him nor would I want it cause it would take too much draft capital. 

-Zach Wilson: He’s such a good prospect for a lot of the reasons Justin Fields is, good character, good mobility, and great arm talent. He too will cost tons of draft capital to get so I don’t think its very realistic. 

-Trey Lance: I think this would be a great move. The best runner in this class by far as well as he has great character and a really good arm. Ha, all these QBs are a lot alike in the ways I’m describing them. Obviously they aren’t that similar if I were going indepth but that’s not what this is. My main knock on him is that he only played one year so it would take a longer time to develop him(multiple years). There isn’t really any QB we could acquire that could be the starting QB for 1-2 years. If he were there at 21 i think you take him but I wouldn’t go out of my way to get him. 

-Mac Jones: Nothing about him really gets me excited. First off, he’s an alabama QB and that right out of the get-go is something to look at. Secondly, he was throwing to most likely 2 first round picks at WR as well as handing it off to a possible 2nd round pick. This is definitely the most likely option in the draft but I just don’t see why you would get an average developmental guy using a first rounder when you already have one in Eason who is much more talented and has a lot higher of a ceiling. I would only draft him if he fell to our second round pick. 

-Kyle Trask: Have only seen about 5 of his games but he doesn’t seem better than Eason at all. At least with Mac Jones you’re getting a stable thrower who can read a defense better. Now granted my opinion of him is a little skewered cause I haven’t seen too much of him but he just doesn’t seem like a Franchise QB. 

Most Realistic option would either be trading for Sam Darnold or taking Mac Jones with #21. Ballard isn’t the guy to trade 3 first round picks to move up to 2 and pretty much put his entire future into a 22 year old. If either of these guys were brought in there would most likely be a veteran QB as well cause I don’t think either of them are ready to start week 1. 

Stafford going to LA really hurt us and made so much sense. I trust Ballard to get the QB. Don’t expect the QB to start week 1 next year to be the guy of the future would be my guess. I thank anyone who read this far, I wasn't planning on posting this, I was just kinda brainstorming and thought I kinda wanna see what other colts fans think of the crappy situation were in in terms of QB. 

I think Fitz would be a good veteran pickup to get us through 2021 and it wouldnt be a huge hit to our cap space. Then we pick up Jones or Lance in the draft. If our draft pick wins starting position, we're still not paying Fitz an insane amount to play backup

6 minutes ago, BlueSince87 said:

I think Fitz would be a good veteran pickup to get us through 2021 and it wouldnt be a huge hit to our cap space. Then we pick up Jones or Lance in the draft. If our draft pick wins starting position, we're still not paying Fitz an insane amount to play backup

Sounds like a good plan.

Welcome to the :colts: forum.

1 hour ago, BlueSince87 said:

Fitz is one of my favorites at the moment for the same reason. I just think he makes sense to give us one more year to allow Eason to sit and learn more, while keeping us competitive. I don't think drafting a QB this year makes a ton of sense, because any Qb that's around at 21 most likely wouldn't be a better option than Eason.

Lance is very intriguing, but I'm not high on Jones at all.

2 hours ago, BlueSince87 said:

Or we pick up Fitz, stick with Eason, and use the draft for a LT or and Edge.  

18 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Or we pick up Fitz, stick with Eason, and use the draft for a LT or and Edge.  

I just dont think Eason is the future...and next years QB draft class is unimpressive. We're built to win NOW. Fitz will only be good for 1-2 seasons...I know it doesn't really make a difference, but most mock drafts I've done have us picking up Trask, or Lance if he falls to us, but I think Jones is a great candidate. With the front line we already have, i think we can get a good G or T in the 2nd that will work well.

Can it be draft day already so we can all relax a little? Lol

Philip Rivers

Matthew Stafford

Deshaun Watson - Player doesn't like the team.  Team won't trade within division.  Could be outbid by other teams.

Matt Ryan - Cost prohibitive cap hit, with a ceiling on returns both in quality and longevity.

Sam Darnold - Underperformed under bad coach, but still has potential.  Does not fulfill "win now" needs.

Tua Tagovailoa - What happened here?  What do the Dolphins know that we don't know?

Dak Prescott - Waaaaay too expensive, with an owner determined to pay any price.

Mac Jones - Nat'l champion with Alabama.  But, then so was AJ McCarron.

Jacoby Brissett - Been there, done that.  Best backup in league.  You can with with him, but not because of him.

Andy Dalton - Stint with Cowboys told us what we needed to know.  Time to retire.

Jacob Eason - Arm to dream of.  But no time to learn how to "play" the game.

Trey Lance - Joystick player, vs lesser competition, with only 1 game played in 2020.

Ryan Fitzpatrick - Desperation indicator.  If you sign him, you totally flubbed all your other options.

Mitchell Trubisky - Why would you?

Tyrod Taylor - See above.

AJ McCarron - See above x2.

I want us to go all in for Fields or Wilson in that order.  Ballard has built a solid roster and has shown the ability to draft wisely.  Get the rookie now whereas we can have him cost controlled for 4-5 years.  Allows us to re-sign Leonard, Smith, & Big Q over the next couple years.  Ballard has also shown an ability to move down and acquire more picks while still pick up quality players.  So I expect him to be able to wheel and deal and recoup some of the lost draft capital we’d lose in moving up for our franchise QB.  

Jags & Texans could both be rebuilding (our overall roster is better than both anyway) & our roster matches up very well with the Titans (I actually think it’s better).  I believe either Fields or Wilson can go head to head with Tannehill and still have us competing for the AFC South crown next season.  By the time Lawrence and the Jags are ready to be competitive, we’d have a head start on them, we’d have regained control of the AFC South, and we’d have a franchise QB to rival theirs.  One that could go toe to toe with Trevor and even outplay him. 

With reports that Houston is seeking 2 1s, 2 2s, and 2 young defenders/possible starters..... 

They'll likely never even consider Indy, unless they think DeShaun would demand the trade and only lift the no-trade for Indy..... That said.... Would you give that up for him?

I think I would .... The two players makes it shy of a no-brainer.... But I believe I'd try something like 2 1s, 2 2s, Okereke, and Ya-Sin/turAy......

I get we don't know what we have in Eason, but is that any different drafting a QB in the first round? Eason imo would have been a first round pick this year if he went back to Washington. I honestly think he's a better prospect then Zach Wilson and Kyle Trask

24 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I get we don't know what we have in Eason, but is that any different drafting a QB in the first round? Eason imo would have been a first round pick this year if he went back to Washington. I honestly think he's a better prospect then Zach Wilson and Kyle Trask

I have said all along that Eason would be our starting QB.

When that happens I haven't a clue. 

When Ballard said he wasn't ready that was then. Who knows after a training camp and a couple of pre season games? When players are not quite ready there comes a point when they are. 

24 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Ive been saying the same thing.  Maybe I’m prejudiced because I’m a Buckeye, but Fields is the only rookie (forget about Lawrence) that we know gives us an added dimension over Eason.  

I’ve read that the Colts love him but I really can’t see Ballard giving up that much draft capital to move up.  

1 hour ago, Shafty138 said:

With reports that Houston is seeking 2 1s, 2 2s, and 2 young defenders/possible starters..... 

They'll likely never even consider Indy, unless they think DeShaun would demand the trade and only lift the no-trade for Indy..... That said.... Would you give that up for him?

I think I would .... The two players makes it shy of a no-brainer.... But I believe I'd try something like 2 1s, 2 2s, Okereke, and Ya-Sin/turAy......

Where did you see that

• Shive changed the title to 2021 Quarterback watch list (Merge)
13 hours ago, BlueSince87 said:

I just dont think Eason is the future...and next years QB draft class is unimpressive. We're built to win NOW. Fitz will only be good for 1-2 seasons...I know it doesn't really make a difference, but most mock drafts I've done have us picking up Trask, or Lance if he falls to us, but I think Jones is a great candidate. With the front line we already have, i think we can get a good G or T in the 2nd that will work well.

Can it be draft day already so we can all relax a little? Lol

Jones won't  get by Patriots 

12 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Ive been saying the same thing.  Maybe I’m prejudiced because I’m a Buckeye, but Fields is the only rookie (forget about Lawrence) that we know gives us an added dimension over Eason.  

I’ve read that the Colts love him but I really can’t see Ballard giving up that much draft capital to move up.  

I don't  trust ohio state players. Hooker, Anthony  Gonzales,  paris Campbell,  basham have all been disappointment s

12 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Also rather have wilson than fields

Now that we didn't get Stafford (who has a history of a broken back and broken bone in his throwing hand, don't forget), Colts fans must accept the FACT that we will not go to the SB this next year and therefore the the aim should be to try to be competitive again in 2022. Eason was a steal as a 4th rounder and still needs time to learn more before he is handed the keys, so sitting him behind a journeyman vet like Fitz for the first half of next season would probably be best for his development. We need our draft pics this year for OT, WR, Edge and CB, so trading them for a question mark rookie QB does not make sense to me. 

On 1/31/2021 at 12:43 AM, CaptainColt12 said:

FA or Trade QBs 

Draft QBs

Excellent Post

Some of the talking heads are saying that Mac Jones could be gone by pick 15

5 QBs by pick 15?  That would seem like a record

I also like Fields as he is a tough kid.  He is said to be a natural leader, has a great arm, very mobile, and is smart.

He could play day one as well.

Give him a limited play list, and let him hand off to our RB, go to play action when the safeties come up a bit

IF we go QB in the draft, and knowing that Trevor Lawrence is not on the table, I would send at least 2 1sts to move up.

(It will take MORE)

It will become an auction as 13-15 teams need a QB upgrade..... I just dont see CB giving a pile of picks out.

You and I have a different opinion on Winston. Winston of the past was a strong NO.

If (A big IF) he can be fully vetted, he MIGHT be the steal of the FAs.  He has an awesome arm, and great mobility.

Supposedly he has grown up. ( I cant remember where I read that)

If you limit his playbook and have him spend many hours in the QB room looking at film, you can probably reduce the number of interceptions immediately 

Is he the next Pro Bowl QB... probably not.....  BUT

You could have him come in and do a competition with Eason for the starters role.

Let the best man win

Its a tremendously LOW risk move.... and it allows Eason to shine (or fail)

I dont know what to think of Trask.  He is not very mobile but he seems to have excellent accuracy for short and mid length throws.   I wouldnt want to put all my trust in him, but Id like to see what he could do in this offense

Many options....

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Excellent Post

Some of the talking heads are saying that Mac Jones could be gone by pick 15

5 QBs by pick 15?  That would seem like a record

I also like Fields as he is a tough kid.  He is said to be a natural leader, has a great arm, very mobile, and is smart.

He could play day one as well.

Give him a limited play list, and let him hand off to our RB, go to play action when the safeties come up a bit

IF we go QB in the draft, and knowing that Trevor Lawrence is not on the table, I would send at least 2 1sts to move up.

(It will take MORE)

It will become an auction as 13-15 teams need a QB upgrade..... I just dont see CB giving a pile of picks out.

You and I have a different opinion on Winston. Winston of the past was a strong NO.

If (A big IF) he can be fully vetted, he MIGHT be the steal of the FAs.  He has an awesome arm, and great mobility.

Supposedly he has grown up. ( I cant remember where I read that)

If you limit his playbook and have him spend many hours in the QB room looking at film, you can probably reduce the number of interceptions immediately 

Is he the next Pro Bowl QB... probably not.....  BUT

You could have him come in and do a competition with Eason for the starters role.

Let the best man win

Its a tremendously LOW risk move.... and it allows Eason to shine (or fail)

I dont know what to think of Trask.  He is not very mobile but he seems to have excellent accuracy for short and mid length throws.   I wouldnt want to put all my trust in him, but Id like to see what he could do in this offense

Many options....

Why would No not re-sign Winston?

12 hours ago, Stephen said:

I don't  trust ohio state players. Hooker, Anthony  Gonzales,  paris Campbell,  basham have all been disappointment s

Also rather have wilson than fields

So you wouldn’t want Chase Young, Zeke, the Bosa’s, Michael Thomas, McClaurin...(I could go on, but you get the picture)?

Or do you just think OSU players are cursed when they put on the horseshoe?

23 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I wonder if there's anyway we can talk a certain qb out of retirement? Cut that meat!....cut that meat!....

I did mention that if Brees were to retire, and we try to get him out of retirement, would the Saints hold his rights? How does that work? A true homecoming for Brees, and unlike the case where Rivers succeeded him in SD, he would succeed Rivers in Indy. :) 

Brees' arm was shot mainly because he couldn't truly push it after coming back from the severe rib injury. 

On a serious note though, if we believe in our QB coaching, why not take a chance on Trubisky, who I think has the highest ceiling while having a low floor amongst the FA QBs? I am more confident with Frank's ability to get stuff done with QBs based on his time with Peyton, Wentz and Rivers to be honest than with Matt Nagy.

I am leaning on us going for Winston. HE is a FA so we do not need to give up draft picks. Hr has a lot of talent and I think he would benefit with Reich as a coach and being surrounded by a solid team. We keep our draft picks which we can use to fill other needs.  We go with Winston as starter and Eason as back up. Winston has the arms and he can move around so we add some flexibility to our offense.

5 minutes ago, yankeeclipper said:

I am leaning on us going for Winston. HE is a FA so we do not need to give up draft picks. Hr has a lot of talent and I think he would benefit with Reich as a coach and being surrounded by a solid team. We keep our draft picks which we can use to fill other needs.  We go with Winston as starter and Eason as back up. Winston has the arms and he can move around so we add some flexibility to our offense.

No No No GIF

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Basham wasn’t from Ohio State.

I believe he came from Ohio University.  

Yes

snl yes GIF

8 hours ago, Dr. T said:

Now that we didn't get Stafford (who has a history of a broken back and broken bone in his throwing hand, don't forget), Colts fans must accept the FACT that we will not go to the SB this next year and therefore the the aim should be to try to be competitive again in 2022. Eason was a steal as a 4th rounder and still needs time to learn more before he is handed the keys, so sitting him behind a journeyman vet like Fitz for the first half of next season would probably be best for his development. We need our draft pics this year for OT, WR, Edge and CB, so trading them for a question mark rookie QB does not make sense to me. 

uh huh yes GIF by Dark Igloo

On 1/31/2021 at 12:19 PM, CR91 said:

better than Trask? quite possibly; I'm lukewarm at best on Jones, and Jones > Trask

better than Wilson? seriously doubt it, but Wilson's future (like most QBs) largely depends on who drafts him

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

So you wouldn’t want Chase Young, Zeke, the Bosa’s, Michael Thomas, McClaurin...(I could go on, but you get the picture)?

BOOM!!

This is a mic drop post!! 

Mad props to you!!       :thmup:

:colts:

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

They seem cursed on the horseshoe.

3 hours ago, poilucelt said:

better than Trask? quite possibly; I'm lukewarm at best on Jones, and Jones > Trask

better than Wilson? seriously doubt it, but Wilson's future (like most QBs) largely depends on who drafts him

I'm not overly impressed with Wilson, but Eason is definitely better then Jones and Trask

Archived