Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stafford traded to the Rams

ColtJax

5 hours ago, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

I don't think 1 of the top 6 qbs will fall to us because of this trade. We are still behind jags,jets,falcons,panthers,broncos,giants,49ers,Patriots, washington and the bears who could all draft a quarter back.

Giants, washington wont draft a QB, and the falcons still have Ryan... and I don't think they will move on from him just yet.

If I’m Matthew Stafford, once trade officially processed, I hold out for a contract extension with some new guaranteed money long term and up front.

Rams are an injury or two away from being like the Texans where will end up having given away a premium first or two for little success. They saw the risk was worth it. If they end up winning an SB, will rewrite the thinking on how to win in the NFL

Now lets listen up for the Texans GM Nick Caserio and their new HC who declare Watson will not be traded knowing now what they could demand and most likely get for a young Watson after the Lions soak the Rams for 33 year old Stafford. Watson has removed all connections to his Facebook page and as I have posted earlier Watson dislikes the Texans is putting it mildly. And now what will the Colts come up with for a QB?

10 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Rams hate 1st rounders 

THIS IS HUGE FOR COLTS!!!

A QB should drop now for us

Dude I'm never sure where your logic comes from in any of your posts? It's like you are never paying attention. How is this HUGE FOR COLTS!!??? Other than the Lions not possibly taking a QB in the 1st, which imo is still on the table, it only eliminates 1 team out of 13 at least that might have wanted QB's as the Rams were never in that conversation until a week ago. So it's like rams don't even count

Jags

Broncos

Falcons

Jets maybe, but I doubt it

Patriots

Panthers

Lions (still)

Washington

Vikings (yes don't count Vike's out)

Bears

ALL before Colts pick at 21...

others being Colts, Steelers, 49ers, and Raiders

and you think QB's are going to drop to us? I mean anything is possible, but this is highly unlikely

9 hours ago, chad72 said:

Yes, but I wish neither team the best because I don’t care :). However, given the talent on the Rams roster, I’d say the Rams would see the return much quicker.

Oh sure, its a great trade for both.....which is why trades happen they way they do.  If we're looking for one team to fleece another in a trade, that usually doesn't happen.

Stafford can play at a high level for three more years.  The Rams window is that.  They draft pretty well, and find players.  They don't really need low first round picks.  And Stafford's contract is actually pretty cheap, allowing LAR to find FA vets to fill holes.

DET has a bridge QB.  They can take a QB at 7 or sell it.  They will have an expensive QB who takes too much cap, but they will also have two first round picks in each of the next two years.  Two high in the round, and two low, plus whatever they accumulate from selling pick 7.  Lots of good players on cheap rookie contracts to fit with Goff's bloated one

13 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

That's true of most insurance policy QBs

I’m not sure I agree with that.  Jacob Eason is an unknown, a cipher.  The whole idea of any insurance policy is predictable assurance in the event of the hoped for outcome not panning out for whatever reason.

Jacoby Brissett worked well as an insurance policy for a 38 year old quarterback.  We knew what we had in Brissett, but the hope was that Rivers would be an upgrade.

Every Colts partisan hopes that Eason will prove to be a useful asset in one way or another.  But nobody has cause to definitively say he is:  he’s yet to step on the field taking live bullets.

8 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

Matt Ryan is still available, he's 35 but still can sling it for a few more years. I'd give a #2 pick for him, but the Patriot's may be in that market as well.

He would cost a 1st and no thanks 

6 hours ago, csmopar said:

Happy Joy GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

relieved andy richter GIF by Team Coco

yes for what the rams gave up goodness 

I was never really loving the Stafford for a haul prospect. Definitely glad we didn't bite.

Someone will fall in the draft like they always do. Go draft a kid this year and find another retread for the year along with another QB in the draft the following year if need be. 

If you're a doom and gloomer it might be a long year, but I'm ok with building this thing up some more and dropping the QB in without rushing them in or settling for one of the FA ones.

3 hours ago, IinD said:

I was never really loving the Stafford for a haul prospect. Definitely glad we didn't bite.

Someone will fall in the draft like they always do. Go draft a kid this year and find another retread for the year along with another QB in the draft the following year if need be. 

If you're a doom and gloomer it might be a long year, but I'm ok with building this thing up some more and dropping the QB in without rushing them in or settling for one of the FA ones.

The doom and gloom crowd never changes no matter what the Colts do. :thinking:

14 hours ago, Indeee said:

Dude I'm never sure where your logic comes from in any of your posts? It's like you are never paying attention. How is this HUGE FOR COLTS!!??? Other than the Lions not possibly taking a QB in the 1st, which imo is still on the table, it only eliminates 1 team out of 13 at least that might have wanted QB's as the Rams were never in that conversation until a week ago. So it's like rams don't even count

Jags

Broncos

Falcons

Jets maybe, but I doubt it

Patriots

Panthers

Lions (still)

Washington

Vikings (yes don't count Vike's out)

Bears

ALL before Colts pick at 21...

others being Colts, Steelers, 49ers, and Raiders

and you think QB's are going to drop to us? I mean anything is possible, but this is highly unlikely

I only see 4 QBs going top 25.

Lawrence 

Fields 

Wilson 

Jones or Lance

Either could fall 

Jones due to being pure pocket passer 

Lance played 1 game so might need work 

If Trask falls to the 2nd he'll be a steal. Hell, he might go at the bottom of the 1st. The Colts are a ready to win team, we need a QB that can win now. Ryan can, Cam cannot. Winston might, but the Saints will take him out. Kurt Cousin may be available, but I think he's no better than what we just had. Others like Watson or Dak would cost a ton, and neither would be a good fit. 

So for me it's Ryan or trade up in the draft. All the rest are players that will take up to 9-7 or 10-6 and out..

1 hour ago, ColtJax said:

If Trask falls to the 2nd he'll be a steal. Hell, he might go at the bottom of the 1st. The Colts are a ready to win team, we need a QB that can win now. Ryan can, Cam cannot. Winston might, but the Saints will take him out. Kurt Cousin may be available, but I think he's no better than what we just had. Others like Watson or Dak would cost a ton, and neither would be a good fit. 

So for me it's Ryan or trade up in the draft. All the rest are players that will take up to 9-7 or 10-6 and out..

Watson wouldn't be a good fit?

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

What makes you say that?

I'm just not a fan of Watson... I don't think he's a bad QB but I think it's too easy for good defenses to stop him because I don't think he has ever progressed to the point to where he can do multiple reads when need be.  He can look at his first option and sometimes the 2nd, if the 2nd option is on the same side of the field as the first option.  But then that is it.

While he is very athletic, I don't think he's makes good decisions on when to run and when to buy more time.

Now all that being said, I do think this past year he made some improvements in some of those areas but I don't think he is a QB that will take a team to the next level.  IMO, he's good enough to take a good team to the playoffs but for them to go far it would have to a situation like the 2000 Ravens with Dilfer at QB, where the rest of the team is just too good to not win.

6 minutes ago, WolverineColtsFan said:

I'm just not a fan of Watson... I don't think he's a bad QB but I think it's too easy for good defenses to stop him because I don't think he has ever progressed to the point to where he can do multiple reads when need be.  He can look at his first option and sometimes the 2nd, if the 2nd option is on the same side of the field as the first option.  But then that is it.

While he is very athletic, I don't think he's makes good decisions on when to run and when to buy more time.

Now all that being said, I do think this past year he made some improvements in some of those areas but I don't think he is a QB that will take a team to the next level.  IMO, he's good enough to take a good team to the playoffs but for them to go far it would have to a situation like the 2000 Ravens with Dilfer at QB, where the rest of the team is just too good to not win.

Okay, I hear you.

Although stats are not everything, Watson has consistently put up better stats than Stafford. Some may say that he had Hopkins but he did not have Hopkins this year; yet he still performed well. In fact, he had his best statistical year of his career. 

20210201_202824.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 2/1/2021 at 7:34 PM, NFLfan said:

Okay, I hear you.

Although stats are not everything, Watson has consistently put up better stats than Stafford. Some may say that he had Hopkins but he did not have Hopkins this year; yet he still performed well. In fact, he had his best statistical year of his career. 

20210201_202824.jpg

Hey didn't want you to think I'm ignoring you.  I just dont log in very often.  Stats are not everything and Watson does put up some good overall stats.  But the stats I typically look at are 3rd down, especially 3 and 4 or greater.  Stats when trailing with less than 2 minutes things like that.  And in those categories Watson is mediocre. 

Of course this post may be all moot now, with the pending lawsuits Watson might be out of the league by the time 2021 rolls around.

Archived