Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coach Rathman Retirement/Replacement (Merge)

TomDiggs

Damn... that might hurt. I loved how our RBs were coached and improved with coaching. Both Mack and Taylor came into the league with SEVERE fumbling problems and all those were pretty much eliminated in the span of a pre-season for each of them. 

Happy retirement to coach Rathman. The Colts will miss him IMO. 

10 minutes ago, Shepman said:

What the heck is going on? All new coaching staff soon.

OC Nick Sirianni — Eagles HC

DB coach Jonathan Gannon — Eagles DC

PG coordinator Kevin Patullo — same role w/ Eagles

TE coach Jason Michael — same role w/ Eagles

RB coach Tom Rathman — retired

11 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

OC Nick Sirianni — Eagles HC

DB coach Jonathan Gannon — Eagles DC

PG coordinator Kevin Patullo — same role w/ Eagles

TE coach Jason Michael — same role w/ Eagles

RB coach Tom Rathman — retired

Damn Eagles are obsessed with us lol.

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Seems to be an awful lot of turnover on a team that went 11-5.

Why is this so hard to figure out?

Two guys got big promotions.  One to Head Coach, the other one to Coordinator.   The other two guys either left for their relationship with Sirianni, or better money, or more preferred location.   

We’ve hired good assistants before.   We will hire good assistants again.

Sorry, Doug.   Don’t mean to be picking in you.   You just happened to be last in the discussion.   Plenty of others in this thread and others saying the same.  You’re not alone. 

We know that the entire coaching staff is important to the team success and player development but on the outside looking in it's often hard to know how good position coaches are.

Rathman is as respected as a position coach as anyone in the league much like Howard Mudd and John Teerlinck when Dungy/Caldwell were here. I have confidence in Reich and Ballard to continue to put together good staffs but that doesn't diminish what Rathman brought.

Bummer but good for him.  I would think he’d love coaching Taylor a little more but when your done your done.  

He was great here.  Maybe second to Huey as Rb coaches.  At least Indy years. 

I remember we had gene Huey as RB coach through multiple head coaching regimes and he was greatly respected.  I read that Faulk called edge to tell him to follow his instruction

8 minutes ago, PeacefulEasonFeeling said:

It makes one wonder if Ballard let his coaches know the plan going forward and everyone was like, “aw, heck NO!”. 

I’m bored. I’m going to read too much into it! :excited:

Here's a conspiracy theory to explore, if you're feeling bored.  Maybe they all know that Ballard isn't going to go for Stafford, and is going to settle on Brissett?  Ok, I'll go sit in the corner as punishment.

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I kinda thought the general consensus for a lot of fans in this forum is the Colts coaching staff sucks. 

Well it seems a lot of our coaching staff is wanted by other teams. 

Just maybe fandom interferes with reality? 

Yeah, also there are some that thought the coaching sucks and then when coaches leave all of a sudden then the sky is falling.

Like, if you thought they sucked, isn't it good they are leaving? 

14 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Here's a conspiracy theory to explore, if you're feeling bored.  Maybe they all know that Ballard isn't going to go for Stafford, and is going to settle on Brissett?  Ok, I'll go sit in the corner as punishment.

If that happens....im retiring too.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Talk about cleaning house without firing someone

What the....    heck?!?

Nothing of the sort!

Yes, Chris Ballard and Frank Reich arranged for Sirianni to get the Eagles job.  Then we told him all the assistants to take with him because we didn’t have the nerve to fire them like we did with our old OL coach just two years ago.  

Such nonsense!      :facepalm:

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Why is this so hard to figure out?

Two guys got big promotions.  One to Head Coach, the other one to Coordinator.   The other two guys either left for their relationship with Sirianni, or better money, or more preferred location.   

We’ve hired good assistants before.   We will hire good assistants again.

Sorry, Doug.   Don’t mean to be picking in you.   You just happened to be last in the discussion.   Plenty of others in this thread and others saying the same.  You’re not alone. 

IDK, I don;t think the other 11-5 teams are having the same issues.  But there's not much submessaging here.

I guess there is this idea floating that Siranni was the brains of  the offense and that coaches might feel we would not have the same success under Frank's unsubsidized leadership.

I mean, we can't rule that out, but as I said in another thread, I would expect Frank to be able to fill vacancies quickly.  Of course, having the QB position settled might help.

Or coach-friends of Stafford may want to follow him to Indy.  Stuff like that.

I think Rathman was just done.  I mean, the guy won three superbowls under some of the greatest NFL teams in history, so hanging around to try to get one as a coach with Indy wouldn't be much of a motivator.

Appreciate the heads up about not picking on me.  I've interpreted things other ways before.

16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

there is this idea floating that Siranni was the brains of  the offense and that coaches might feel we would not have the same success under Frank's unsubsidized leadership.

That’s what eagles fans thought of reich when he left there.  They were right about the eagles.  They fell apart on o after reich left.  I think the colts will be fine 

Good teams lose good people to bad teams trying to get good.  If other teams weren't trying to hire our staff, then we'd have a problem.  Losing Coach Rathman, IMHO is the biggest loss of all the coaches though.  I wish him well but really hate to see him leave.  

I hope the Colts offer coach Rathmans job to Burton Burns Alabama's running backs coach. When was the last time Alabama had a bad running back. He's been there running back coach for the past 11 years. We must strike while the irons hot. Thanks for your time coach Rathman. Enjoy  your retirement.

Archived