Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Deshaun Watson Officially Requests Trade

6 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

The owner hired the gm.  The gm hired the coach.     Why doesn't really matter

So the reason any one hires someone has regardless of what business has no place. Is that what you are saying? You failed to mention the names of the owner and GM. I think I know why,

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good Grief this situation seems to have triggered some and is no longer any kind of a discussion Closing

I think he will sit out if Houston doesn't trade him. That team is a mess.

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, King Colt said:

So the reason any one hires someone has regardless of what business has no place. Is that what you are saying? You failed to mention the names of the owner and GM. I think I know why,

Nick caserio is the GM.    Janice McNair is the owner.    Ok I mentioned them.   Now what?

The question now is how long do the Texans wait to trade Watson. They could hold onto him until training camp hoping for a last minute payoff, but I doubt it

They'll probably get the most for him leading up to the draft

All parties need to be able to move on. I doubt Watson would ever play another snap for the Texans. So the Texans forcing Watson to sit is not an option they can afford to take

It's certainly the most interesting story of the offseason

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, shakedownstreet said:

The question now is how long do the Texans wait to trade Watson. They could hold onto him until training camp hoping for a last minute payoff, but I doubt it

They'll probably get the most for him leading up to the draft

All parties need to be able to move on. I doubt Watson would ever play another snap for the Texans. So the Texans forcing Watson to sit is not an option they can afford to take

It's certainly the most interesting story of the offseason

Looks like that is what the Texans want to do. I see a Carson Palmer re-enactment with Watson, he will retire from the NFL for a year.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, DougDew said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't this specific issue around Watson wanting to be traded start when Watson, out of the blue, criticized HOU for having a biased and flawed hiring process because of their failure to interview Eric Bienemy?  Sort of heading in the direction of Kaepernick-lite?

He felt he was misled about the hiring process. To be blunt I do think he liked the idea of getting a Black coach, but Culley still fits the bill.

He is hardly the only one to complain about the locker room or front office, the coaching issue was just the last straw for him.  

He has also been sacked a lot too, I have not seen him complain about this but its probably on his mind.  They have a history of not protecting their QBs down there

On 2/19/2021 at 6:03 PM, DougDew said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't this specific issue around Watson wanting to be traded start when Watson, out of the blue, criticized HOU for having a biased and flawed hiring process because of their failure to interview Eric Bienemy?  Sort of heading in the direction of Kaepernick-lite?

He originally implied that HOU had a flawed hiring process that was separate from, and went beyond simply omitting him from consultation.

Now it seems that his posse is circling the wagons, trying to get people to forget what he said and make it look more benign and more like traditional locker room issues, along with being denied something he was promised.

I don’t think this is the entire story. 

The management met with Watson at the end of the season.   Watson gave input about what he’d like to see.  They told him they’d respect his input.   And it started not with the HC Option, but rather the GM hire which was done by an outside firm.  It had the appearance that the consulting firm had no idea about Watson’s input.  

Watson complained about being ignored.  The front office said they’d do better.  Then Houston didn’t even interview Bienemy, perhaps the top AA coordinator candidate.  I think it was at that point, I think Watson’s anger boiled over.   

And all of this is after the former coach, O’Brien, who acted as the GM, screwed up the roster with a series of devastatingly bad decisions.   

There's a lot to this story. 

• Like 3
15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think this is the entire story. 

The management met with Watson at the end of the season.   Watson gave input about what he’d like to see.  They told him they’d respect his input.   And it started not with the HC Option, but rather the GM hire which was done by an outside firm.  It had the appearance that the consulting firm had no idea about Watson’s input.  

Watson complained about being ignored.  The front office said they’d do better.  Then Houston didn’t even interview Bienemy, perhaps the top AA coordinator candidate.  I think it was at that point, I think Watson’s anger boiled over.   

And all of this is after the former coach, O’Brien, who acted as the GM, screwed up the roster with a series of devastatingly bad decisions.   

There's a lot to this story. 

See, that' passive aggressive language on the part of Watson.  What it sounds like he really wanted was veto power over a coach, or something much more than "input" and "consultation".   Because they didn't hire the guy he wanted, or even presented him with lists of names, doesn't mean they didn't factor his wishes into the search.  Sounds like Watson had one idea of what "input" meant and HOU had another.

If he said that HOU is a bad team and he wants to play for a SB contender in his prime, and that the former HC destroyed the team beyond immediate repair, that would actually make more sense.  He could also present it that HOU needs the draft picks a trade would bring, so that he would actually be helping the franchise by allowing them to rebuild with the capital needed.

He botched this up.  And to me, its apparent that he really is upset that HOU did not do whatever it was he wanted them to do in the coaching hire. 

It kinda sounds like he wanted a coach that suited his needs, not so much about making the team better or even wanting to go to a winning team (I think he has said the Jets is on his list).

Wentz was basically in the same situation as Watson, and he handled it much better, as did Stafford, IMO.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

See, that' passive aggressive language on the part of Watson.  What it sounds like he really wanted was veto power over a coach, or something much more than "input" and "consultation".   Because they didn't hire the guy he wanted, or even presented him with lists of names, doesn't mean they didn't factor his wishes into the search.  Sounds like Watson had one idea of what "input" meant and HOU had another.

If he said that HOU is a bad team and he wants to play for a SB contender in his prime, and that the former HC destroyed the team beyond immediate repair, that would actually make more sense.  He could also present it that HOU needs the draft picks a trade would bring, so that he would actually be helping the franchise by allowing them to rebuild with the capital needed.

He botched this up.  And to me, its apparent that he really is upset that HOU did not do whatever it was he wanted them to do in the coaching hire. 

It kinda sounds like he wanted a coach that suited his needs, not so much about making the team better or even wanting to go to a winning team (I think he has said the Jets is on his list).

Wentz was basically in the same situation as Watson, and he handled it much better, as did Stafford, IMO.

It looks like he handled it badly because he gave the team more chances than he should have.  They have been badly managed for a long time, it finally came to a boiling point this season.

He should not have signed the contract in hindsight, he did that assuming the team would not turn into a total dumpster fire like it did.

10 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

It looks like he handled it badly because he gave the team more chances than he should have.  They have been badly managed for a long time, it finally came to a boiling point this season.

He should not have signed the contract in hindsight, he did that assuming the team would not turn into a total dumpster fire like it did.

Players don't give teams chances.  Him displaying that attitude is why he looks bad.

11 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

He did do that here though.  No matter when he asked for a trade people were going look down on it. I feel bad for anyone still stuck there

I think its a matter of doing it publicly or not.  I'm sure that a reasonable GM could see his value and how that could dwindle if the player is not happy.

Asking for a trade publicly sort of challenges the authority structure in the organization.  And the organization has to maintain their position as the decision makers, or else the whole thing turns into team anarchy.  

Russell Wilson made some points publicly about his concerns, but never crossed the line, IMO.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, DougDew said:

It’s not that they didn’t hire.  They didn’t even interview the candidates for either job.   GM or HC.   And that’s after telling him they would.  Houston botched the process. 

I confess I’m not entirely comfortable defending Watson here.  He wants out because he views Houston as dysfunctional.  Everyone does.   But they’ve been that way for a long time.  And that didn’t stop Watson from signing a 4 year, $160m contract.  So he’s trying to have it both ways. 

But I don’t know that Watson is better than Wentz?   He’s getting crushed on this website and elsewhere in NFL circles for how he handled his business in Philly.  Not communicating with his own head coach?  Not communicating well with his own teammates?  People are not being kind to him. 

These are strange times we're living in with athletes being more empowered in all sports.   I have very mixed feelings about this. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It’s not that they didn’t hire.  They didn’t even interview the candidates for either job.   GM or HC.   And that’s after telling him they would.  Houston botched the process. 

I confess I’m not entirely comfortable defending Watson here.  He wants out because he views Houston as dysfunctional.  Everyone does.   But they’ve been that way for a long time.  And that didn’t stop Watson from signing a 4 year, $160m contract.  So he’s trying to have it both ways. 

But I don’t know that Watson is better than Wentz?   He’s getting crushed on this website and elsewhere in NFL circles for how he handled his business in Philly.  Not communicating with his own head coach?  Not communicating well with his own teammates?  People are not being kind to him. 

These are strange times we're living in with athletes being more empowered in all sports.   I have very mixed feelings about this. 

The only thing I can compare between Wentz and Watson is by what I read they actually said for themselves.  AFAIK, Wentz never said anything publicly, and the indications of his troubles come from other players or sources.  Watson's actions that I see seem to land on the side of him trying to exert more control over a matter than what I think any player should have.  Who promised whom what is a little more fuzzy.

I don't know what HOU should do.  I will say this, if Watson truly wants to go to the Jets as one of his acceptable teams, he's going to be mired in just as much losing as what he has now considering their roster and how much they will further deplete their future to acquire him.  Again, it doesn't shed a great light on Watson if he wants to go to the Jets.  He may have backed off of them, IDK.

On 2/24/2021 at 7:34 AM, DougDew said:

The only thing I can compare between Wentz and Watson is by what I read they actually said for themselves.  AFAIK, Wentz never said anything publicly, and the indications of his troubles come from other players or sources.  Watson's actions that I see seem to land on the side of him trying to exert more control over a matter than what I think any player should have.  Who promised whom what is a little more fuzzy.

I don't know what HOU should do.  I will say this, if Watson truly wants to go to the Jets as one of his acceptable teams, he's going to be mired in just as much losing as what he has now considering their roster and how much they will further deplete their future to acquire him.  Again, it doesn't shed a great light on Watson if he wants to go to the Jets.  He may have backed off of them, IDK.

The Jets could be one team headed up quicker than many of the other 31, but I hope the Jets draft a QB at April pick #2.

DeShaun really needs to move to Chicago.

7 hours ago, waterdog said:

The Jets could be one team headed up quicker than many of the other 31, but I hope the Jets draft a QB at April pick #2.

DeShaun really needs to move to Chicago.

Having played in a dome a lot, I think a swap with the Atlanta Falcons with all those weapons would do Watson good. 

In return, the Falcons won't have to pony up more than a credible Matt Ryan and a couple of first round picks, and the Texans will still be able to draft a QB for the future if they want with 2 picks in the top 4, IMO. Just a thought.

Watson is digging in pretty far, the team would be smart to trade him. 

They could get a bunch of picks and rebuild in a year or two, or waste a year with no QB, money or picks to speak of.  They would still have a disgruntled QB who is supposed to be the leader, demanding a trade next year.

I don't see how this is repairable, Houston needs to make the right move for once and trade him.

49 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Watson is digging in pretty far, the team would be smart to trade him. 

They could get a bunch of picks and rebuild in a year or two, or waste a year with no QB, money or picks to speak of.  They would still have a disgruntled QB who is supposed to be the leader, demanding a trade next year.

I don't see how this is repairable, Houston needs to make the right move for once and trade him.

They could just force him to sit out, allow him to throw his temper tantrum and not report.  Maybe HOU would get lucky and he will ultimately retire from the NFL.  Making comments about the teams hiring process should be seen as "conduct detrimental to the team" since it immediately undermines the effectiveness of Culley, so they have several legal options at this point under the NFLPA.

If I'm a GM picking high in a round, I'd just start the rebuild process now by taking a QB. I wouldn't let the team be in a position like Luck put us in....having Watson failing to report to TC ore preseason AFTER the draft took place.  I'd just start with a rookie QB now.   Maybe cut Watson eventually.  Let him negotiate the contract with whatever team wants to pay him whatever price he would demand, and with whatever team wants a player with that attitude.

At this point, I would think that simply allowing Watson to sit out, stay at home, and getting no official compensation for him would still be a net win (by removing a negative). 

31 minutes ago, DougDew said:

They could just force him to sit out, allow him to throw his temper tantrum and not report

This is where we differ, I don't think its an unwarranted tantrum.  I believe the team really is that bad.  Watson isn't the only one that wants out of there.  JJ watt made a big deal out of this and is gone now.

They can hold a grudge and make this difficult for both themselves and DW, or they can make the smarter move and trade him.  They dont have the money or picks to get a QB right now

4 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

This is where we differ, I don't think its an unwarranted tantrum.  I believe the team really is that bad.  Watson isn't the only one that wants out of there.  JJ watt made a big deal out of this and is gone now.

They can hold a grudge and make this difficult for both themselves and DW, or they can make the smarter move and trade him.  They dont have the money or picks to get a QB right now

Watson started this recent public trade thing by stating that the organization has flawed hiring practices.  And I think he never debunked the idea that the current owner was a lot like his father, simply because he is his son.

Its not really about the next season or even the team's won loss record over the next three years.  Its bigger than that.  I think it would be smarter to not accommodate whiners, and in a legal manner, not set the precedent of accommodating someone who conducts detrimental actions that undermines the new coach and the authority structure of the organization.   If you accommodate Watson, you set the precedent that all whiners need to be accommodated or else you end up singling some out for disparate treatment.  This shows what a cancer players like Watson are to an entire organization. 

And, I would think a player like that has limited trade value, despite the rumors.  I would  simply move on from him....forget he even exists...would be the less time consuming and smarter move.  If he wants to sit out, fine, but I'm drafting this spring with the idea that he's going to try to put me at a disadvantage and wait until after FA and the draft before he tells me he wont play next year.

There is some root of the problem that has yet to be revealed.   If its about making bad personnel decisions, resulting in a losing record, I get that....but the HC, OBrien who was responsible for those moves was fired months ago.  Seems like Watson and Watt are still holding some kind of grudge over something, or simply launching their marketing brand by grandstanding.

If I were the GM, I'd just ignore Watson until he apologized for those statements instead of honoring his wishes, and then if the team struggles, show to the whole world what people like that can do to a team, blame the teams failure's over a whiner sitting out the season too arrogant and stubborn to apologize for something he should not have said in the first place. 

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

Watson started this recent public trade thing by stating that the organization has flawed hiring practices.  And I think he never debunked the idea that the current owner was a lot like his father, simply because he is his son.

Its not really about the next season or even the team's won loss record over the next three years.  Its bigger than that.  I think it would be smarter to not accommodate whiners, and in a legal manner, not set the precedent of accommodating someone who conducts detrimental actions that undermines the new coach and the authority structure of the organization.   If you accommodate Watson, you set the precedent that all whiners need to be accommodated or else you end up singling some out for disparate treatment.  This shows what a cancer players like Watson are to an entire organization. 

And, I would think a player like that has limited trade value, despite the rumors.  I would  simply move on from him....forget he even exists...would be the less time consuming and smarter move.  If he wants to sit out, fine, but I'm drafting this spring with the idea that he's going to try to put me at a disadvantage and wait until after FA and the draft before he tells me he wont play next year.

There is some root of the problem that has yet to be revealed.   If its about making bad personnel decisions, resulting in a losing record, I get that....but the HC, OBrien who was responsible for those moves was fired months ago.  Seems like Watson and Watt are still holding some kind of grudge over something, or simply launching their marketing brand by grandstanding.

If I were the GM, I'd just ignore Watson until he apologized for those statements instead of honoring his wishes, and then if the team struggles, show to the whole world what people like that can do to a team, blame the teams failure's over a whiner sitting out the season too arrogant and stubborn to apologize for something he should not have said in the first place. 

It sounds like the problem is Easterby.   I've watched a few videos and read some articles.    The players hate this guy.    

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2921872-report-texans-player-was-bothered-by-jack-easterbys-use-of-black-stereotypes

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

It sounds like the problem is Easterby.   I've watched a few videos and read some articles.    The players hate this guy.    

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2921872-report-texans-player-was-bothered-by-jack-easterbys-use-of-black-stereotypes

From the article:

(Easterby) "...asked players to think back to when they were growing up 'playing ball with Ray-Ray and Ki-Ki and them,"

What is "Ray-Ray and Ki-Ki"? Is that from a TV show? I have never heard/read that term. :scratch:

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Why would Watson want to go to the Jets? They are as bad as the Texans? Does he want to win? I would think so. He has a no trade clause, the New York media are delusional or in dream land thinking he will go there. I bet he ends up in Miami. 

He will stay in Houston 

22 hours ago, DougDew said:

Its bigger than that.  I think it would be smarter to not accommodate whiners,

There is a difference between whining and legitimate complaints. Looks like you are siding with the team no matter what.

Refusing to trade him is probably the wrong move here, they will be better on the field if they just do it.  He's not coming back

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I can't see where taking Watson's side makes sense.

Probably because you don't know the story. It's about more than Culley that was just the last straw.  They have no idea how to run a team, lots of players, as well as some staff members have spoken out against the Texans.  

Politics and religion have been an issues, as well as locker room and front office morale.  

• Like 1
5 hours ago, DougDew said:

He wants a trade because he's chosen to escalate a double downed stupid comment he made about HOU not interviewing Eric Bienemy and slandered the entire organization's hiring practices.

I see you are dug in on this and not listening to anyone else.  That was only one factor, not the end all be all.

I don't know why you are linking details of his contract.  Teams cut and trade those whenever they want, and players can request trades, sit out or retire.  Several other QBs were traded this offseason too.

He will probably never apologize because the team doesn't deserve one, they are horribly ran organization and other players are jumping ship too.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DougDew said:

Its all a big lie.  He wants a trade because he's chosen to escalate a double downed stupid comment he made about HOU not interviewing Eric Bienemy and slandered the entire organization's hiring practices.  He can't apologize because he's too arrogant and righteous. I say let him bid with himself again and escalate it again by holding out if he wants too.  By rule, HOU can hold back game checks.

What is driving you to write all these disparaging comments? It almost seems personal. He does not play for your team. He has not committed a crime. What is it?

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
40 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

What is driving you to write all these disparaging comments? It almost seems personal. He does not play for your team. He has not committed a crime. What is it?

I personally see where Doug is coming from. Watson wants out but shouldn't have signed the contract. HOU doesn't have to trade him and shouldn't. If not for any other reason than to set the precedent. Both parties will have to look bad because neither should back down. This for Colts fans is perfect off-season entertainment. 

1 hour ago, life long said:

I personally see where Doug is coming from. Watson wants out but shouldn't have signed the contract. HOU doesn't have to trade him and shouldn't. If not for any other reason than to set the precedent. Both parties will have to look bad because neither should back down. This for Colts fans is perfect off-season entertainment. 

There is nothing wrong with what you wrote. Early on in the thread, I too wrote that Watson should honor his contract.  This is not the  same as Doug's comments. Doug is making a lot of personal attacks against a player. And he is going on and on and on. It is overkill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Nadine locked this topic