Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Deshaun Watson Officially Requests Trade

EastStreet

2 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

I dont see why this matters.  JJ watt is under contract for another year and he wants out too.  He knows the Texans wasted careers of great players before yet he still signed and wants out now

They both know contracts can be moved to other teams

Yes it does matter.

Watt is a defensive player on the down side of his career.

Watson is a top flight starting QB that is just now starting his career. 

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yes it does matter.

Watt is a defensive player on the down side of his career.

Watson is a top flight starting QB that is just now starting his career. 

Does that mean you think Deshaun should be stuck there but not JJ Watt?  Watson should waste most of his career before he can leave and JJ has earned the right to go?  Not sure I follow the logic

What about the Matt Stafford situation in Detroit?  That was pretty similar.  Personally i think if any player wants to ask for a trade then they can do so with no regrets.  Teams can trade or cut them.

10 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Does that mean you think Deshaun should be stuck there but not JJ Watt?  Watson should waste most of his career before he can leave and JJ has earned the right to go?  Not sure I follow the logic

What about the Matt Stafford situation in Detroit?  That was pretty similar.  Personally i think if any player wants to ask for a trade then they can do so with no regrets.  Teams can trade or cut them.

And the Wentz situation in Philly. 

12 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

So when a player signs his name and takes the money it don't matter to you?

The situation between Detroit and Houston was not similar.

The Texans were doing great till O'Brian was made the GM. The Lions were perennial losers while the Texans were winning divisions. 

If you think players don't have to honor their contracts. then why even have contracts? 

No one likes that one player who gets mad, takes the ball and goes home. 

Watson is willing to run but not willing to be a leader. 

17 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If you think players don't have to honor their contracts. then why even have contracts? 

Teams do not have to honor them, so i dont think players should either.  Maybe they should all just be one year deals like Chuck used to joke...

I dont think its fair that Matt Stafford and JJ Watt can ask for a trade but not Watson.  Like he should have to suffer for years rather than just ask now

On 2/5/2021 at 10:34 AM, Thebrashandthebold said:

I don't agree with that. That management in Houston is awful and it always has been. The QB needs to let the fans and other teams know that he wants out. If he doesn't, they will just ignore him and he will have to hold out. They will like that because they don't have to pay him. That is why everyone who wants out makes it all public and they certainly should.

Horse dung.

The Texans won 6 division titles in 9 years. 

O'Brian was a very good head coach and things didn't go south till he was made the GM.

Watson is beloved by the city of Houston, the fan base and the media. 

It's his choice to run away rather than take control and be a leader. 

3 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Teams do not have to honor them, so i dont think players should either.  Maybe they should all just be one year deals like Chuck used to joke...

I dont think its fair that Matt Stafford and JJ Watt can ask for a trade but not Watson.  Like he should have to suffer for years rather than just ask now

The days of teams not honoring contracts are in the past. 

Guaranteed contracts are the normal for star players so quit trying to judge on the past. 

Fair??  Life is not fair and catering to super rich players who are paid more in one season than the average person is paid in a lifetime is pure crazyness.

If I quit or wanted out of my job every time I got mad I would have had a hard time feeding my family. 

12 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

Stafford and Detroit mutually came to the decision.   Watt didn't just sign his contract.  Watson signed his contract a few months ago.   That was the time he should have left.  Instead he decided to stay with a dysfunctional team and take their $27 million signing bonus and $111 million guaranteed.   He blew it.  

12 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Life is not fair and catering to super rich players who are paid more in one season than the average person is paid in a lifetime is pure crazyness.

I guess life isnt fair to the Texans then, they cant make him play.  Feeding his family isnt relevant, he does have the option to sit out.

28 minutes ago, Myles said:

That was the time he should have left.

So he gave them a chance, the locker room fell apart this year.  He was personally very good and the team let him down.  I wonder if Andrew Luck is on his mind, I can see why more players are asking for trades willing to sit out.

43 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I guess life isnt fair to the Texans then, they cant make him play.  Feeding his family isnt relevant, he does have the option to sit out.

So he gave them a chance, the locker room fell apart this year.  He was personally very good and the team let him down.  I wonder if Andrew Luck is on his mind, I can see why more players are asking for trades willing to sit out.

He gave them a chance?

Really? He signed a guaranteed contract after O.Brian was made the GM.

The Texans have fired O'Brian and have started in a new direction. 

The team let him down? No, he is the one who has a chance to take control and put the team on his back. 

Your timeline is not correct. 

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

He gave them a chance?

Really?

Yes he did.  I guess you two wont be happy with him unless he wastes his career on that team

I think he is fully within his rights to ask for a trade, and it does not matter when he signed that contract.  The date of that signing really means nothing to me, you seem hung up on that

He was very good this year, one of the best Qbs in the league.  What more do you expect him to do to put that team on his back?

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

He gave them a chance?

Really? He signed a guaranteed contract after O.Brian was made the GM.

The Texans have fired O'Brian and have started in a new direction. 

The team let him down? No, he is the one who has a chance to take control and put the team on his back. 

Your timeline is not correct. 

Do you get like this when a team signs a contract and then cuts the player before its over?  Its a double standard and only the best players have any leverage to challenge it.  DW does have that leverage

If they wont trade him then they deserve being terrible as he sits out

3 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

Players are finally using some leverage and fans on message boards defend the toxic organization that did everything wrong.  Then he gets labeled a diva even though a lot of his own team mates agree that he is right

Why did he sign the contract if the environment is toxic?

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Why did he sign the contract if the environment is toxic?

Because things got worse afterwards.  He wouldnt have signed if it was that bad at the time.  This isnt all about DeAndre Hopkins and that trade, Watson still put up big numbers without him.

Its about the apathetic locker room, the head coach hiring process and probably more.   It must have been really bad in that locker room, watch JJ Watt's rant if you have not

He was sacked a lot too, they have struggled to protect him for most of his career.  He still put up 4800 yards, 30 TDs and only 7 ints

Hard for him to do much more, his own team mates support him moving on too.  That does not sound like a diva to me, sounds like the team failed him 

1 hour ago, BlackTiger said:

Because things got worse afterwards.  He wouldnt have signed if it was that bad at the time.  This isnt all about DeAndre Hopkins and that trade, Watson still put up big numbers without him.

Its about the apathetic locker room, the head coach hiring process and probably more.   It must have been really bad in that locker room, watch JJ Watt's rant if you have not

A toxic environment doesn't just start.   

38 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

A toxic environment doesn't just start.   

Three people have quoted me now about the timeline of when he signed the contract.

I don't think the timeline is even important, this is not all about Deandre Hopkins.  Its about the teams body of work in 2020.  Watson signed the contract and went into the season trying to win games. He personally was very good and the team let him down.  Sacks have been an issue in Houston in the past and he had 49 of them again this year.  

According to ESPN the final straw for Deshaun was the hiring of David Culley.  He did not like that move and hasn't spoken to him yet.  He was told he would be involved in the coaching search and apparently that didn't happen.  I'm not sure the team will ever be able to fix this other than trading him.

1 minute ago, BlackTiger said:

Three people have quoted me now about the timeline of when he signed the contract.

I don't think the timeline is even important, this is not all about Deandre Hopkins.  Its about the teams body of work in 2020.  Watson signed the contract and went into the season trying to win games. He personally was very good and the team let him down.  Sacks have been an issue in Houston in the past and he had 49 of them again this year.  

According to ESPN the final straw for Deshaun was the hiring of David Culley.  He did not like that move and hasn't spoken to him yet.  He was told he would be involved in the coaching search and apparently that didn't happen.  I'm not sure the team will ever be able to fix this other than trading him.

If he isn't willing to give the new gm and coach a chance then I don't see him changing no matter where he goes

On 2/9/2021 at 11:02 AM, BlackTiger said:

You guys keep quoting me too.  Hes not a diva, just misunderstood by guys that couldnt possibly understand him.

JJ Watt and Matt Stafford get a pass though

JJ  Watt does not get a pass by me. I said awhile back some of his comments this year came across as quite whiny. Texans were quite a competitive franchise during Watt's playing time. Stafford gave 10 years to the organization  and both he and Detroit knew the organization was going thru a rebuild. I think it was out of respect. Now Watson. I am not sure what is going on and maybe it will come out. Why did he re-sign with the Texans if he was so unhappy? What has changed in the last year? The Texans were very competitive the last 5 years or so. It is not like they have been cell dwellers during Watson's playing time. He apparently was promised some in put in picking the next GM. The Texans apparently did not honour thst request even thought they promised him. I c both the Texans and Watson as being responsible for this situation. I honestly don't know if a lot of teams want to take him on. U trade for him and u r giving him a lot of power within your organisation. Not sure a GM would want that headache. Plus, a player should never requesting in put in picking a GM. That's a huge red flag for me.

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

JJ  Watt does not get a pass by me. I said awhile back some of his comments this year came across as quite whiny. Texans were quite a competitive franchise during Watt's playing time. Stafford gave 10 years to the organization  and both he and Detroit knew the organization was going thru a rebuild. I think it was out of respect. Now Watson. I am not sure what is going on and maybe it will come out. Why did he re-sign with the Texans if he was so unhappy? What has changed in the last year? The Texans were very competitive the last 5 years or so. It is not like they have been cell dwellers during Watson's playing time. He apparently was promised some in put in picking the next GM. The Texans apparently did not honour thst request even thought they promised him. I c both the Texans and Watson as being responsible for this situation. I honestly don't know if a lot of teams want to take him on. U trade for him and u r giving him a lot of power within your organisation. Not sure a GM would want that headache. Plus, a player should never requesting in put in picking a GM. That's a huge red flag for me.

I think Watson was promised a voice about future direction of team when he agreed to new contract, part of reason he signed. I think they backed off their word once he signed and obviously didn't consult him about it.

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

I think Watson was promised a voice about future direction of team when he agreed to new contract, part of reason he signed. I think they backed off their word once he signed and obviously didn't consult him about it.

Then if that is true, he would have more reason to b mad. Howerver what would he need in terms of direction I wonder? Texans were killing the AFC South.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Then if that is true, he would have more reason to b mad. Howerver what would he need in terms of direction I wonder? Texans were killing the AFC South.

It's speculation on my part. Just seems to make sense.

He is leary about direction and signing extension, they tell him what he wants to hear.(that his input will be heard and considered). He signs and that never happens.?

11 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

What has changed in the last year?

That is the real question, and the answer is a lot of things must have changed this last year.

Deshaun and JJ Watt both made it clear they were unhappy with the toxic locker room situation this year, they felt some players were not giving an honest effort.  Some other employees that are not players have also spoken out against the front office.  There are rumors that the team injected too much religion and politics into the locker room, Deandre Hopkins and the former coach seemingly got into it over this.

According to an article I read on ESPN, the number one reason DW is mad was he felt mislead about the search for a head coach.  This was the last straw for him in a long list of issues with the team.

17 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

That is the real question, and the answer is a lot of things must have changed this last year.

Deshaun and JJ Watt both made it clear they were unhappy with the toxic locker room situation this year, they felt some players were not giving an honest effort.  Some other employees that are not players have also spoken out against the front office.  There are rumors that the team injected too much religion and politics into the locker room, Deandre Hopkins and the former coach seemingly got into it over this.

According to an article I read on ESPN, the number one reason DW is mad was he felt mislead about the search for a head coach.  This was the last straw for him in a long list of issues with the team.

There is more to the story than what I have read. Thanks for the info.

On 2/9/2021 at 5:44 PM, jvan1973 said:

If he isn't willing to /!give the new gm and coach a chance then I don't see him changing no matter where he goes

Giving them a chance? You do realize the team in question is the Houston Texas. Lets give the Chicago Bears a chance as well. The owner through the entire front office is a ship of fools.

A bunch of players and staff have spoken out against the team now.  The last straw for Watson was the new Coach.  I see a lot of fans and analysts scratching their heads on that one too

Its kind of funny to me how most of the great players they had seemed to leave on bad terms lol.  Carr hasnt said much but he did retire early.  Johnson and Watt have said plenty.  Watson is unhappy and Arian foster has gone off on them pretty hard.

Archived