Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Texans To Hire David Culley

aReggie7

22 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What if Watson says, if you don't trade me I will just the season out? He has a ton of money so that is possible. 

See above. Me to Watson: You either play for us or you don't play at all. If he does not play, he loses a year of work time (I forget what that is called in football jargon). That affects his future benefits. He can sit out as long as he wants. It does not help him in any way. 

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

See above. Me to Watson: You either play for us or you don't play at all. If he does not play, he loses a year of work time (I forget what that is called in football jargon). That affects his future benefits. He can sit out and long as he wants. It does not help him on any way. 

I agree. I don’t see a sit out. Odds are he plays, but the only other realistic option for him would be to retire. But like I said, that all depends on just how truly mad and spiteful he is. 

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

See above. Me to Watson: You either play for us or you don't play at all. If he does not play, he loses a year of work time (I forget what that is called in football jargon). That affects his future benefits. He can sit out and long as he wants. It does not help him on any way. 

I get that but Barry Sanders did it and just retired. He had plenty of money like Watson has so what if he did that?

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I get that but Barry Sanders did it and just retired. He had plenty of money like Watson has so what if he did that?

He won't retire because he still wants to play. He is asking for a trade. Sander was not asking to be traded. He retired because he did not want to play anymore. The Vikings Robert Smith did the same. Jim Brown too. They were not requesting a trade like Watson is reportedly doing. 

45 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

He won't retire because he still wants to play. He is asking for a trade. Sander was not asking to be traded. He retired because he did not want to play anymore. The Vikings Robert Smith did the same. Jim Brown too. They were not requesting a trade like Watson is reportedly doing. 

Actually Barry wanted to be traded and the Lions refuse to do so. So he retired.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Actually Barry wanted to be traded and the Lions refuse to do so. So he retired.

I don't recall that. But you may be right. I doubt Watson would retire. His career just started and he is very competitive. He knows what it is to be a winner and I'm sure he is striving to do that. He may think he can't win with Houston. :dunno:

Didn't he just sign a long-term contract?  If he was not happy with them, he should not have signed that extension.

25 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I don't recall that. But you may be right. I doubt Watson would retire. His career just started and he is very competitive. He knows what it is to be a winner and I'm sure he is striving to do that. He may think he can't win with Houston. :dunno:

Didn't he just sign a long-term contract?  If he was not happy with them, he should not have signed that extension.

He did sign a huge contract and when he did I said it was a mistake with Houston. I was right on that one. Yep, Barry wanted out of Detroit but because he was under contract they wouldn't let him, they refused to trade him so he said ok I am retiring. Sad really because he is in my Mt Rushmore of RB's = Brown, Emmitt, W Payton, and Barry, my main man Dickerson just missed the cut. Barry was a special player and Detroit was playing hardball with him, what he did was is give them this, goodbye.

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I am not great at posting links but I remember Barry saying he wanted out of Detroit and they would not trade him so he retired.

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

This part is too funny. 

Former Lions VP, Tom Lewand told a great story about Barry that took place immediately after he signed the largest contract in history.

Lewand recalled pulling up next to Barry in the parking lot at training camp in 1998, “He says, ‘Tom, come over and check my new ride. I rewarded myself with a new car.’ I go over, it’s a black Jaguar, and I look in, I go, ‘Barry, this car has 38,000 miles on it.’ He said, ‘I know, I got a great deal.’”

That wasn’t his first used car. Brett Perriman recalled Barry bragging about his new car in 1995 and went out to the parking lot to look at it. “It was a Jaguar all right,” Perriman recalls. “A 1987! I said, ‘Man, that ain’t no new car. You’ve got to be the dirt-cheapest rich man in America!’” haha

Love it. :)

16 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

This part is too funny. 

Former Lions VP, Tom Lewand told a great story about Barry that took place immediately after he signed the largest contract in history.

Lewand recalled pulling up next to Barry in the parking lot at training camp in 1998, “He says, ‘Tom, come over and check my new ride. I rewarded myself with a new car.’ I go over, it’s a black Jaguar, and I look in, I go, ‘Barry, this car has 38,000 miles on it.’ He said, ‘I know, I got a great deal.’”

That wasn’t his first used car. Brett Perriman recalled Barry bragging about his new car in 1995 and went out to the parking lot to look at it. “It was a Jaguar all right,” Perriman recalls. “A 1987! I said, ‘Man, that ain’t no new car. You’ve got to be the dirt-cheapest rich man in America!’” haha

Love it. :)

Barry was awesome.

On 1/28/2021 at 12:30 AM, Colts1324 said:

I'm still confused on how it's fair to give Baltimore TWO 3rd round picks for ANOTHER team hiring one of their coaches. Shouldn't the team hiring get the picks if anything?? 

Works for me with the two third round compensatory picks ! We will give anyone Greg Roman for a seventh round pick and a ham sandwich. 

Time will tell, but on the surface this seems like a dumb hire.   The guy has never even been a coordinator.  Most on the sports shows agreed that this was a baffling hire.   It was comical listening to them stumble because he is black.  

The Texans are bringing in Lovie Smith as DC and Pep Hamilton as QB coach. I think both are good hires.

At the time I thought it was the right move for the Colts to let Pep go. In hindsight i'm not sure that was the case. Regardless, I really thought he would have another shot as an OC by now especially after his work with Justin Herbert this past season.

On 1/27/2021 at 10:43 PM, Dunk said:

Eric Bieniemy is shunned again.

On 1/28/2021 at 2:24 PM, King Colt said:

Bieniemy - something smells afoul. Everyone says he is the best but does not get the job. Now explain that.

On 1/28/2021 at 3:34 PM, crazycolt1 said:

He has had off field issues for a few things that included DUIs and assaults. 

That may be a few years ago but passing a background check is part of getting (or not getting) a lot of jobs. 

It could also be the fact that the Chiefs are still playing, and most teams are loathe to wait until after the Superbowl to hire their next coach. I think if the Chiefs had been upset & eliminated, Bieniemy may have landed one of the jobs that just hired people this past week.

2 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

It could also be the fact that the Chiefs are still playing, and most teams are loathe to wait until after the Superbowl to hire their next coach. I think if the Chiefs had been upset & eliminated, Bieniemy may have landed one of the jobs that just hired people this past week.

He can be interviewed and accept an offer before the season end.

Archived