Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Texans To Hire David Culley

I don't think the Texans is a great situation, with or without DeShaun Watson, but i'm happy to see David Culley get a shot as a head coach. He was a wide receivers coach for Andy Reid for a number of years but left in 2017 (he was 62 then) to be the Bills QB coach. Even at in his 60s he wanted to become a head coach and the chance to coach QBs would put him in a better position to do so. Then he goes to the Ravens last year as their Passing Game Coordinator and now he gets a shot. I just admire him for still having that kind of drive in his career when most are probably thinking about retirement. (and to take some chances to make it happen)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Wow! I thought the Texans were dumb when they Bill O'Brien run the franchise. Now they really want to push their franchise QB out the door. Keep up the good work Texans management! 

tenor.gif

Why would this push him out the door?  Culley is a very well respected coach and has been doing it a long time

6 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Why would this push him out the door?  Culley is a very well respected coach and has been doing it a long time

I don't remember ever hearing even once that Culley was someone that Watson suggested to the Texans. I'm not saying he is the wrong choice, I'm just saying that for a franchise that has already alienated their best player it may have not been the best move they could have made. Who knows he may have presented Texans management his plan on how to smooth things over with Watson and convince him to stay. Culley could turn out to be a great hire but on initial appearance it looks like a head scratcher to hire someone in their 60's who has never even been a coordinator at the NFL level to be the head coach. 

I wish him the best in this job. It won't be easy with Bill O'Brien having given away many of their draft picks and now Watson wanting out. I would not give in to Watson's request to be traded. He is under contract and the team has no obligation to trade him. He won't sit out. 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

I don't remember ever hearing even once that Culley was someone that Watson suggested to the Texans. I'm not saying he is the wrong choice, I'm just saying that for a franchise that has already alienated their best player it may have not been the best move they could have made. Who knows he may have presented Texans management his plan on how to smooth things over with Watson and convince him to stay. Culley could turn out to be a great hire but on initial appearance it looks like a head scratcher to hire someone in their 60's who has never even been a coordinator at the NFL level to be the head coach. 

It may be a head scratcher but Watson is not the owner nor the one in charge of the hiring and firing. 

Like I said, Watson has a chance to take control and lead the Texans, or he can run. 

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I wish him the best in this job. It won't be easy with Bill O'Brien having given away many of their draft picks and now Watson wanting out. I would not give in to Watson's request to be traded. He is under contract and the team has no obligation to trade him. He won't sit out. 

What if Watson says, if you don't trade me I will just the season out? He has a ton of money so that is possible. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

No maybe not. But unlike Levon Bell sitting out, Watson could do it and come right back the next season and light it up. Plus if he does decide he wants to be out, the Texans have no resources to go get his replacement without a trade.  Imagine your starting QB sitting out thru all the training camps and OTAs all off season. While you have no draft picks to replace him. Or worse yet, he pulls an Andrew Luck because they won’t trade him and simply retires at the last minute. Texans would be way worse off than we were with Brissett. They’d be bottom feeders for years. 

• Like 1

Not sure why Watson gets a pass on trying to bully an organization into hiring a coach he wants.  Did he word the bullying correctly?

He sounds like a locker room cancer that I doubt any HC would want on their team.  Great athlete and play making abilities when not following script (or able too?), but a net detriment considering how he would require an entire organization to cower to his wishes.  If Watson treats ownership and coaches this way, could you imagine if you were a player he didn't like.

I wouldn't give a 7th rounder for a player with that attitude.  He should probably go to social media and display some humility.

But maybe he approves of Culley, so now the organization can move forward if they have their QBs blessing.

1 hour ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Players don't get to hire coaches.   They kept the OC to keep Watson happy. 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What if Watson says, if you don't trade me I will just the season out? He has a ton of money so that is possible. 

We don't have a clue on Watson's money situation.

We don't know what type of bills he has and what he does and doesn't have as far as money.

He sits out he don't get paid and then there are fines added to what he owes the team back. 

I really don't think he has as much leverage as you might think. 

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

No maybe not. But unlike Levon Bell sitting out, Watson could do it and come right back the next season and light it up. Plus if he does decide he wants to be out, the Texans have no resources to go get his replacement without a trade.  Imagine your starting QB sitting out thru all the training camps and OTAs all off season. While you have no draft picks to replace him. Or worse yet, he pulls an Andrew Luck because they won’t trade him and simply retires at the last minute. Texans would be way worse off than we were with Brissett. They’d be bottom feeders for years. 

I highly doubt Watson is going to retire and walk away. Not with that type of money. I don't know his personal finances but if he has high dollar bills to pay he has to work. 

42 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

We don't have a clue on Watson's money situation.

We don't know what type of bills he has and what he does and doesn't have as far as money.

He sits out he don't get paid and then there are fines added to what he owes the team back. 

I really don't think he has as much leverage as you might think. 

Maybe but I seriously doubt he goes broke sitting out 1 year, if so he must be the worse person of all-time to handle money. He just made a boat load of money last season.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I highly doubt Watson is going to retire and walk away. Not with that type of money. I don't know his personal finances but if he has high dollar bills to pay he has to work. 

Oh I doubt it too. It just depends on exactly how mad he is and what he’s willing to give and take on. No one but him and his inner circle know that

• Like 2
13 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

May not be a popular opinion but I think Watson should become a leader. 

Like it or not the Texans are Watson's team to lead. 

It is a crap organization and 1 man can't win Titles in football as you know. They took Hopkins away from him and have done nothing to improve their defense. Now they have a headcoach that has never been one before. If I was Watson I would never play another down for those clowns.

46 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Maybe but I seriously doubt he goes broke sitting out 1 year, if so he must be the worse person of all-time to handle money. He just made a boat load of money last season.

Yeah but we both know what he was paid in a contract is not close to the actual money he received. 

If the Texan's decide to play hardball it will be Watson who will hurt himself in the long rum IMO.

He can complain and say a lot of things but he did sign the contract and the Texans hold the cards. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is a crap organization and 1 man can't win Titles in football as you know. They took Hopkins away from him and have done nothing to improve their defense. Now they have a headcoach that has never been one before. If I was Watson I would never play another down for those clowns.

So you would never make another dollar playing football? 

Saying what you would do if you were him does not mean he will walk away from millions and millions of dollars. 

Like it or not the Texan's are holding the flush while he is holding two pair. 

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yeah but we both know what he was paid in a contract is not close to the actual money he received. 

If the Texan's decide to play hardball it will be Watson who will hurt himself in the long rum IMO.

He can complain and say a lot of things but he did sign the contract and the Texans hold the cards. 

True but I am sure he isn't hurting for money. I would hope not, if so that is terrible. We don't know his bills, I am sure they are large but he should be ok IMO.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

So you would never make another dollar playing football? 

Saying what you would do if you were him does not mean he will walk away from millions and millions of dollars. 

Like it or not the Texan's are holding the flush while he is holding two pair. 

He has a no trade clause, he can go where he wants. He has a Royal Flush, Ace high.

20 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Oh I doubt it too. It just depends on exactly how mad he is and what he’s willing to give and take on. No one but him and his inner circle know that

Very true. As fans we can say what we would or wouldn't do but till you wear those shoes, it's hard to say.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He has a no trade clause, he can go where he wants. He has a Royal Flush, Ace high.

He is under contract. It's his choice either to play or walk. So no, he don't hold the winning hand. 

They don't have to trade him or pay him if he don't play. 

He is under contract. It's his choice either to play or walk. So no, he don't hold the winning hand. 

They don't have to trade him or pay him if he don't play. 

You have to factor in, if he doesn't like where they want to trade him and refuses to go then Houston gets nothing and they are screwed. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You have to factor in, if he doesn't like where they want to trade him and refuses to go then Houston gets nothing and they are screwed. 

Neither does he. 

Neither does he. 

True but do you really think Houston wants to be a doormat. If that team doesn't have Watson they could go 0-16. There is no Luck or Lawrence coming out next year. Watson to me holds a lot of cards. This is easy to me, if I was Watson I would just request a trade to a team I want to go too and then Houston get 2 or 3 picks. Both sides win.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

True but do you really think Houston wants to be a doormat. If that team doesn't have Watson they could go 0-16. There is no Luck or Lawrence coming out next year. Watson to me holds a lot of cards. This is easy to me, if I was Watson I would just request a trade to a team I want to go too and then Houston get 2 or 3 picks. Both sides win.

This is a no win for both parties. 

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

Bieniemy - something smells afoul. Everyone says he is the best but does not get the job. Now explain that.

He has had off field issues for a few things that included DUIs and assaults. 

That may be a few years ago but passing a background check is part of getting (or not getting) a lot of jobs. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, King Colt said:

Bieniemy - something smells afoul. Everyone says he is the best but does not get the job. Now explain that.

What do you think is the foul smell? 

They should trade Watson imo.  they will be screwed if they dont and he sits out

He wont be happy if he does come back, who wants to be a part of a team if the star QB doesn't want to be there?

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

What do you think is the foul smell? 

Heck if I know but this makes no sense, He has interviewed with six teams and no offer. Houston, the team that was handed official docs by Watson saying "I am leaving". So add Watt not returning, Culley the new HC will be a loser for a couple years and then be fired.  List the wrongs with Bieniemy's resume to justify not hiring him. The only thing i can come up with is he is the worst interview in history.

10 hours ago, csmopar said:

I would not give in to his demands. Most of the time it does not work out in the team's best interests.

When Adrian Peterson's agent Ben Dogra claimed that AP would never play again for the Vikings, Zimmer said, "I’m not going to speculate on what he wants or doesn’t want. He’s under contract for three more years with us and that’s why you sign these contracts, and why you get these big bonuses."

Later, Zimmer added, "He's got two choices. He can play for us or not play," 

That is exactly how I see it. Watson got paid. He should show some leadership and loyalty to the team that paid him. (I like Watson a lot but I completely disagree with this. It is selfish.)

• Like 1