Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nelson has only allowed 3 sacks in his career so far

CR91

On 1/27/2021 at 4:16 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Tell me if I’m wrong....

Arent his grades this year the lowest they’ve been?    Wasn't the run blocking for the whole OL the first 6-8 weeks pretty underwhelming?   Weren’t we all talking about it the first half of the season?

Inquiring minds have questions!   

He did have a back issue this offseason.  See 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/2142297/quenton-nelson that site also says Costanzo (Oblique) and Kelly (Knee) dealt with some off season stuff.  

Don't want to get too much into it as it's already been discussed in this thread, but like @GoColts8818 said, some of the early running struggles were definitely due to Mack going out and the run game being re-worked (Reich and Sirianni definitely didn't plan for Mack to go out for the season week 1, Taylor mentioned in an interview later in the season he wasn't anticipating being thrown into the fire that early, and I doubt our use of Hines/Wilkins was planned to be that much as RBs that early in the year).  Taylor definitely needed some time to adjust, which is normal for a rookie (especially one with no preseason games).  

Additionally, we ran almost 0 play action and had a brand new QB who was basically a statue in the pocket (Q and the OL played in front of Luck and Jacoby the previous two years -- both pretty mobile QBs, especially compared to Rivers).  Pass protecting for Rivers had to be pretty different than it did for Luck/JB and that coupled with limited offseason, no preseason, and the running back situations had to in someway impact the OL.

Finally, which doesn't seem to have been discussed - it seemed (at least to my eye) like the O play calling was very predictable at times this year.  Especially our run game.  I'm not a D-Coordinator and don't study much game film other than watching most Colts' games live, but I could >75% of the time predict when we were going to hand the ball off to Hines up the middle from shotgun for example and could generally call running plays from my couch pretty good... if I could do that, I imagine opposing defenses (and D-coordinators) who get paid a lot of money to watch game tape ad nauseum could do it even better.

As you eluded to in a later post, there's probably a combination of many things going on which led to the OL decline early in the year.  They finished the year strong, and there is still not an offensive lineman in the league I'd rather have as a Colt than Quenton Nelson.  He earned his 3rd straight 1st team all-pro and if he stays healthy, I see him continuing that trend.

8 minutes ago, That Guy said:

Does anyone know who got the three sacks?  I seem to remember Cam Heyward for Pitt getting the better of him at least once.  I think he gave one up against Ten once as well?

Anyone have the list?

I think I would rather see the list of the players who haven't sacked our QB since Big Q has been drafted. :spit:

14 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think I would rather see the list of the players who haven't sacked our QB since Big Q has been drafted. :spit:

That'd be a LOOOONG list.  I still believe in giving credit where credit is due, though.  If they got past Big Q, they might be worth looking into if they become free agents. 

The way Q holds grudges, he could probably tell you the three off the top of his head. 

18 hours ago, That Guy said:

Does anyone know who got the three sacks?  I seem to remember Cam Heyward for Pitt getting the better of him at least once.  I think he gave one up against Ten once as well?

Anyone have the list?

I could be wrong wrong here but, if I remember correctly, two of the three sacks were by Heyward.

If this is correct, Nelson would only have given up sacks to two players in three years!

10 hours ago, Mackrel829 said:

I could be wrong wrong here but, if I remember correctly, two of the three sacks were by Heyward.

If this is correct, Nelson would only have given up sacks to two players in three years!

I thought so as well, but I wasn't sure.  I thought it was Cam Heyward twice and Jurell Casey once?

On 1/28/2021 at 6:51 AM, Nickster said:

Yep right at 1 a year.  He hopes to improve on that.

Love the avatar.  GB pretty much has to keep him this year though.

Thanks man, found it on Reddit a few weeks ago lol. I wish Rodgers would demand a trade just to see if Ballard pursues him and how much he's willing to give up to get him.

Archived