Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nelson has only allowed 3 sacks in his career so far

CR91

1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

If he keeps working hard, saying his prayers, and taking his vitamins he may one day turn into a good player. At least that’s the formula that was reported to me. 

Let me tell you something brother... Lol

9 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I heard today that he and Barry Sanders are the only two players to be all pro their first 3 years.

I saw that too but I think the caveat was that it was only among players in the last 30 years.  However still a great accomplishment. 

2 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I saw that too but I think the caveat was that it was only among players in the last 30 years.  However still a great accomplishment. 

ahhh i didn't hear that part but sometimes i have selective hearing, like when my girlfriend asks me something.

10 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I heard today that he and Barry Sanders are the only two players to be all pro their first 3 years.

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

Yes, within last 30 years and the other caveat is 'First Team' All-Pro.  I'm not sure how many others would join that list if you included 'first' and 'second' team all-pros... Darius Leonard would be one of the few, though as he's been 1st, 2nd, 1st team all pro in his first 3 years.

48 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t know if it was Covid and no off-season, OR,  if there was an undisclosed injury, something seemed not quite right. 

And I believe his 2020 PFF grades reflected that.   Hoping for a better ‘21. 

Or people are over reacting to something that wasn’t there.  

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Or people are over reacting to something that wasn’t there.  

Tell me if I’m wrong....

Arent his grades this year the lowest they’ve been?    Wasn't the run blocking for the whole OL the first 6-8 weeks pretty underwhelming?   Weren’t we all talking about it the first half of the season?

Inquiring minds have questions!   

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Tell me if I’m wrong....

Arent his grades this year the lowest they’ve been?    Wasn't the run blocking for the whole OL the first 6-8 weeks pretty underwhelming?   Weren’t we all talking about it the first half of the season?

Those grades aren’t the end all be all some want them to be.

Let’s talk about the run game for a moment.  What’s more likely?  That the all pro guard, pro-bowl level left tackle and pro bowl center all regressed for the first half of the year or that the rookie running back wasn’t seeing the field very well and once the game slowed down some (his own words) and he got comfortable in the offense the running game started working better.

18 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Those grades aren’t the end all be all some want them to be.

Let’s talk about the run game for a moment.  What’s more likely?  That the all pro guard, pro-bowl level left tackle and pro bowl center all regressed for the first half of the year or that the rookie running back wasn’t seeing the field very well and once the game slowed down some (his own words) and he got comfortable in the offense the running game started working better.

I don’t know that it has to be one or the other.

It might be a little of both....   remember, it’s not like other other running backs we’re doing great while only Taylor was struggling.   The whole running game seemed stuck in molasses.    I attribute that to Covid wiping out the off-season and pre-season.   I think we tuned up our running game almost using  the first half of the season as pre-season. 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t know that it has to be one or the other.

It might be a little of both....   remember, it’s not like other other running backs we’re doing great while only Taylor was struggling.   The whole running game seemed stuck in molasses.    I attribute that to Covid wiping out the off-season and pre-season.   I think we tuned up our running game almost using  the first half of the season as pre-season. 

It’s not like Hines or Wilkins are Taylor or Mack either.  They are back ups and in Hines case a really nice change of pace back.  In Hines case he actually had his best year rushing which seems to argue against the idea that the line regressed.  Nelson and the line were their normal selves which is a big part of the reason the pass protection improved.  They had a rookie who struggling with the speed of the game, as most rookies do, until the game slowed down for him.  When it did Taylor exploded in a good way.  The line didn’t just forget how to block for half the year and magically figure it out at the same time the running back figured out the NFL.  

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

It’s not like Hines or Wilkins are Taylor or Mack either.  They are back ups and in Hines case a really nice change of pace back.  In Hines case he actually had his best year rushing which seems to argue against the idea that the line regressed.  Nelson and the line were their normal selves which is a big part of the reason the pass protection improved.  They had a rookie who struggling with the speed of the game, as most rookies do, until the game slowed down for him.  When it did Taylor exploded in a good way.  The line didn’t just forget how to block for half the year and magically figure it out at the same time the running back figured out the NFL.  

You don’t have to convince me about Taylor and the rookie learning curve.  I was banging that table here long and loud the whole first half of the season when people here predicted Taylor was another bust running back from Wisconsin. 

By the way, those posters are no where to be found now.   

But the running back group all struggled a bit the first 6-8 weeks.  Hines’ yearly numbers are modestly improved, nothing eye popping.   Week one we couldn’t manage 100 yards against the 32nd ranked run defense.  That screams Covid to me. 

I’m not looking to be argumentative with you.  I’m just trying to iffer another viewpoint. 

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You don’t have to convince me about Taylor and the rookie learning curve.  I was banging that table here long and loud the whole first half of the season when people here predicted Taylor was another bust running back from Wisconsin. 

By the way, those posters are no where to be found now.   

But the running back group all struggled a bit the first 6-8 weeks.  Hines’ yearly numbers are modestly improved, nothing eye popping.   Week one we couldn’t manage 100 yards against the 32nd ranked run defense.  That screams Covid to me. 

I’m not looking to be argumentative with you.  I’m just trying to iffer another viewpoint. 

Because Taylor was a rookie and Hines and Wilkins are not starter material.  Hines has a career year and that didn’t all happen in the last 8 weeks of the season when he lost carries to Taylor.  That’s why they struggled, not because the line took a step back.  It was a running back issue which is why you didn’t see the translation to the pass blocking.  

Week one was because Mack got hurt in the game and it completely changed the game plan plus Frank went pass happy for some reason in that game, again probably due to losing Mack.  Frank also didn’t turn to Taylor in that game he turned to Hines and see my point above about Hines not being on Taylor and Mack’s level.  

I mean think about the argument for the line regressed.  They only regressed in run blocking for about half the year but yet improved in pass protection and then magically remembered how to run block at the same time the rookie running back figured out the NFL.  That’s awfully convenient timing.  The more reasonable explanation is that they lost their starting running back in the first game of the season and the rookie running back was struggling with the speed of the game and the backup running backs while having good years for them were still not starter material.  

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Because Taylor was a rookie and Hines and Wilkins are not starter material.  Hines has a career year and that didn’t all happen in the last 8 weeks of the season when he lost carries to Taylor.  That’s why they struggled, not because the line took a step back.  It was a running back issue which is why you didn’t see the translation to the pass blocking.  

Week one was because Mack got hurt in the game and it completely changed the game plan plus Frank went pass happy for some reason in that game, again probably due to losing Mack.  Frank also didn’t turn to Taylor in that game he turned to Hines and see my point above about Hines not being on Taylor and Mack’s level.  

I mean think about the argument for the line regressed.  They only regressed in run blocking for about half the year but yet improved in pass protection and then magically remembered how to run block at the same time the rookie running back figured out the NFL.  That’s awfully convenient timing.  The more reasonable explanation is that they lost their starting running back in the first game of the season and the rookie running back was struggling with the speed of the game and the backup running backs while having good years for them were still not starter material.  

On addition to Q, didn’t both AC  and Kelly also have the lowest PFF scores of the past three years as well?  

First you tried to argue that Hines improved his running, now you’re arguing in the last few posts that Hines is a backup and not that good and now Wlkins isn’t very good being a backup.   The same Wilkins that averaged 5.6 and 6.0 yards per carry his first two years, this season it’s 3.7.   But according to you, we can’t blame the OL.   

I offered that the line might be at least partly to blame.   You don’t move an inch. 

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

Wait so who plays miss elizabeth?

You know what? Call me crazy, but let’s switch it up. Instead of a love triangle let’s have them both wind up competing to gain the approval of the “cool friend”, Pat McAfee himself... 

We’ll have a hiney every 18 inches.  

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Tell me if I’m wrong....

Well keep in mind, they had a new OL coach too, new scheme, new calls. So it’s not surprising with the other stuff combined in there that the first half looked bleak. 

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

Well keep in mind, they had a new OL coach too, new scheme, new calls. So it’s not surprising with the other stuff combined in there that the first half looked bleak. 

New OL coach?   Strausser?   Wasn’t this year two for him and his new scheme?   I believe so.... 

Archived