Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mel Kiper's 1st Mock

I mean I’ve seen him compared to Brandon Graham which I would love to have. Could be very good. A great athlete but is a straight line guy. Needs to develop more pass rush abilities to become very good. If he was at 21 I would be fine with this pick for sure. 

57 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

He won't be there for us to take him. He was a prospect with insane physical and athletic ability and this year he seemed to have started figuring it out technically too. I doubt he drops out of the top 12-13 or thereabout. Rumor is he ran 6.39 3cone at 6'4 270lbs... which would be the second best 3cone time of all time by ANY position player at the combine. I'd love that pick if he was there at 21... (in case we don't go with QB). 

3 hours ago, stitches said:

He won't be there for us to take him. He was a prospect with insane physical and athletic ability and this year he seemed to have started figuring it out technically too. I doubt he drops out of the top 12-13 or thereabout. Rumor is he ran 6.39 3cone at 6'4 270lbs... which would be the second best 3cone time of all time by ANY position player at the combine. I'd love that pick if he was there at 21... (in case we don't go with QB). 

Wow if he ran a 3 cone at that speed than his athletic ability is incredible. 

48 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Wow if he ran a 3 cone at that speed than his athletic ability is incredible. 

Yep, he was no.1 on Bruce Feldman's "Freaks list" for the year. He looks very impressive athletically. If he continues to improve with his technique and gets it all together he has it all to be a very impactful complete pass-rusher in the league. 

39 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yep, he was no.1 on Bruce Feldman's "Freaks list" for the year. He looks very impressive athletically. If he continues to improve with his technique and gets it all together he has it all to be a very impactful complete pass-rusher in the league. 

I completely agree. I have watched him and being reading in him the last few days. Once he learns a few moves and understands angles better that guy could really be a monster. Wishful thinking for us at 21 I guess. 

9 minutes ago, tvturner said:

Paye is the best defensive line prospect in the entire draft.

Getting him at 21 would be a steal

He probably goes top 10

Normally that would be quite a compliment.  But I don’t think it’s much of a compliment this year.  I don’t think there’s much DL 1st round talent this year.   

14 minutes ago, tvturner said:

Paye is the best defensive line prospect in the entire draft.

Getting him at 21 would be a steal

He probably goes top 10

Kwity Paye is ranked 15th on The Draft Network, 7th on CBS Sports, and 18th on Draftek.

I think there's very little chance we get him at 21.

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

If he fell i would take Jones 

If Houston and Autry return im fine shading away from DE

I would not spend #21 on Jones, especially a year after drafting Eason.

It's one thing to throw to first-round WRs when you're facing college defenses, another thing altogether to throw into smaller windows NFL defenses present. I'm not yet convinced Jones has the arm strength to do that consistently. Maybe the Senior Bowl will change things.

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Normally that would be quite a compliment.  But I don’t think it’s much of a compliment this year.  I don’t think there’s much DL 1st round talent this year.   

While true, the DE/DT position group as a whole is weak in this draft but it shouldn't negate Paye's talent

4 minutes ago, tvturner said:

While true, the DE/DT position group as a whole is weak in this draft but it shouldn't negate Paye's talent

if Paye's somehow there at #21 I have no problem with Ballard picking him

I'd also have no problem with Ballard taking "Jokor" if he's there, especially if A Walker's not going to be re-signed

8 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

I would not spend #21 on Jones, especially a year after drafting Eason.

It's one thing to throw to first-round WRs when you're facing college defenses, another thing altogether to throw into smaller windows NFL defenses present. I'm not yet convinced Jones has the arm strength to do that consistently. Maybe the Senior Bowl will change things.

What we do in the draft will depend how FA goes or if they trade for Stafford. If no QB is set draft time then yes Jones should be option.

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

What we do in the draft will depend how FA goes or if they trade for Stafford. If no QB is set draft time then yes Jones should be option.

guess we'll have to disagree on that one: I don't personally think Jones can come in and move the needle much, if any, farther than Rivers did

if a trade for Stafford (which presumably would take #21 out of the picture) can't be pulled off, and a top-shelf lt, edge, cb or wr is there at #21, I'm going in that direction rather than Jones.

15 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

guess we'll have to disagree on that one: I don't personally think Jones can come in and move the needle much, if any, farther than Rivers did

if a trade for Stafford (which presumably would take #21 out of the picture) can't be pulled off, and a top-shelf lt, edge, cb or wr is there at #21, I'm going in that direction rather than Jones.

What is your plan at QB then? I'm assuming Eason.

Paye is 29th for McShay. 
Clearly, he is as high or higher for Kiper. 

It’s an unremarkable class of D-linemen, both ends and tackles.  Zero easy and obvious players who would be top-10 or top-5 in most any given year.   All have holes in their game.  

But.... a reminder...  things are even more fluid now, this year, than any other year.  Covid has changed everything.   There will be lots and lots of changes in the next three months. 

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

What is your plan at QB then? I'm assuming Eason.

my plan (to the extent that it can even be called a true "plan") is to say "^$%*#$%@#, we still haven't replaced Luck; better sign Fitz and give Eason one more year"

in other words, IMO it's nearly impossible in today's NFL to win a Super Bowl without an elite or near-elite QB, so if I can't swing a trade for a near-elite Stafford or an elite (& fed up) Rodgers, I'm not sure I'm really in a "Super Bowl window" after all. In which case rather than cross my fingers and hope Mac Jones is even better than advertised, I'm using my #21 on a player I'm SURE will come in and immediately contribute, if not start. Oweh, Jokor, Cosmi, Horn, etc.

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Paye is 29th for McShay. 
Clearly, he is as high or higher for Kiper. 

It’s an unremarkable class of D-linemen, both ends and tackles.  Zero easy and obvious players who would be top-10 or top-5 in most any given year.   All have holes in their game.  

But.... a reminder...  things are even more fluid now, this year, than any other year.  Covid has changed everything.   There will be lots and lots of changes in the next three months. 

We can still prioritize a quality OL followed by a situational pass rusher and get value for skill positions on Day 3, that is the direction I am sensing the draft would go for us, especially if draft capital is spent on acquiring a QB. 

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

We can still prioritize a quality OL followed by a situational pass rusher and get value for skill positions on Day 3, that is the direction I am sensing the draft would go for us, especially if draft capital is spent on acquiring a QB. 

A lot depends on what else besides our first we’d have to give up?  

36 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

With retiring OT, I would be surprised if the team went DL with the first pick. Of course, slot value always tops things, but if equal?...I see Edge/hybrid or CB as a bigger need. 

We should know by mid-March, no later than the end of March.

If we sign a FA LT,  then we're not picking one with our first round pick.

If we don't,  it depends if we trade the pick for a QB....   

13 hours ago, chad72 said:

If we resign Houston, we'll have him and Turay to man the RDE spot.  With today's mobile QBs, I'm interested in getting a LDE who doesn't run around the RT to get to the QB...leaving a huge escape route.

I want an edge setting LDE.  A guy who engages the RT stoutly and holds his ground a yard or two behind the LOS, keeping the mobile QB from running to his right, keeping him in the pocket for Buckner and Houston/Turay to get the sack.  (KC rushed two defenders from the left side of the D line because Josh Allen almost always rolls right.  He was stuck and flustered).  

No escape routes to the QBs right please.

52 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If we resign Houston, we'll have him and Turay to man the RDE spot.  With today's mobile QBs, I'm interested in getting a LDE who doesn't run around the RT to get to the QB...leaving a huge escape route.

I want an edge setting LDE.  A guy who engages the RT stoutly and holds his ground a yard or two behind the LOS, keeping the mobile QB from running to his right, keeping him in the pocket for Buckner and Houston/Turay to get the sack.  (KC rushed two defenders from the left side of the D line because Josh Allen almost always rolls right.  He was stuck and flustered).  

No escape routes to the QBs right please.

They did both. They saw how the WRs were lined up. If they stacked them on one side, they would blitz from that side and crowd the crossing routes with the LBs in the middle, with the idea that Allen would have to wait several seconds before the WRs can run to the opposite side, where they don't have defenders. By that time, the pass rush got to him most of the time. That also sped up his internal clock and he started spraying his throws and led to inaccuracy.

If you run a balanced formation vs the Chiefs, with 2 WRs and 2 TEs, as opposed to 3 WRs and 1 TE, they will have a harder time blitzing because the QB should be able to find someone on either side. That is what the Bills did not do enough of, IMO. 

Archived