Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay was not at fault for moving the colts?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

- lets get out of Baltimore as quick as possible Mr Irsay, ok watch this maneuvering.

We've talked about this so much

But its a story that must be brought up from time to time to remind us blessed we are to have this team  

Yeah, the state wanted to seize the team. Maryland politics is awesome.. Baltimore fans of a certain age say "nu uh, Irsay was a drunk!". Productive debate fodder.

But why is this a thing right now?

IMO, hilarious situation. Gov overreach at it's finest lol. 

I only wonder if the NFL made Maryland sign off on something (saying they wouldn't seize) before they gave them a new franchise. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Nadine said:

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Very old news

Sorry. First time I was aware of this. You can lock it.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, CR91 said:

It is old news for most, but I don't recall seeing it discussed on the site before (at least the senate aspects of it).

• Like 3

Yeah, it's ancient history.  The Colts have been in Indianapolis longer than they were in Baltimore.  People 45 and under have no memory of the Baltimore Colts.  

The thing I wonder about is did the colts really sneak out of Baltimore in the Mayflower Van's in the middle of the night??

Yeah we seen the video, so 

maybe the city didn't know ?...but what about the league? Isn't there a vote by other owners that need a majority to allow a team relocating? Or it wasn't in place then?

It's hard to think Pete Rozelle didn't know about it. 

14 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

The thing I wonder about is did the colts really sneak out of Baltimore in the Mayflower Van's in the middle of the night??

Yeah we seen the video, so 

maybe the city didn't know ?...but what about the league? Isn't there a vote by other owners that need a majority to allow a team relocating? Or it wasn't in place then?

It's hard to think Pete Rozelle didn't know about it. 

very different days back then. much more "corporate" these days.

can you imagine a city trying to seize a team these days. or a team leaving in the middle of the night. 

these days, the NFL teams have power over their cities, get free stadiums built, tax breaks, etc.. 

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

I've been fan for 60 years and somehow I never knew about the threat of using eminent domain by the state of Maryland. If that's true and was a legit threat to Robert Irsay , IMO he had every right to pull out in the middle of the night. That said , the man was a devil according to his mother. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Nadine said:

Basically a once a year all out dogfight, every year, in the early internet days on forums like indystar, sporting news  etc. that then went into hyperdrive when Modell moved the Browns

• Like 1
7 hours ago, CR91 said:

No need to lock.  I didn't mean that.

I didn't know that there were people that didn't know this story.

Baltimore fans were heart broken but, these days, everything has worked out for the best.

Thankfully

Although there is still disagreement on who has rights to the franchise history before the move.  But, even that is fading

Time heals

• Like 4
8 hours ago, ColtV said:

Basically a once a year all out dogfight, every year, in the early internet days on forums like indystar, sporting news  etc. that then went into hyperdrive when Modell moved the Browns

I always wondered why Modell did not take such coaching talent and staff like Belichick, Saban, Kirk Ferentz, Jim Schwartz, Scott Pioli, Newsome, Michael Lombardi etc. with him when he moved the Browns. Did any of the players/staff become part of the new franchise automatically? Or were they all out of work just like the coaches?

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I always wondered why Modell did not take such coaching talent and staff like Belichick, Saban, Kirk Ferentz, Jim Schwartz, Scott Pioli, Newsome, Michael Lombardi etc. with him when he moved the Browns. Did any of the players/staff become part of the new franchise automatically? Or were they all out of work just like the coaches?

All of the players went.   Model fired Belichick before the move

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Newsome stayed on, he moved into the front office immediately after he retired from playing.

As far as Belichick, I think even if they hadn't moved he was out. Browns had been a wild card team in 94, but disappointed in 95 with Vinny Testaverde being benched midway through the season.Bichick did have an a set of coached who really went on to success there, including Nick Saban who was defensive coordinator up to 94

• Like 1
12 hours ago, The Fish said:

Yeah, the state wanted to seize the team. Maryland politics is awesome.. Baltimore fans of a certain age say "nu uh, Irsay was a drunk!". Productive debate fodder.

But why is this a thing right now?

My guess is the good old youtube algorithm is getting this video around because i know it got me this past week lol

• Haha 2
11 minutes ago, twfish said:

My guess is the good old youtube algorithm is getting this video around because i know it got me this past week lol

Holy crap?! A real answer!

That would be it. Thanks for the heads up.

• Haha 2

Not only that, but the stadium was in such a terrible state and deeply in need of massive upgrades.  As I understand it, the upgrades wouldn't happen without some serious concessions, hence the legislature trying to seize the team under eminent domain.  Legal?  Probably not.  Desparate?  Absolutely.  The fact that some Baltimore fans are still salty about it, but then take in the 95 Cleveland Browns by storm and rename them the Ravens is really the only argument you'll ever need against said salty fans.

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, twfish said:

"they already had a cracker barrel"

13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

It is old news for most, but I don't recall seeing it discussed on the site before (at least the senate aspects of it).

It has. Everytime its come up. It’s a well known fact. 

• Like 1

Time cures all. Baltimore fans were mad understandably so they lost their team. I dont think it was public knowledge at the time that the city was attempting to some what illegally seize the team. 

Although it is funny as heck that some STILL remain upset to this day given that this info has become public knowledge. As well as others have mentioned the Colts have been in Indy longer than Baltimore at this point and Bal embraced a new team from another city, Its kind of contradictory to cheer for the current Ravens and still be upset about the old colts, but those people are out their.

Yes - heard/read all of this before.  Even if Daddy Irsay was a drunken jerk it doesn't give the state the right to seize the team.  There would be a whole lot of businesses "seized" by government entities in this in this country if that was legal!

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Time cures all. Baltimore fans were mad understandably so they lost their team. I dont think it was public knowledge at the time that the city was attempting to some what illegally seize the team. 

Although it is funny as heck that some STILL remain upset to this day given that this info has become public knowledge. As well as others have mentioned the Colts have been in Indy longer than Baltimore at this point and Bal embraced a new team from another city, Its kind of contradictory to cheer for the current Ravens and still be upset about the old colts, but those people are out their.

It was public knowledge from the beginning

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

They held highly publicized and open to the public hearings on it for months

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

truck GIF- lets get out of Baltimore as quick as possible Mr Irsay, ok watch this maneuvering.

Wish I could drive like that!

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Not only that, but the stadium was in such a terrible state and deeply in need of massive upgrades.  As I understand it, the upgrades wouldn't happen without some serious concessions, hence the legislature trying to seize the team under eminent domain.  Legal?  Probably not.  Desparate?  Absolutely.  The fact that some Baltimore fans are still salty about it, but then take in the 95 Cleveland Browns by storm and rename them the Ravens is really the only argument you'll ever need against said salty fans.

I can attest to the fact that Memorial Stadium was in really bad shape.

I was stationed at Aberdeen Proving Grounds for AIT for the Army. in 1973. 

I went to a couple of games and I have nothing to say but it was trashy and dirty. 

The two games I went to were the Bills (loss) and the Dolphins (win). 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He is the king whoever was driving that semi, I seen that Gif and couldn't stop laughing. That takes skills.

I think the trailer had to be empty. It wouldn't have made that maneuver had it had any substantial weight in it. 

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You have to admit though that is still awesome skills and it took balls doing that lmao 

It looks like he was forced to make that move.   The suv in front of him was slowing down to fast.      He certainly didn't want to make that move in traffic

• Like 1
1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think the trailer had to be empty. It wouldn't have made that maneuver had it had any substantial weight in it. 

It looks like a trick video. :) 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, #12. said:

Yeah, it's ancient history.  The Colts have been in Indianapolis longer than they were in Baltimore.  People 45 and under have no memory of the Baltimore Colts.  

They most certainly do. They would be 8 or 9 when the move happened.

17 hours ago, #12. said:

I am 39 and know the Baltimore Colts history very well just because they were the Colts.  If you mean no memory of the team playing in Baltimore I think that age is closer to 40 that don’t remember the Colts playing there.  However, the history of the Baltimore Colts hasn’t been forgotten it’s celebrated, as it should be, by both the Colts and the city of Baltimore.  

• Like 1

I’ve been a Colts fan since the Sixties and believe a 1000% the move was justified and absolutely had to go down like it did. I was born in Indiana, though, so I’m sure it was easier for me than some others. It still makes me laugh that when we play Baltimore in their house they won’t put “Colts” or even “Indianapolis” on the scoreboard... just “Visitors”. Lol: let it go.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I was hoping you'd give a professional opinion on that driving.  So impressive even with an empty trailer.

• Like 1