Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rick Venturi-jmv

Restinpeacesweetchloe

The best college team of a certain year could not beat the worse the pro team in a certain year. If there was one 1 team that could do it, it would've been 1995 Nebraska. They won by an average of 38 points a game and beat every team by at least 10 points or more. Their Offensive Line was as big as most pro teams, their running game was unstoppable, Tommie Frazier was accurate throwing to his TE's, and their team speed on Defense was relentless. They beat Florida 60-22 in the Title Game that year. They were better than any Alabama team.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Nah, not by Jax. 

Bama has 5 to 6 guys going in the 1st, and their O would give Jax fits. Perhaps 3-4 additional in the 2nd, or 2nd and 3rd. Bama's OL is an assembly line for NFL talent. 2 WRs and a RB that will likely be starting day 1 in 2021. Baremore, Surtain, and Moses will likely be day one starters on D too.  And Bama's coaching is/was considerably better than Jax's.

The size, strength and experience of grown men over youngsters would be overwhelming.    The NFL team would absolutely own the trenches.   It wouldn't be close

20 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Nah, not by Jax. 

Bama has 5 to 6 guys going in the 1st, and their O would give Jax fits. Perhaps 3-4 additional in the 2nd, or 2nd and 3rd. Bama's OL is an assembly line for NFL talent. 2 WRs and a RB that will likely be starting day 1 in 2021. Baremore, Surtain, and Moses will likely be day one starters on D too.  And Bama's coaching is/was considerably better than Jax's.

it would be like dropping someone in 5th grade mathematic into a calculus course.

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The size, strength and experience of grown men over youngsters would be overwhelming.    The NFL team would absolutely own the trenches.   It wouldn't be close

Bama is full of grown men. They are simply not the typical college program. 

Their OL has Leatherwood, Dickerson, and Brown, all who could be starting NFL OLs this year. 

Their DL has Baremore (day one starter) and Mathis (either starter or early rotation). Add in Moses who is an integral part of their pass rush and is a beast of a LB who will start day one... 

Not saying Bama would kill Jax or anything, but Jax isn't blowing them out. Jax's rush D is horrible. Bama would have success on the ground and in the air.

Just now, EastStreet said:

Their OL has Leatherwood, Dickerson, and Brown, all who could be starting NFL OLs this year. 

Their DL has Baremore (day one starter) and Mathis (either starter or early rotation). Add in Moses who is an integral part of their pass rush and is a beast of a LB who will start day one... 

Not saying Bama would kill Jax or anything, but Jax isn't blowing them out. Jax's rush D is horrible. Bama would have success on the ground and in the air.

You forgot to mention the great Mac Jones 

creepy parks and recreation GIF

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

You seriously think a college program can perform against an NFL defense? 

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

The 95 Huskers would take out this years Bama team and I would say probably by 10 or so points.

2 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

it would be like dropping someone in 5th grade mathematic into a calculus course.

I was doing calc in the 5th grade. I had finished every advanced math course my HS had to offer my JR year. Bama is that kind of student.

8 of their players will be drafted and likely day one or early starters in 21. That's over a 1/3 of their starters, and only one class.

Just now, EastStreet said:

I was doing calc in the 5th grade. I had finished every advanced math course my HS had to offer my JR year. Bama is that kind of student.

8 of their players will be drafted and likely day one or early starters in 21. That's over a 1/3 of their starters, and only one class.

You do know its kind of laughed at by people in the NFL that the idea of a college team beating an NFL team comes up as often as it does, because its just that ridiculous. Im sure you like me and many others watch shows outside of mainstream media and have heard it come out players and gm's mouth . Its not a thing

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The 95 Huskers would take out this years Bama team and I would say probably by 10 or so points.

I remember one time when I was in 3rd grade the teacher was going over all the states and she asked if anybody knew what the cornhusker state was and I said Nebraska. 

Everybody turned around shocked and I was even shocked. Football and my passion for sports helped me answer a question. 

3 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

You seriously think a college program can perform against an NFL defense? 

Like I said, Bama is not the typical college program. And certainly doesn't have typical players or coaches. They cycle in HCs, OCs, DCs, as assistants and analysts every year. Bill O'B will be their OC next year lol. Every year they have 5ish or more kids go first round and are early starters.

And the chosen opponent (Jax) is just horrible in so many ways.  So you're pitting 2 extremes against each other. Against any other NFL team I'd agree. Or any other college program. But if you pick Bama, and Jax, I think it would be closer than you'd think.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Way to go Sheldon Cooper 

young sheldon GIF by CBS

1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

You do know its kind of laughed at by people in the NFL that the idea of a college team beating an NFL team comes up as often as it does, because its just that ridiculous. Im sure you like me and many others watch shows outside of mainstream media and have heard it come out players and gm's mouth . Its not a thing

I'd say in general it is ridiculous. Bama vs Jax, not so much.

Just now, danlhart87 said:

I remember one time when I was in 3rd grade the teacher was going over all the states and she asked if anybody knew what the cornhusker state was and I said Nebraska. 

Everybody turned around shocked and I was even shocked. Football and my passion for sports helped me answer a question. 

Yeah their 1995 team is the best I have ever seen, this years Bama team may be 2nd though. The 1987 Miami Hurricanes and Clemson the year they won it with Watson would make a hell of a Final 4 for college football.

Just now, danlhart87 said:

Way to go Sheldon Cooper 

young sheldon GIF by CBS

Only if Sheldon Cooper was parting too much and totally lost interest in going to class when he got to college lol... At least freshman year... I was very smart, but lacked a lot a sense as a young pup. Girls and beer were way too important to me.

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

nah. 95 was a very very down year for college FB. 

Big 8 was Charmin soft (that year, Kansas, Kansas State, and CO were Nebraska's comp lol.... , and Huskers beat an overrated FL team to win it all. They were definitely a good team, but Bama would beat them easily.

nah. 95 was a very very down year for college FB. 

Big 8 was Charmin soft (that year, Kansas, Kansas State, and CO were Nebraska's comp lol.... , and Huskers beat an overrated FL team to win it all. They were definitely a good team, but Bama would beat them easily.

Nebraska was like Mike Tyson that year, every game was over by half time :thmup:

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nebraska was like Mike Tyson that year, every game was over by half time :thmup:

When you're playing Kansas, Kansas State, Colorado.... yup.... 

Like I said, very down year. for CFB. Things got back to normal in 96. 

Loved Osborne though. It's a different game now. 

When you're playing Kansas, Kansas State, Colorado.... yup.... 

Like I said, very down year. for CFB. Things got back to normal in 96. 

Loved Osborne though. It's a different game now. 

I still think that 1995 team would beat Bama, they were so far ahead of their time. We will never know but it is a fun stuff to talk about.

26 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Only if Sheldon Cooper was parting too much and totally lost interest in going to class when he got to college lol... At least freshman year... I was very smart, but lacked a lot a sense as a young pup. Girls and beer were way too important to me.

Girls and Sports keep every man sane

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I still think that 1995 team would beat Bama, they were so far ahead of their time. We will never know but it is a fun stuff to talk about.

look at the weights and measurements, not to mention the combine results, and compare players these days to back then. 

players today are just developed so much earlier, and better. football back then was so much more pure as far as amateurism is concerned. these days kids work out with NFL trainers in the summer at both the HS and college level. 

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I agree with most, just not on TY. He did get open some deep, but he also didn't get open deep at times. Most of his open moments were on busted coverage, or against man vs not so great CBs. He's still fast in general (wouldn't doubt if he's high 4.4s) and that's plenty to get "open", but he just doesn't have the size. He didn't need the size when he was 4.3s or low 4.4s. 

And not sure why he doesn't think TY can be a slot. He's got plenty of speed left for the slot position, and his route running would create great mismatches vs LBs and SSs. 

On Rodgers, I think he's a bit overly optimistic. I love his speed and athleticism, but his size is a real limitation. He'd do fine vs smaller WRs that aren't physical, but a big and/or physical WR would give him fits in a big way. IMO he needs to work on his body in the offseason. Depending on the team, or WR unit were playing, sure, but the wrong matchup would be scary. I do like him better as a CB than Moore (when he's moved from NB to CB). 

So you don’t really agree with most?

7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Like I said, Bama is not the typical college program. And certainly doesn't have typical players or coaches. They cycle in HCs, OCs, DCs, as assistants and analysts every year. Bill O'B will be their OC next year lol. Every year they have 5ish or more kids go first round and are early starters.

And the chosen opponent (Jax) is just horrible in so many ways.  So you're pitting 2 extremes against each other. Against any other NFL team I'd agree. Or any other college program. But if you pick Bama, and Jax, I think it would be closer than you'd think.

That horrible Jags team beat the Colts once and gave them a run the second time

10 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

You make no sense. Big he's a generational guard, why make him just another LT?  And who says moving from G to T is easier than switching sides as a tackle?  Have you played OL at all?  Not to mention every individual, and every situation, is unique....

Sorry, Venturi is relatable and seems like a good guy, but the fact that he speaks like a relatable, knowledgeable fan makes many blindly run with what is often pure opinion.....

Hard to envision Q being just another anything, he played Left Tackle not Guard growing up only changed because Notre Dame needed him more at Guard, it is his original position he would be going back to not an experiment to a new spot at all. LT need long reach then RT, Q has a much longer reach than Smith does (Why it has been stated several times Smith may struggle with the move). If Q becomes a top 2-3 LT in the league we are set for a decade there.

11 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

The only problem is this. U r paying at least a 1st rounder for Matt. They will probably want the Colts second and maybe more. Colts r kind of at the mercy of teams as they only have Eason under contract

They will most definitely want more but it doesnt have to be 2021 draft capital, could well be 2022 second or third/fourth and I would believe Colts would press for future not current picks beyond first.

14 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Nelson can excel and be top 3 any spot along the line, you put him at LT your best player at the most important spot and his natural spot where he grew up playing (All American LT in high school). Smith's arms arent long enough to play LT. Smith could shift to LG and combine a super duo with nelson that teams would find almost impossible to penetrate.  You could then start Will Holden at RT and have Pinter backing up all interior along with Sam Jones.  If J.V. wants to come back he could play RT as well.

We then can trade first rounder for Stafford, draft pass rusher and shut down corner with 54 and 85 overall. 118 draft O line depth and you havent broken the bank with free agent signings (I hope Rhodes returns but have no faith in Rock as a corner and Rodgers is perfect size for nickle but barring injury Moore isnt being moved anywhere, though Tell may be going back to Safety).

Smith to LG is brilliant!!  The defenses would have to overload and this would create lots of opportinities.

15 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I agree with most, just not on TY. He did get open some deep, but he also didn't get open deep at times. Most of his open moments were on busted coverage, or against man vs not so great CBs. He's still fast in general (wouldn't doubt if he's high 4.4s) and that's plenty to get "open", but he just doesn't have the size. He didn't need the size when he was 4.3s or low 4.4s. 

And not sure why he doesn't think TY can be a slot. He's got plenty of speed left for the slot position, and his route running would create great mismatches vs LBs and SSs. 

On Rodgers, I think he's a bit overly optimistic. I love his speed and athleticism, but his size is a real limitation. He'd do fine vs smaller WRs that aren't physical, but a big and/or physical WR would give him fits in a big way. IMO he needs to work on his body in the offseason. Depending on the team, or WR unit were playing, sure, but the wrong matchup would be scary. I do like him better as a CB than Moore (when he's moved from NB to CB). 

Definitely agree that TY has lost a step.  And he was usually protected in the slot from dealing with man coverage.  Without it, and since his injury, he's not the same player.

17 hours ago, chad72 said:

I would try Braden Smith at LT before trying Nelson at LT. We could definitely get a right tackle in Round 2 or Round 3, one of those picks that we are bound to keep. 

Ideally, getting an LT/RT or pass rusher in free agency frees up draft capital, so one of them in free agency is a must, IMO. 

For what its worth...I believe it was Reitz (with Venturi on the Colts podcast) who said swapping from the right to left side of the line is much harder than swapping from LG to LT because your hands and feet are swapped vs what you're accustomed to. Nelson would have a much easier transition than Smith.

This is going to be a volatile off season. So many needs to be addressed at QB, CB Edge, LB, WR and ofcourse OT

If we use #21 on Stafford Ballard cant afford to miss on picks 1-5. That is a lot to ask but we need a lot 

it going to be hard to resign Rhodes I believe he will carry a high prices that Ballard wants not part of.

Autry and Houston on 2 year deals Draft another linebacker and edge rusher. Sign a solid receiver and lets not do the sign one and he doesnt work out. We have seen that too many times.

I respect Venturi but I thinks he’s more of a reminder that anyone who has worked in the NFL knows way more than the most knowledgeable person here than he is a great NFL mind.  Clearly his opinion on personal carries more weight than us here but he won three games in his career as a head coach.  I don’t think he’s the best judge of personal out there.  So I’d avoid saying well Venturi thinks we have to keep this person we must and Ballard is an * if he doesn’t!

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I respect Venturi but I thinks he’s more of a reminder that anyone who has worked in the NFL knows way more than the most knowledgeable person here than he is a great NFL mind.  Clearly his opinion on personal carries more weight than us here but he won three games in his career as a head coach.  I don’t think he’s the best judge of personal out there.  So I’d avoid saying well Venturi thinks we have to keep this person we must and Ballard is an * if he doesn’t!

Venturi certainty knows more than us.    Not more than those in the locker room though

Archived