Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He is on JMV today. Some interesting thoughts    He thinks if they get Stafford TY will be back. He believes TY value goes back up. He doesn’t believe TY is a slot guy and doesn’t think he l

Jets or Jags would annihilate Alabama 

The size, strength and experience of grown men over youngsters would be overwhelming.    The NFL team would absolutely own the trenches.   It wouldn't be close

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He is on JMV today. Some interesting thoughts 

 

He thinks if they get Stafford TY will be back. He believes TY value goes back up. He doesn’t believe TY is a slot guy and doesn’t think he lost a step. Believes  Hilton was getting deep and was just waiting for rivers to throw but that isn’t rivers game.

 

As far as LT Nelson is a ace in the hole. If he can play LT it allows you to use that 21st pick on Stafford. Then instead of spending for a LT in FA we can use that money in CB, edge, or WR.

 

Need to bring Rhodes back. Can’t let him out of the building. Believes Rogers can be a future starting CB. Believes because of Rogers  speed he recovers well. 

 

Need to bring Houston and Autry back. Those four players he believes are must signs. Hilton, Rhodes, Autry, Houston.

 

 

 

I would try Braden Smith at LT before trying Nelson at LT. We could definitely get a right tackle in Round 2 or Round 3, one of those picks that we are bound to keep. 

 

Ideally, getting an LT/RT or pass rusher in free agency frees up draft capital, so one of them in free agency is a must, IMO. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He is on JMV today. Some interesting thoughts 

 

He thinks if they get Stafford TY will be back. He believes TY value goes back up. He doesn’t believe TY is a slot guy and doesn’t think he lost a step. Believes  Hilton was getting deep and was just waiting for rivers to throw but that isn’t rivers game.

 

As far as LT Nelson is a ace in the hole. If he can play LT it allows you to use that 21st pick on Stafford. Then instead of spending for a LT in FA we can use that money in CB, edge, or WR.

 

Need to bring Rhodes back. Can’t let him out of the building. Believes Rogers can be a future starting CB. Believes because of Rogers  speed he recovers well. 

 

Need to bring Houston and Autry back. Those four players he believes are must signs. Hilton, Rhodes, Autry, Houston.

 

 

Yeah, I love to listen Rick Venturi he's intelligent and knows what he's talking about unlike most guys who are self proclaimed experts in this area. I agree with him on everything except I think we need a young pass rusher instead bringing back Houston who had a okay year at DE. But to me okay year isn't good enough. But I haven't given up on Lewis just yet if he comes into camp next season fully healthy then maybe we could see his full potential then make a true evaluation.  IMHO

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chad72 said:

 

I would try Braden Smith at LT before trying Nelson at LT. We could definitely get a right tackle in Round 2 or Round 3, one of those picks that we are bound to keep. 

I am not moving him to the other side. Much easier for Nelson to move over one spot. He mentioned If Nelson is a generational guard he should be able to do it. Id he can’t then he is just a guard.

 

Also mentioned he would trade Okereke if the Lions asked. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, superrep1967 said:

Yeah, I love to listen Rick Venturi he's intelligent and knows what he's talking about unlike most guys who are self proclaimed experts in this area. I agree with him on everything except I think we need a young pass rusher instead bringing back Houston who had a okay year at DE. But to me okay year isn't good enough. But I haven't given up on Lewis just yet if he comes into camp next season fully healthy then maybe we could see his full potential then make a true evaluation.  IMHO

The problem is young pass rushers are very expensive and there aren’t many out there. Lewis could eventually be good in that spot.  But I think we need one more year to see.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He is on JMV today. Some interesting thoughts 

 

He thinks if they get Stafford TY will be back. He believes TY value goes back up. He doesn’t believe TY is a slot guy and doesn’t think he lost a step. Believes  Hilton was getting deep and was just waiting for rivers to throw but that isn’t rivers game.

 

As far as LT Nelson is a ace in the hole. If he can play LT it allows you to use that 21st pick on Stafford. Then instead of spending for a LT in FA we can use that money in CB, edge, or WR.

 

Need to bring Rhodes back. Can’t let him out of the building. Believes Rogers can be a future starting CB. Believes because of Rogers  speed he recovers well. 

 

Need to bring Houston and Autry back. Those four players he believes are must signs. Hilton, Rhodes, Autry, Houston.

 

 

Much appreciated.  I couldnt listen today

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He is on JMV today. Some interesting thoughts 

 

He thinks if they get Stafford TY will be back. He believes TY value goes back up. He doesn’t believe TY is a slot guy and doesn’t think he lost a step. Believes  Hilton was getting deep and was just waiting for rivers to throw but that isn’t rivers game.

 

As far as LT Nelson is a ace in the hole. If he can play LT it allows you to use that 21st pick on Stafford. Then instead of spending for a LT in FA we can use that money in CB, edge, or WR.

 

Need to bring Rhodes back. Can’t let him out of the building. Believes Rogers can be a future starting CB. Believes because of Rogers  speed he recovers well. 

 

Need to bring Houston and Autry back. Those four players he believes are must signs. Hilton, Rhodes, Autry, Houston.

 

 

Totally agree on everything except Nelson.

 

TY is a guy who needs to get separation to be effective.  Which means he requires routes that are further downfield.  I think that's one of the reasons why he didn't work that well with JB.  JB was allergic to throwing downfield.  Thus, not much TY.

 

Yes, I think Nelson could be good at LT.  I think Nelson could be good at anything.  He could probably play punter if he set his mind to it.  But his best position is at LG.  Put the aces in their places.  If he needs to play LT, he could.  But I wouldn't design my roster around it.

 

Totally need to bring back Rhodes, Autry, and Houston along with TY.  Rhodes, because RYS hasn't fully developed, and we can't simply have Rogers and Tell as the starting CB's until they've proven they're better than the starters we already have.  Autry and Houston because not only can they still rush the passer, they can function as 1st down run defenders.  The next guys up have yet to prove that.  We still need that in our defensive line.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Venturi also said once upon a time that Alabama could beat an Nfl team lol

Once upon a time Alabama could. Could still probably give Jacksonville or the Jets a run for their money. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Hard to argue with that.

I guess Nelson would be an insurance policy for LT.  Would be nice to keep him at guard tho.  Maybe we can find a vet, or Nelson can buy us some time at LT.

This is what I am thinking too. Just a ace in the hole. Maybe a year at tackle until you can draft. Or insurance that a person you draft second round or later isn’t very good. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He is on JMV today. Some interesting thoughts 

 

He thinks if they get Stafford TY will be back. He believes TY value goes back up. He doesn’t believe TY is a slot guy and doesn’t think he lost a step. Believes  Hilton was getting deep and was just waiting for rivers to throw but that isn’t rivers game.

 

As far as LT Nelson is a ace in the hole. If he can play LT it allows you to use that 21st pick on Stafford. Then instead of spending for a LT in FA we can use that money in CB, edge, or WR.

 

Need to bring Rhodes back. Can’t let him out of the building. Believes Rogers can be a future starting CB. Believes because of Rogers  speed he recovers well. 

 

Need to bring Houston and Autry back. Those four players he believes are must signs. Hilton, Rhodes, Autry, Houston.

 

 

Agreed

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Hard to argue with that.

I guess Nelson would be an insurance policy for LT.  Would be nice to keep him at guard tho.  Maybe we can find a vet, or Nelson can buy us some time at LT.

Agreed. I would also have an easier time paying huge money as a LT than at the guard position.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is what I am thinking too. Just a ace in the hole. Maybe a year at tackle until you can draft. Or insurance that a person you draft second round or later isn’t very good. 

 

Put Nelson at left tackle for the first 6 games while Jared Veldheer is on PUP since he does not like to play a full season anyways :) and then let him come back. #JustKidding :) 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Let’s put it this way with Nelson. Let’s say there is a edge rusher in FA you really want. Putting Nelson at left tackle allows us to go get the edge in FA. Instead of a  of paying someone at LT in FA. We may still draft s tackle but Nelson there as Insurance allows them to go after that edge in FA instead of a tackle.  Then the LT you draft does good you keep Nelson at guard. If he isn’t ready yet putting Nelson at tackle for a year will work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

He is on JMV today. Some interesting thoughts 

 

He thinks if they get Stafford TY will be back. He believes TY value goes back up. He doesn’t believe TY is a slot guy and doesn’t think he lost a step. Believes  Hilton was getting deep and was just waiting for rivers to throw but that isn’t rivers game.

 

As far as LT Nelson is a ace in the hole. If he can play LT it allows you to use that 21st pick on Stafford. Then instead of spending for a LT in FA we can use that money in CB, edge, or WR.

 

Need to bring Rhodes back. Can’t let him out of the building. Believes Rogers can be a future starting CB. Believes because of Rogers  speed he recovers well. 

 

Need to bring Houston and Autry back. Those four players he believes are must signs. Hilton, Rhodes, Autry, Houston.

 

 

Everything he said here makes sense.  Especially about Nelson.  Let one of our younger guards take Q's place or sign a vet like we did with Glowinski.  Bringing Veldeer back would be a smart move as well.  You could also draft a tackle and see if he can take the spot from Q.  Q is our ace in the hole at tackle.  If I'm Q I would want the chance at the spot.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had the same thoughts about TY.

 

I'm not moving Nelson.  With Stafford, you can get by with a somewhat lesser LT, especially initially.  Stafford can move, you can move the pocket, etc.  Draft the best LT you can get your hands on.  Coach him up.  Gameplan to give him help and to make things easier on him.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with most, just not on TY. He did get open some deep, but he also didn't get open deep at times. Most of his open moments were on busted coverage, or against man vs not so great CBs. He's still fast in general (wouldn't doubt if he's high 4.4s) and that's plenty to get "open", but he just doesn't have the size. He didn't need the size when he was 4.3s or low 4.4s. 

 

And not sure why he doesn't think TY can be a slot. He's got plenty of speed left for the slot position, and his route running would create great mismatches vs LBs and SSs. 

 

On Rodgers, I think he's a bit overly optimistic. I love his speed and athleticism, but his size is a real limitation. He'd do fine vs smaller WRs that aren't physical, but a big and/or physical WR would give him fits in a big way. IMO he needs to work on his body in the offseason. Depending on the team, or WR unit were playing, sure, but the wrong matchup would be scary. I do like him better as a CB than Moore (when he's moved from NB to CB). 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Everything he said here makes sense.  Especially about Nelson.  Let one of our younger guards take Q's place or sign a vet like we did with Glowinski.  Bringing Veldeer back would be a smart move as well.  You could also draft a tackle and see if he can take the spot from Q.  Q is our ace in the hole at tackle.  If I'm Q I would want the chance at the spot.

Yeah just gives us lots of freedom  on what we do in FA and the draft. It doesn’t tie our hands.  I am sure they would rather have a second round tackle be able to start right away and keep Nelson at guard. But if one isn’t there you like or a better corner or edge is there you have the freedom. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

This class is too good and deep at LT to not draft one. Leave Nelson at LG where he dominates. 

I am thinking they take one in 2nd round. Perhaps Radunz or Eichenberg 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

This class is too good and deep at LT to not draft one. Leave Nelson at LG where he dominates. 

It is but we really don't know where we will drafting after the trade.   Just because we draft one doesn't mean he will be good enough to start.  Look at Clark.  I think he was a 3rd rounder.  Protecting Stafford's blind side is going to be really important.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

It is but we really don't know where we will drafting after the trade.   Just because we draft one doesn't mean he will be good enough to start.  Look at Clark.  I think he was a 3rd rounder.  Protecting Stafford's blind side is going to be really important.  

What trade? It’s all speculation at this point

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The great thing is this:  Nelson is a stud and provides the Colts with flexibility to use him in a manner that provides them with the means to draft/sign players elsewhere.  If we need him at LT, he can do it.  If we get lucky and a LT falls into our laps at the same time we are able to sign Stafford or another top tier QB, that occurs because you don't have to waste $ by using Nelson where we "need" him to be.  Again, he provides the Colts with flexibility to use him as needed and bring in the pieces around him.  Nelson is not only a generational G, he is a generational "player."  

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nelson can excel and be top 3 any spot along the line, you put him at LT your best player at the most important spot and his natural spot where he grew up playing (All American LT in high school). Smith's arms arent long enough to play LT. Smith could shift to LG and combine a super duo with nelson that teams would find almost impossible to penetrate.  You could then start Will Holden at RT and have Pinter backing up all interior along with Sam Jones.  If J.V. wants to come back he could play RT as well.

 

We then can trade first rounder for Stafford, draft pass rusher and shut down corner with 54 and 85 overall. 118 draft O line depth and you havent broken the bank with free agent signings (I hope Rhodes returns but have no faith in Rock as a corner and Rodgers is perfect size for nickle but barring injury Moore isnt being moved anywhere, though Tell may be going back to Safety).

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Nelson can excel and be top 3 any spot along the line, you put him at LT your best player at the most important spot and his natural spot where he grew up playing (All American LT in high school). Smith's arms arent long enough to play LT. Smith could shift to LG and combine a super duo with nelson that teams would find almost impossible to penetrate.  You could then start Will Holden at RT and have Pinter backing up all interior along with Sam Jones.  If J.V. wants to come back he could play RT as well.

 

We then can trade first rounder for Stafford, draft pass rusher and shut down corner with 54 and 85 overall. 118 draft O line depth and you havent broken the bank with free agent signings (I hope Rhodes returns but have no faith in Rock as a corner and Rodgers is perfect size for nickle but barring injury Moore isnt being moved anywhere, though Tell may be going back to Safety).

 

  There are only a handful of legit shutdown CBs in the NFL. And you're going to grab 

  one at #85 ?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The trick here is that there is only so much money in the pot. Lets say the Colts can get Stafford for #21 and a future pick. They still need O line depth; DE; WR; TE; CB. With no number one pick and lots of needs, why wouldn't you give Nelson a shot at LT? You're going to have to pay him about the same money anyway...... maybe Pinter can slot into the LG position? That's a majorly less expensive idea than having to shell out for a top notch LT in free agency and also pay Nelson. Because the LT spot likely won't get solved immediately by a Day 2 pick. You'll have to have a quality LT to compete. 

 

Point being: Moving Nelson to LT while making the trade for Stafford gives the Colts the financial flexibility to effectively fill in the holes elsewhere. Like, a free agent WR; a free agent CB; a free agent DE. All are critical needs. The Colts are in a tough spot; getting Stafford in a trade and using Nelson at LT opens up a ton of options that wouldn't be available otherwise. Its the best outcome. I pray it happens. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, indykmj said:

 

  There are only a handful of legit shutdown CBs in the NFL. And you're going to grab 

  one at #85 ?

True.  You will probably not draft a legit shutdown corner at #85.  However, our options on getting one of those are slim.  Alabama's Patrick Surtain II will probably not fall to #21.  And if we spend #21 to trade for the Saints' Marshon Lattimore, we won't be able to trade for Stafford, if that's the direction we're going.

 

We might, however, be able to draft South Carolina's Israel Mukuamu in the 3rd round.  He has the size that CB likes, he's been productive at getting INT's, and he has the ability to play CB in this type of defense.  Is he a legit shutdown corner?  Not really.  But he can be an effective corner in this defense.

At least, that's what I think.  We'll have to see how it all shakes out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Jets or Jags would annihilate Alabama 


Probably.

 

It’s not very often — in team sports, anyway — you get a chance to see pros versus amateurs.

 

But one example that comes to mind are some scrimmages that Bob Knight arranged for the 1984 Olympic team against teams of NBA players.

 

In at least one of the games, because of a small roster, players couldn’t foul out.  I believe Bird, McHale, and Parish all played in that one and it reportedly got very, very physical.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to see if Stafford could convince Golladay to take a discount. Like 14 mil. Crazy I know, but that's two tall weapons in the red zone in Golladay and Pittman

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Nelson can excel and be top 3 any spot along the line, you put him at LT your best player at the most important spot and his natural spot where he grew up playing (All American LT in high school). Smith's arms arent long enough to play LT. Smith could shift to LG and combine a super duo with nelson that teams would find almost impossible to penetrate.  You could then start Will Holden at RT and have Pinter backing up all interior along with Sam Jones.  If J.V. wants to come back he could play RT as well.

 

We then can trade first rounder for Stafford, draft pass rusher and shut down corner with 54 and 85 overall. 118 draft O line depth and you havent broken the bank with free agent signings (I hope Rhodes returns but have no faith in Rock as a corner and Rodgers is perfect size for nickle but barring injury Moore isnt being moved anywhere, though Tell may be going back to Safety).

The only problem is this. U r paying at least a 1st rounder for Matt. They will probably want the Colts second and maybe more. Colts r kind of at the mercy of teams as they only have Eason under contract

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I am not moving him to the other side. Much easier for Nelson to move over one spot. He mentioned If Nelson is a generational guard he should be able to do it. Id he can’t then he is just a guard.

 

Also mentioned he would trade Okereke if the Lions asked. 

You make no sense. Big he's a generational guard, why make him just another LT?  And who says moving from G to T is easier than switching sides as a tackle?  Have you played OL at all?  Not to mention every individual, and every situation, is unique....

 

Sorry, Venturi is relatable and seems like a good guy, but the fact that he speaks like a relatable, knowledgeable fan makes many blindly run with what is often pure opinion.....

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

Once upon a time Alabama could. Could still probably give Jacksonville or the Jets a run for their money. 

Nope.   Bama would get man handled and blown out

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

The only problem is this. U r paying at least a 1st rounder for Matt. They will probably want the Colts second and maybe more. Colts r kind of at the mercy of teams as they only have Eason under contract

realistically I think it would cost the Colts something like #21 and #85, or #21 and 2nd rounder in 2022, to get Stafford--especially if Lynch decides to go after him too

 

does Villanueva have anything left? If so, he might come cheap (at least compared to Trent Williams). Is Cam Robinson worth consideration?

 

I agree that there will still be promising tackles left in Round Two, but I expect they'll be primarily right tackles.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

You make no sense. Big he's a generational guard, why make him just another LT?  And who says moving from G to T is easier than switching sides as a tackle?  Have you played OL at all?  Not to mention every individual, and every situation, is unique....

 

Sorry, Venturi is relatable and seems like a good guy, but the fact that he speaks like a relatable, knowledgeable fan makes many blindly run with what is often pure opinion.....

 

 

 

So you're saying Q would be just another LT? He is an exceptional OLman and I think he could be a very good LT. Have you not seen him come off his man and peel back to pick up an outside rusher a number of times in the last three years? He moves very well laterally which is very necessary for a tackle to beat the outside rusher and there are not many DLman that will bull rush him especially DEs. Once he gets his hands on a guy he wins over 90% of the time.

I mentioned this in prior posts that it is a lot easier to find an adequate LG than LT and the LG would have Q on is left shoulder and Kelly on his right shoulder. We picked up Glowinski for a prayer and he turned out quite OK. It would also allow us to work on some other weak areas like CB, DE, and TE.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Nope.   Bama would get man handled and blown out

Nah, not by Jax. 

 

Bama has 5 to 6 guys going in the 1st, and their O would give Jax fits. Perhaps 3-4 additional in the 2nd, or 2nd and 3rd. Bama's OL is an assembly line for NFL talent. 2 WRs and a RB that will likely be starting day 1 in 2021. Baremore, Surtain, and Moses will likely be day one starters on D too.  And Bama's coaching is/was considerably better than Jax's.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...