Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Aaron Rodgers could become available/Rodgers in Indy (Merge)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ColtV said:

My first reaction to that quote is that he's contemplating retirement. At 37, completed 16 seasons and 216 total games played, he's earned it. 

I think he will definitely use that as leverage if he truly still mad about the Love selection.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Rodgers would become my number 1 option.

Rodgers

Stafford

Darnold

I obviously don't think Watson is an option

Rodgers would probably be just about everybody's #1 option, especially franchises that think they're only "an elite QB" away from the Super Bowl. But he'd come at a fairly hefty price, probably more than Stafford, even at Rodgers' older age.

maybe the prospect of his off-season availability could cause the 49ers to cool off on Stafford? ditto the Steelers?

1 minute ago, poilucelt said:

Rodgers would probably be just about everybody's #1 option, especially franchises that think they're only "an elite QB" away from the Super Bowl. But he'd come at a fairly hefty price, probably more than Stafford, even at Rodgers' older age.

maybe the prospect of his off-season availability could cause the 49ers to cool off on Stafford? ditto the Steelers?

Steelers don't have the money, but I could definitely see the 49ers making sense and Rodgers wanting to go back home.

Can pretty much rule Saints and Steelers out. Especially the Saints. I would have to delve deeper into Steelers like I have the Saints and Eagles but I know they are in the 3rd worst cap situation by $.

Just now, w87r said:

Steelers don't have the money, but I could definitely see the 49ers making sense and Rodgers wanting to go back home.

Can pretty much rule Saints and Steelers out. Especially the Saints. I would have to delve deeper into Steelers like I have the Saints and Eagles but I know they are in the 3rd worst cap situation by $.

given the Steelers history of relatively good, consistent front office management, it's a bit surprising to see them get caught with their pants down, so to speak, when it comes to both the cap situation and the QB situation

2 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

given the Steelers history of relatively good, consistent front office management, it's a bit surprising to see them get caught with their pants down, so to speak, when it comes to both the cap situation and the QB situation

I was going to run through their situation but never got around to it.

Think Im going to hop on that.

Big Ben might still play, but Pouncey is rumored to be retiring.

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I would rather trade for Love. Rodgers is solid but has 2 to 3 years tops left.

don't think it's Love the Packers intend to part company with--otherwise they wouldn't have moved up in the draft to get him

looks like Aaron may be about to get the "Brett Favre Memorial Retirement coffee mug" on the way out the door in Title Town.

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

As much as I would love Rodgers, that's seems very vague. Packers would be stupid to move Rodgers after back to back NFC championship games.

I think Love would ultimately be the better move. Its  a big risk with potential a very high reward. Give up 21 for him.

7 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I think Love would ultimately be the better move. Its  a big risk with potential a very high reward. Give up 21 for him.

I don't know. I was never a big fan of Love during the draft process and I can't see the Packers willing to move him after one season.

50 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

I updated my thread in NFL gen.

Seems Pitt can get to about $22m on cap space, perhaps a litte more, but not enough to bring in a guy with $20m cap.

Of course could be higher depending where cap comes in at. This is based on the $175m number. Even at $180m they couldn't afford big deal on QB.

I would rather have Stafford thank you.  Rogers is a prima donna that thinks only about himself.  He got bent just because they decided to draft an eventual replacement in Love.  Can you imagine the nerve of them?  Expect the same reaction wherever he goes. Too much drama. Ballard said our team will never be about one player.  Good luck with that with Rogers as our QB.    I'll take Stafford he's 5 years younger too.  San Fran and NE and the rest of them can have at it.  Please Ballard get the Stafford deal done asap so we can plan our subsequent moves for the off season.  Thank you very much. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I would rather have Stafford thank you.  Rogers is a prima donna that thinks only about himself.  He got bent just because they decided to draft an eventual replacement in Love.  Can you imagine the nerve of them?  Expect the same reaction wherever he goes. Too much drama. Ballard said our team will never be about one player.  Good luck with that with Rogers as our QB.    I'll take Stafford he's 5 years younger too.  San Fran and NE and the rest of them can have at it.  Please Ballard get the Stafford deal done asap so we can plan our subsequent moves for the off season.  Thank you very much. 

from a purely competitive standpoint I'd be thrilled with either one behind Kelly, w/ Nelson, Smith et al protecting him so he can hand off to Taylor or throw to Pittman, Pascal, hopefully Campbell, etc

from a personality standpoint, I think Stafford might fit Indy better than Rodgers, who seems to me more of a West Coast type of guy--and, yes, probably more expensive to boot

10 minutes ago, Arodgers12 said:

I think you guys are going to get Arod next fall. I think he leaves us which I can’t blame him.

Na, I doubt it. 

Colts aren't usually the destination of High profile players/coaches. We'll be lucky to get Stafford lol. 

I'm sorry your team lost today. 

A long but looking like a interesting off season.

By restructuring his contract for salary cap purposes at the end of 2019 season, $14.26 million of Rodgers' 2020 $21.55 million salary was converted into a signing bonus and prorated over his 2019-2023 contract years.

Rodgers' $33.05 million 2020 cap number dropped to $21.642 million. His 2021 through 2023 salary cap numbers each increased by $2.852 million in the restructure.

Accordingly, Rodgers has the NFL's third-highest 2021 cap number at $36.352 million.

If the Packers trade him before Rodgers' $6.8 million roster bonus becomes due, it would leave the Packers with a $31.556 million cap charge in 2021 from the remaining proration of his $57.5 million signing bonus and the $14.26 million converted into signing bonus during last December's contract restructure.

In sum, not only would the Packers be trading away the likely MVP, they would also be laeving themselves with $31.5 million in dead money for 2021.

That would be pretty, pretty bad for the Packers.

17 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Na, I doubt it. 

Colts aren't usually the destination of High profile players/coaches. We'll be lucky to get Stafford lol. 

After this loss we’re done I think.

24 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

By restructuring his contract for salary cap purposes at the end of 2019 season, $14.26 million of Rodgers' 2020 $21.55 million salary was converted into a signing bonus and prorated over his 2019-2023 contract years.

Rodgers' $33.05 million 2020 cap number dropped to $21.642 million. His 2021 through 2023 salary cap numbers each increased by $2.852 million in the restructure.

Accordingly, Rodgers has the NFL's third-highest 2021 cap number at $36.352 million.

If the Packers trade him before Rodgers' $6.8 million roster bonus becomes due, it would leave the Packers with a $31.556 million cap charge in 2021 from the remaining proration of his $57.5 million signing bonus and the $14.26 million converted into signing bonus during last December's contract restructure.

In sum, not only would the Packers be trading away the likely MVP, they would also be laeving themselves with $31.5 million in dead money for 2021.

That would be pretty, pretty bad for the Packers.

Rodgers didn't seem too pleased that GB drafted Jordan Love in the first round in the most recent draft.  Sort of a similar situation to Favre, but Rodgers had never threatened to retire.

Rodgers seemed very upset after today's loss (rightfully so).  He especially seemed angry that LaFleur chose to kick a FG inside the 10 yard line late in the game, at least mad enough to say he would probably have tried to run into the endzone on 3rd down if he thought the coach was going to kick a FG on 4th down rather than give him another shot.  

It's never a good idea to take someone's words with 100% seriousness in a very bad time (which I'm sure it was for Rodgers after losing that game after an MVP year).  That said, Rodgers did have some serious conviction in his voice when he said everyone's future is uncertain, including his own.  Rodgers has a bit of a right to be perturbed with some of today's play calling, and perhaps more with the Pack drafting Love in the first round in the 2020 draft -- he's playing at a very high level, has no major injury concerns and doesn't look like he's slowing down at all (he's still 6 years younger than Brady) -- the GB mgmt has seemingly ignored his desire to have more playmakers on offense (after D. Adams, he doesn't really have a whole lot) for a good chunk of his career and if I were him (i.e., MVP QB, future HOFer, with a bit of time left, but a window that's closing) I'd certainly have wanted to see that 1st round pick go towards a WR, OL or basically anything to help him rather than his future replacement.  

So, yea, it'd probably be a bad move for the Packers to part ways with Rodgers, especially if they have to take on that type of monetary hit.. but ultimately, Rodgers has done enough during his time in the league to have some say in his own fate.  If he truly wants out of GB (not saying he does for sure), it's probably more his choice than the Packers' at this point in time.

Also...  

Its important to remember about Rodgers, that his career didn’t really start until his 4th year.    Favre was still playing and Rodgers was on the sidelines.   So his body has much less miles it than you might think it would. 

That’s a big plus. 

That said....   trading fir him is going to be expensive....     he and Stafford, both. 

3 minutes ago, Arodgers12 said:

I think he is never going to win another SB here. He definitely wants to win and I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes to Indy, SF, Miami or Jacksonville.

He'd have a better shot sticking there and winning than he would in Jax (plus Jax is likely to draft Trevor Lawrence so probably won't want a vet on a 3 year contract at TL should start from day 1), MIA or SF.

14 minutes ago, Arodgers12 said:

I think he is never going to win another SB here. He definitely wants to win and I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes to Indy, SF, Miami or Jacksonville.

I could see John Lynch going after Rodgers aggressively and (somehow) making the $$$ work

10 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

He'd have a better shot sticking there and winning than he would in Jax (plus Jax is likely to draft Trevor Lawrence so probably won't want a vet on a 3 year contract at TL should start from day 1), MIA or SF.

He won’t win anything here. My expectations for the future are win the division, make the playoffs then lose like we always do.

21 minutes ago, Arodgers12 said:

Jacksonville?

Jacksonville?!? 

Did you mean to write that or was that just a brain cramp?   J’Ville isn’t trading for Aaron or anyone else when they have the first pick and Trevor Lawrence sitting there....

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Na, I doubt it. 

Tom Brady considered Indy his top destination and so did Josh McDaniels before he backed out.  They are certainly of the highest profile. This isn't the NBA.  Rodgers would gladly play for the Colts if he left Green Bay.  

26 minutes ago, Clem-Dog said:

Tom Brady considered Indy his top destination and so did Josh McDaniels before he backed out.  They are certainly of the highest profile. This isn't the NBA.  Rodgers would gladly play for the Colts if he left Green Bay.  

You’re not the first person to make the claim about Tom Brady and the Colts. 

But, to the best of my knowledge,  no one has offered up any proof.   A link that clearly says that.   Any chance you have one?  

Archived