Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

w87r Colts Offseason and Mock **update 2.0** w/ extensions (Darnold Edition)

Colts Cap Space:$68.6m(Spotrac)

(62 current active players)

Release Jack Doyle - $4.35m savings

Restructure Ryan Kelly - $6.75m savings

New Cap Space: $79.7m

Re-signings:

Dulin $850k(ERFA already rumored to be done)

Stallworth $850k(ERFA already rumored to be done)

Hilton $9m

Houston $9m

Autry $6m

Rhodes $7m

Carrie $1m

Hunt $1m

Odum $2.2m RFA original round tender(RoFR)

Pascal $2.2m RFA original round tender(RoFR)

Alie-Cox $2.2m RFA original round tender(RoFR)

Muhammed $4m

Burton $3m

Walker Jr $3m

14 players added(so 14x$780k(average est) =$10.9m)

Signings $51.3m - $10.9m(players that fall off top 51 salary cap) = $40.4m top 51 cap hit

New top 51 cap space: $39.3m

Trades:

Sam Darnold for 2021 3rd and 2022 3rd(that can become a 2nd) $4.7m cap hit

FA signings:

Trent Williams OT 3yrs $54m ($18m/season)

Mike Hilton. CB 3yrs $21m ($7m/season)

Allen Lazard WR 2yr $6m ($3m/season)

Acquisitions: $32.7m - $3.2m(4 players falling below top 51 cap) = $29.5m 

New Top 51 Cap Space: $9.8m

Draft Picks:

#21 - $1.8m - Carlos Bashem DE

2nd - $972k - Jackson Carmon T/G

4th - $773k - Pat Freiermuth TE

5th - $708k - Trey Sermon RB

6th - $687k - Myles Jones CB

7th - $673k - Deontay Anderson S

Draft Picks $2.7m - $1.6m(2 players fall off top 51) = $1.1m.

Top 51 Cap Space after draft: $8.7m(round 4 through 7 don't fall in top 51)

**84 players on roster

I hope they keep Doyle.  He’s relatively cheap, a steady receiver, and between him and M A-C we have two really good blocking TEs. 

I think if we get anyone other than Stafford I’ll be very disappointed.  But I’d rather have Darnold than drafting another QB.  If we did that we’d still have to pick up a veteran.  

IMHO, Eason sitting behind Stafford for a year or two is the ideal situation.  Find out if the guy can play.  

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I hope they keep Doyle.  He’s relatively cheap, a steady receiver, and between him and M A-C we have two really good blocking TEs. 

I think if we get anyone other than Stafford I’ll be very disappointed.  But I’d rather have Darnold than drafting another QB.  If we did that we’d still have to pick up a veteran.  

IMHO, Eason sitting behind Stafford for a year or two is the ideal situation.  Find out if the guy can play.  

Doyle sticking around is more likely in this scenario for sure.

I will probably do 1 more mock offseason where we draft a QB.

3 minutes ago, tvturner said:

Zaven Collins is not gonna be a DE in the NFL

Yeah maybe not, like I posted in Stafford addition, I still need to evaluate prospects. He was just top edge I saw that might be available right there.

2 hours ago, w87r said:

Re-signings:

Hilton $9m

Houston $9m

Autry $6m

Rhodes $7m

Carrie $1m

Hunt $1m

Muhammed $4m

Burton $3m

Walker Jr $3m

Signings $51.3m - $10.9m(players that fall off top 51 salary cap) = $40.4m top 51 cap hit

Trades:

FA signings:

Draft Picks:

**84 players on roster

87.....    as you know I'm a member of your Fan Club.   I think you've had an MVP caliber year.  (Most Valuable Poster).

But I'm very confused about your off-season projections.

Certain things in this post literally leap off the page at me.   Both what I see and what I don't see. 

For starters:   the 14 players that you signed.    And then right below that, you list 14 players added $780k per.   ????

Who are those 14 players and where does the $780 figure come from.  and why does the 10.9m for those added players come OFF the $51.3 million for the signings and not added ON?   

Also.....   no where on your post do you address perhaps the 2nd biggest off-season moves we are going to make (after QB)  And that is the signing to new BIG contracts for Q,  Leonard and Smith.   And maybe even a few others that are not as expensive such as Hines.    When are you planning on paying those guys?   

There are other questions for you,  but I think these two will be good for starters.

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For starters:   the 14 players that you signed.    And then right below that, you list 14 players added $780k per.   ????

Who are those 14 players and where does the $780 figure come from.  and why does the 10.9m for those added players come OFF the $51.3 million for the signings and not added ON?

The colts are over 51 players, so every player they sign a player will drop below that top 51 threshold. Which is what the cap does in the offseason. So when we sign 14 guys, 14 other guys will drop below that threshold. So that money comes off of the cap hit. It will be above that $780k for some of the players, I jist used that number as a reference because that is the number of the last players as of now on top 51, but after a few that number goes even higher. Check link below, every player with line through them is past top 51. So everytime we add a player that player and cap number will be bumped down and crossed out.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/cap/2021/

Also.....   no where on your post do you address perhaps the 2nd biggest off-season moves we are going to make (after QB)  And that is the signing to new BIG contracts for Q,  Leonard and Smith.   And maybe even a few others that are not as expensive such as Hines.    When are you planning on paying those guys?

Those guys arent do this year, I imagine we will start to take care of them, but that money will be added to the 2022 cap and going forward. In most cases their 2021 number will stay the same.

87.....    as you know I'm a member of your Fan Club.   I think you've had an MVP caliber year.  (Most Valuable Poster).

Thank you sir, that means a lot. Not sure it's a thing but I appreciate the love.

But I'm very confused about your off-season projections.

Certain things in this post literally leap off the page at me.   Both what I see and what I don't see. 

This seems to be the case a few times, but then I come through with an explanation like above and suddenly it all makes sense. :)

That number for 14 players would actually be:

7 × $780k

1 × $786k

2 x $812,323

1 x $816,281

3 x $850k

Then the 4 Acquisitions:

4 x $850k

2 Draft Picks above that number:

1 x $862,040

1x $867,175

So like I said I used $780 as a base but it is actually higher. 

The last 6 adds I just used $800k as a base.

So in theory we actually have more final cap.

Resigns

14 x $780 = $10.14m

Vs

$10,424,604

Other 6 moves:

6 × $800k = $4.8m

Vs

$5,129,215

So an addition $600k(ish)

4 hours ago, w87r said:

Re-signings:

Hilton $9m

Houston $9m

Autry $6m

Rhodes $7m

Carrie $1m

Hunt $1m

Muhammed $4m

Burton $3m

Walker Jr $3m

Trades:

FA signings:

I'd keep Doyle and let Burton walk, also with keeping Hilton and adding Lazard it would be a packed WR group how would you see our depth chart looking at the position.

2 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I'd keep Doyle and let Burton walk, also with keeping Hilton and adding Lazard it would be a packed WR group how would you see our depth chart looking at the position.

Keeping Doyle is more an option on this situation.

I can see the crowded WR argument,  it we see how quick that can change and would be nice to have another guy there in case.

Hilton

Pittman

Pascal

Campbell

Lazard

Dulin

Patmon

Harris

10 hours ago, w87r said:

Re-signings:

Hilton $9m

Houston $9m

Autry $6m

Rhodes $7m

Carrie $1m

Hunt $1m

Muhammed $4m

Burton $3m

Walker Jr $3m

Trades:

FA signings:

Draft Picks:

**84 players on roster

Another Jackson Carman fan!!. I keep telling people this guy is a stud and will be a great NFL pro. 

9 hours ago, w87r said:

The colts are over 51 players, so every player they sign a player will drop below that top 51 threshold. Which is what the cap does in the offseason. So when we sign 14 guys, 14 other guys will drop below that threshold. So that money comes off of the cap hit. It will be above that $780k for some of the players, I jist used that number as a reference because that is the number of the last players as of now on top 51, but after a few that number goes even higher. Check link below, every player with line through them is past top 51. So everytime we add a player that player and cap number will be bumped down and crossed out.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/cap/2021/

Those guys arent do this year, I imagine we will start to take care of them, but that money will be added to the 2022 cap and going forward. In most cases their 2021 number will stay the same.

Thank you sir, that means a lot. Not sure it's a thing but I appreciate the love.

This seems to be the case a few times, but then I come through with an explanation like above and suddenly it all makes sense. :)

Great info, thanks.    Appreciate it.   I had no idea on the top-51 and the players below that, etc.   Lots of fine print that escapes me.   

That said....

I think I'm going to be the killjoy here...   

I think there's very little chance, (I wouldn't say no chance) that the agents for Q, Leonard and Smith will let their clients practice, much less play,  without a new deal in place that extends them.   Otherwise,  their risking their careers for no new money.   Unless Ballard and Irsay can convince the players they'll be well taken care of even if they blow up a knee or something else on par,  it's hard to see the agents letting their players on a football field.   Especially the 2nd round guys who have one year left.   But same applies to Q, because even though he has two years to go,  he's such a superior player,  that he's got the most to lose.    I think it's a deal breaker.   No new contract will put these guys on the sidelines.   That doesn't feel very Ballard like to me.

There are other items to talk about,  but I just wanted to focus on this for now.  

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Great info, thanks.    Appreciate it.   I had no idea on the top-51 and the players below that, etc.   Lots of fine print that escapes me.   

That said....

I think I'm going to be the killjoy here...   

I think there's very little chance, (I wouldn't say no chance) that the agents for Q, Leonard and Smith will let their clients practice, much less play,  without a new deal in place that extends them.   Otherwise,  their risking their careers for no new money.   Unless Ballard and Irsay can convince the players they'll be well taken care of even if they blow up a knee or something else on par,  it's hard to see the agents letting their players on a football field.   Especially the 2nd round guys who have one year left.   But same applies to Q, because even though he has two years to go,  he's such a superior player,  that he's got the most to lose.    I think it's a deal breaker.   No new contract will put these guys on the sidelines.   That doesn't feel very Ballard like to me.

There are other items to talk about,  but I just wanted to focus on this for now.  

Like I said, I'm sure they will work on those, but that money will kick in next year(2022) so listing it on here doesn't matter touch because it isn't going to effect 2021 cap. If you're wondering what I think their contracts look like, probably something lile this.

Leonard 4yrs $64m $32m guaranteed

Smith 4yrs $48m $20m guaranteed

Don't think Q gets one this year as he has a 5th year option still for 2022. They will sign that one next off-season.

Hey, I don't know how deep you have looked at corners and Edges, but the number 1 pick I see being Jaelean Phillips, the Miami kid, he plays a similar style to Arik Armstead on the 49ers, being an edge who is 6'5 and plays the run v well. So I def think if we are looking at replacing our weak side he could fit. DBs the ones I see us taking are Paulson Adebo (stanford) played a lot of zone looks in college would fit out scheme, physical guys that play like Xaiver are Ifeatu Melifonwu and Israel Mukuamu, both long rangy DBs I see Ballard liking.
PS love the Lazard pick up, I don't know if he will leave Green Bay but love him

Good attempt, Like your FA acquisitions. not sure if Lazard will be this cheap but if he is I'd definitely kick the tires here. The only problem I see is Mike Hilton doesn't seem to fit the arm-length requirement. Carman continues to be put in mock drafts by Colts fans so I definitely need to go watch him. 

Basham can be had in the 2nd round. So in your case I would take an OT in round 1. It could still be Carman. Not sure Friermuth will be there that light. Most places have him as TE #2 or 3 at worst, which could mean he goes 2nd or 3rd round.

FA picks are solid too. 7/10 overall on the whole offseason. Wouldn’t be mad at this.

10 hours ago, w87r said:

Like I said, I'm sure they will work on those, but that money will kick in next year(2022) so listing it on here doesn't matter touch because it isn't going to effect 2021 cap. If you're wondering what I think their contracts look like, probably something lile this.

Leonard 4yrs $64m $32m guaranteed

Smith 4yrs $48m $20m guaranteed

Don't think Q gets one this year as he has a 5th year option still for 2022. They will sign that one next off-season.

I understand that the years being added on will be for future years.  2022 and so on.

But when they do those deals THIS YEAR, the signing bonus will count in 2021.   And those signing bonuses will be considerable for the big three. 

@w87r - if we do this Darnold trade, I would not be opposed to the Colts trading down from No.21 to gain picks with the Dolphins to get No.36 (2nd), No.81 (3rd) and No.181 (6th). 

Or if the Browns want someone they really like sitting there at No.21, trade back and get picks No.26 and pick No.90 (Browns have 2 third rounders No.89 and No.90).

In both cases, I think we will have good players left without a significant drop back.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I understand that the years being added on will be for future years.  2022 and so on.

But when they do those deals THIS YEAR, the signing bonus will count in 2021.   And those signing bonuses will be considerable for the big three. 

There are ways to work around it and Im about 100% sure Nelson isn't getting extension this year. He will get one next year after they pick up his 5th year option.

Ballard is not a big Signing Bonus guy.  Buckner nor Kelly got a Signing Bonus. Glowinski Doyle and Stewart are the only non rookies to have a SB on the team and they are small.

You can have big Roster Bonus guaranteed and  future base salaries. He is more of a guaranteed money guy, that way it takes away from potential dead cap down the line. Guaranteed future money is just as reassuring when risking injury.

But just for you I am going to adjust both my mocks to include an Extension for Leonard and Smith. :thmup:   Only because you said you are in the fan club. :D

Re-signings:

Hilton $9m

Houston $9m

Autry $6m

Rhodes $7m

Carrie $1m

Hunt $1m

Odum $2.2m RFA original round tender(RoFR)

Pascal $2.2m RFA original round tender(RoFR)

Alie-Cox $2.2m RFA original round tender(RoFR)

11players added(so 11x$780k(average est) =$8.6m)

Signings $41.3m - $8.6m(players that fall off top 51 salary cap) = $32.7m top 51 cap hit

New top 51 cap space: $47m

Extensions:

Darius Leonard:(4 years $64m $38.47m guaranteed(2021 base + 2021 RB, 2022/2023 numbers))

2021:$1.47m base, $838k SB, $5m RB = $7.3m ~ guaranteed

2022:$5m base, $10m RB = $15m ~ guaranteed

2023: $10m base, $7m RB = $17m ~ guaranteed

2024: $12m base, $4m RB = $16m

2025: $11m base = $11m

Braden Smith:(4yrs $52m $31.46m guaranteed(2021 base + 2021 RB, 2022/2023 numbers))

2021: $1.46m base, $828k SB, $5m RB = $7.3m

2022: $8m base, $5m RB = $13m

2023: $7m base, $5m RB = $12m

2024: $6m base, $5m RB = $11m

2025: $14m base

New Cap Space:$37m

Trades:

FA signings:

New Top 51 Cap Space: $7.5m

Draft Picks:

#21 - $1.8m - Jaelean Phillips  DE

4th - $773k - Damar Hamlin S

7th - $673k - Luke Farrell TE

Draft Picks $2.7m - $1.6m(2 players fall off top 51) = $1.1m.

Top 51 Cap Space after draft: $6.6m(round 4 through 7 don't fall in top 51)

**81 players on roster

@NewColtsFan

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

@w87r - if we do this Darnold trade, I would not be opposed to the Colts trading down from No.21 to gain picks with the Dolphins to get No.36 (2nd), No.81 (3rd) and No.181 (6th). 

Or if the Browns want someone they really like sitting there at No.21, trade back and get picks No.26 and pick No.90 (Browns have 2 third rounders No.89 and No.90).

In both cases, I think we will have good players left without a significant drop back.

It would make sense no doubt. Im not to familiar with prospects yet though so last thing I need is to try and find more people. Maybe as the offseason progresses I will delve deeper into prospects more.

• w87r changed the title to w87r Colts Offseason and Mock **update 2.0** w/ extensions (Darnold Edition)
3 hours ago, w87r said:

There are ways to work around it and Im about 100% sure Nelson isn't getting extension this year. He will get one next year after they pick up his 5th year option.

Ballard is not a big Signing Bonus guy.  Buckner nor Kelly got a Signing Bonus. Glowinski Doyle and Stewart are the only non rookies to have a SB on the team and they are small.

You can have big Roster Bonus guaranteed and  future base salaries. He is more of a guaranteed money guy, that way it takes away from potential dead cap down the line. Guaranteed future money is just as reassuring when risking injury.

But just for you I am going to adjust both my mocks to include an Extension for Leonard and Smith. :thmup:   Only because you said you are in the fan club. :D

And because I'm a member of the fan club.....       for you!      :heart:   :flowers:

BUT......

It's already started.    Today, a story out saying that the Ravens, and Lamar Jackson, taken in the same draft as as our Big Three,  are talking about a well deserved extension and hope to have it done in the next 10 days.     It's a thing.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30776958/baltimore-ravens-lamar-jackson-talk-contract-qb-deserves-extension-gm-eric-decosta-says

I know what Ballard likes and wants.    But these players have agents who have to look out for the interests of their players.  They're going to want some financial protection for their clients.    You don't want this to turn into an issue in the locker room which Ballard and Reich rightfully pride themselves on having the best locker room in the NFL.     Just saying....

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And because I'm a member of the fan club.....       for you!      :heart:   :flowers:

BUT......

It's already started.    Today, a story out saying that the Ravens, and Lamar Jackson, taken in the same draft as as our Big Three,  are talking about a well deserved extension and hope to have it done in the next 10 days.     It's a thing.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30776958/baltimore-ravens-lamar-jackson-talk-contract-qb-deserves-extension-gm-eric-decosta-says

I know what Ballard likes and wants.    But these players have agents who have to look out for the interests of their players.  They're going to want some financial protection for their clients.    You don't want this to turn into an issue in the locker room which Ballard and Reich rightfully pride themselves on having the best locker room in the NFL.     Just saying....

I gave DL and Smith extensions

Still don't think Nelson get an extension this offseason. Hopefully he does, as I would love to have him locked up. He is making a solid number this year. I think picking up his 5th year option is insurance enough for him this year. Then extension next year. He will be making almost $8m this year where top guards are $11-$15m.

Jackson was late 1st rounder, so he is drastically underpaid especially given the position he plays. He is making $3m this year when other QBs with his resume is over $30m.

@w87r      By the way,  wanted to take a moment to talk a couple of draft picks you had us taking.

At one point you had us taking Penn State tight end Pat Freiermouth in the 4th,  and Ohio State RB Trey Sermon in the 5th.

I suspect you're using the data base of one of the virtual draft simulators.    Those are always badly out of touch at this point in the process.

So, for example,  McShay at ESPN and the people at CBS Sports have Freiermouth as the 26th or 30th ranked overall player.  He's got a high 2nd round grade.    And Kiper has him as his 2nd tight end, which likely mean roughly the same.   I don't see him getting past the top-50,  so middle of the 2nd round at the latest, and a possible first round kid.

And Sermon, reminds me of Josh Jacobs a few years ago.    Not in size,  but that he came out of nowhere very late in the process and wound up going late in the 1st to the Raiders.     Now, I don't think Serman goes that high,  but Kiper has him as his 3rd RB already which would project 2nd round.   And CBS has him with a 3rd round ranking.    McShay has not updated as of yet,  but I expect roughly the same.   I think the kid has Day 2 written all over him, and I think more likely 2nd round than 3rd round.   He's one of my new hard man crushes for this draft.   Love this kid!  

This is just for future reference as you do more of these....     :hat:

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Still don't think Nelson get an extension this offseason. Hopefully he does, as I would love to have him locked up. He is making a solid number this year. I think picking up his 5th year option is insurance enough for him this year. Then extension next year. He will be making almost $8m this year where top guards are $11-$15m.

Jackson was late 1st rounder, so he is drastically underpaid especially given the position he plays. He is making $3m this year when other QBs with his resume is over $30m.

Good Point Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I suspect you're using the data base of one of the virtual draft simulators.    Those are always badly out of touch at this point in the process.

No simulators, just bounced around a few mock drafts and couple different sites.

Player evaluations will be all over the place for a while before they settle in. I really just did this to try and see what players we would/could re-sign while adding a qb and maybe FA or 2 and making money work.

Draft picks are just whatever at this point. Eventually players will start securing more solid ranges. Just early in the process.

11 hours ago, w87r said:

I think we wait on Nelson also.  Perfect time to use the 5th year option and let the cap go back up next year. 

Archived