Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matthew Stafford and the Lions have agreed to work on a trade (Merge)

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please for the love of god Ballard don't give up a first for a stat QB

Rivers had really good teams, he just failed. Stafford was given the worst of the worst teams and coaches. He's a "stat" guy because that's all he has, just win a shoot out. He's no injury prone at al

You’re nuts if you wouldn’t give up the 21st pick for Stafford.    Sign me up. Pull the trigger, Ballard

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

With the fact he wants to be here, and Detroit wouldn't have to deal him within the conference, I would hope we don't have to give up as much as say some NFC teams are offering. 

5 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

With the fact he wants to be here, and Detroit wouldn't have to deal him within the conference, I would hope we don't have to give up as much as say some NFC teams are offering. 

Lifetime supply of organic corn starch from Clabber Girl, free trips to French Lick for family every year, and lifetime Indy 500 season tickets should do it. :thmup:

Would DET go for Tyquan Lewis, RYS, and NEXT year's 1st round pick?   We are talking about making upgrades to pass rush and CB, so it seems like those players are due for more competition anyway. 

DET has new management.  They might want two young "ascending" players to build with now and have a season to remove COVID induced uncertainty amongst college players and a chance to evaluate their roster.  Another first rounder next year when they are more settled might be worth more to them than a first round pick this year, considering the short time frame they are working under.

We could go LT at 21, then DE and CB 2nd and 3rd, which some want to do even if we keep TL and RYS.

2 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

There is a recent article in the Washington Post where Clayton says he thinks Stafford ends up in Washington.

Just passing along news.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

So they are saying that after the super bowl they will make the deal for the trade? 

Can say for certain, but the guy does have over 12k followers

On 1/25/2021 at 12:50 PM, Valpo2004 said:

I like Stafford but the trade could get pricey with this many teams in the mix to trade for him.  A lot of teams with a lot higher draft picks than ours.

The only thing that could be said was that if Stafford was given some say in where he wanted to go, Indy might be a place that he would consider more than the other teams.  

But if the team just trades him based on who provides the best deal. . . I'm not sure we could compete.  

Stafford could refuse to go to a team and threaten to hang it up and Detroit gets nothing. Stafford supposedly wants to end up in Indy according to a few sources and Detoit would be better off taking a little less from the Colts if the Colts offer is reasonable. Stafford wants out of Detroit period.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Stafford could refuse to go to a team and threaten to hang it up and Detroit gets nothing. Stafford supposedly wants to end up in Indy according to a few sources and Detoit would be better off taking a little less from the Colts if the Colts offer is reasonable. Stafford wants out of Detroit period.

That's not how it works. The NFL is a business and the Lions are not gonna take a low-ball offer just to please Stafford.

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

if Ballard finds away to get Stafford without surrendering 1st he's the best GM 

Best offer I can think of is our 1st 2nd and next year's second for Stafford and their 2nd. Atleast in that scenario it's not as bad of a drop off draft wise and we can still get a T or pass rusher early in the second.

• Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, CR91 said:

That's not how it works. The NFL is a business and the Lions are not gonna take a low-ball offer just to please Stafford.

Did you miss the part where I said "if the Colts offer is reasonable"?

22 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Best offer I can think of is our 1st 2nd and next year's second for Stafford and their 2nd. Atleast in that scenario it's not as bad of a drop off draft wise and we can still get a T or pass rusher early in the second.

1st of this year and 2nd of next year is the most the Lions will get from the Colts, IMO, when the dust settles. That is what a 31 year old "retired" Carson Palmer got for the Bengals from the Raiders. I would think that with our OL and current QB longevity, Stafford's 33 could be the new 31, and I see 4 good years at least.

We are all throwing darts on the board here, no doubt. That counts for my throw. :) 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

1st of this year and 2nd of next year is the most the Lions will get from the Colts, IMO, when the dust settles. That is what a 31 year old "retired" Carson Palmer got for the Bengals from the Raiders. I would think that with our OL and current QB longevity, Stafford's 33 could be the new 31, and I see 4 good years at least.

We are all throwing darts on the board here, no doubt. That counts for my throw. :) 

always sunny stunt GIF

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

We are all throwing darts on the board here, no doubt. That counts for my throw.  

How about a 1st nand Turay or YaSin or both?

3 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

How about a 1st and Turay or YaSin or both?

They'd rather draft their own young defensive players, I am thinking. I am not ready to give up on both of them this early. Lewis has had enough time to show us he is not a 3 down guy, but if I give up both Turay and RYS, I'd reduce the offer to a 2nd and a 3rd along with them.

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

They'd rather draft their own young defensive players, I am thinking. I am not ready to give up on both of them this early. Lewis has had enough time to show us he is not a 3 down guy, but if I give up both Turay and RYS, I'd reduce the offer to a 2nd and a 3rd along with them.

As I said earlier, I think most would like to replace Lewis and RYS anyway. 

They are two legit starters, and a team that's rebuilding has to start with accumulating starters before they worry about drafting all-pros.  Grigson and Ballard both started off by finding guys (FAs in their case) who could come in and stabilize starting positions as they sorted things out.  Lewis and RYS are definitely good enough to contribute to an ascending rebuilding roster, IMO.  That's two positions DET would not have to spend draft picks on.

And I think DET plays the 43 zone, at least they used to unless Patricia changed that.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, chad72 said:

There have been a few QBs in this scenario with similar settings......  A first round pick seems to be the starting point,

There are a few folks that have draft positions thru 12. If you are in those cases, you would want to wait until after the draft, because in EVERY draft a QB slips from their projected position.

Does a SF give up their 12th pick and a second pick to get a 33 year old QB?

I dont think so

Does Detroit wish to trade  to a conference opponent  like Washington?

Maybe

I would think a deal would be sought sooner than later, as the Lions want to plan for the draft.

Lastly

I do think this wont be a pure "auction" and if Stafford truly wants to go to a specific team, the Colts may get "last look"

where they can put together at least competitive deal to the highest bidder

• Like 2
14 hours ago, CR91 said:

Meh this doesn't mean much to me.  10 teams is still a lot of teams.  

If you have a QB or are picking towards the top of the draft you probably are not interested.  

Article lists 19 teams but the article is incorrect that these teams would be seriously interested in giving up picks and money for Stafford.  Remember these teams arn't stupid, they know it's likely going to take a 1st.  They arn't getting Stafford for some 5th round pick.

Article lists:

Jets, Patriots, Dolphins, Steelers, Browns, Jaguars, Colts, Texans, Broncos, Raiders, Washington, Cowboys (as a potentially cheaper alternative to Dak Prescott), Bears, Vikings, Panthers, Saints, Falcons, 49ers, and Rams.

But several of those are incorrect.

Jets are in complete rebuild and hold the #2 overall pick.  They are not going to want to make a significant investment in a 32 year old QB.

Patriots: Yes

Dolphins: Probably not, they will probably give Tua another year.  

Steelers: If Big Ben said I'm retiring now than yes.  But if Big Ben is coming back than no.

Browns: Umm no, they have Mayfield.  Stafford might be a little better but is the improvement worth a 1st rounder to them?  Also Mayfield is a lot younger.

Jags: They would be stupid to trade Trevor Lawrence for Matt Stafford.  Jags need to get Lawrence and build around him.  

Colts: Yes

Texans: Maybe but probably not.   It doesn't seem 100% certain that Watson is on his way out.  Plus even if Watson is on his way out, Texans are also in a complete rebuild.  If you are rebuilding you don't invest high picks in older Vet QB's because by the time your rebuild is complete they are on the decline.

Broncos: Maybe

Raiders: No, again how much better is Stafford over Carr?

Washington: Yes

Cowboys: Seems to me that they should just pay Dak.

Bears: Yes

Vikings: I think they are still attached at the hip to Cousins.  

Panthers: Yes

Saints: They have Hill as their QB.  Payton said he was going to be the next Saints QB.  Plus given the cap situation they couldn't.  They are over 100M in the red.

Falcons: Maybe if Matt Ryan is leaving.  But I have not heard that he is.

49ers: I think they are kind of attached at the hip to Jimmy G.

Rams: No, Stafford doesn't provide enough of an improvement over Goff.  

The reported teams that have contacted the Texans over Watson does not say how many of those calls were serious or just asking how much. 

We more than likely will know nothing till a deal is done. 

23 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Meh this doesn't mean much to me.  10 teams is still a lot of teams.  

If you have a QB or are picking towards the top of the draft you probably are not interested.  

Article lists 19 teams but the article is incorrect that these teams would be seriously interested in giving up picks and money for Stafford.  Remember these teams arn't stupid, they know it's likely going to take a 1st.  They arn't getting Stafford for some 5th round pick.

Article lists:

Jets, Patriots, Dolphins, Steelers, Browns, Jaguars, Colts, Texans, Broncos, Raiders, Washington, Cowboys (as a potentially cheaper alternative to Dak Prescott), Bears, Vikings, Panthers, Saints, Falcons, 49ers, and Rams.

But several of those are incorrect.

Jets are in complete rebuild and hold the #2 overall pick.  They are not going to want to make a significant investment in a 32 year old QB.

Patriots: Yes

Dolphins: Probably not, they will probably give Tua another year.  

Steelers: If Big Ben said I'm retiring now than yes.  But if Big Ben is coming back than no.

Browns: Umm no, they have Mayfield.  Stafford might be a little better but is the improvement worth a 1st rounder to them?  Also Mayfield is a lot younger.

Jags: They would be stupid to trade Trevor Lawrence for Matt Stafford.  Jags need to get Lawrence and build around him.  

Colts: Yes

Texans: Maybe but probably not.   It doesn't seem 100% certain that Watson is on his way out.  Plus even if Watson is on his way out, Texans are also in a complete rebuild.  If you are rebuilding you don't invest high picks in older Vet QB's because by the time your rebuild is complete they are on the decline.

Broncos: Maybe

Raiders: No, again how much better is Stafford over Carr?

Washington: Yes

Cowboys: Seems to me that they should just pay Dak.

Bears: Yes

Vikings: I think they are still attached at the hip to Cousins.  

Panthers: Yes

Saints: They have Hill as their QB.  Payton said he was going to be the next Saints QB.  Plus given the cap situation they couldn't.  They are over 100M in the red.

Falcons: Maybe if Matt Ryan is leaving.  But I have not heard that he is.

49ers: I think they are kind of attached at the hip to Jimmy G.

Rams: No, Stafford doesn't provide enough of an improvement over Goff.  

I think you offer something like 2 2nd round picks, or a single first.   Or, something unique like 2 first round picks AND get Detroits 2nd round pick this year (39th overall) .......... If this isnt enough, ..... you wait

There are 4 high rated rookies in this draft at QB

I want the 33 year old (in two months) Stafford, but if the cost to acquire is 2 first round picks, I would rather use those toward moving up to get one of these 4 top rookies.     

Too many moving pieces to get any accurate read of what really will happen

The Colts may not even want Stafford......  just a bunch of talking heads in the media, and "know little" fans like me, sharing opinions.....

• Like 1

DET may not be getting much interest.  Stafford is not exactly the type of QB a team rebuilds with.  They want draft picks, not use them on a 33 year old QB, which is why rebuilding DET might trade him.

He needs to go to a team not rebuilding.  Colts are one.  I guess SF might be another.  Not sure what other team is out there where a giving up draft picks for a 33 year old QB makes sense.

40 minutes ago, DougDew said:

DET may not be getting much interest.  Stafford is not exactly the type of QB a team rebuilds with.  They want draft picks, not use them on a 33 year old QB, which is why rebuilding DET might trade him.

He needs to go to a team not rebuilding.  Colts are one.  I guess SF might be another.  Not sure what other team is out there where a giving up draft picks for a 33 year old QB makes sense.

Agree. I also like the fact that Stafford is not creating any drama whatsoever, has always been a consummate pro despite being on a bad team. He should fit with the Colts and their locker room and culture very well as the starting QB.

• Like 1

A roadblock is playing in my head. What if the lions and texans swap QBs with the lions also including their first round pick.

It would be very interesting to get Stafford and also sign Golladay for our #1 assuming he is healthy.  I don't see Lions being able to tag him again and he would feel comfortable coming with Stafford I bet.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, CR91 said:

A roadblock is playing in my head. What if the lions and texans swap QBs with the lions also including their first round pick.

kristen wiig gtfo GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, DougDew said:

The big question... is a 33 year old QB worth the 12th pick in the draft? (For SF)

At 12, they could EASILY use that pick as part of a trade up to get one of the 4 top QBs

If SF is all in on Stafford, we may not be able to get close as matching the 12pic

For example on the draft pick values (Not an exact science of course)

SF owns the 12th pick and its worth 1200 points

Indy owns the 21st pick and its worth 800 points

The Indy 2nd round pick is worth 360 points

To be even close, we would have to give up a 1 and a 2 

I TRULY hope that we can get the guy.... but if SF really wants him (And SF is a place that Stafford would consider)....... he is gone

Lets hope SF chases the top 4

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

The big question... is a 33 year old QB worth the 12th pick in the draft? (For SF)

At 12, they could EASILY use that pick as part of a trade up to get one of the 4 top QBs

If SF is all in on Stafford, we may not be able to get close as matching the 12pic

For example on the draft pick values (Not an exact science of course)

SF owns the 12th pick and its worth 1200 points

Indy owns the 21st pick and its worth 800 points

The Indy 2nd round pick is worth 360 points

To be even close, we would have to give up a 1 and a 2 

I TRULY hope that we can get the guy.... but if SF really wants him (And SF is a place that Stafford would consider)....... he is gone

Lets hope SF chases the top 4

Some have mentioned DET not wanting to trade to another NFC team, but the reality is, is that those two teams are on a different timeline.  By the time DET has to worry about facing SF in the playoffs, Stafford will be retired most likely.

Yeah, hopefully Stafford can have some say by negotiating a new contract.  SF doesn't have the cap space we do, so maybe Stafford plays hard ball with the contract making DET or SF eat more of it.

He holds some cards.  There was a report that the deal to Indy is done and Stafford just needs to sign.  I could see where all compensation that goes back and forth between teams doesn't get executed until the moment Stafford signs a new contract.  I can see where we would have an advantage over SF at that point, if IND is where Stafford wants to go.

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

I heard on the Pat MacAfee show today that a third of NFL teams have contacted detroit 

On 1/23/2021 at 6:50 PM, CR91 said:

Proven? What has Stafford done in this league? Has he won anything?

Hes been on the lions, I dont care how many playoff games hes won.  it will cost more than the 21st pick in the draft to get him though 

30 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

This is going to be a weird draft, picks are worth less than normal imo.  Id say yes, all things considered 

10 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

This is going to be a weird draft, picks are worth less than normal imo.  Id say yes, all things considered 

Another BIG question is timing..... 

IF SF steps now, they lose an opportunity that MIGHT come (with multiple picks) to get them a top 4 QB in the draft.

If Washington takes a stab toward Stafford, we have a similar value in pick to offer 

I dont see Carolina or Denver giving up a sub 10 pick for Stafford

The wildcard IMHO is New England.....  at 15, they could best us easily, but a 1st and a 3rd might be enough

WAY too many teams need a QB. 

The sooner Stafford / Lions decide, the sooner we can get moving forward... one way or another

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Lions would need more than that.

Watson for Stafford and their first? Lions would jump at that

5 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think you offer something like 2 2nd round picks, or a single first.   Or, something unique like 2 first round picks AND get Detroits 2nd round pick this year (39th overall) .......... If this isnt enough, ..... you wait

There are 4 high rated rookies in this draft at QB

I want the 33 year old (in two months) Stafford, but if the cost to acquire is 2 first round picks, I would rather use those toward moving up to get one of these 4 top rookies.     

Too many moving pieces to get any accurate read of what really will happen

The Colts may not even want Stafford......  just a bunch of talking heads in the media, and "know little" fans like me, sharing opinions.....

I'm with you. . . two firsts is too much of a price to pay.  I think I might max out at a 1st and a 3rd.  

• Like 1
  • Shive locked and unlocked this topic