Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eagles hire Colts' DBs Coach Jonathan Gannon for DC

Just now, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

And that means there is a better chance that Rhodes will not be back unless pay more, he had talked about Gannon 

Yeah, I was thinking the same.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, krunk said:

Well im assuming Flus stays. Otherwise Reich maybe promotes Gannon to DC in anticipation of Flus leaving instead of letting Gannon leave

Flus is still apparently an early favorite for the Texans job.

13 minutes ago, indykmj said:
33 minutes ago, Superman said:

That's only for HC/GM positions, right?

You know, I;'m not sure. I think it applies to HCs too. Not sure about OC/DC, etc. 

Just when I thought the Colts might actually go a whole day....   One!   Hole!   Day!   without losing someone....    now we have lost our DB coach.

I know we will find someone we like...   in 4 years, I think this administration has shown it can find players AND coaches to do the job.

I was just hoping to go a day....        Oh well....      :peek:

• Like 1

The bright side of the Colts losing coaches is that it means that we have a really good coaching staff in place. People should be raiding our staff. It’s the mark of any great front office.

• Like 3

This is starting to worry me, if Eberflus also leaves. It could result in a mass exodus of our assistant coaches which could really hurt us. It reminds me of the Eagles after the Super Bowl, when they lost a lot of coaches and it seemed they never recovered.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If anyone can summarize this, I'd appreciate it.     I can't read a word.    I can't seem to enlarge it.

Sure NCF, here's the whole thing:

2020 Resolution JC-2A

Whereas, the member clubs believe that policies designed to promote equal employment opportunity and a diverse and inclusive workforce advance significant league interests, including improved decision making, enhanced business performance, and representing the NFL as an employer of choice that hires and promotes based on merit; and

Whereas, the member clubs have adopted policies extending over several decades in furtherance of these goals, including policies designed to permit upward mobility and advancement of club employees, particularly those in coaching and football operations roles; and

Whereas, the member clubs believe that it is appropriate to take additional steps to enhance opportunities for employment and advancement of minorities and women in key positions, including leadership roles in coaching, personnel, and football operations,

Be it Resolved, that the League Policy on Equal Employment and Workplace Diversity will be amended as follows:

(i) The employer-club of a minority employee who has been hired by another club as its Head Coach or Primary Football Executive (General Manager) shall receive Draft choice compensation in the form of a compensatory Draft pick in the third round in each of the next two Drafts for an employee hired as either a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive, or for the next three Drafts if it has two employees hired for both positions. The reference to the hiring of employees into “both positions” could be by the same club or different clubs. The following will apply to the Draft choice compensation:

a. Any compensatory Draft picks awarded pursuant to this Policy will be at the end of the third round following all compensatory Draft picks awarded to clubs pursuant to Appendix V of the NFL-NFLPA Collective Bargaining Agreement. 

b. If multiple clubs are awarded compensatory Draft picks pursuant to this Policy, then the order of those picks at the end of the third round will follow the original selection order for that Draft established prior to any trades or other adjustments.

(ii) The employer-club shall be eligible to receive this Draft choice compensation if:

a. The minority employee hired as a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive has been employed by the employer-club for a minimum of two full seasons; and

b. The minority employee is not the Head Coach or Primary Football Executive of the employer-club and is hired into the same position with the new club. There can be no break in employment between clubs.

Submitted by Workplace Diversity Committee

Effect: Establishes a system that rewards clubs for developing minority employees who move to the position of Primary Football Executive or Head Coach with other clubs.

Reason: Supports development opportunities for minority employees to advance goals of diversity, equity and inclusion.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

Sure NCF, here's the whole thing:

2020 Resolution JC-2A

Whereas, the member clubs believe that policies designed to promote equal employment opportunity and a diverse and inclusive workforce advance significant league interests, including improved decision making, enhanced business performance, and representing the NFL as an employer of choice that hires and promotes based on merit; and

Whereas, the member clubs have adopted policies extending over several decades in furtherance of these goals, including policies designed to permit upward mobility and advancement of club employees, particularly those in coaching and football operations roles; and

Whereas, the member clubs believe that it is appropriate to take additional steps to enhance opportunities for employment and advancement of minorities and women in key positions, including leadership roles in coaching, personnel, and football operations,

Be it Resolved, that the League Policy on Equal Employment and Workplace Diversity will be amended as follows:

(i) The employer-club of a minority employee who has been hired by another club as its Head Coach or Primary Football Executive (General Manager) shall receive Draft choice compensation in the form of a compensatory Draft pick in the third round in each of the next two Drafts for an employee hired as either a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive, or for the next three Drafts if it has two employees hired for both positions. The reference to the hiring of employees into “both positions” could be by the same club or different clubs. The following will apply to the Draft choice compensation:

a. Any compensatory Draft picks awarded pursuant to this Policy will be at the end of the third round following all compensatory Draft picks awarded to clubs pursuant to Appendix V of the NFL-NFLPA Collective Bargaining Agreement. 

b. If multiple clubs are awarded compensatory Draft picks pursuant to this Policy, then the order of those picks at the end of the third round will follow the original selection order for that Draft established prior to any trades or other adjustments.

(ii) The employer-club shall be eligible to receive this Draft choice compensation if:

a. The minority employee hired as a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive has been employed by the employer-club for a minimum of two full seasons; and

b. The minority employee is not the Head Coach or Primary Football Executive of the employer-club and is hired into the same position with the new club. There can be no break in employment between clubs.

Submitted by Workplace Diversity Committee

Effect: Establishes a system that rewards clubs for developing minority employees who move to the position of Primary Football Executive or Head Coach with other clubs.

Reason: Supports development opportunities for minority employees to advance goals of diversity, equity and inclusion.

Thanks for doing this, Dogg.

I hope this somewhat incentivizes teams to make good choices and do it for the right reasons.   This issue has been so difficult to get right for the league for a long, LONG time.    Hopefully this is a good step in the right direction.

Thanks again, 63....

• Like 2

so Sirianni leaves and basically takes Gannon with him, and the Colts...

need 1) an OC and 2) a DB coach

is that the current state of things?

It'll be interesting if Flus leaves too (& takes anyone with him)

For a team that got knocked out the playoffs in the 1st round we sure are losing alot of coaches. What does that say about Reich's coaching staff. His staff is in high demand. Ballard and Reich are bringing in high character guys and good coaches. They will bring in guys to fill the rolls that are being taken. Yes it's a little disturbing that it's happening but not worried about the losses. Remember we where going to higher Josh what's his face and we got Reich. It's worked out pretty well with no true #1 qb to roll with. Ballard will fill these positions and we will be fine

• Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, Bert Johns said:

For a team that got knocked out the playoffs in the 1st round we sure are losing alot of coaches. What does that say about Reich's coaching staff. His staff is in high demand. 

It's because we don't have Mahomes or a cast of game changers.  To get to 11-5, people think they must be getting coached up pretty well.

20 minutes ago, Bert Johns said:

For a team that got knocked out the playoffs in the 1st round we sure are losing alot of coaches. What does that say about Reich's coaching staff. His staff is in high demand. Ballard and Reich are bringing in high character guys and good coaches. They will bring in guys to fill the rolls that are being taken. Yes it's a little disturbing that it's happening but not worried about the losses. Remember we where going to higher Josh what's his face and we got Reich. It's worked out pretty well with no true #1 qb to roll with. Ballard will fill these positions and we will be fine

Just curious. What exactly has worked out so well. We got beat handily in the 2018 playoffs. We didn't make the playoffs last year. We lost a playoff game we should have won this year. The roster is/was better overall, but that didn't really manifest itself in the playoffs. 

If anything, it feels like teams are picking at the bones because they see good pieces at an otherwise underperforming 2020 team. 

Sirianni is a huge gamble for Philly. Many have called it a stretch only to try an salvage Wentz. Many have even said not hiring McDaniels was a mistake. I wouldn't make any definitive statement about it either way, but hiring a non-play-calling OC to be a HC is a gamble. Hiring a DB coach from a team with a soft zone (easily the worst unit on the team) to be a DC is another dice roll. 

Only time will tell, but the moves aren't really indicative to anything IMO.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Sirianni is a huge gamble for Philly. Many have called it a stretch only to try an salvage Wentz. Many have even said not hiring McDaniels was a mistake. I wouldn't make any definitive statement about it either way, but hiring a non-play-calling OC to be a HC is a gamble. Hiring a DB coach from a team with a soft zone (easily the worst unit on the team) to be a DC is another dice roll. 

Only time will tell, but the moves aren't really indicative to anything IMO.

It sort of makes sense for their situation, though.  Their money is tied up in their QB and DLine.

So they go get Sirianni for Wentz, and get Gannon for a scheme that depends on the DLine.  Also, both are under 40, which follows this trend of trying to find young coaching talent.

I could see it energize that team and they might have some early success if Sirianni can take the reins and maintain a good locker room.  We'll have to see what they do with the draft and FA, and what might be another weird covid-offseason when it comes to training camp and preseason.  :dunno:

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

It sort of makes sense for their situation, though. 

I called it last week (Sirianni to salvage Wentz). Makes total sense, but IMO a call more to save face/cap, than to be bold and win.

Their money is tied up in their QB and DLine.

So they go get Sirianni for Wentz, and get Gannon for a scheme that depends on the DLine.  Also, both are under 40, which follows this trend of trying to find young coaching talent.

Could be a great move. I'm not sure how much Sirianni might have been held back by Reich's scheme, or Gannon held back by a conservative bend don't break D.

I could see it energize that team and they might have some early success if Sirianni can take the reins and maintain a good locker room.  We'll have to see what they do with the draft and FA, and what might be another weird covid-offseason when it comes to training camp and preseason.  :dunno:

total coin flip IMO.

If they look really good leading Philly, it'll look bad on the Colts schemes.

3 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

It's official, they've agreed to terms now. Kevin Patullo is also going to the Eagles.

This is what I was afraid of our assistant coaches are getting gutted and it will only get worse if Eberflus leaves. 

It's gonna be hard to replace them.

43 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

This is what I was afraid of our assistant coaches are getting gutted and it will only get worse if Eberflus leaves. 

Perk up there Petey... We will still get Stafford and send all of our remaining picks to the packers for Jordan Love so we should be better than fine.... :lol:

• Haha 1

Solutions to losing young, talented coaches:

1. Be a losing team

2. hire young, lousy coaches (this will help maintain #1)

3. hire older coaches who are close to retirement, and are no longer looking to move up the ranks

55 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Solutions to losing young, talented coaches:

1. Be a losing team

2. hire young, lousy coaches (this will help maintain #1)

3. hire older coaches who are close to retirement, and are no longer looking to move up the ranks

4. Find young, up-and-coming talented coaches.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Zoltan said:

i thought our coaching hurt us

8 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

good , maybe now average qbs will not look like all pros against us

Or maybe take as indication that a lot of fan complaint against the D was ill judged and uninformed, given that the rest of the league (who you'd hope would know something about football) is going after most of our coaching staff from that side of the ball this year. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DEFENSE said:

i thought our coaching hurt us

I am not one of the believers that our coaching was bad, I think Gannon is a huge loss and means we probably won't get rhodes back because he came here for Gannon. He was also the clear replacement for Eberflus, so now if Eberflus leaves to the texans, who knows who will replace him. I just hope we have somewhere to replenish our position coaches that leave 

27 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I am not one of the believers that our coaching was bad, I think Gannon is a huge loss and means we probably won't get rhodes back because he came here for Gannon. He was also the clear replacement for Eberflus, so now if Eberflus leaves to the texans, who knows who will replace him. I just hope we have somewhere to replenish our position coaches that leave 

new style defense, bring in wade phillips

• Like 1