Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts FAs Workout - a bunch of WRs, a QB and a former 1st rounder


Recommended Posts

  • stitches changed the title to Colts FAs Workout - a bunch of WRs, a QB and a former 1st rounder

Robert Nkemdiche had some problems coming into the NFL, primarily due to bad company outside of football.

 

One of my former college friends from the University of Northern Iowa, told me last week that he has changed a lot in the last year and that he has sought help, so maybe he's on his right track and could become a valuable player for the Colts.

 

His talent is obvious, but it takes a lot to break through in the NFL.

So we could hope he got his private things cleaned up and now wan't to put in the effort.

 

If so, he could be a steal for us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I wouldn’t get too excited about these.  The overwhelming number of players signed from workouts at this time of year end up as camp bodies and that’s it.

The only one that may be more than a camp body/PS player is Nkemdiche.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Shive said:

Brian Lewerke, QB - Absolutely terrible QB that was really mobile, but was subpar in just about every facet of playing QB.
Marcell Ateman, WR - Big, tall WR that would be an ideal RZ or contested catch guy. Hasn't done much yet since being drafted, but he was also with the Raiders so....
Chris Finke, WR - Technically sound slot WR, but is very average athletically, so he could be a consistent safety valve type of guy, but nobody that will be a difference-maker.
Kendrick Murphy, WR - Not familiar, but was 5'11" 170lbs at his pro-day in 2019. Ran a 4.52 40 & 7.39 3-cone. Doesn't seem to have much college production either.
Darius Shepherd, WR - Was the 2nd best rated WR of his draft class by PFF. Was getting rave reviews at Packers training camp and some comparisons to Randall Cobb. Prototypical slot WR that I think would be a good PS signing.
Jordan Suell, WR - 6’6” 205lbs. Based on his own "pro-day" video (due to Covid): 4.49 40-yard time, 37-inch vertical, a 10-foot-4 broadjump, and bench pressing 225 pounds 18 times. Also a guy possibly worth signing to the PS.

Robert Nkemdiche, DT - If he's got his head on straight, could be an absolute STEAL. Dude was a monster in college. He'd fit that Autry mold of being able to play base end on run downs and kick inside on passing downs.


Excellent, concise summaries.  Thank you for taking the time to do this.

 

I agree with your observations/insights.

 

I’ve got a soft spot for Finke.  He’s sneaky athletic.  He ran a 4.57 at the combine despite a lingering hamstring injury.  That’s pretty average, but still slightly quicker than Renfrow.
 

What was impressive was that Finke placed fifth in the vertical jump out of all WRs (nearly matched Claypool).

 

I think he could be a viable backup slot guy and ST depth, and I won’t be surprised when he emerges as a contributor in this league someday.  Just needs to be in the right offense. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, zibby43 said:

I’ve got a soft spot for Finke.  He’s sneaky athletic.  He ran a 4.57 at the combine despite a lingering hamstring injury.  That’s pretty average, but still slightly quicker than Renfrow.

I didn't know about that, so it's definitely a positive that he's even faster than that.

 

16 hours ago, zibby43 said:

What was impressive was that Finke placed fifth in the vertical jump out of all WRs (nearly matched Claypool).

That's really impressive and I think shows up in how explosive his cuts and re-direction can be.

 

16 hours ago, zibby43 said:

I think he could be a viable backup slot guy and ST depth, and I won’t be surprised when he emerges as a contributor in this league someday.  Just needs to be in the right offense. 

Agreed. Athletically, I think he profiles similar to a Griff Whalen, although a bit smaller and not as strong.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it’s worth..... 

 

Back in the day, coming out of college, Robert was 6’4” and 295 and was listed as both a DE and DT.

 

Looks like he’s now put on nearly 20 pounds.  He’s now about 312.   So he’s a DT all the way.  
 

If he’s matured and eliminated all the “distractions” in his life, then I wish him well.  I’d like to see him turn his life around.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2021 at 4:42 PM, Shive said:

Brian Lewerke, QB - Absolutely terrible QB that was really mobile, but was subpar in just about every facet of playing QB.
Marcell Ateman, WR - Big, tall WR that would be an ideal RZ or contested catch guy. Hasn't done much yet since being drafted, but he was also with the Raiders so....
Chris Finke, WR - Technically sound slot WR, but is very average athletically, so he could be a consistent safety valve type of guy, but nobody that will be a difference-maker.
Kendrick Murphy, WR - Not familiar, but was 5'11" 170lbs at his pro-day in 2019. Ran a 4.52 40 & 7.39 3-cone. Doesn't seem to have much college production either.
Darius Shepherd, WR - Was the 2nd best rated WR of his draft class by PFF. Was getting rave reviews at Packers training camp and some comparisons to Randall Cobb. Prototypical slot WR that I think would be a good PS signing.
Jordan Suell, WR - 6’6” 205lbs. Based on his own "pro-day" video (due to Covid): 4.49 40-yard time, 37-inch vertical, a 10-foot-4 broadjump, and bench pressing 225 pounds 18 times. Also a guy possibly worth signing to the PS.

Robert Nkemdiche, DT - If he's got his head on straight, could be an absolute STEAL. Dude was a monster in college. He'd fit that Autry mold of being able to play base end on run downs and kick inside on passing downs.

My thoughts in order of excitement level.

 

Robert Nkemdiche, DT - If he's got his head on straight, could be an absolute STEAL. Dude was a monster in college. He'd fit that Autry mold of being able to play base end on run downs and kick inside on passing downs.

--I know a few parents at his HS and saw him play. His parents were great folks, so his issues still perplex me. Totally a waste of talent if he can't turn things around. I'd take a flyer on him though. If he's seriously trying to turn over a new leaf, Buckner would be a great mentor. I'd also put him on a diet and get him back to his hybrid DT/DE role. Much higher ceiling than Lewis or Windsor compared to who is on the roster. I also like him best as a DE if he can get the weight down. But I'd be fine him playing a tweener/flex role.

 

Darius Shepherd, WR - Was the 2nd best rated WR of his draft class by PFF. Was getting rave reviews at Packers training camp and some comparisons to Randall Cobb. Prototypical slot WR that I think would be a good PS signing.

--I like him as a scrappy slot guy, but not really as a returner. Just not that fast. I'd definitely take him on the PS.

 

Jordan Suell, WR - 6’6” 205lbs. Based on his own "pro-day" video (due to Covid): 4.49 40-yard time, 37-inch vertical, a 10-foot-4 broadjump, and bench pressing 225 pounds 18 times. Also a guy possibly worth signing to the PS.

--Another very long shot.

 

Marcell Ateman, WR - Big, tall WR that would be an ideal RZ or contested catch guy. Hasn't done much yet since being drafted, but he was also with the Raiders so....

--We have a big (Pittman), and a big (Patmon) still on the shelf. If he were good, I think Carr would have found him to be honest. Maybe PS candidate. 


Chris Finke, WR - Technically sound slot WR, but is very average athletically, so he could be a consistent safety valve type of guy, but nobody that will be a difference-maker.

--as a ND homer, love Finke, but he's not NFL level starting caliber, and just not dynamic enough to be a returner. Maybe PS candidate.


Kendrick Murphy, WR - Not familiar, but was 5'11" 170lbs at his pro-day in 2019. Ran a 4.52 40 & 7.39 3-cone. Doesn't seem to have much college production either.

--Small school long shot. Very long...
 

Brian Lewerke, QB - Absolutely terrible QB that was really mobile, but was subpar in just about every facet of playing QB.

--no thanks

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

My thoughts in order of excitement level.

 

Robert Nkemdiche, DT - If he's got his head on straight, could be an absolute STEAL. Dude was a monster in college. He'd fit that Autry mold of being able to play base end on run downs and kick inside on passing downs.

--I know a few parents at his HS and saw him play. His parents were great folks, so his issues still perplex me. Totally a waste of talent if he can't turn things around. I'd take a flyer on him though. If he's seriously trying to turn over a new leaf, Buckner would be a great mentor. I'd also put him on a diet and get him back to his hybrid DT/DE role. Much higher ceiling than Lewis or Windsor compared to who is on the roster. I also like him best as a DE if he can get the weight down. But I'd be fine him playing a tweener/flex role.

 

Darius Shepherd, WR - Was the 2nd best rated WR of his draft class by PFF. Was getting rave reviews at Packers training camp and some comparisons to Randall Cobb. Prototypical slot WR that I think would be a good PS signing.

--I like him as a scrappy slot guy, but not really as a returner. Just not that fast. I'd definitely take him on the PS.

 

Jordan Suell, WR - 6’6” 205lbs. Based on his own "pro-day" video (due to Covid): 4.49 40-yard time, 37-inch vertical, a 10-foot-4 broadjump, and bench pressing 225 pounds 18 times. Also a guy possibly worth signing to the PS.

--Another very long shot.

 

Marcell Ateman, WR - Big, tall WR that would be an ideal RZ or contested catch guy. Hasn't done much yet since being drafted, but he was also with the Raiders so....

--We have a big (Pittman), and a big (Patmon) still on the shelf. If he were good, I think Carr would have found him to be honest. Maybe PS candidate. 


Chris Finke, WR - Technically sound slot WR, but is very average athletically, so he could be a consistent safety valve type of guy, but nobody that will be a difference-maker.

--as a ND homer, love Finke, but he's not NFL level starting caliber, and just not dynamic enough to be a returner. Maybe PS candidate.


Kendrick Murphy, WR - Not familiar, but was 5'11" 170lbs at his pro-day in 2019. Ran a 4.52 40 & 7.39 3-cone. Doesn't seem to have much college production either.

--Small school long shot. Very long...
 

Brian Lewerke, QB - Absolutely terrible QB that was really mobile, but was subpar in just about every facet of playing QB.

--no thanks

Well they worked out Wednesday and now it's Saturday and they signed no one.  It appears the ship has sailed for these guys.  I was hoping they might give Nkemdiche a contract.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Well they worked out Wednesday and now it's Saturday and they signed no one.  It appears the ship has sailed for these guys.  I was hoping they might give Nkemdiche a contract.  

Not sure what the exact rules are between now and Mar15 (legal tampering period), but not sure we can even sign guys  right now to anything but a futures contract. And the guys that typically sign futures are typically fringe folks. Doubt Nkemdiche would sign a futures contract as it's normally a min type situation. He'd likely wait till the start of the league year and bet on himself in FA. Now the others I could see taking a futures deal.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m excited about the possibility of nkemidche. Every big talent like him deserves a chance throughout his career, and it just takes the right environment and coaching. I think he would get that here, and we would get a defensive lineman that could reach their potential with us... He was unbelievable coming out of high school. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Not sure what the exact rules are between now and Mar15 (legal tampering period), but not sure we can even sign guys  right now to anything but a futures contract. And the guys that typically sign futures are typically fringe folks. Doubt Nkemdiche would sign a futures contract as it's normally a min type situation. He'd likely wait till the start of the league year and bet on himself in FA. Now the others I could see taking a futures deal.

 

At this point in his career and after all the blown chances with multiple teams, Nkemdiche should be happy if any team offers a futures contract. If he doesn‘t agree, he has played his last snap in the NFL. It‘s a moot point though since the Colts don‘t appear to be the team that offers him another chance...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PureLuck said:

At this point in his career and after all the blown chances with multiple teams, Nkemdiche should be happy if any team offers a futures contract. If he doesn‘t agree, he has played his last snap in the NFL. It‘s a moot point though since the Colts don‘t appear to be the team that offers him another chance...

IMO if he's turned the corner (behavior and health/weight wise), he'll get picked up somewhere.

I just don't know he's turned the corner. Between arrests, injury, weight, etc., he's got a lot going on. 

I think you'll see him get a lot of looks this off season, so I wouldn't put him in "last snap" category just yet. Seems like he's kept his nose clean (no pun intended) the last year, and has dropped weight. That's a start. I have zero clue how he's rebounded from the injury (IIRC ACL). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2021 at 10:16 PM, zibby43 said:


Excellent, concise summaries.  Thank you for taking the time to do this.

 

I agree with your observations/insights.

 

I’ve got a soft spot for Finke.  He’s sneaky athletic.  He ran a 4.57 at the combine despite a lingering hamstring injury.  That’s pretty average, but still slightly quicker than Renfrow.
 

What was impressive was that Finke placed fifth in the vertical jump out of all WRs (nearly matched Claypool).

 

I think he could be a viable backup slot guy and ST depth, and I won’t be surprised when he emerges as a contributor in this league someday.  Just needs to be in the right offense. 

Sure hands, smart kid. Always thought of him as slippery, sneaky quick. More ND guys the better.:thmup:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • At this point IMO we need to raise the floor for this pass-rush. Right now we are risking being bottom 5 unit in the league next year. If we are going for it we need at least some solid pass-rushers, even if they are not ideal long-term...
    • Jets take Elijah Moore  Falcons up next
    • You're hanging your hat entirely on TDs, and ignoring every other indicator. I prefer Luck's skill set too (and scheme), but he was in a scheme that stressed passing. Watson in a different scheme, yet the majority of his passing stats are still better than Luck's. There's a whole lot of context to consider. JMO. Then factor Watson can stay healthy and doesn't snowboard. 
    • Yeah, PFF doesn't have a time to pressure/sack stat for pass rushers, just for QBs.    Lawson just doesn't fit into my team building ideal. I don't think he's going to live up to whatever he gets, unless he takes an extremely team friendly deal. I'm not thrilled with any of the FA pass rushers, maybe Okwara would be somebody I'd think about long term, but he's nothing special. At least he fits the mold a little better, has more length and a little more wiggle on tape. But I think Turay has the potential to be better than almost every FA edge rusher.    I haven't really analyzed this, but my inclination would be to double down on lower cost veterans along the DL, and hope we can generate more pressure across the entire front. Taking a flier on Von Miller intrigues me, but he's going to want a ton of money. But realistically, I don't see FA as the answer to our pass rush issues in 2021.
  • Members

    • ar7

      ar7 247

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NannyMcafee

      NannyMcafee 1,671

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Tsarquise

      Tsarquise 444

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • BigO

      BigO 53

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Shive

      Shive 1,989

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • PeterBowman

      PeterBowman 1,444

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • 2006Coltsbestever

      2006Coltsbestever 21,943

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • stitches

      stitches 8,064

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • 1959Colts

      1959Colts 1,158

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Misty_B

      Misty_B 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...