Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts FAs Workout - a bunch of WRs, a QB and a former 1st rounder

stitches

• stitches changed the title to Colts FAs Workout - a bunch of WRs, a QB and a former 1st rounder

Robert Nkemdiche had some problems coming into the NFL, primarily due to bad company outside of football.

One of my former college friends from the University of Northern Iowa, told me last week that he has changed a lot in the last year and that he has sought help, so maybe he's on his right track and could become a valuable player for the Colts.

His talent is obvious, but it takes a lot to break through in the NFL.

So we could hope he got his private things cleaned up and now wan't to put in the effort.

If so, he could be a steal for us.

Brian Lewerke, QB - Absolutely terrible QB that was really mobile, but was subpar in just about every facet of playing QB.
Marcell Ateman, WR - Big, tall WR that would be an ideal RZ or contested catch guy. Hasn't done much yet since being drafted, but he was also with the Raiders so....
Chris Finke, WR - Technically sound slot WR, but is very average athletically, so he could be a consistent safety valve type of guy, but nobody that will be a difference-maker.
Kendrick Murphy, WR - Not familiar, but was 5'11" 170lbs at his pro-day in 2019. Ran a 4.52 40 & 7.39 3-cone. Doesn't seem to have much college production either.
Darius Shepherd, WR - Was the 2nd best rated WR of his draft class by PFF. Was getting rave reviews at Packers training camp and some comparisons to Randall Cobb. Prototypical slot WR that I think would be a good PS signing.
Jordan Suell, WR - 6’6” 205lbs. Based on his own "pro-day" video (due to Covid): 4.49 40-yard time, 37-inch vertical, a 10-foot-4 broadjump, and bench pressing 225 pounds 18 times. Also a guy possibly worth signing to the PS.

Robert Nkemdiche, DT - If he's got his head on straight, could be an absolute STEAL. Dude was a monster in college. He'd fit that Autry mold of being able to play base end on run downs and kick inside on passing downs.

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I wouldn’t get too excited about these.  The overwhelming number of players signed from workouts at this time of year end up as camp bodies and that’s it.

The only one that may be more than a camp body/PS player is Nkemdiche.

5 hours ago, Shive said:

Brian Lewerke, QB - Absolutely terrible QB that was really mobile, but was subpar in just about every facet of playing QB.
Marcell Ateman, WR - Big, tall WR that would be an ideal RZ or contested catch guy. Hasn't done much yet since being drafted, but he was also with the Raiders so....
Chris Finke, WR - Technically sound slot WR, but is very average athletically, so he could be a consistent safety valve type of guy, but nobody that will be a difference-maker.
Kendrick Murphy, WR - Not familiar, but was 5'11" 170lbs at his pro-day in 2019. Ran a 4.52 40 & 7.39 3-cone. Doesn't seem to have much college production either.
Darius Shepherd, WR - Was the 2nd best rated WR of his draft class by PFF. Was getting rave reviews at Packers training camp and some comparisons to Randall Cobb. Prototypical slot WR that I think would be a good PS signing.
Jordan Suell, WR - 6’6” 205lbs. Based on his own "pro-day" video (due to Covid): 4.49 40-yard time, 37-inch vertical, a 10-foot-4 broadjump, and bench pressing 225 pounds 18 times. Also a guy possibly worth signing to the PS.

Robert Nkemdiche, DT - If he's got his head on straight, could be an absolute STEAL. Dude was a monster in college. He'd fit that Autry mold of being able to play base end on run downs and kick inside on passing downs.

Excellent, concise summaries.  Thank you for taking the time to do this.

I agree with your observations/insights.

I’ve got a soft spot for Finke.  He’s sneaky athletic.  He ran a 4.57 at the combine despite a lingering hamstring injury.  That’s pretty average, but still slightly quicker than Renfrow.

What was impressive was that Finke placed fifth in the vertical jump out of all WRs (nearly matched Claypool).

I think he could be a viable backup slot guy and ST depth, and I won’t be surprised when he emerges as a contributor in this league someday.  Just needs to be in the right offense. 

16 hours ago, zibby43 said:

I’ve got a soft spot for Finke.  He’s sneaky athletic.  He ran a 4.57 at the combine despite a lingering hamstring injury.  That’s pretty average, but still slightly quicker than Renfrow.

I didn't know about that, so it's definitely a positive that he's even faster than that.

What was impressive was that Finke placed fifth in the vertical jump out of all WRs (nearly matched Claypool).

That's really impressive and I think shows up in how explosive his cuts and re-direction can be.

I think he could be a viable backup slot guy and ST depth, and I won’t be surprised when he emerges as a contributor in this league someday.  Just needs to be in the right offense. 

Agreed. Athletically, I think he profiles similar to a Griff Whalen, although a bit smaller and not as strong.

For what it’s worth..... 

Back in the day, coming out of college, Robert was 6’4” and 295 and was listed as both a DE and DT.

Looks like he’s now put on nearly 20 pounds.  He’s now about 312.   So he’s a DT all the way.  

If he’s matured and eliminated all the “distractions” in his life, then I wish him well.  I’d like to see him turn his life around.  

On 1/21/2021 at 4:42 PM, Shive said:

My thoughts in order of excitement level.

--I know a few parents at his HS and saw him play. His parents were great folks, so his issues still perplex me. Totally a waste of talent if he can't turn things around. I'd take a flyer on him though. If he's seriously trying to turn over a new leaf, Buckner would be a great mentor. I'd also put him on a diet and get him back to his hybrid DT/DE role. Much higher ceiling than Lewis or Windsor compared to who is on the roster. I also like him best as a DE if he can get the weight down. But I'd be fine him playing a tweener/flex role.

--I like him as a scrappy slot guy, but not really as a returner. Just not that fast. I'd definitely take him on the PS.

--Another very long shot.

--We have a big (Pittman), and a big (Patmon) still on the shelf. If he were good, I think Carr would have found him to be honest. Maybe PS candidate. 

--as a ND homer, love Finke, but he's not NFL level starting caliber, and just not dynamic enough to be a returner. Maybe PS candidate.

--Small school long shot. Very long...

--no thanks

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

My thoughts in order of excitement level.

--I know a few parents at his HS and saw him play. His parents were great folks, so his issues still perplex me. Totally a waste of talent if he can't turn things around. I'd take a flyer on him though. If he's seriously trying to turn over a new leaf, Buckner would be a great mentor. I'd also put him on a diet and get him back to his hybrid DT/DE role. Much higher ceiling than Lewis or Windsor compared to who is on the roster. I also like him best as a DE if he can get the weight down. But I'd be fine him playing a tweener/flex role.

--I like him as a scrappy slot guy, but not really as a returner. Just not that fast. I'd definitely take him on the PS.

--Another very long shot.

--We have a big (Pittman), and a big (Patmon) still on the shelf. If he were good, I think Carr would have found him to be honest. Maybe PS candidate. 

--as a ND homer, love Finke, but he's not NFL level starting caliber, and just not dynamic enough to be a returner. Maybe PS candidate.

--Small school long shot. Very long...

--no thanks

Well they worked out Wednesday and now it's Saturday and they signed no one.  It appears the ship has sailed for these guys.  I was hoping they might give Nkemdiche a contract.  

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Well they worked out Wednesday and now it's Saturday and they signed no one.  It appears the ship has sailed for these guys.  I was hoping they might give Nkemdiche a contract.  

Not sure what the exact rules are between now and Mar15 (legal tampering period), but not sure we can even sign guys  right now to anything but a futures contract. And the guys that typically sign futures are typically fringe folks. Doubt Nkemdiche would sign a futures contract as it's normally a min type situation. He'd likely wait till the start of the league year and bet on himself in FA. Now the others I could see taking a futures deal.

I’m excited about the possibility of nkemidche. Every big talent like him deserves a chance throughout his career, and it just takes the right environment and coaching. I think he would get that here, and we would get a defensive lineman that could reach their potential with us... He was unbelievable coming out of high school. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Not sure what the exact rules are between now and Mar15 (legal tampering period), but not sure we can even sign guys  right now to anything but a futures contract. And the guys that typically sign futures are typically fringe folks. Doubt Nkemdiche would sign a futures contract as it's normally a min type situation. He'd likely wait till the start of the league year and bet on himself in FA. Now the others I could see taking a futures deal.

At this point in his career and after all the blown chances with multiple teams, Nkemdiche should be happy if any team offers a futures contract. If he doesn‘t agree, he has played his last snap in the NFL. It‘s a moot point though since the Colts don‘t appear to be the team that offers him another chance...

2 minutes ago, PureLuck said:

At this point in his career and after all the blown chances with multiple teams, Nkemdiche should be happy if any team offers a futures contract. If he doesn‘t agree, he has played his last snap in the NFL. It‘s a moot point though since the Colts don‘t appear to be the team that offers him another chance...

IMO if he's turned the corner (behavior and health/weight wise), he'll get picked up somewhere.

I just don't know he's turned the corner. Between arrests, injury, weight, etc., he's got a lot going on. 

I think you'll see him get a lot of looks this off season, so I wouldn't put him in "last snap" category just yet. Seems like he's kept his nose clean (no pun intended) the last year, and has dropped weight. That's a start. I have zero clue how he's rebounded from the injury (IIRC ACL). 

On 1/21/2021 at 10:16 PM, zibby43 said:

Excellent, concise summaries.  Thank you for taking the time to do this.

I agree with your observations/insights.

Sure hands, smart kid. Always thought of him as slippery, sneaky quick. More ND guys the better.:thmup:

Archived