Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

BProland's Offseason prediction (Post Rivers retirement)

I'm starting to believe Ballard will either trade a 3rd round pick for Stafford if he becomes available from the new regime in Detroit, or he will sign QB Andy Dalton to a 1-2 year deal, around 5 mil per season, as his bridge QB for Jacob Eason, if the front office and coaching staff believe in him, which I think they do. They may also bring back Brissett on a team friendly contract. Something like 2 years, 7 mil.

I could also see Ballard bringing in a somewhat prominent DE in free agency to replace either Autry or Houston, whoever he lets walk. (Someone like Carl Lawson or Bud Dupree comes to mind.) 

Among their other high profile players to hit free agency, I could see bringing back Hilton and Rhodes on short term deals worth approximately 8-10 mil per season. 

Then in the draft they will focus on finding their longterm LT, finding a backup swing OT in the middle rounds, and adding young talent at CB, WR, and DE.

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

I'm starting to believe Ballard will either trade a 3rd round pick for Stafford if he becomes available from the new regime in Detroit, or he will sign QB Andy Dalton to a 1-2 year deal, around 5 mil per season, as his bridge QB for Jacob Eason, if the front office and coaching staff believe in him, which I think they do. They may also bring back Brissett on a team friendly contract. Something like 2 years, 7 mil.

I could also see Ballard bringing in a somewhat prominent DE in free agency to replace either Autry or Houston, whoever he lets walk. (Someone like Carl Lawson or Bud Dupree comes to mind.) 

Among their other high profile players to hit free agency, I could see bringing back Hilton and Rhodes on short term deals worth approximately 8-10 mil per season. 

Then in the draft they will focus on finding their longterm LT, finding a backup swing OT in the middle rounds, and adding young talent at CB, WR, and DE.

Stafford isn't going anywhere for a #3.    Not even to Jack in the Box.

It's going to cost much more than that.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yep, a first rounder and then a 2nd/3rd is what it might take, based on what Carson Palmer fetched from the Raiders for the Bengals as a 31 year old QB. You could say 33 is the new 31, based on how long QBs are playing now.

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Tannehill was in a very simliar situation with Miami before Tennessee got him for a 4th round pick. 

15 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Tannehill was in a very simliar situation with Miami before Tennessee got him for a 4th round pick. 

Not the same. Tannehill was going to the Titans as a back up to Mariota, coming off his rookie contract. It just so happened that he eventually replaced Mariota as a starter. Stafford is an established starter for several more years than Tannehill was, who will be traded for becoming a clear cut starter.

Just now, richard pallo said:

A 3rd rounder for Stafford.  I can't believe you think that.  It's going to take a lot more than that.  For sure a 1st and then more.    They only have five picks this year.  They are not going to give him away for a 3rd.  Not happening! 

I agree it is going to take our 1st rounder this year and maybe a 3rd next year.

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Not the same. Tannehill was going to the Titans as a back up to Mariota, coming off his rookie contract. It just so happened that he eventually replaced Mariota as a starter. Stafford is an established starter for several more years than Tannehill was, who will be traded for becoming a clear cut starter.

Tannehill was an established starter in Miami as well. Both Tannehill and Stafford were QBs who didn't really get their teams to the playoffs, which is why Miami was fine with trading him, and why Detroit could be on board with dealing Stafford for a decent pick since they are clearly rebuilding. Plus Stafford won't want to be a part of a rebuilding team. 

Just now, BProland85 said:

Tannehill was an established starter in Miami as well. Both Tannehill and Stafford were QBs who didn't really get their teams to the playoffs, which is why Miami was fine with trading him, and why Detroit could be on board with dealing Stafford for a decent pick since they are clearly rebuilding. Plus Stafford won't want to be a part of a rebuilding team. 

Again, you are the ONLY person who thinks on this board Stafford could be had for a 3rd rounder. All of us believe it is going to take at least a 1st rounder. I will leave it at that.

Just now, chad72 said:

Again, you are the ONLY person who thinks on this board Stafford could be had for a 3rd rounder. All of us believe it is going to take at least a 1st rounder. I will leave it at that.

But when you have a QB who most likely wants out, and a front office who is rebuilding from the ground up, you don't have a ton of leverage to get a ton of draft capital in return. Not to mention Stafford is 33 when the season starts. It's not like he is a young 26 year old QB who is on the cusp of stardom. 

I'll just conclude by saying I think it would be a mistake giving away a 1st rounder for a guy who will probably only be with the team for 2-3 years most likely. Ballard and company want to see what Eason can do, which is what I'm hearing when they feel he is ready. 

Just now, BProland85 said:

But when you have a QB who most likely wants out, and a front office who is rebuilding from the ground up, you don't have a ton of leverage to get a ton of draft capital in return. Not to mention Stafford is 33 when the season starts. It's not like he is a young 26 year old QB who is on the cusp of stardom. 

I'll just conclude by saying I think it would be a mistake giving away a 1st rounder for a guy who will probably only be with the team for 2-3 years most likely. Ballard and company want to see what Eason can do, which is what I'm hearing when they feel he is ready. 

These are all assumptions on our part. We know none of that has happened. Stafford hasn't said a single thing, and the front office, like when Pagano and Grigson got together at the beginning of 2012 before Luck was drafted, is getting their feet wet. They would be first deciding all their coaches and evaluating the talent in depth first. 

I've come around on Dalton.  I think we're going to sign Dalton to a two-year contract and use the #21 pick on a QB.  It's the best we can do in our present situation without mortgaging our future.  Personally, I think people are selling Kyle Trask short right now.  Yeah, he's never going to be a runner, but he's great at moving around in the pocket and he has great short- to medium-range ball placement.  He's smart and has character/intangibles that Ballard will love.  I see him being well worth our first round pick...

5 minutes ago, Archer said:

I've come around on Dalton.  I think we're going to sign Dalton to a two-year contract and use the #21 pick on a QB.  It's the best we can do in our present situation without mortgaging our future.  Personally, I think people are selling Kyle Trask short right now.  Yeah, he's never going to be a runner, but he's great at moving around in the pocket and he has great short- to medium-range ball placement.  He's smart and has character/intangibles that Ballard will love.  I see him being well worth our first round pick...

I suppose that's possible, but I gotta say, the fans reaction (me included) would range from skeptical to outraged because we're a Dalton away 7-9 or so. No upside to doing that. Just hanging out, waiting on CB to decide he likes a QB. If I start exploring this..

Can't really judge Trask, some positives are there, but... I'm not really any more convinced that's the move than Eason is. 

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

I suppose that's possible, but I gotta say, the fans reaction (me included) would range from skeptical to outraged because we're a Dalton away 7-9 or so. No upside to doing that. Just hanging out, waiting on CB to decide he likes a QB. If I start exploring this..

Can't really judge Trask, some positives are there, but... I'm not really any more convinced that's the move than Eason is. 

I am no to Dalton, I just don't even think we make the playoffs with him. 9-7 at best if he stays healthy.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

A 1st this year and a 3rd next season may do it depending on what direction they want to go. If we trade our 1st this year for him, Ballard still has picks 2-7 and we have at least a QB that can get us to the playoffs.

You have to understand who Brad Holmes is, the Detroit GM.

Holmes was the Los Angeles Rams' college scouting director and helped run their drafts. He helped the Rams draft Aaron Donald, Todd Gurley and Jared Goff.  Holmes does not have pro personnel background. Bob Quinn, who the Lions fired in November, had a pro personnel background. He is not Les Snead who gave up a first rounder for Brandin Cooks, and gave up all those picks for Jalen Ramsey but Brad was with them while all that unfolded. He is a first time GM and we don't know his GM tendencies. 

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Good example...   appreciate it.

But here’s the deal.   The broader NFL community was down on Tannehill at the time.  Props to Tennessee for spotting his talent when no one else did. 

But Stafford has been a very good quarterback stuck in a bad franchise since the day he was drafted.  Lots of people have coveted him.   NFL people drool for Stafford.  No one has ever drooled for Tannehill. 

If Detroit says they’re willing to move him, they will get multiple offers better than a single #3. 

5 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Tell ya what, @BProland85, I'll go ahead and be the only guy on the forums to stand with you.  At least in this:  Stafford is dreaming of the heady days when he used to throw to Megatron, and actually won games.  He probably is not looking all that forward to wasting his final years in the NFL on a team that's rebuilding, and has no hope for playoff success.  As for the Lions front office, Stafford is going to hamper their rebuilding efforts because he counts waaaay too much against their cap.  So...  they'll talk.  No, I don't think offering a #3 will do it.  And they're probably going to ask for a #1 plus more.  But if you offer a #2, at least that will get negotiations started.  A #2 plus what?  A #3?  Next year's #2?  A player or two that are still on their cheap rookie contracts and still have some upside?  I think it can be done without surrendering our #1.

Jimmy G could be available, Ryan may be available. Stafford would cost our #1 and #3 this year and a #2 next year. If you think that's high there's more than a few teams that would be interested. I still think Winston is going to be a great QB in this league.  I woild like to see us package our #1 and #2 with next years #2 and move up to pick BYU's starting QB, he's going to be a good one.

On 1/21/2021 at 11:33 AM, BProland85 said:

I'm starting to believe Ballard will either trade a 3rd round pick for Stafford

I don’t think this is so far fetched as others.  No one here knows what he will go for.  There have been countless times a team has been expected to get a ton of pick for trading a player and then it turns out to be a lot less. Sometimes a player is shopped and then released for nothing.  

manning got us nothing.  Faulk a 2 and a 5 when Rb was a premium position. 

if det is known by the rest of the nfl to be drafting a qb then the other teams will send low offers.  And I think nfl teams usually have a good idea of what others are doing. 

I like Stafford as one of the many options, but it would probably take your first round pick

(maybe they would go for 2 2nds)

IMHO Dalton doesnt have a future in this league more than a backup

I would MUCH rather take a chance on Stafford and 2ndly Winston over Dalton, as Winston with the "QB  Whisperer" Reich as well as his time this year listening to S. Payton and getting tips from Brees he may be  ready to move forward as a better than average QB 

He put up 456 yards and 4 touchdowns on us 2019 (The only game I attended in person)

(he did throw 3 picks)  

If the coaching would put a more conservative approach and use the run to set up play action, and deep routes, AND

teach him to throw the ball away, he could be a great VERY CHEAP pickup

Archived