Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Crazy Idea for a Mock

I don't do as much salary cap and draft choice value research as many of you do.  I guess I'm just too lazy.

But I've been tossing around an idea, and I don't know if it makes sense with all the numbers.  Let me know if I'm crazy.

#1 - Trade our 2nd round pick and DE Ben Banogu to Detroit for QB Matthew Stafford (throw in Rock Ya-Sin if they don't bite)

#2 - Trade down with our 1st round pick and pick up a 2nd round.  With those two picks, select Liam Eichenberg, OT, Notre Dame and Jaelan Phillips, DE, Miami (in either order)

#3 - With our 3rd pick select Israel Mukuamu, CB, South Carolina

#4 - Re-sign free agents TY Hilton, Justin Houston, Denico Autry, Xavier Rhodes, Travis Carrie, Trey Burton, Zach Pascal, Moe Allie-Cox, George Odom, and Anthony Walker (if he agrees to)

#5 - Do not re-sign Jacoby Brissett, Malik Hooker, LaRaven Clark, Chaz Green, or Marlon Mack (sad, I know)

#6 - Threaten Marvell Tell with a hot poker to make sure he plays in the 2021 season

Does this look crazy?  Does this work?  Would you root for this team?  Is this team even possible?

35 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I don't do as much salary cap and draft choice value research as many of you do.  I guess I'm just too lazy.

But I've been tossing around an idea, and I don't know if it makes sense with all the numbers.  Let me know if I'm crazy.

#1 - Trade our 2nd round pick and DE Ben Banogu to Detroit for QB Matthew Stafford (throw in Rock Ya-Sin if they don't bite)

#2 - Trade down with our 1st round pick and pick up a 2nd round.  With those two picks, select Liam Eichenberg, OT, Notre Dame and Jaelan Phillips, DE, Miami (in either order)

#3 - With our 3rd pick select Israel Mukuamu, CB, South Carolina

#4 - Re-sign free agents TY Hilton, Justin Houston, Denico Autry, Xavier Rhodes, Travis Carrie, Trey Burton, Zach Pascal, Moe Allie-Cox, George Odom, and Anthony Walker (if he agrees to)

#5 - Do not re-sign Jacoby Brissett, Malik Hooker, LaRaven Clark, Chaz Green, or Marlon Mack (sad, I know)

#6 - Threaten Marvell Tell with a hot poker to make sure he plays in the 2021 season

Does this look crazy?  Does this work?  Would you root for this team?  Is this team even possible?

There is 0% chance Lions accept that deal so yea crazy 

42 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

There is 0% chance Lions accept that deal so yea crazy 

Oh, I don't know.  It amounts to three 2nd round picks for a 33 year old quarterback who's gonna count a butt load against their cap, and doesn't want to be there anyway. They might bite?

*butt load is a barrel measurement for wine.  just in case the censors object.

1 minute ago, John Hammonds said:

Oh, I don't know.  It amounts to three 2nd round picks for a 33 year old quarterback who's gonna count a butt load against their cap, and doesn't want to be there anyway. They might bite?

*butt load is a barrel measurement for wine.  just in case the censors object.

High quality starting QBs will net you a 1 fir starters. 

Chances are this will get it done 

21 1 and 22 3

Did I miss something about Stafford? Did he come out and say I do not want to be here. I mean I know Watson did but did Stafford? Everyone assumes this trade is a done deal (with pointlessly low expectations on a trade) and yet Dan Campbell said he wants Stafford and would not get rid of him. Outside of maybe salary cap why would they get rid of him? 

As for this scenario... a 2nd rounder and two players you don’t like and they would why? Ben was a healthy scratch majority of the year so that means no value. 

4 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Did I miss something about Stafford? Did he come out and say I do not want to be here. I mean I know Watson did but did Stafford? Everyone assumes this trade is a done deal (with pointlessly low expectations on a trade) and yet Dan Campbell said he wants Stafford and would not get rid of him. Outside of maybe salary cap why would they get rid of him? 

As for this scenario... a 2nd rounder and two players you don’t like and they would why? Ben was a healthy scratch majority of the year so that means no value. 

Bad franchise.   New GM, new HC,  7th overall pick.   The assumption is they might be looking for a fresh start, a new beginning. 

So trade your asset and collect more picks.  

Of course, they might choose to try to build around Stafford.   No way to know?   But I’m not aware that Stafford has asked for a trade or the front office has decided one way or another. 

Would be happy with Stafford except he will cost us a #1 which we cannot afford to give up for a 33 year old QB. I think Darnold would be cheaper and he is younger.  Stafford is the better - more reliable QB but I think Darnold can  up his game if put in the right system and have REich as a coach. I am not sure we can afford to trade up for a QB in 1st round. We still need a LT, CB, EDGE Rusher, and TE. some of that will need to come out of FA market but we do need to have a draft where we can add talent to the roster

I think there's a decent chance lions trade Stafford since they have #7 overall to replace him. I think it would take more than our 2nd rounder though plus players they probably not interested in like the OP suggested. 

Once Stafford is known to be on the market, a bidding war may happen and a 1st rounder would probably be offered for him.

Plus if Wentz is off the board, that makes Stafford more desirable and expensive to get.

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Bad franchise.   New GM, new HC,  7th overall pick.   The assumption is they might be looking for a fresh start, a new beginning. 

So trade your asset and collect more picks.  

Of course, they might choose to try to build around Stafford.   No way to know?   But I’m not aware that Stafford has asked for a trade or the front office has decided one way or another. 

I understand they aren’t the best franchise and with a new GM you could think to move him but again many posters assume they can lend this trade for a pack of gum (sarcasm clearly) and that doesn’t make sense. Plus people keep saying he wants out which is what I was referring to. Haven’t seen anything about him saying that. 

Archived