Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll - QB Preference (now that PR has officially retired) (merge)

EastStreet

Poll - QB Preference  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

• Roll with Eason
    • Roll with JB
    • Unlock the Swag
    • Sign FA Fitzmagic
    • Sign FA Winston
    • Sign FA Trubisky
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Trade our 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up earlier in the 2nd to draft Trask
    • Use our 2nd round pick to draft Newman
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Stafford
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Carr
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Wentz
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Darnold
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Tua
    • Mortgage the future biggly, and trade our next three first round picks and next two to three 2nd round picks to get Watson.
    • Other - please list
  2. 2. Would you have preferred Rivers stayed one more year?

3. 3. How much faith and confidence do you have in Ballard to make the right call on QB?

• Blind faith, I have a picture of him in my house that I worship daily
    • Pretty confident
    • Not sure right now
    • Not a lot, but hoping for the best
    • Zero confidence

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2021 at 02:03 AM

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

Just goes to show success could be found even at 21

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Colts drafted someone at 21 and they had a better overall career than Lawrence 

Like Russell Wilson(3rd round) and Luck(#1).

As I've said before, round doesn't matter, being put in the right system with right coaching and willingness to put in the work is where success comes from. Is at least the foundation for it.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Not sure I trust him yet on the QB position.

Rivers had a bounce-back year from throwing 20 interceptions in his final Chargers season by completing 67.9% of his passes for 4,169 yards and 24 touchdowns with 11 interceptions for the Colts. The completion percentage is the second-highest for a season in Colts history.

I'll go ahead and trust him.

If I were the GM, I would be making a call to Seattle to see what the price for Russell Wilson would be. Russ is a proven winner in this league and he is still young enough that a trade of multiple picks would be worth it. You put Wilson on the Colts and we are probably predicted to be the #2 team behind KC in the AFC.

My 2nd choice would be to try and sign Jameis Winston. Sean Payton is already on record saying they want Winston back in New Orleans. The Colts should be able to offer more money than the Saints because of New Orleans current cap position. I trust the opinion of a Super Bowl winning coach. I would rather have Winston over Wentz, Darnold, Trubisky, Brissett, or any of the other realistic choices.(I don't think that Dak, Watson, or Russ are real options) 

1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

Rivers had a bounce-back year from throwing 20 interceptions in his final Chargers season by completing 67.9% of his passes for 4,169 yards and 24 touchdowns with 11 interceptions for the Colts. The completion percentage is the second-highest for a season in Colts history.

All In Meme GIF

14 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

That wasn’t what i meant. I am talking about him having the guts to go get a very good QB. Not just being satisfied with a functional Qb.

24 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

If I were the GM, I would be making a call to Seattle to see what the price for Russell Wilson would be. Russ is a proven winner in this league and he is still young enough that a trade of multiple picks would be worth it. You put Wilson on the Colts and we are probably predicted to be the #2 team behind KC in the AFC.

My 2nd choice would be to try and sign Jameis Winston. Sean Payton is already on record saying they want Winston back in New Orleans. The Colts should be able to offer more money than the Saints because of New Orleans current cap position. I trust the opinion of a Super Bowl winning coach. I would rather have Winston over Wentz, Darnold, Trubisky, Brissett, or any of the other realistic choices.(I don't think that Dak, Watson, or Russ are real options) 

Im not a fan of mr 30

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Thinking out loud and about Reich in particular.  We know he got his man Rivers last year.  We think we kicked the tires on Stafford but that got too pricey.  And we know Wentz is now Reich's number one target this year.  Assuming the Wentz trade does not go down who do you think would be Reich's second choice for this year?  No pie in the sky Watson or Wilson stuff.  But a QB that Ballard would be willing to trade for if Reich thought he could be the catalyst for another SB run.  The team is ready to make a run now who would be the next man up on Reich's list? Ballard got him Rivers and tried for Wentz.  Who's next?  

of the QBs that, to date, are actually available--which currently excludes Ryan, Darnold and Carr--I assume Reich wants Wentz (likely more than Ballard does IMO). I suppose FR might also feel he could do a similar rehab job on Trubisky as a fallback. I'm not excited by the prospect of either one, but at least Trubisky wouldn't cost any major draft capital and hasn't been as seriously injured as Wentz already has. And presumably could be signed for less $$$ than Wentz's contract.

I hope CB holds firm on his Wentz offer, but my perspective is probably less optimistic than most Colt fans--I don't think the team is truly in a "Super Bowl window" yet, at least not without filling several major holes besides QB. And it's unlikely all those holes can be filled w/ one free agency period and one draft.

From a statistical and a financial standpoint, the UFA QB who had in some respects the best season and might cost the least is actually Fitzpatrick. I can't see a scenario where Ballard would pursue him unless he and Reich are now convinced Eason can be the guy long-term and just needs a season backing up a "mentor" like Fitz. FWIW he would come cheaper than either Wentz or Trubisky and thus leave Ballard more room to pursue additional UFAs. But Ballard and Reich would really have to be sold on Eason for something like that to happen and, at least publicly, there's been no indication that they are.

If Ryan became available he might be the best short-term answer but it would eat up a lot of cap space. If Carr became available he might be the best mid-to-long term answer but it would eat up a lot of draft capital. I've seen enough of Darnold to be convinced he would be, at best, a pretty high-maintenance project, like Wentz but with a lower potential ceiling IMO. If someone wants to give up a 1st rounder for him, so be it, but I really hope it wouldn't be Ballard.

IIRC Wentz is owed a $10 Mil roster bonus sometime fairly soon, so I'd expect some kind of movement before then--unless Howie has to swallow hard and keep him in 2021, while pretending he "stood firm" in not accepting any "unfair" offers from other GMs in the league. Spinners gonna spin......

1 minute ago, chickenMan said:

If I’m Ballard, I would closely monitor the Russ situation, and reach out to see what the starting bid would be. Wouldn’t hurt to ask, and maybe the Seahawks could be duped for a cheap deal...you never know....

I love Russ but hes gonna cost too much 

3 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Im not a fan of mr 30

I don't know who you mean by mr 30.

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Is that Jameis?

Not sure how he would fit into the Colt culture

Sean Payton seems to be pretty high on the guy. At some point you have to trust the leadership and culture that you have been building to help influence guys who may not initially look like fits. I trust a guy who has won a Super Bowl and been to another. If Sean Payton thinks that Jameis is up to the task of replacing a legend like Brees in New Orleans then I think he is someone that definitely deserves a second look.

1 minute ago, chickenMan said:

If I’m Ballard, I would closely monitor the Russ situation, and reach out to see what the starting bid would be. Wouldn’t hurt to ask, and maybe the Seahawks could be duped for a cheap deal...you never know....

They won't be duped for a cheap deal. Bill Obrien isn't their gm

8 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I love Russ but hes gonna cost too much 

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. I would rather trade multiple picks acquire Russ than to trade for Matt Ryan, Carson Wentz, Sam Darnold or to move up in the draft. Odds are it will take almost as much to move up in the draft to get one of the top5 QB's as it would for Russ. I would rather take the proven winner than the potential winner. Russ is a top 5 QB in the league. That's better than Wentz, Ryan, Darnold, and any of the QB's not named Trevor Lawrence in this draft. QB is the most valued position in the sport and the Colts are going to have to pay a premium for it if we are wanting to do more than the staus quo. 

11 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

I don't know who you mean by mr 30.

Sean Payton seems to be pretty high on the guy. At some point you have to trust the leadership and culture that you have been building to help influence guys who may not initially look like fits. I trust a guy who has won a Super Bowl and been to another. If Sean Payton thinks that Jameis is up to the task of replacing a legend like Brees in New Orleans then I think he is someone that definitely deserves a second look.

Sean Payton didn't play Jamies when Brees was hurt this season.   That's how confident he is in him

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I would still not be for trading for Wilson

Watson is younger and would be worth the amount given up.

Wilson would not IMO 

Just now, richard pallo said:

Not surprised at all especially considering our success at trading with the Jets in the past.  

Jets can have all our scrubs for Darnold. 

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Sean Payton didn't play Jamies when Brees was hurt this season.   That's how confident he is in him

Not everything is black and white. Winston had almost 2 million in playing time incentives in his contract this year.  Taysom Hill had also signed an extension for 16 million guaranteed. Perhaps the Saints wanted to see if he could actually handle being a starter. The Saints also saw their backup QB from the year before perform well replacing Brees and end up on a division rival this year. Another reason Payton might have gone with Hill over Winston is because in Covid year Hill had actual experience in Payton's system where Winston had not. Sean Payton is on the record saying the Saints want Jameis back. I would bet that if he is brought back that he is the starter in New Orleans next year.

Archived