Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll - QB Preference (now that PR has officially retired) (merge)

EastStreet

Poll - QB Preference  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

• Roll with Eason
    • Roll with JB
    • Unlock the Swag
    • Sign FA Fitzmagic
    • Sign FA Winston
    • Sign FA Trubisky
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Trade our 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up earlier in the 2nd to draft Trask
    • Use our 2nd round pick to draft Newman
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Stafford
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Carr
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Wentz
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Darnold
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Tua
    • Mortgage the future biggly, and trade our next three first round picks and next two to three 2nd round picks to get Watson.
    • Other - please list
  2. 2. Would you have preferred Rivers stayed one more year?

3. 3. How much faith and confidence do you have in Ballard to make the right call on QB?

• Blind faith, I have a picture of him in my house that I worship daily
    • Pretty confident
    • Not sure right now
    • Not a lot, but hoping for the best
    • Zero confidence

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2021 at 02:03 AM

4 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I wish we knew who the team it was where the coach/staff member noticed Eason throwing before a game and asked who he was?  Did we have any joint practices this year or would it have had to been an opponent from the season?  I wonder if Eason could be part of a package in a potential trade up?

Makes me wonder about the other coaching staff if they didn’t know who JE was

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My issue with trading up for a rookie QB, is it is essentially wasting the Eason pick as well.

If someone falls to draft slot or we trade back get more picks and select a QB, fine let them compete with Eason and give our self a better shot of having the long term QB answer on the team.(2 better than 1)

No veteran if we do that though, because it will just do the same as this year. Not allow us to evaluate what we have.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

My issue with trading up for a rookie QB, is it is essentially wasting the Eason pick as well.

If someone falls to draft slot or we trade back get more picks and select a QB, fine let them compete with Eason and give our self a better shot of having the long term QB answer on the team.(2 better than 1)

No veteran if we do that though, because it will just do the same as this year. Not allow us to evaluate what we have.

The only thing I disagree with is that you bring in a vet as a mentor/safety blanket to Eason/QB TBA

6 minutes ago, w87r said:

And we know Ballard is looking at veterans so I'm thinking that is his 1st choice and let Eason develop and see what we have in him. 

11 minutes ago, w87r said:

I don’t think it’s a waste.  Let’s say we draft Fields or Wilson.  Frank Reich was a lifetime backup.  Not every QB is meant to be a starter in the NFL.  If either beats out Eason it gives us a solid young backup who could be a great help in the QB room.  Plus he could play if needed in an emergency.  If he shows flashes, then we could still pull a Patriot move and trade him and recoup the pick.  If he takes the job & runs with it like Brady, then we trade one of the others for an even bigger recoupment.  From the games I’ve watched of all 3, I don’t think Eason is on the level of Fields or Wilson.  But we’ll never know until they’re all thrown into the deep end to see if they sink or swim. 

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Bears have a bad oline. Wentz will get killed there. Nagy and pace are on their last chance. Would be stupid to go all out with him.

That’s exactly the time to go all out if you’re Nagy or Pace.  Their jobs are on the line.  They desperately need a QB that they think can win now.  All they may have is next season.  Time to go all in from their perspectives. The ownership could think differently though. 

4 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The only thing I disagree with is that you bring in a vet as a mentor/safety blanket to Eason/QB TBA

A vet is fine, to mentor, but can't steal reps.

Would need to see as much as possible from Eason/ and rookie of that is the route we go.

Maybe Alex Smith could be brought in a 3rd stringer and mentor? 

Something like that could make sense, but anyone stealing reps at that point(Eason/rookie QB) just leaves us a clueless on what we have in our other QB.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

A vet is fine, to mentor, but can't steal reps.

Would need to see as much as possible from Eason/ and rookie of that is the route we go.

Maybe Alex Smith could be brought in a 3rd stringer and mentor? 

Something like that could make sense, but anyone stealing reps at that point(Eason/rookie QB) just leaves us a clueless on what we have in our other QB.

Practice reps is what JE and the brain trust needs to see

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

ESPN reporting the Eagles are trading Wentz “soon”.    Top two candidates said to be Bears and Colts.

No trade details yet...  

please be  Da Bears!

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

ESPN reporting the Eagles are trading Wentz “soon”.    Top two candidates said to be Bears and Colts.

No trade details yet...  

crap, I’m fresh out of Bourbon... 

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

Practice reps is what JE and the brain trust needs to see

Which he won't see enough of, if we draft a QB and sign a vet.

Im all for a vet if we don't draft a QB, in fact it's a necessity, clearly. 

Only so many reps to go around. 2 young guys splitting reps with vet, leaves 2 young guys not getting the reps needed 1. To improve 2. Show what they have.

Again if we draft a QB, only vet I would want would be 3rd stringer, just here to show guys how to go about prepping during the week. 

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Which he won't see enough of, if we draft a QB and sign a vet.

Im all for a vet if we don't draft a QB, in fact it's a necessity, clearly. 

Only so many reps to go around. 2 young guys splitting reps with vet, leaves 2 young guys not getting the reps needed 1. To improve 2. Show what they have.

Again if we draft a QB, only vet I would want would be 3rd stringer, just here to show guys how to go about prepping during the week. 

If we draft a QB Eason will never above Clipboard holder in Indianapolis 

45 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

They drove the price up like crazy. Raiders will want like 3 1s and Texans 5

Only if there are willing buyers at those inflated prices.  The Rams overpaid for Stafford.  But let’s not forget that the Lions took the Rams’ Goff problem off their hands for them.  I really think both teams saw Goff as negative block value.

Watson is obviously worth a lot, if a team has that much to give up.  And Carr is probably right there with Stafford.  But the Eagles are dreaming if they think Wentz is in that echelon.

A team would have to be more than desperate to give up two firsts for him.  They’ve have to be desperate and stupid.

6 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Watson is obviously worth a lot, if a team has that much to give up.  And Carr is probably right there with Stafford.  But the Eagles are dreaming if they think Wentz is in that echelon.

Agreed

23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No trade details yet...  

Wonder if there could be a three way trade in the works, where we end up with Foles. 

Philly has Hurts and Sudfeld.  We could use Foles as a bridge to Eason.  Bears give up the most capital picks and get Wentz.

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

If we draft a QB Eason will never above Clipboard holder in Indianapolis 

Why? Just because we draft a QB doesn't mean he will be better than Eason.

Which plays even more into the problem with drafting a QB. We could already have the answer on the team and not know it yet because of lack of opportunities last year. We would look like fools if we never gave Eason any run and then he went on to be franchise QB elsewhere after we get rid of him.

To reiterate, I have no issue drafting a QB, like I said, it doubles our chances to have our QB of the future on the team. Still doesn't even guarantee it though.

I think to assume any QB we might draft is going to be better than Eason is way off based though. The QB bust rates have been documented, especially 1st rounders.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Wonder if there could be a three way trade in the works, where we end up with Foles. 

Philly has Hurts and Sudfeld.  We could use Foles as a bridge to Eason.  Bears give up the most capital picks and get Wentz.

Ugh I’d want foles less than Wentz even and I don’t want either of them within 200 miles of the colts

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

Why? Just because we draft a QB doesn't mean he will be better than Eason.

Which plays even more into the problem with drafting a QB. We could already have the answer on the team and not know it yet because of lack of opportunities last year. We would look like fools if we never gave Eason any run and then he went on to be franchise QB elsewhere after we get rid of him.

To reiterate, I have no issue drafting a QB, like I said, it doubles our chances to have our QB of the future on the team. Still doesn't even guarantee it though.

I think to assume any QB we might draft is going to be better than Eason is way off based though. The QB bust rates have been documented, especially 1st rounders.

I agree with you but if the the Colts pick a QB in the first 2 Rounds he will get priority over JE

If the Eagles are really that high on Wentz, then shouldn’t they be talking about dealing Hurts?

They want to have this both ways.  They don’t want to start Wentz, they don’t want to have that huge contract on the bench the next 4 years, but they want top dollar for him?

Let the Bears have him if they’re stupid enough to come anywhere close to Philly’s asking price.  I’d be far happier with trading up to get one of the top 4 QBs in the draft...or even trying to re-sign Jacoby.  He’s not going to get much in the FA market anyway.

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I agree with you but if the the Colts pick a QB in the first 2 Rounds he will get priority over JE

He(draft pick), probably should get the first look in that instance, but I imagine it would still be a competition, which Eason could still emd up winning out.

Which goes back to my original point, if we draft a guy, we need to let Eason and draft pick get the reps and see who wins out. Veteran would only hurt our evaluation efforts.

Just now, csmopar said:

ESPN radio reporting just now that deal may be done in hours, they’re hearing MULTIPLE 1s have been dangled and a starting caliper, former all pro player !

Interesting.  Definitely doesnt sound like M.O. but maybe he'll break character.

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

ESPN radio reporting just now that deal may be done in hours, they’re hearing MULTIPLE 1s have been dangled and a starting caliper, former all pro player !

Eddie Jackson or Kyle Fuller.

Let go with that. :thmup:

1 minute ago, w87r said:

He(draft pick), probably should get the first look in that instance, but I imagine it would still be a competition, which Eason could still emd up winning out.

Which goes back to my original point, if we draft a guy, we need to let Eason and draft pick get the reps and see who wins out. Veteran would only hurt our evaluation efforts.

If we draft a QB in the top 2 rounds the Eason pick was wasted 

Either the team needs to go with seat warmer/mentor and Eason or DP and a mentor

not a DP and Eason and no mentor

Archived