Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll - QB Preference (now that PR has officially retired) (merge)

EastStreet

Poll - QB Preference  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

• Roll with Eason
    • Roll with JB
    • Unlock the Swag
    • Sign FA Fitzmagic
    • Sign FA Winston
    • Sign FA Trubisky
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Trade our 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up earlier in the 2nd to draft Trask
    • Use our 2nd round pick to draft Newman
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Stafford
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Carr
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Wentz
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Darnold
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Tua
    • Mortgage the future biggly, and trade our next three first round picks and next two to three 2nd round picks to get Watson.
    • Other - please list
  2. 2. Would you have preferred Rivers stayed one more year?

3. 3. How much faith and confidence do you have in Ballard to make the right call on QB?

• Blind faith, I have a picture of him in my house that I worship daily
    • Pretty confident
    • Not sure right now
    • Not a lot, but hoping for the best
    • Zero confidence

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2021 at 02:03 AM

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, colts89 said:

I'd like to remind everyone that JB led the colts to a 5-2 record before getting hurt and not looking the same in the latter half of the season. He can be an average starting QB, or a high backup QB. If we get him with a lower value contract to compete with some young guy from the draft/Eason then I dont think that's the worse spot to be. (Also remember that the Colts D was god awful in the 2nd half of the 2019 season too).

You also avoid settling for Wentz as the new franchise QB going forward lol

It wasn’t just the injury.  DC’s figured him out.

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

He could end up being a steal for someone in the 3rd or later if he drops. 

UGA should have tried to play JTD earlier. 

I would love to see JT go up against Trask in the FL game.

Trask completely destroyed us.  It was embarrassing.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Jason on For the Colture said he was told that they are circling back to Wentz bur no draft compensation has been discussed yet. I am sure he doesn’t get the entire story. We will see. Maybe Ballard is smart and trying to get these other teams go get these vets because he is interested in someone in the draft.

I would gladly take anyone in the draft over Wentz

Its the much smarter solution 

Just now, PRnum1 said:

Trask was awful against the Sooners (ew btw)

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

His contract is cheaper then Wentz.

I meant like picks wise 

Raiders prolly gonna want 2 1st

Just now, DougDew said:

The last Mock I saw, don't ask me where, had NE taking Trask at 15.  Said that he fit BB, and his game fit NE.

Where Trask goes depends on how the other top QBs fall off the board.

If its around the 20s and Jones or Lance is there I expect Trask to fall to 2nd

If all are gone by 15 then Trask will go late 1st 

Just now, pgt_rob said:

After the smoke settles I think Ballard eventually re-signs Brissett and we go into the draft with Brissett and Eason. Then that's where it will get interesting.

would be better than Wentz 

44 minutes ago, colts89 said:

Okay let's get wentz for a first and third or some other obscure, desperate move that gets the medias attention..

He played pretty well throwing for multiple TDs and very few picks in the majority of those games besides for two (KC, Denver), and even in those two games he threw zero interceptions. Hes a game manager for sure, but he does have the arm to throw it long as well at times. Hes only noted as an extremely positive influence in the locker room and in his community.

Brissett isn't a franchise QB however, but with the amount of hate some Colts fans give him, you'd think he was JaMarcus Russell. Any decent roster would be happy with him as a backup and a guy who can definitely play well in a decent system.

No one should argue that he should be the defacto starter and that we shouldn't be looking for that franchise QB, but I'm not going to be * if he is on the roster, especially on a good deal.

In JB's first 7 games, he had 4 games with a sub 50 QBR. That's just bad. Equating Ws to good QB play is intellectually dishonest. There's a reason we moved on last year, and that hasn't changed. 

I don't want Wentz, or any obscure or desperate move. I expect a good GM to figure it out, and not backslide again. JB in 2019 was understandable given the timing of Luck's exit. That's not the case this year. I like and respect JB as a man and as a backup QB. He's not a starter though. I'm OK with him being a backup in certain conditions which I've already lined out. 

30 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

The whole JTD timing think is still a mystery to me. He was cleared earlier than he played. He should do pretty good this coming season IMO.

The whole Newman thing is also a mystery. Heard a lot of rumor that he a bit afraid of the comp, but that's it.

28 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The last Mock I saw, don't ask me where, had NE taking Trask at 15.  Said that he fit BB, and his game fit NE.

I agree on the fit. I just don't think BB would use a first.

The last mock I saw, which was this morning, and I think CBS or MZ's, had NE taking Fields, which I think is a super bad fit.

3 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

I don't want Wentz either I just felt like Darnold was a poor comparison. Carr is someone I would more intrigued by and interested in 

Absolutely.  If we’re going to take on a hefty contract and give up picks/players for a QB, at least make it somebody worth the price tag.

We’re going to take the Eagles’ problem off their hands for them because he was good when Reich was their OC?

9 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Absolutely.  If we’re going to take on a hefty contract and give up picks/players for a QB, at least make it somebody worth the price tag.

We’re going to take the Eagles’ problem off their hands for them because he was good when Reich was their OC?

Like Ballard said today there is a reason any QB hits the market. Otherwise they wouldn’t. Unless we want to be stuck in mediocre somewhere we are going to have to take the risk. Whether that is trading for a vet, trading up in the draft, of just giving Eason a shot.

19 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Like Ballard said today there is a reason any QB hits the market. Otherwise they wouldn’t. Unless we want to be stuck in mediocre somewhere we are going to have to take the risk. Whether that is trading for a vet, trading up in the draft, of just giving Eason a shot.

But the risk here screws us the hardest if it doesn’t work out. Wentz cap hit the next 3 years will kill us even if we cut him. It’s heavily backloaded AND guaranteed. I was hearing numbers earlier of 24 million dead money per year!

24 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

True.  But every situation is different.  In some cases, it could be more of a cap issue than a performance issue.  Obviously, I wouldn't expect that the Chiefs or Bills are going to deal up Mahomes or Allen anytime soon, for cap reasons or otherwise.  Or it may just be that a coach and a QB aren't a great fit -- and I really think that might be the case with Carr and Gruden.  I mean, Carr was a top 10 rated QB this past season.  But the team had a mediocre year, Gruden is being paid a ton to make the Raiders a contender, and I don't think he and Carr have ever meshed very well.

The problem with Wentz is not just that he's very expensive, but that he's just coming off a year where he was one of the worst starting quarterbacks in the entire NFL.  He's (potentially, anyway) a major problem for the Eagles, no matter who their coach is.

I think it would be foolish for us to take that problem off their hands for us.  But, if we do, I would at least hope we'd be able to structure the deal in a way that reduces his cap hit for us to something more in line with other bottom 10 quarterbacks...because that's what he now is.

10 minutes ago, csmopar said:

But the risk here screws us the hardest if it doesn’t work out. Wentz cap hit the next 3 years will kill us even if we cut him. It’s heavily backloaded AND guaranteed. I was hearing numbers earlier of 24 million dead money per year!

It really isn't.

Need to find a better source of information. It's been posted a few times in this thread today.

If Wentz is traded his cap hits are as followed:

2021 - $25.4m guaranteed

2022 - $22m($15m guarantees 3/19/21)

2023 - $27m (no guarantees)

2024 - $26m (no guarantees)

Not advocating for his trade, jist laying out the numbers.

11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Is it possible that a trade can leave behind some of that cap hit?  I honestly don't know how possible that is with the NFL's CBA, salary cap rules, etc.  I know that the Texans had to eat a lot of Osweiler's dead cap when they dealt him to Cleveland.  It was a 4 year deal, they had him for a year, and they had to eat the remaining 3 years of his signing bonus.  But the rest of it passed on to Cleveland.  However, the contract had offsets that allowed Cleveland to avoid a lot of Osweiler's remaining dead cap once they cut him.

Is any of this negotiable after the fact?

7 minutes ago, w87r said:

It really isn't.

Need to find a better source of information. It's been posted a few times in this thread today.

If Wentz is traded his cap hits are as followed:

2021 - $25.4m guaranteed

2022 - $22m($15m guarantees 3/19/21)

2023 - $27m (no guarantees)

2024 - $26m (no guarantees)

Not advocating for his trade, jist laying out the numbers.

Ah yes, that's not nearly as bad as what I was fearing it might be with just $15M hitting on 3/19/21 and none the following two years.

Archived