Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll - QB Preference (now that PR has officially retired) (merge)

EastStreet

Poll - QB Preference  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

• Roll with Eason
    • Roll with JB
    • Unlock the Swag
    • Sign FA Fitzmagic
    • Sign FA Winston
    • Sign FA Trubisky
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Trade our 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up earlier in the 2nd to draft Trask
    • Use our 2nd round pick to draft Newman
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Stafford
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Carr
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Wentz
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Darnold
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Tua
    • Mortgage the future biggly, and trade our next three first round picks and next two to three 2nd round picks to get Watson.
    • Other - please list
  2. 2. Would you have preferred Rivers stayed one more year?

3. 3. How much faith and confidence do you have in Ballard to make the right call on QB?

• Blind faith, I have a picture of him in my house that I worship daily
    • Pretty confident
    • Not sure right now
    • Not a lot, but hoping for the best
    • Zero confidence

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2021 at 02:03 AM

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Honestly, JB coming back ultimately means something went wrong.

Either 

1) means we're not binging in a new QB

2) Eason isn't good enough to be the backup.

Either of those is bad. If #1, the season is likely a wash. If #2, a wasted draft pick. 

The only situation I'd be mildly OK with is if Eason is the starter (sink or swim year/season), and JB as the backup.

I, and I'm sure the great majority of fans, don't want another .500ish season with JB and another mid to late round draft pick.

If he comes back that means we drafted a young QB or Eason is really in the mix to start.  But if Jacoby is in the mix to start yeah something went wrong.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

If he comes back that means we drafted a young QB or Eason is really in the mix to start.  But if Jacoby is in the mix to start yeah something went wrong.

Honestly the only reason I'd want JB back is if we got a good FA QB, and were going all in for 2021 (and JB would be a good backup for a SB run).

Him competing with Eason for the starting job, or even the backup job, it total MEH for me.

27 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ballard said he thinks the QB class is very very good. When asked about Wilson he said he is really dynamic. Says Zach Pascal will be brought back.

Ballard just said Jacoby will be in the mix to start or backup. I hope he is just being nice.

Prediction:  Ballard will trade up 7 slots to 14, just ahead of NE, and take Kyle Trask.

He has not said anything different about Eason than he had before, that he doesn't know exactly what he has.  And he's not going to find out anything more before draft day. 

IMO, Ballard is not going to leave FA or the draft without having another option at QB.

So if he's impressed with the class, there is nothing to really stop him from drafting who he likes.  Trask has better size than Jones, and has put up numbers while fighting through more adversity (less of a team) IMO.

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Ertz has one year left and is 30.  A team could entice him to restructure, say, 3 yrs 17M with 8.2 guaranteed.  He'd play the first year anyway, so guaranteeing it bears no real risk to the team.

Work that out with Ertz before you make the trade with Philly.

Like I said, I'm good with our TEs..

19 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Relax things change week to week in the NFL offseason it’s only early February lol.

Sorry man. I don't drink often, but thoughts of JB starting another year is enough to send me on a "Leaving Las Vegas" shopping trip to the liquor store.

PkUsDo.gif

2 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

According to Sportrac's breakdown, those first 3 years are the cash outlays.  If so, then 2024's is $26M, not $21M.  That said, look at those cap hits.

I don't want Carson Wentz at any price, personally.  But if Ballard eats the Eagles' eye-popping overpayment -- given how Wentz has played since he signed this extension -- then I will lose a ton of respect for him as a GM.  Right now, Carson Wentz is a massive headache for the Eagles...even more of one than Jared Goff was for the Rams.  They're both guys who got paid top-QB money who subsequently stopped performing like top QBs.  In Wentz's case, he was one of the 2 or 3 worst starters in the league this past season.

The Rams paid a premium to unload Jared Goff and his contract.  He was treated as a negative value in that trade.  Wentz is the same, but worse.  If we do get him, I certainly hope he doesn't come with all his contract baggage.

Am I reading the article right ?

The eagles would have a dead cap hit of 59 M if traded for 2021 ?

And it looks like his cap hit for the eagles is 34.6 M

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Prediction:  Ballard will trade up 7 slots to 14, just ahead of NE, and take Kyle Trask.

He has not said anything different about Eason than he had before, that he doesn't know exactly what he has.  And he's not going to find out anything more before draft day. 

IMO, Ballard is not going to leave FA or the draft without having another option at QB.

So if he's impressed with the class, there is nothing to really stop him from drafting who he likes.  Trask has better size than Jones, and has put up numbers while fighting through more adversity (less of a team) IMO.

Trask is a decent prospect. Well rounded (more than Jones), medium floor, decent ceiling. He had good pass catchers, but not much else on O. He's a guy I could see surprising quite a few folks with the right team. Not much bad you can say about his stats last year, or even the last two years. If they had a decent running game or OL that O could have been really good.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Just for the record Pederson wanted to hire coaches within and the eagles management wanted outside voices to come in. That was the main reason he isn’t the coach anymore. Not that they chose Wentz over Pederson. 

I actually heard something different.

Pederson had a end of season conversation with Eagles owner Lurie.  Lurie asked Pederson to "unbench" Wentz.

Pederson refused and was fired.

That was the main reason to hire Sirianni.  Sirianni would bring Frank's offense in to "fix" Wentz.

Then I heard Eagles were shopping Hurtz.

Lurie is all in on Wentz

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Trask is a decent prospect. Well rounded (more than Jones), medium floor, decent ceiling. He had good pass catchers, but not much else on O. He's a guy I could see surprising quite a few folks with the right team. Not much bad you can say about his stats last year, or even the last two years. If they had a decent running game or OL that O could have been really good.

Yeah.  I have not looked at the QBs much, but between him, Jones, and Fields, I think his numbers are more of a product of his own play and less a reflection of the team he was on.   I saw him a couple of times, and he seems more mobile than what he's being given credit for.  Compared to Lawrence, Fields, and Wilson, yeah, he's not as good, but its not like he's not mobile.

2 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

I actually heard something different.

Pederson had a end of season conversation with Eagles owner Lurie.  Lurie asked Pederson to "unbench" Wentz.

Pederson refused and was fired.

That was the main reason to hire Sirianni.  Sirianni would bring Frank's offense in to "fix" Wentz.

Then I heard Eagles were shopping Hurtz.

Lurie is all in on Wentz

Yup. That's pretty much the tone of what is being reported everywhere. Not sure where Chloe is getting her intel.

17 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Trask will be a day 2 pick 

9 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Am I reading the article right ?

The eagles would have a dead cap hit of 59 M if traded for 2021 ?

And it looks like his cap hit for the eagles is 34.6 M

No.  If cut.  Spotrac looks at a cut.  The acquiring team takes on the yearly cap hit.  IIRC, the Eagles will SAVE about a million off of 2021 cap if they trade Wentz instead of keep him.  So the cap hit sounds bad, but its actually a gain to Philly if they intend on calling 2021 a wash. 

I'm not sure exactly what the cap hit is for the acquiring team.  Very high, but I don't think its the $30m number that Philly would have..

Just now, DougDew said:

Yeah.  I have not looked at the QBs much, but between him, Jones, and Fields, I think his numbers are more of a product of his own play and less a reflection of the team he was on.   I saw him a couple of times, and he seems more mobile than what he's being given credit for.  Compared to Lawrence, Fields, and Wilson, yeah, he's not as good, but its not like he's not mobile.

My personal QB rankings in 4 tiers.... I want nothing to do with anyone past 4A. I really wouldn't move up for Trask, but I would move up a bit for Lance or Wilson if either dropped a bit.

1 Lawrence

- The only ultra low risk prospect

2A. Wilson

2B. Lance

- Both have high ceilings but high bust potential due to level of comp

4A. Trask

4B. Fields

-Both have good/decent ceilings. I think Fields has higher bust potential than Trask.

6A. Jones

6B. Newman

-Jones was surrounded by a semi pro team and is very limited in a lot of ways

-Newman was rated higher before he opted out last year. Losing a year really hurt, but decent ceiling.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

My personal QB rankings in 4 tiers.... I want nothing to do with anyone past 4A. I really wouldn't move up for Trask, but I would move up a bit for Lance or Wilson if either dropped a bit.

1 Lawrence

2A. Wilson

2B. Lance

4A. Trask

4B. Fields

-Both have good/decent ceilings. I think Fields has higher bust potential than Trask.

6A. Jones

6B. Newman

-Newman was rated higher before he opted out last year. Losing a year really hurt, but decent ceiling.

Rivers proved last year you don't have to be mobile to have success here. I agree Jones would struggle behind bad OL but we have a solid team to help with his weakness. 

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'd like to remind you that his QBR and efficiency during that 5-2 was very bad at times, his best games were against teams with horrible pass Ds, and it wasn't him that won all those games... 

Okay let's get wentz for a first and third or some other obscure, desperate move that gets the medias attention..

He played pretty well throwing for multiple TDs and very few picks in the majority of those games besides for two (KC, Denver), and even in those two games he threw zero interceptions. Hes a game manager for sure, but he does have the arm to throw it long as well at times. Hes only noted as an extremely positive influence in the locker room and in his community.

Brissett isn't a franchise QB however, but with the amount of hate some Colts fans give him, you'd think he was JaMarcus Russell. Any decent roster would be happy with him as a backup and a guy who can definitely play well in a decent system.

No one should argue that he should be the defacto starter and that we shouldn't be looking for that franchise QB, but I'm not going to be * if he is on the roster, especially on a good deal.

34 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I hope not.  Trask can be a good player but to take him at 14 would be a huge reach.

I agree that he's a day 2 pick.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Lol. This would be hillarious and a total Bears thing to do because they are so desperate.

Reminder 

Bears have NEVER had 4000 yard passer 

Just now, PRnum1 said:

I hope not.  Trask can be a good player but to take him at 14 would be a huge reach.

I agree that he's a day 2 pick.

if anything trade down at 21 and get him late 1st and pick up 4th

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

1 Lawrence

2A. Wilson

2B. Lance

4A. Trask

4B. Fields

6A. Jones

6B. Newman

I agree Newman was really hurt by taking a year off.  Not sure why he opted out just because of covid.  Strange.  He really screwed over my UGA Bulldogs.

You could tell during the senior bowl that he had lost the "speed" of the game and looked out of place and hesitant, holding the ball too long.

The last drive he moved the ball down the field and I heard he looked good, but I missed his last drive.

13 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Trask will be a day 2 pick 

He's been rising and the gap between he and Jones is closing. I've see some mocks where Trask goes before Jones. There are only 4 QBs who have been consistent in the 1st round. It will be more about "fit" as to how Trask and Jones stack up.

Only teams with a great OL would even consider taking Jones. Pats and Saints are his best hope. Most other teams won't take on his limitation in the first, or at all. IMO, Belichick won't take him, so it's Saints or fall to the 2nd.

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

He's way too good for that.  

Even rising, I haven't seen him mocked in the 1st at all. 

9 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Thanks man.

I believe we are talking about the pre-6/1 trade scenario not pre-6/1 release.

2021 Dead Cap: $33,820,6142021

Cap Savings: $852,922

You got it.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

He's been rising and the gap between he and Jones is closing. I've see some mocks where Trask goes before Jones. There are only 4 QBs who have been consistent in the 1st round. It will be more about "fit" as to how Trask and Jones stack up.

Only teams with a great OL would even consider taking Jones. Pats and Saints are his best hope. Most other teams won't take on his limitation in the first, or at all. IMO, Belichick won't take him, so it's Saints or fall to the 2nd.

Even rising, I haven't seen him mocked in the 1st at all. 

You got it.

Don't be surprised if Steelers get him to take over Ben 

7 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Rivers proved last year you don't have to be mobile to have success here. I agree Jones would struggle behind bad OL but we have a solid team to help with his weakness. 

LOL... Rivers is a role model vet for reading Ds, leading pass catchers, and anticipation. That's the only reason we went with him aside from FR's familiarity. 

Like I've said. There is simply no reason to limit yourself with a guy like Jones if you're the Colts.

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

Don't be surprised if Steelers get him to take over Ben 

Pitt's OL is average at best. Bad fit.

5 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

I agree Newman was really hurt by taking a year off.  Not sure why he opted out just because of covid.  Strange.  He really screwed over my UGA Bulldogs.

You could tell during the senior bowl that he had lost the "speed" of the game and looked out of place and hesitant, holding the ball too long.

The last drive he moved the ball down the field and I heard he looked good, but I missed his last drive.

He could end up being a steal for someone in the 3rd or later if he drops. 

UGA should have tried to play JTD earlier. 

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

LOL... Rivers is a role model vet for reading Ds, leading pass catchers, and anticipation. That's the only reason we went with him aside from FR's familiarity. 

Like I've said. There is simply no reason to limit yourself with a guy like Jones if you're the Colts.

Pitt's OL is average at best. Bad fit.

Average?

Didn't they lead the league in Sacks allowed 

Archived