Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll - QB Preference (now that PR has officially retired) (merge)

EastStreet

Poll - QB Preference  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

• Roll with Eason
    • Roll with JB
    • Unlock the Swag
    • Sign FA Fitzmagic
    • Sign FA Winston
    • Sign FA Trubisky
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Trade our 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up earlier in the 2nd to draft Trask
    • Use our 2nd round pick to draft Newman
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Stafford
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Carr
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Wentz
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Darnold
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Tua
    • Mortgage the future biggly, and trade our next three first round picks and next two to three 2nd round picks to get Watson.
    • Other - please list
  2. 2. Would you have preferred Rivers stayed one more year?

3. 3. How much faith and confidence do you have in Ballard to make the right call on QB?

• Blind faith, I have a picture of him in my house that I worship daily
    • Pretty confident
    • Not sure right now
    • Not a lot, but hoping for the best
    • Zero confidence

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2021 at 02:03 AM

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, krunk said:

Hope they get him

Ugh.  Not me.

I watched several Eagles games the past couple seasons.  And let’s just say that I can understand why Pederson benched him.  Wentz has not looked good since coming back from his knee.

I’d much rather we go after Darnold than Wentz.  I’d rather have Fitzpatrick than Wentz.  In fact, I’d probably rather we stick with Brissett.

In 2017, he tossed 33TDs (his TD% was a boffo 7.5%) against just 7 picks (for a very good Int% of 1.6%).  You can see why the Eagles were high on their 2nd year QB.

This past season, his TD% was half his 2017 clip at 3.7%.  His INT% doubled to 3.4%.  And his completion % was an anemic 57.4% — good for 31st in the league thanks to Drew Lock being 0.1% lower.

And this doesn’t even get into his ridiculous contract - which hasn’t even kicked in yet.  Whoever has him will be getting one of the statistically worst QBs in the league and paying him as one of the best (which he was, 3 seasons ago).

Wentz has proven he can play at an elite level, but is not even close to proving he is an elite QB.

Wentz had a 13 game stretch playing at an elite level, got injured and the backup came in and played at an elite level. He had a 4 game stretch in 2019 vs Giants, Cowboys, and Redskins (all bad), where he played very well. Other than that, eh.

I think it's a long shot to think that 1 season of elite play is the real Carson Wentz.

3 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Wentz has proven he can play at an elite level, but is not even close to proving he is an elite QB.

Wentz had a 13 game stretch playing at an elite level, got injured and the backup came in and played at an elite level. He had a 4 game stretch in 2019 vs Giants, Cowboys, and Redskins (all bad), where he played very well. Other than that, eh.

I think it's a long shot to think that 1 season of elite play is the real Carson Wentz.

I'm kinda thinking he will end up somewhere in the middle 

14 hours ago, poilucelt said:

but he probably will in Big D, leaving insufficient money to fill out the rest of their roster

and people will ask "why is the Cowboys' defense still so bad?"

Jerry doesn’t know how to spend money. Easy answer. Cowboys have sucked for so long because they overpay the wrong players and underpay the right ones.

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I'm kinda thinking he will end up somewhere in the middle 

I know we don’t have a lot of options, but a “somewhere between trash and elite” Wentz does not sound like a SB-caliber QB to me

48 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Ugh.  Not me.

I watched several Eagles games the past couple seasons.  And let’s just say that I can understand why Pederson benched him.  Wentz has not looked good since coming back from his knee.

I’d much rather we go after Darnold than Wentz.  I’d rather have Fitzpatrick than Wentz.  In fact, I’d probably rather we stick with Brissett.

In 2017, he tossed 33TDs (his TD% was a boffo 7.5%) against just 7 picks (for a very good Int% of 1.6%).  You can see why the Eagles were high on their 2nd year QB.

This past season, his TD% was half his 2017 clip at 3.7%.  His INT% doubled to 3.4%.  And his completion % was an anemic 57.4% — good for 31st in the league thanks to Drew Lock being 0.1% lower.

And this doesn’t even get into his ridiculous contract - which hasn’t even kicked in yet.  Whoever has him will be getting one of the statistically worst QBs in the league and paying him as one of the best (which he was, 3 seasons ago).

Did he play behind the same line he did under Frank? Or play with a top 5 rushing attack? Or play with some of the WR he played with under Frank? No virtually on all accounts. 

Just now, w87r said:

2021 - $25.4m

2022 - $22m

2023 - $27m

2024 - $21m

According to Sportrac's breakdown, those first 3 years are the cash outlays.  If so, then 2024's is $26M, not $21M.  That said, look at those cap hits.

I don't want Carson Wentz at any price, personally.  But if Ballard eats the Eagles' eye-popping overpayment -- given how Wentz has played since he signed this extension -- then I will lose a ton of respect for him as a GM.  Right now, Carson Wentz is a massive headache for the Eagles...even more of one than Jared Goff was for the Rams.  They're both guys who got paid top-QB money who subsequently stopped performing like top QBs.  In Wentz's case, he was one of the 2 or 3 worst starters in the league this past season.

The Rams paid a premium to unload Jared Goff and his contract.  He was treated as a negative value in that trade.  Wentz is the same, but worse.  If we do get him, I certainly hope he doesn't come with all his contract baggage.

2 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

I really hope they don’t do this. Would much rather take my chances with Darnold. Much younger, cheaper and could add more pieces in FA.  Forget his injury issues  Wentz is mentally broken man and a huge gamble.

I hear you but you can’t use Darnold as an example. He’s just as broken mentally as Wentz. 

14 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

According to Sportrac's breakdown, those first 3 years are the cash outlays.  If so, then 2024's is $26M, not $21M.  That said, look at those cap hits.

I don't want Carson Wentz at any price, personally.  But if Ballard eats the Eagles' eye-popping overpayment -- given how Wentz has played since he signed this extension -- then I will lose a ton of respect for him as a GM.  Right now, Carson Wentz is a massive headache for the Eagles...even more of one than Jared Goff was for the Rams.  They're both guys who got paid top-QB money who subsequently stopped performing like top QBs.  In Wentz's case, he was one of the 2 or 3 worst starters in the league this past season.

The Rams paid a premium to unload Jared Goff and his contract.  He was treated as a negative value in that trade.  Wentz is the same, but worse.  If we do get him, I certainly hope he doesn't come with all his contract baggage.

Yeah it is $26m for 2024. Ran through it real quick.(too quick)

3 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

I hear you but you can’t use Darnold as an example. He’s just as broken mentally as Wentz. 

He’s only 23 Wentz is nearing 30 where at that point that’s who you are. So for me it’s a combination of age and cheap cap space we’ll save to add in FA.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Not if you know the player

Knowing the player and watching him play last year are two different things.  Why would a high end talent suddenly have bad mechanics and make terrible decisions on the field?  Maybe all the Hurts drama had it's effect.  He will have Eason breathing down his neck here.  If he comes here the pressure will really be on him with this team.  

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Knowing the player and watching him play last year are two different things.  Why would a high end talent suddenly have bad mechanics and make terrible decisions on the field?  Maybe all the Hurts drama had it's effect.  He will have Eason breathing down his neck here.  If he comes here the pressure will really be on him with this team.  

This is true too. I think from what I understand he and Reich are still very close and have a lot of respect for each other. The entire eagles organization seems to be a mess right now.

Just now, Mr.Debonair said:

Why...because he said he was "seeing ghosts"?

Quite frankly, both of them were statistically awful last season  -- the 31st and 32nd rated QBs in the league.  But, if given a choice, I think I'd rather have Darnold.  Wentz was a very promising up-and-coming QB before he got injured.  He has not been ever since.  He's Carson Palmer 2.0, as far as that goes.  He's had his day and, sadly, he's one of those guys who just hasn't mended to 100%.  At least Darnold still has the potential -- not to mention the high mobility.  And he doesn't come packed with a massive contract.

Archived