Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll - QB Preference (now that PR has officially retired) (merge)

EastStreet

Poll - QB Preference  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

• Roll with Eason
    • Roll with JB
    • Unlock the Swag
    • Sign FA Fitzmagic
    • Sign FA Winston
    • Sign FA Trubisky
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Trade our 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up earlier in the 2nd to draft Trask
    • Use our 2nd round pick to draft Newman
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Stafford
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Carr
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Wentz
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Darnold
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Tua
    • Mortgage the future biggly, and trade our next three first round picks and next two to three 2nd round picks to get Watson.
    • Other - please list
  2. 2. Would you have preferred Rivers stayed one more year?

3. 3. How much faith and confidence do you have in Ballard to make the right call on QB?

• Blind faith, I have a picture of him in my house that I worship daily
    • Pretty confident
    • Not sure right now
    • Not a lot, but hoping for the best
    • Zero confidence

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2021 at 02:03 AM

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Brace yourselves JMV was just on FOX 59 saying the only name he’s hearing is Nick Foles.  With that said JMV seemed to be taking the stance of that can’t be true.

If it is Foles, it strikes me as a Bridge-QB type of deal.   He's the guy who might be good enough to get us to the playoffs for a year or two while Eason learns on the job.    And I suspect Foles' contract is more reasonable....

People need to understand something very important. This team is not a QB away from a SB.  Ballard might luck out at 21 in the draft but you can't count on that. 

Lets review the possible non QB holes the Colts might have to deal with.

LT

AC retired so a replacement is an absolute necessity and beyond that they desperately need to get depth to the position. 

WR

There's a chance Hilton returns on short deal to bridge the gap but if he leaves that could be another spot Ballard has to attack.

CB 

Colts best CB Xavier Rhodes is a FA and if he leaves it makes our secondary dreadful. 

DE 

Same scenario as WR but with Houston and Autry. If both or even either leave DE will be a major priority.

I'm kinda hoping for the best but you see the dilemma that Ballard has. Its so easy to trade up for a QB and a good one can certainly help cover up flaws on a team.

7 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

People need to understand something very important. This team is not a QB away from a SB.  Ballard might luck out at 21 in the draft but you can't count on that. 

LT

AC retired so a replacement is an absolute necessity and beyond that they desperately need to get depth to the position. 

WR

There's a chance Hilton returns on short deal to bridge the gap but if he leaves that could be another spot Ballard has to attack.

CB 

Colts best CB Xavier Rhodes is a FA and if he leaves it makes our secondary dreadful. 

DE 

Same scenario as WR but with Houston and Autry. If both or even either leave DE will be a major priority.

I'm kinda hoping for the best but you see the dilemma that Ballard has. Its so easy to trade up for a QB and a good one can certainly help cover up flaws on a team.

That is why I feel that you use the draft to pick guys at OT, CB, and DE and trade or sign a vet until Eason is ready

59 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If it is Foles, it strikes me as a Bridge-QB type of deal.   He's the guy who might be good enough to get us to the playoffs for a year or two while Eason learns on the job.    And I suspect Foles' contract is more reasonable....

Did you see how terrible Foles has been the past 2 years?  Absolutely atrocious. No chance in Hades he can take us to the playoffs. He’s a relief pitcher not a starter.  He can’t handle the pressure of being the man.  If you bring him in, you let Eason start and take on all the pressure.  When/if he cracks under the pressure, you turn to Foles and let him play the savior.  But whatever you do, you don’t name him the starter until all other options are exhausted. 

2 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Did you see how terrible Foles has been the past 2 years?  Absolutely atrocious. No chance in Hades he can take us to the playoffs. He’s a relief pitcher not a starter.  He can’t handle the pressure of being the man.  If you bring him in, you let Eason start and take on all the pressure.  When/if he cracks under the pressure, you turn to Foles and let him play the savior.  But whatever you do, you don’t name him the starter until all other options are exhausted. 

He was also terrible before he took the Eagles to a Super Bowl title.   He’s had a roller coaster career.   Highest highs, lowest lows. 

Im not advocating for Foles.   I’m only responding to another poster in this thread who floated that the radio guy, JMV, says he’s hearing Foles is next on our list.  Said JMV doesn’t believe it himself, but is only reporting it. 

There is no perfect QB option.  All have flaws of one kind or another. 

1 hour ago, buccolts said:

He's near the top of that list for me. THAT, with the options offered, for all the reasons you offered. 

Fitz, and Dalton are up there also.

Cam is 10 for me. 

Dalton?  Please no.  Guy had weapons all over the place in Dallas and was still terrible.  Andy is washed.  Sadly, Foles is probably even worse.  I’ll give you Fitz.  But those other 2 are cooked.  Well done.  One’s a relief pitcher (Foles) who has no business as a starter.  Foles has shown to be a great closer though.  But you definitely don’t make him the starter.  

The other (Dalton) is an over the hill starter that could never win a playoff game.  Not one ever.  He’s basically like a middle reliever now.  He should ONLY play in the event your starter is injured.  Eason should start over both.

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He was also terrible before he took the Eagles to a Super Bowl title.   He’s had a roller coaster career.   Highest highs, lowest lows. 

Im not advocating for Foles.   I’m only responding to another poster in this thread who floated that the radio guy, JMV, says he’s hearing Foles is next on our list.  Said JMV doesn’t believe it himself, but is only reporting it. 

There is no perfect QB option.  All have flaws of one kind or another. 

I like JMV too.  He’s the one that said the Colts only liked my favorite QB in the draft, Fields.  I hope that’s some bad intel he’s reporting on Foles.  That’s frightening stuff.  Now makes me wonder if the Fields talk was indeed just a smokescreen?  Or maybe Foles could make a good mentor & backup for whoever is gonna be our actual starter.  Please just don’t ever start Foles until he’s the last option.  He excels when the pressure isn’t on him to be the man.

4 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I like JMV too.  He’s the one that said the Colts only liked my favorite QB in the draft, Fields.  I hope that’s some bad intel he’s reporting on Foles.  That’s frightening stuff.  Now makes me wonder if the Fields talk was indeed just a smokescreen?  Or maybe Foles could make a good mentor & backup for whoever is gonna be our actual starter.  Please just don’t ever start Foles until he’s the last option.  He excels when the pressure isn’t on him to be the man.

A guy who has won in the playoffs and a Super Bowl only excels when the pressure ISN’T on him?!?    Huh?    I don’t follow....  

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

A guy who has won in the playoffs and a Super Bowl only excels when the pressure ISN’T on him?!?    Huh?    I don’t follow....  

not the pressure of being the starter.  Maybe I didn’t word that correctly. There’s always pressure in sports.  But starters and backups face different kinds/levels of pressure.  As the backup you’re basically playing with house money.  Does anyone really expect the backup to perform like the starter and lead the team to playoff victories?  Are they gonna hold him, if he plays poorly and loses, to the same level of scrutiny a starter like Wentz or Trubisky would have faced had they failed in the playoffs?  

To whom much is given much is expected.  When Foles was named starter in Jax he stunk up the joint and didn’t perform well as the starter when given the opportunity.  When Nagy benched Trubisky way too soon for Foles, a guy that like I said doesn’t handle the pressure of being the man very well, he played terribly again with the pressure of being the starter again.  

Not the same pressure when you get to come in down 20 and play carefree and sling it all around the yard.  Nagy should have used Foles like a relief pitcher.  He fell in love with Foles’ comeback victory and immediately anointed him the starter and the offense became anemic.  Foles once again struggled under the pressure of being the starter and not the backup coming in as relief.  When Mitch struggled Nagy was right to go to Foles to try and save the day.  But he was clearly wrong for naming him the starting QB going forward.  Like I said, Foles excels as the relief not the starter.

6 hours ago, NFLfan said:

haha You really like Cousins. Look what a 49ers guy had to say about Cousins:

"Cousins is seen as an above average starting QB who is a bad leader and thus not someone worth trading for. I think most of the NFL sees him that way."

Kyle Shanahan loves Cousins. I would love it if we could swap QBs.  Cousins for Jimmy G and a 2nd or 3rd rounder. 

You might appreciate this article. Trading for Cousins is not impossible:

https://vikingsterritory.com/2021/analysis/confused-by-the-kirk-cousins-trade-rumors-i-reached-out-to-49ers-webzone-for-clarity

I wonder how many Colts fans would like a trade for Cousins. @Colts_Fan12 loves Cousins. I know @stitches is not a fan. He and I see Cousins the same way.

It's not that I don't like him. He's alright, he gives you some base level of QB play. But he's getting you nowhere and is being paid close to the players that actually make a difference. When you get to the playoffs there will be clearly better QBs and he's not giving you the margin for error money that a cheap QB on rookie deal will give you. When it matters most you get the worst of both worlds - QB that won't compete against the best and no extra money to help you help him elsewhere. Add potential draft picks that you have to give up for him and it's a strict... 

d18e778c5d8d9345272b6b3bb3e1f47f--randy-

5 hours ago, w87r said:

I listed Foles 10 out of 10 in the qb ranking list thread that I would prefer.(last one I would want)

Saying that, I will say this.

1. Nick Foles did win a SB against Tom Brady with Reich connection.

2. His cap hit would be minimal, with easy out after 2021

2021 - $4m ( $4m guaranteed)

2022 - $8m ($1m guaranteed)

3. Would fall in line as a vet to bridge to Eason(if that is the plan), very knowledgeable in the system. Could be great mentor for Eason.

4. Contract would allow us to spend money on our other key openings

5. Ok.....that's all I got. Please be someone else.:dunno:

Yeah...Foles would be a backup QB play...in conjunction with a draft pick. He knows the system. Makes a lot of a sense in that role.

3 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

not the pressure of being the starter.  Maybe I didn’t word that correctly. There’s always pressure in sports.  But starters and backups face different kinds/levels of pressure.  As the backup you’re basically playing with house money.  Does anyone really expect the backup to perform like the starter and lead the team to playoff victories?  Are they gonna hold him, if he plays poorly and loses, to the same level of scrutiny a starter like Wentz or Trubisky would have faced had they failed in the playoffs?  

To whom much is given much is expected.  When Foles was named starter in Jax he stunk up the joint and didn’t perform well as the starter when given the opportunity.  When Nagy benched Trubisky way too soon for Foles, a guy that like I said doesn’t handle the pressure of being the man very well, he played terribly again with the pressure of being the starter again.  

Not the same pressure when you get to come in down 20 and play carefree and sling it all around the yard.  Nagy should have used Foles like a relief pitcher.  He fell in love with Foles’ comeback victory and immediately anointed him the starter and the offense became anemic.  Foles once again struggled under the pressure of being the starter and not the backup coming in as relief.  When Mitch struggled Nagy was right to go to Foles to try and save the day.  But he was clearly wrong for naming him the starting QB going forward.  Like I said, Foles excels as the relief not the starter.

In JAC...Foles broke his collarbone in the first game. Who knows how that season turns out if he doesn’t.

But I don’t think it matters how he has done as a long-term starter because he would play the backup QB/Fitzmagic role in Indy. 

Taking Watson and Rodgers out of the equation, because neither is happening, I'd be fine with taking a shot with Trubisky.

I don't get the hate for him. I haven't seen him much, other than prime time games, but his career numbers are pretty darn good. If you take out his rookie season he is 22-13 as a starter, 65% comp%, 57-30 TD/Int. The TD/Int% certainly needs to get better, but I think it will under Reich. This would give the Colts a young, mobile, winning QB, with a young QB in the wings (Eason), if Trubisky doesn't work out.

8 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

LT

WR

CB 

DE 

We were two stupid HOU fumbles away from being 9-7, with major holes.  We had a good season but I think we take a step back next year.  Its okay.  Its a long process when you build through the draft and maybe miss on some second rounders.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Colts were prepared to offer 21 but once panthers offered 8 they knew we were out of it. Peter King says coltsmight of offered a one and a three. Also players were mentioned in the colts package.

I wonder who the Players were.  Maybe Campbell, Hines, Banagou, Lewis, Turay, Moore.  I imagine they would be players that would move the needle.  

11 hours ago, w87r said:

Im going to leave him at 10 and just take a look at these positives to make myself feel better if it happens. 

I have Fitz a 3 I think, Cam at 4 or 5. Dalton at 9(just meh)

Cam would make our run game pretty nasty, RPO would be crazy and if he could not throw 1 hoppers to WRs it could be deadly. That's a big if though.

In actuality I hope it isn't any of those guys 

If we bring in someone for a 1-3 year hold my place deal, I'm looking for a mature, good locker room, good work ethic, guy. I'm not as concerned over the number of wins as I am the example, though I do want as many wins as we can get along the way. I think our team could win just fine with a game manager, so just don't be a turnover machine.

There's only a small handful of such guys on that list. The rest are younger and Cam.

My expectation was to have such place holder model for a year, then hopefully Eason (or someone like him) is ready and the place holder supports. If it has to go to 3 years, so be it.

NOW, I gotta say, I was resigned to this option until I saw the names on the list. I'm underwhelmed and no longer enthusiastic to go that route with most all of those guys, and therefore, I'm not responding to that thread out of respect of the OPs wishes.

That said, next option may be to follow the same path with different names (Carr, Jimmy G, etc), but those guys are a bit more expensive, no? On the other hand, they could work out just fine, and be here beyond that suggested 3 years.

Next option would seem to be trading for an established, REALLY GOOD, vet, only based on Irsay's earlier comments. Seems you're spending more for this than moving up into the top 5 in the draft. They're established, but also older.

Moving up in the draft? I think there's Lawrence, then 2 or 3 that'll likely go in the top 10. One of those I don't want (Fields), one I equate to Love (Lance), and one other that seems solid (Wilson). 

We're not getting the #1 pick. Wilson is likely going #2, so that's unlikely. I'm not sure I'd take Fields at 21. I'd have to think about that long and hard. Likely trade out. Lance? See Love. You don't trade up for that, as it turns out.

Next tier? Trask, Jones, and a few others I'm not familiar with. I think there's a handful in this tier many of which will make it to 21, so if you're interested in any of them, I wouldn't necessarily move up for any of them. There's a great likelihood that anyone at 21 may not be any more ready to start week 1 than Eason is. 

With Stafford gone, I'm torn, and will trust Ballard's imagination.

Edit: Perhaps we sign one of those guys to sit and support Eason, who starts(?)

2 hours ago, coltsva said:

Taking Watson and Rodgers out of the equation, because neither is happening, I'd be fine with taking a shot with Trubisky.

I don't get the hate for him. I haven't seen him much, other than prime time games, but his career numbers are pretty darn good. If you take out his rookie season he is 22-13 as a starter, 65% comp%, 57-30 TD/Int. The TD/Int% certainly needs to get better, but I think it will under Reich. This would give the Colts a young, mobile, winning QB, with a young QB in the wings (Eason), if Trubisky doesn't work out.

Trubisky, if he is brought here, I anticipate our QB development will be better than what happened in Chicago, to be honest. We have witnessed QBs develop with Frank at several places, and let us not forget he was with Peyton here as well, like he was with Wentz in Philly. Maybe he brings Allen Robinson with him too. :) and if both Trubisky and Robinson cost in the range of $10-12 mil. each, I think we have ourselves a good bargain for 2 years assuming Trubisky would be signed for no more than 2 years.

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We are down to table scraps.

Let me spell it out for you.. Mitchel Trubisky! (lol)

yeah. This might not go well. Again, let's hope the GM is as good as they tell us he is. Because there's really no obvious move now.

The 9ers want Cousins.. That's interesting.

34 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Why do people ask questions that lend themselves to coachspeak, then get mad about the coachspeak? Ask better questions, get better answers. Stop trying to beat down the door on a topic that the team isn't ready to discuss, and get information on other topics.

I honestly feel like eason is the leagues best kept secret, and ballard is keeping it close to his chest... He is prepared, he has had this entire season to prepare because he had to know phillip was not the answer, I think he loves what he has in eason, and I think He, Frank and Jim seem extremely calm, relaxed and confident for a few guys who's roster is supposedly in  complete peril without a star at QB.. I think rivers was just a stop gap to get eason up to speed. And I think eason is making the strides necessary to give them faith and confidence in not only his natural arm talent but his overall development... I think the colts will draft either a star WR, LT or Edge Rusher... Obviously I could be wrong, but it just feels that way, whichever way they go, they obviously have a plan, and are obviously comfortable with that plan...and let me just say, I love how our front office, coaching and ownership seem to be in complete synergy together.... It really beats the old days of pagano, grigson and Irsay....

Going to play devils advocate here. Don’t even know why Ballard would do this. In his season ending presser he said Eason wasn’t even confident Eason could be the backup. Does anyone think Ballard is maybe sold on Eason being the future and he just said that as a smokescreen.  If we don’t draft and get some leftover vet Ballard really needs to just say they are going to be preparing Eason to take over in 22.  

Would involving a marquee player in a trade help the Colts in the draft without giving up too much draft capital?

Would we be able to move up to No.6 with the Eagles by giving up (say) Darius Leonard and pick No.21? Again, some of you are very touchy about Darius Leonard. So, let me preface this by saying that I am not suggesting we have to trade him, just thinking out loud. Thanks.

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Going to play devils advocate here. Don’t even know why Ballard would do this. In his season ending presser he said Eason wasn’t even confident Eason could be the backup. Does anyone think Ballard is maybe sold on Eason being the future and he just said that as a smokescreen.  If we don’t draft and get some leftover vet Ballard really needs to just say they are going to be preparing Eason to take over in 22.  

Why does Ballard need to say that (or anything else for that matter)?

:thinking:

Archived