Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll - QB Preference (now that PR has officially retired) (merge)

EastStreet

Poll - QB Preference  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

• Roll with Eason
    • Roll with JB
    • Unlock the Swag
    • Sign FA Fitzmagic
    • Sign FA Winston
    • Sign FA Trubisky
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Trade our 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up earlier in the 2nd to draft Trask
    • Use our 2nd round pick to draft Newman
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Stafford
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Carr
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Wentz
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Darnold
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Tua
    • Mortgage the future biggly, and trade our next three first round picks and next two to three 2nd round picks to get Watson.
    • Other - please list
  2. 2. Would you have preferred Rivers stayed one more year?

3. 3. How much faith and confidence do you have in Ballard to make the right call on QB?

• Blind faith, I have a picture of him in my house that I worship daily
    • Pretty confident
    • Not sure right now
    • Not a lot, but hoping for the best
    • Zero confidence

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2021 at 02:03 AM

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

You see my comparison post, with Cousins and Stafford?

I don't see how so many posters would want Stafford but not him?

I'm literally the one guy on this board that doesn't need sold on Kirk ill take him right this second if they would trade him and I'm buying his jersey day one lol

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DougDew said:

Trubisky > Darnold.  JMO.

He’s proven to be so far in their careers.  Was even a chip shot field goal miss from winning a playoff game.  And has probably been to the playoffs in his first 4 years just as many times as Stafford has his entire career.  Don’t get me wrong.  I don’t want Mitch.  I just find it crazy how some QB’s are given excuses while others like (Mitch, Bortles, Mariota & RG3 are moved to backup status quickly).  Darnold hasn’t come close to accomplishing what those 3 deemed busts have accomplished in the same or less amount of time.

58 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Pederson's firing tells me that they think Wentz is the answer and not a lot of belief in Hurts. If they beleived in Hurts, Wentz would b on the block

If the GM thought Wentz was the answer, why did they even bother to use second round draft pick on Hurts in the first place? 

I don't think the GM thinks Wentz is the answer, and I think the idea that the same GM that drafted Hurts hired Sirianni to resurrect Wentz career is a bunch of smoke/unfounded rumor.

Personally i think Jameis Winston is a better talent than Trubisky and Darnold if you have to go that route. Winston was groomed in a west coast offense at Fl State as far as i know. He didnt come up in Arians system. Tampa had him slinging it all over the place. Heck even Peyton through a lot of picks under Arians for a while i believe. Put him back in the west coast offense with a lot of high percentage throws and some good coaches you may have something. Yeah you can criticize him for the picks he throws but the man cant be accused of not knowing how to get to the end zone.  Hes not a deer stuck in headlights.

For me i think im looking at Wentz, Winston, maybe Carr if avail., Darnold if avail. Dak Prescott if avail. Maybe Alex Smith. Or Fields if they just say screw it and trade picks to get their guy in the draft. 

21 minutes ago, w87r said:

I mean, idk?

I went over the comparison yesterday with you.

In just about every statical category Cousins was better than Stafford. So if so many wanted Stafford they should be jumping at the chance to get Cousins.

Stats comparisons:(career stats)

W/L record:

KC - 51-51-2(so much for being a loser)

MS - 74-90-1

Comp%:

KC - 67%

MS - 62.6%

TD/INT ratio:

KC - 190/84 - 2.26/1

MS - 282/144 - 1.96/1

QB rating:

KC - 97.9

MS - 89.9

INT rate:

KC - 2.3%

MS - 2.3%

Pro Bowls:(doesn't mean much)

KC - 2

MS - 1

Sack%:

KC - 5.5%

MS - 5.8%

TD%:

KC - 5.2%

MS - 4.5%

YPA:

KC - 7.7

MS - 7.7

YPG: (finally something he is better at)

KC - 260.3

MS - 273.4

So you(not nflfan) tell me, if everyone was so pumped about Stafford, why is Cousins not a good option?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/StafMa00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CousKi00.htm

Forgot one other comparison.

Playoff Record:

KC - 1-2

MS - 0-3

6 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

He’s proven to be so far in their careers.  Was even a chip shot field goal miss from winning a playoff game.  And has probably been to the playoffs in his first 4 years just as many times as Stafford has his entire career.  Don’t get me wrong.  I don’t want Mitch.  I just find it crazy how some QB’s are given excuses while others like (Mitch, Bortles, Mariota & RG3 are moved to backup status quickly).  Darnold hasn’t come close to accomplishing what those 3 deemed busts have accomplished in the same or less amount of time.

I think some of what's going on is these rookie coaches are using these young QBs as scapegoats.  Mitch isn't perfect but I bet Frank could work with him.  If he's a naturally accurate passer, I would not hate the signing.

IIRC, his TD/int ratio is much better than Darnold's

6 minutes ago, TheUnshuffler said:

The numbers certainly look good in comparison with Stafford.

Would the Vikings be willing to trade him though? 

Idk? I know @NFLfan would. :D

There was a link posted  last page I think about the possibility. I need to go back and check it out.

Just spit balling here, but given that we have already laid some ground work with the Lions. I wonder if a trade for Goth is possible.

The Detriot is drafting high enough to get a decent QB in the draft to build around and probably had gone over contingency plans that involved not getting a quarterback in return. So they move Goth on to us for a 2021 3rd and 2022 4th or what ever he returns.  I haven't took the time to look at Goth to closely recently but he seems to be as good an option as anyone when it comes to age, experience and upside. 

9 minutes ago, w87r said:

Idk? I know @NFLfan would. :D

There was a link posted  last page I think about the possibility. I need to go back and check it out.

A thing about him to consider that none of those numbers say is that he was brought in as a final piece for a loaded team.. there's a crap ton of talent around him and it underachieves because of him..

1 minute ago, wordofmouth said:

Just spit balling here, but given that we have already laid some ground work with the Lions. I wonder if a trade for Goth is possible.

The Detriot is drafting high enough to get a decent QB in the draft to build around and probably had gone over contingency plans that involved not getting a quarterback in return. So they move Goth on to us for a 2021 3rd and 2022 4th or what ever he returns.  I haven't took the time to look at Goth to closely recently but he seems to be as good an option as anyone when it comes to age, experience and upside. 

Lions have stated that really like Goff and he was a big reason for the trade. I think they are going to keep him.

They got quite the haul.

Just now, bravo4460 said:

Lions have stated that really like Goff and he was a big reason for the trade. I think they are going to keep him.

They got quite the haul.

They sure did.  I would hold on to him too if I was the Detriot.  Just an idea, being that I am not too excited about most of the other options. 

9 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I never thought of Cousins as an option and I'm sad that you made me think about this lol

Sorry, lol, I mainly bring him up because @NFLfan and I tend to go back and forth about him.

I actually think that our first interaction on the site, was over Cousins? You agree nflfan?

I would take Cousins for sure, but yeah he probably isn't an option unfortunately.

17 minutes ago, wordofmouth said:

I think the GM or a higher up executive was with the Rams and was the one that pushed for them to draft Goff in the first place.  He’s probably a big fan of Goff.  Pressure is about to be on Stafford though.

No more excuses about the team and organization. QB’s considered beneath him like Goff, Jimmy G, Cousins, and Trubisky have all been to playoff games in the last 5 years.  Goff and Jimmy G have multiple playoff wins (Cousins got his 1st last year) and each have a Super Bowl appearance.  

Anything short of a decent playoff run (at least 1 win) won’t be considered a good year for Stafford and the Rams.  Gonna be interesting to watch it play out next year.  Plus I think we play the NFC West.  So we’ll get an up close look at Stafford & the Rams next season.

9 minutes ago, The Fish said:

A thing about him to consider that none of those numbers say is that he was brought in as a final piece for a loaded team.. there's a crap ton of talent around him and it underachieves because of him..

Im just going to agree to disagree with you here.

Has taken the Vikings to a 25-21-1 record in 3 years while beating the Saints in playoffs last year.

His defense got gutted this season and still was in the playoff hunt till week 16.

Has a 103.6 qb rating 3/1 td/int rate - 91TD/29INT 69% comp%  while with the Vikings. What else you want from the guy?

It's convenient to place blame on him, but defense dropped from #5 last year to #29 this year.

19 minutes ago, The Fish said:

This  :number1:  

5 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I think the GM or a higher up executive was with the Rams and was the one that pushed for them to draft Goff in the first place.  He’s probably a big fan of Goff.  Pressure is about to be on Stafford though.

No more excuses about the team and organization. QB’s considered beneath him like Goff, Jimmy G, Cousins, and Trubisky have all been to playoff games in the last 5 years.  Goff and Jimmy G have multiple playoff wins (Cousins got his 1st last year) and each have a Super Bowl appearance.  

Anything short of a decent playoff run (at least 1 win) won’t be considered a good year for Stafford and the Rams.  Gonna be interesting to watch it play out next year.  Plus I think we play the NFC West.  So we’ll get an up close look at Stafford & the Rams next season.

Hopefully he will be on the sidline saying "damn I wish they traded me to the Colts!"

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

Has taken the Vikings to a 25-21-1 record in 3 years while beating the Saints in playoffs last year.

His defense got gutted this season and still was in the playoff hunt till week 16.

Has a 103.6 qb rating 3/1 td/int rate - 91TD/29INT 69% comp%  while with the Vikings. What else you want from the guy?

It's convenient to place blame on him, but defense dropped from #5 last year to #29 this year.

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

This  :number1:  

:peek:

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Look what an average QB in Keenum was able to do with basically the same talent except IIRC, Cook missed most of the year. So, Keenum did not have Cook yet he took the Vikings to a 12-3 record. (Bradford was the QB of the 1st game that season.)

A good follow on Twitter is Joe Banner, ex Eagles and Browns GM.  He is still very plugged into the league and had insight last March about the Hopkins and Buckner trades - he knew they were happening before they were announced.

He has a couple of Tweets in the last 36 hours that suggest there is a new day in the NFL where teams are much more willing to take on bad contracts like the Lions did with Goff and get paid for it.  He commented before the trade yesterday on a post by Field Yates that some of these players are available.

Deshaun Watson: $21.6M

Aaron Rodgers: $31.5M

Jared Goff: $22.2M

Matthew Stafford: $19M

Carson Wentz: $33.8M

My gut feeling - Wentz ends up in Indy and has to pay Pittman to get his # 11 jersey.  

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Look what an average QB in Keenum was able to do with basically the same talent except IIRC, Cook missed most of the year. So, Keenum did not have Cook yet he took the Vikings to a 12-3 record. (Bradford was the QB of the 1st game that season.)

Vikings had #1 defense that year.

Me - I love me some Kirk

Nflfan -

Animated GIF

Ok, no more Kirk talk unless you can talk Spielman into trading him here.

54 minutes ago, w87r said:

You see my comparison post, with Cousins and Stafford?

I don't see how so many posters would want Stafford but not him?

I do agree with this statement. And Stafford has about as many if not fewer playoff appearances than Cousins. But the perception is that Stafford is a better QB. (In my mind too, but the numbers don't show that.)

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Brace yourselves JMV was just on FOX 59 saying the only name he’s hearing is Nick Foles.  With that said JMV seemed to be taking the stance of that can’t be true.

I’ve got a lot of family who live in Chicago. They’re hoping that both Mitch and Nick will be gone next season... 

I really hope it doesn’t come to that...

18 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I’ve got a lot of family who live in Chicago. They’re hoping that both Mitch and Nick will be gone next season... 

I really hope it doesn’t come to that...

I am assuming it’s just coming up because of his connection to Reich.  JMV seemed to think Ballard has something his sleeve and he’s keeping it close to the vest.

I listed Foles 10 out of 10 in the qb ranking list thread that I would prefer.(last one I would want)

Saying that, I will say this.

1. Nick Foles did win a SB against Tom Brady with Reich connection.

2. His cap hit would be minimal, with easy out after 2021

2021 - $4m ( $4m guaranteed)

2022 - $8m ($1m guaranteed)

3. Would fall in line as a vet to bridge to Eason(if that is the plan), very knowledgeable in the system. Could be great mentor for Eason.

4. Contract would allow us to spend money on our other key openings

5. Ok.....that's all I got. Please be someone else.:dunno:

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Lol. Come on. Let some other teams enjoy QB success. haha

Lol this is such uncharted territory for Colts fans. It is essentially the first off season since probably before Manning where the Colts QB position is a complete question mark. 

31 minutes ago, w87r said:

I listed Foles 10 out of 10 in the qb ranking list thread that I would prefer.(last one I would want)

Saying that, I will say this.

1. Nick Foles did win a SB against Tom Brady with Reich connection.

2. His cap hit would be minimal, with easy out after 2021

2021 - $4m ( $4m guaranteed)

2022 - $8m ($1m guaranteed)

3. Would fall in line as a vet to bridge to Eason(if that is the plan), very knowledgeable in the system. Could be great mentor for Eason.

4. Contract would allow us to spend money on our other key openings

5. Ok.....that's all I got. Please be someone else.:dunno:

He's near the top of that list for me. THAT, with the options offered, for all the reasons you offered. 

Fitz, and Dalton are up there also.

Cam is 10 for me. 

4 minutes ago, buccolts said:

He's near the top of that list for me. THAT, with the options offered, for all the reasons you offered. 

Fitz, and Dalton are up there also.

Cam is 10 for me. 

Im going to leave him at 10 and just take a look at these positives to make myself feel better if it happens. 

I have Fitz a 3 I think, Cam at 4 or 5. Dalton at 9(just meh)

Cam would make our run game pretty nasty, RPO would be crazy and if he could not throw 1 hoppers to WRs it could be deadly. That's a big if though.

In actuality I hope it isn't any of those guys 

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

Im going to leave him at 10 and just take a look at these positives to make myself feel better if it happens. 

I have Fitz a 3 I think, Cam at 4 or 5. Dalton at 9(just meh)

Cam would make our run game pretty nasty, RPO would be crazy and if he could not throw 1 hoppers to WRs it could be deadly. That's a big if though.

In actuality I hope it isn't any of those guys 

Chances are Ballard will sign one as a bridge to Eason in 22 

Archived