Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll - QB Preference (now that PR has officially retired) (merge)

EastStreet

Poll - QB Preference  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

• Roll with Eason
    • Roll with JB
    • Unlock the Swag
    • Sign FA Fitzmagic
    • Sign FA Winston
    • Sign FA Trubisky
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Trade our 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up earlier in the 2nd to draft Trask
    • Use our 2nd round pick to draft Newman
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Stafford
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Carr
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Wentz
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Darnold
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Tua
    • Mortgage the future biggly, and trade our next three first round picks and next two to three 2nd round picks to get Watson.
    • Other - please list
  2. 2. Would you have preferred Rivers stayed one more year?

3. 3. How much faith and confidence do you have in Ballard to make the right call on QB?

• Blind faith, I have a picture of him in my house that I worship daily
    • Pretty confident
    • Not sure right now
    • Not a lot, but hoping for the best
    • Zero confidence

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2021 at 02:03 AM

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, PeterBowman said:

Also Lawson...he's probably the big one...Shaq Barrett in Tampa though I feel Tampa will push hard to resign him

Barrett, that's who i was thinking of, thank you!  I was reading an article earlier in the week, he's saying he feels he's earned a record payday and wont take a team discount to come back.  Said he did that once already and he's been well underpaid (he was paid as a UDFA) so he's looking for a big cap hit for sure. 

6 minutes ago, BSteph1 said:

At the end of the day, money is what draws free agents. If the Colts give them more of it than other teams, they won’t have a problem signing free agents.

There are caveats to that of course — players near the end of the line who are ring shopping and players looking to maximize performance on one-year, prove-it deals before hitting the market again — but in most other scenarios money talks.

Money talks but a chance to win a SB does too. I get what you are saying though :thmup:

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Money talks but a chance to win a SB does too. I get what you are saying though :thmup:

this is true. But of all the QB needy teams, we're listed as the "most complete" in just about every article ive seen. I'm not sure who else would even come close. So that will help offset any Wentz drama. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Shaq Barrett and Chris Godwin are both younger than Lavonte David. Good chance Lavonte David is the ring chasing guy that might give them a decent discount. Barrett and Godwin are looking for their first big long term payday. 

If we HAD TO choose between Freeney or Mathis and Dallas Clark, who do you think we would choose? We will choose Freeney or Mathis most of the time. That is what I think will happen and TB will prioritize Barrett over Godwin. They may tag David but Barrett would want a long term deal.

Plus, given the success of rookie WRs like Claypool, CeeDee Lamb, and our own Pittman, when accompanied with a good QB, I would venture to think a WR becomes a little more expendable when you do have options in the pass catching department, like the Bucs have.

25 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Good luck in FA with these positions without a QB.

Well I just got off the phone too, and it was reiterated to me that Luck was coming back.

Granted the guy I was talking to was the guy that took my pizza delivery order also, but I just got off the phone too, damnit!

12 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Good find, Chloe, as always. :thmup:

Defensive position, I would not worry about. Elite WR, yes I would be worried about. Get the QB before that offensive skill position because Ballard never engages in bidding wars, IMO.

I am thinking Carl Lawson for DE. I am thinking Robinson or Godwin for WR. The Bucs, if Antonio Brown comes back, are loaded at WR with good route runners like Tyler Johnson, and Scotty Miller underneath. Plus, if they get Gronk back and Cameron Brate, who is a stellar route runner is also back, Godwin is not as valuable to the Bucs as Bucs are to Godwin, IMO.

Re-signing their defensive core pieces like Shaq Barrett and Lavonte David would be more important, if I am the Bucs, because they were the difference makers in the playoff run, not Godwin. However, if Godwin asks for an arm and a leg, I would rather pay that to Allen Robinson, IMO.

For whatever it's worth WRs have not had good success with Wentz. He's been doing well passing to TEs and RBs though. Now... part of it might be that Philly didn't have good receivers, but yeah... 

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

For whatever it's worth WRs have not had good success with Wentz. He's been doing well passing to TEs and RBs though. Now... part of it might be that Philly didn't have good receivers, but yeah... 

Yeah, their No.1 WR, when he was healthy, Alshon, had stats like a No.2 WR, but that could also be said of our offense, right? We spread it around so much that in terms of production, looking from the outside, TY and Pittman's numbers may not pop out. But the difference is crunch time when Wentz needed Alshon to go up and get it like Plaxico did for Eli or Alshon using his big body for a slant for a critical 3rd down completion, it seemed to happen. That element is missing with our No.1 wide out, IMO.

8 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

well that is exciting if true!  Is this guy a reliable source?

Well, they have a pretty popular podcast.  I wouldn’t say that he’s just a random troll in his basement.  But I guess that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s infallible.

But I’m a bit confused by OT merely being “looked at closely.”  I can’t imagine that position won’t be a high priority.  But maybe he just means that they’re more focused on tending to that in the draft rather than FA.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, their No.1 WR, when he was healthy, Alshon, had stats like a No.2 WR, but that could also be said of our offense, right? We spread it around so much that in terms of production, looking from the outside, TY and Pittman's numbers may not pop out. But the difference is crunch time when Wentz needed Alshon to go up and get it like Plaxico did for Eli or Alshon using his big body for a slant for a critical 3rd down completion, it seemed to happen. That element is missing with our No.1 wide out, IMO.

Some of that might be Reichs offense likes to spread the ball around. Phili didn’t have a WR over 800 yards when they won the SB.

Just now, luv_pony_express said:

Well, they have a pretty popular podcast.  I wouldn’t say that he’s just a random troll in his basement.  But I guess that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s infallible.

But I’m a bit confused by OT merely being “looked at closely.”  I can’t imagine that position won’t be a high priority.  But maybe he just means that they’re more focused on tending to that in the draft rather than FA.

They have the draft but also the option of icing Nelson. It does give them some flexibility.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

With Buckner I doubt we can afford another huge contract on the dline like Barrett. Did see though we could restructure Buckner deal to create more cap space.

we have plenty to swing another 15 -18 mil per year deal. easily.

1 minute ago, luv_pony_express said:

If there is something I would leave to the draft, it is WR over OT, IMO. I mean, CeeDee Lamb, Tee Higgins, Claypool, Pittman, and give these rookie WRs a good QB, you can get production. But it is not an easy task to get used to NFL strength and regimen for a critical position such as LT, OL is typically worth the money spent in free agency if you do your research and pay well for a good one.

5 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

This is very telling 

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

we have plenty to swing another 15 -18 mil per year deal. easily.

That is why I feel get the OT like Trent Williams or Villanueva for $15 mil. per for a couple of years in a year where the cap goes down, buy the time, still draft one if one presents itself as value, and put the money between QB, pass rusher and OT in FA. WR, get him from the draft because ROI is better for rookie WRs than rookie pass rushers or OTs, IMO.

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

They have the draft but also the option of icing Nelson. It does give them some flexibility.

Personally, I’m not enthused by the prospect of moving Q to OT.  The guy has trained his whole career to play OG.  Moving him, we could risk losing the best OG in the game and gaining a not-so-great OT.

It’s about like the McGregor v. Mayweather fight.  I had friends betting on McGregor and I was just stunned.  I don’t care how great an MMA fighter he is.  This is boxing.  It’s not the same thing.  And he’s stepping into the ring for his first ever professional boxing match against one of the best boxers in history.

I love Big Q.  He’s incredible.  But he’s a guard, not a tackle.

1 minute ago, luv_pony_express said:

Personally, I’m not enthused by the prospect of moving Q to OT.  The guy has trained his whole career to play OG.  Moving him, we could risk losing the best OG in the game and gaining a not-so-great OT.

It’s about like the McGregor v. Mayweather fight.  I had friends betting on McGregor and I was just stunned.  I don’t care how great an MMA fighter he is.  This is boxing.  It’s not the same thing.  And he’s stepping into the ring for his first ever professional boxing match against one of the best boxers in history.

It could just be for a year. Just gives them some flexibility. One of the Indy media guys said Nelson could of played tackle at ND but they already had one so he played guard.

7 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I agree that it isn't preferable but for the short term i can see it happening unless we bring in a vet OT

21 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

With Buckner I doubt we can afford another huge contract on the dline like Barrett. Did see though we could restructure Buckner deal to create more cap space.

Buckner isn't restructuring his deal this year. He is already at $1m base, RB is guaranteed and he is underpaid for his value this season.

35 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

well that is exciting if true!  Is this guy a reliable source?

Think Vin Fosh, without talking in absolutes.

Jason likes to post stuff then leave himself a back pedal out of it within the same post.

So never actually really saying anything.

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

Jason likes to post stuff then leave himself a back pedal out of it within the same post.

I think fans have to remember colts can have the desire to sign certain positions but actually being able to get it done are two different things. Players have to want to come here and money can make or break it happening. So he is right when he says they have a desire.

7 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I agree that it isn't preferable but for the short term i can see it happening unless we bring in a vet OT

Well, it did happen for portions of a game this past season when AC was missing time.  But I think it was telling that it didn't last very long.  We ended up bringing in Veldheer and I thought he did pretty well (especially considering that he'd been out of the game all season).

I don't recall any glaring mistakes or anything like that on Q's part.  But it seemed apparent they didn't want to do this any more than they had to.  We'll see what happens in the draft.  One recent mock had us getting Notre Dame's Eichenberg.  I have no idea who's available on the FA market.  But, IMO, good LTs are about like QBs -- when a team has one, they do everything they can to hang onto him.

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think fans have to remember colts can have the desire to sign certain positions but actually being able to get it done are two different things. Players have to want to come here and money can make or break it happening. So he is right when he says they have a desire.

@w87r is not saying that Spears is wrong just telling @Fluke_33 that he is not real trustworthy as a primary source

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

So is he the Jasoninator? confused homer simpson GIF

I Like Bingo GIF by WNBA

12 minutes ago, w87r said:

In fairness, he and his co-host did break a bunch of coaching news about Colts assistants this offseason. I think they definitely have a source somewhere in the organization — probably a coach who’s been on their podcast. 

1 minute ago, BSteph1 said:

In fairness, he and his co-host did break a bunch of coaching news about Colts assistants this offseason. I think they definitely have a source somewhere in the organization — probably a coach who’s been on their podcast. 

Sesame Street Thank You GIF by HBO Max

For the additional info  I had already mentioned this to @Fluke_33 but hadn’t been real specific 

Archived