Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll - QB Preference (now that PR has officially retired) (merge)

Poll - QB Preference  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

• Roll with Eason
    • Roll with JB
    • Unlock the Swag
    • Sign FA Fitzmagic
    • Sign FA Winston
    • Sign FA Trubisky
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Trade our 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up earlier in the 2nd to draft Trask
    • Use our 2nd round pick to draft Newman
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Stafford
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Carr
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Wentz
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Darnold
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Tua
    • Mortgage the future biggly, and trade our next three first round picks and next two to three 2nd round picks to get Watson.
    • Other - please list
  2. 2. Would you have preferred Rivers stayed one more year?

3. 3. How much faith and confidence do you have in Ballard to make the right call on QB?

• Blind faith, I have a picture of him in my house that I worship daily
    • Pretty confident
    • Not sure right now
    • Not a lot, but hoping for the best
    • Zero confidence

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2021 at 02:03 AM

9 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

The start of getting Wilson would cost 2 or 3 1s

A bit much for my taste

Ballard is great at drafting 

Keep the picks 

As great as he is drafting, we stil don't know if he can draft a QB yet.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eason was starter got hurt, Fromm came in played well and they elected to stay with him and Eason transferred       If you want to go that route then, Justin Fields couldn't beat o

I just wish this Wentz story would end 

The Texans aren't trading Watson to the Colts under any scenario.  Imo

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I just can't see Ballard giving up 3 or 4 draft picks for Wentz, especially any 1st's. Maybe he would, not sure? If it was like a 2nd this year and next year and maybe throw in Doyle I could see that I guess. Back to back 2nd's = 2021 and 2022 and Doyle would be fair because Wentz has really regressed and some say created turmoil in the locker room. We may be able to fix his play a bit but the mental part is quite concerning. Will he be a good teammate, etc.. I am sure Ballard is taking that under huge consideration.

Do you really think Frank Reich and Chris Ballard would be involved in two weeks of talks if they were at all worried about Wentz being a good teammate?   Does that sound like them?   Come on now.... 

This was only year one of Ballard looking for the Colts long term solution at QB. One draft, and he took a QB. If, after two more drafts and three years of looking, he has come up empty, then I’ll be concerned. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, coltsva said:

This was only year one of Ballard looking for the Colts long term solution at QB. One draft, and he took a QB. If, after two more drafts and three years of looking, he has come up empty, then I’ll be concerned. 

Ballard is safe

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I just don't get how some in here think any of the QB's I named at the end of my above post can get us anywhere in the AFC. Am I missing something?

You may have to google their names, but Week 22 winners I can remember include

Jeff Hostetler

Trent Dilfer

Joe Flacco, Darnold's backup.

And Drew Brees was a reject, who won in Week 22.

Also, Colts have only 1 signed QB now, so maybe you're expecting too much.

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Do you really think Frank Reich and Chris Ballard would be involved in two weeks of talks if they were at all worried about Wentz being a good teammate?   Does that sound like them?   Come on now.... 

I really don't know what to believe because a lot of these tweets and trade scenario's being thrown around could be false in reality. I don't know. If someone like Rapoport or Schefter would post a trade scenario that we have put on the table, I would believe it more. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I really don't know what to believe because a lot of these tweets and trade scenario's being thrown around could be false in reality. I don't know. If someone like Rapoport or Schefter would post a trade scenario that we have put on the table, I would believe it more. 

Believe in Foshinator Register To Vote Voter Registration GIF by #GoVote

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Doesn’t matter what the trade offers are.   Assume they’re all wrong.

But you know they’ve been talking.  Negotiating.   That’s not in doubt.  Mainstream media confirms that.   So if we're negotiating then we’re comfortable with Wentz at several levels.   Physically and mentally.  We think he will be a good teammate.  

Everything else is just noise to be ignored. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not saying I know more than them (of course I don't), I would be surprised if Ballard went through trading for Wentz though. If he does than I will go with it and accept it and trust his judgement.

If the reports are true that Ballard has put out an offer (regardless of what that offer consists of from a compensation perspective), then, in his mind, he is prepared for that offer to be accepted.

So, in reality, he already has gone through with it. 

Just another way of framing things up.  :D

Chris, Frank, the offensive coaching staff, and undoubtedly some of the scouting staff, have all been watching tape, reaching out to those that know Wentz (beyond Frank, who was obviously very close to him in 2017), and delving into fit-based evaluations that we have never even contemplated (beyond just whether Wentz fits the scheme and the locker room) on the board.

And they obviously liked what they saw/like the potential enough to pursue him.  But that potential is all based against risk, which comes down to the asking price.  The fact Wentz can be cut with no more financial obligation in 2 years is a bonus.  Furthermore, any loss of picks can be supplemented by pursuing FAs this year and next year.  And that's possible by virtue of the fact that, with Wentz, the QB room would be going from $45m a year to roughly $25m a year (Wentz + Eason).

Pretty substantial savings.  But not as substantial as a rookie contract would be.  But, any rookie contract via the draft would have to be supplemented by a veteran backup.  So the QB room is going to be in that $20m range regardless. 

Decisions, decisions! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

If the reports are true that Ballard has put out an offer (regardless of what that offer consists of from a compensation perspective), then, in his mind, he is prepared for that offer to be accepted.

So, in reality, he already has gone through with it. 

Just another way of framing things up.  :D

Chris, Frank, the offensive coaching staff, and undoubtedly some of the scouting staff, have all been watching tape, reaching out to those that know Wentz (beyond Frank, who was obviously very close to him in 2017), and delving into fit-based evaluations that we have never even contemplated (beyond just whether Wentz fits the scheme and the locker room) on the board.

And they obviously liked what they saw/like the potential enough to pursue him.  But that potential is all based against risk, which comes down to the asking price.  The fact Wentz can be cut with no more financial obligation in 2 years is a bonus.  Furthermore, any loss of picks can be supplemented by pursuing FAs this year and next year.  And that's possible by virtue of the fact that, with Wentz, the QB room would be going from $45m a year to roughly $25m a year (Wentz + Eason).

Pretty substantial savings.  But not as substantial as a rookie contract would be.  But, any rookie contract via the draft would have to be supplemented by a veteran backup.  So the QB room is going to be in that $20m range regardless. 

Decisions, decisions! 

Heckuva post!   Well said.   

Appreciate the thought and the writing behind it!    :thmup:

:colts:

• Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Heckuva post!   Well said.   

Appreciate the thought and the writing behind it!    :thmup:

:colts:

Thank you very much for the kind words my friend! 

This has been a very fun thread.  Colts off-seasons are something else haha!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I saw today Jalen Hurts is already getting WR together to practice. Seems they are ready to move on. Quicker we get a deal done for a QB the sooner they can do throwing together.

OK

I see what you did there. :dunno:

That's my 3am analyst. All I got, back to bed for a couple more hours.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, PeacefulEasonFeeling said:

How do we KNOW? Man, we are both tortured and blessed to be Colts fans. And spoiled. Is what it is.

We KNOW because the two players that we’ve been heavily linked to are Stanford and Wentz.   And many posters here hated them both. 

We’re not linked with any of the glamour names and for good reason.  They’re not available.     That’s how we know. 

EDIT:   By the way, been meaning to tell you....   Nice handle for the website.   It's one of my favorites.  Very clever.    Love a good play on words!     PeacefulEasonFeeling!     :thmup:

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

We KNOW because the two players that we’ve been heavily linked to are Stanford and Wentz.   And many posters here hated them both. 

We’re not linked with any of the glamour names and for good reason.  They’re not available.     That’s how we know. 

EDIT:   By the way, been meaning to tell you....   Nice handle for the website.   It's one of my favorites.  Very clever.    Love a good play on words!     PeacefulEasonFeeling!     :thmup:

Thanks! I thought it was funny... actually came to me listening to the referenced song.

And speaking of Eason... lol... I don’t understand why some fans here are soooo dismissive. Hence my ‘how do we know’. Realistically, until our next QB plays, we won’t.

Cheers!!!

1 hour ago, PeacefulEasonFeeling said:

Thanks! I thought it was funny... actually came to me listening to the referenced song.

And speaking of Eason... lol... I don’t understand why some fans here are soooo dismissive. Hence my ‘how do we know’. Realistically, until our next QB plays, we won’t.

Cheers!!!

The Eagles, the band and not the football team, are my all time favorite group. Probably dates me a bit. 

On Eason, I think we know he is not deemed to be the guy for 2021 based on the very clear reports that the Colts were in on Stafford and are now in on Wentz.  If the team was sure on Eason, why look into the others?

Now Eason could be the guy by default if Ballard strikes out with Wentz and Darnold and whoever else but I sincerely doubt that happens.  

34 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Now Eason could be the guy by default if Ballard strikes out with Wentz and Darnold and whoever else but I sincerely doubt that happens.

As do most, but apparently some want to take the notion of it being mentioned to an extreme, and take it to that's what people actually want.

/rant 

Not towards you. Carry on.

Ballard is shopping for a QB like most of us shop for a house. Look at all options and make offers on the ones you like bc there will be multiple homes/players that fit the bill. There will be counter offers and Ballard will decide if a deal can be made within our budget.  Any smart shopper never goes over budget bc they realize even if it’s a dream home it will need repairs and upgrades just like the roster will need repaired and upgraded. I’m confident Ballard won’t overpay for a QB and leave our future in jeopardy.  

• Like 5
8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If I understand your background, you’re a military man.   So I think you’re seasoned enough, and wise enough to understand this concept. 

Sometimes in life there are no good options, only poor or bad options.  And the job, the skill, is to figure out which is the least bad option?   Which is the best of all the poor options?   It sucks to be us, but this is where I think we are.  

The best options aren’t available.  And so here we are. 

All very true words. I don't disagree with any of it.  Although I will add that if the only option you have in combat is a broken down WW1 rifle that barely can fire while the enemy is floating around with AK47s and RPKS, then you better hope that WW1 rifle is still accurate and can help keep you in the fight. Otherwise, you may as well retreat and try to find something else, and try to stay alive while doing so. 

On the football side, we were able to do that with old man Rivers last year.  The question is, just how broken is Wentz(or Ryan or Darnold etc), how accurate can they be and would it be better off to just retreat and try to find a new weapon via the draft?  That's where I'm at on this whole topic and frankly, i think the risks are the same no matter which way we go. As you said, there are no good options and nothing is guaranteed. 

BTW, just for the record, this is second trade for QB where Ballard reportedly is refusing to give up 21 in - in the first one he was reportedly willing to give up players to get to the level the Lions wanted the value of the package and here he seems to be willing to include extra picks to get to the level the Eagles want the value of the package...

Yet again... to me this looks like he has a specific plan for 21 that he doesn't want to give up. OT, DE, WR? CB? QB? 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, stitches said:

BTW, just for the record, this is second trade for QB where Ballard reportedly is refusing to give up 21 in - in the first one he was reportedly willing to give up players to get to the level the Lions wanted the value of the package and here he seems to be willing to include extra picks to get to the level the Eagles want the value of the package...

Yet again... to me this looks like he has a specific plan for 21 that he doesn't want to give up. OT, DE, WR? CB? QB? 

Impossible to say but odds are, he has a plan for it for sure. It will likely be a draft day developing plan or ten. If we still have that pick and depending on how this QB thing shakes out, will be an interesting day for sure.  I just hope he actually uses it this year vs trading back but if he does trade back, i hope he gets a huge return.

From JT Barczak (@jtbarczak): Who is the Bears’ starter at QB in 2021?

Straightforward question, JT, so I’ll give you a straightforward answer: Carson Wentz. And I don’t feel great about giving you that answer right now, mostly because the way the Wentz situation has played out, in general, doesn’t lend itself to easy answers. I believe the Eagles overshot the market to begin with by asking for the Lions’ Matthew Stafford return for Wentz. I also think their insistence on coming away with a first-rounder-plus is why things have slowed.

Both the Colts and Bears are interested, but there are hang-ups for both. My sense is Indy would want this to be more of a two-year flier than a full-on marriage to Wentz, and it’s important to remember that the Colts didn’t put their first-rounder on the table for Stafford—which shows the sort of discipline GM Chris Ballard is operating with. As for Chicago, mortgaging future assets might be a tough sell to ownership, given that the team’s football brass will be fighting to keep jobs this year.

I also think the experience the coaches in both places (Frank Reich in Indy, John DeFilippo in Chicago) have with Wentz cuts both ways. They know the good. They understand the ins-and-outs of what Wentz needs fixed mechanically. They also know how he’s reacted to hard coaching in the past, and how, over his first two years, the Eagles were able to scheme around some of the weaknesses in his game.

I’m fascinated to see where this goes.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/02/10/nfl-mailbag-remembering-marty-schottenheimer-2021-quarterbacks

nice little Q&A here on Wentz

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, w87r said:

From JT Barczak (@jtbarczak): Who is the Bears’ starter at QB in 2021?

Straightforward question, JT, so I’ll give you a straightforward answer: Carson Wentz. And I don’t feel great about giving you that answer right now, mostly because the way the Wentz situation has played out, in general, doesn’t lend itself to easy answers. I believe the Eagles overshot the market to begin with by asking for the Lions’ Matthew Stafford return for Wentz. I also think their insistence on coming away with a first-rounder-plus is why things have slowed.

Both the Colts and Bears are interested, but there are hang-ups for both. My sense is Indy would want this to be more of a two-year flier than a full-on marriage to Wentz, and it’s important to remember that the Colts didn’t put their first-rounder on the table for Stafford—which shows the sort of discipline GM Chris Ballard is operating with. As for Chicago, mortgaging future assets might be a tough sell to ownership, given that the team’s football brass will be fighting to keep jobs this year.

I also think the experience the coaches in both places (Frank Reich in Indy, John DeFilippo in Chicago) have with Wentz cuts both ways. They know the good. They understand the ins-and-outs of what Wentz needs fixed mechanically. They also know how he’s reacted to hard coaching in the past, and how, over his first two years, the Eagles were able to scheme around some of the weaknesses in his game.

I’m fascinated to see where this goes.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/02/10/nfl-mailbag-remembering-marty-schottenheimer-2021-quarterbacks

nice little Q&A here on Wentz

If we consider Wentz a 2 year flyer ... then getting a QB in the draft is not out of the question, especially if it's one not expected to be ready year 1... like... Trey Lance maybe? I think I would prefer we spend less resources on the bridge/flyer if we are spending premier picks for the QB in the draft though. 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

If we consider Wentz a 2 year flyer ... then getting a QB in the draft is not out of the question, especially if it's one not expected to be ready year 1... like... Trey Lance maybe? 

I wouldn't think we would be drafting a QB in the 1st if this was the case.

That would mean we have following picks wrapped up in QB's and unable to evaluate the 2 young guys like would be needed. That is 1 expensive bridge.

(1) 1st

(2) 2nds

(1) 3rd

(1) 4th

Without a guaranteed long term answer.

If the Wentz trade goes through(hopefully not), I imagine the plan is to roll with Wentz and Eason. See if Eason could be ready on 2022 or 2023.

Just makes zero sense to add another rookie to this equation 

• Like 4
1 minute ago, w87r said:

That would mean we have following picks wrapped up in QB's and unable to evaluate the 2 young guys like would be needed. That is 1 expensive bridge.

(1) 1st

(2) 2nds

(1) 3rd

(1) 4th

If the Wentz trade goes through(hopefully not), I imagine the plan is to roll with Wentz and Eason. See if Eason could be ready on 2022 or 2023.

I really think it has to be a LT in that scenario.  And they can sometimes take a while to be ready.  It wouldn’t surprise me to see a LT rookie at LG for a while while Nelson kicks out to LT until they can switch back. 

tarik Glenn spent his whole rookie season at guard iirc. 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, w87r said:

(1) 1st

(2) 2nds

(1) 3rd

(1) 4th

Yep, agree... that's one expensive bridge/flyer. That's why I wouldn't do it. If it was a 3d rounder, I would. I would much rather use all those assets on trading up from 21 to go get our QB of the future from the draft. Also... again... Eason... we talked about it earlier... I wouldn't be making any franchise QB plans based on his presence on this roster. 

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yes, that thought occurred to me too.  He's probably got at four players penciled in there.  Some OTs and some DEs.  He can't give up 21 now, at least before free agency.

39 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I really think it has to be a LT in that scenario.  And they can sometimes take a while to be ready.  It wouldn’t surprise me to see a LT rookie at LG for a while while Nelson kicks out to LT until they can switch back. 

tarik Glenn spent his whole rookie season at guard iirc. 

i agree, if we don't have our 2s, most likely we're gonna make a move at T or even G. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yes, that thought occurred to me too.  He's probably got at four players penciled in there.  Some OTs and some DEs.  He can't give up 21 now, at least before free agency.

...which is probably why he moves down if 3 of them there within striking distance while gaining a pick. He cannot do that with his 2nd rounder. He has done that in 2019 and 2020.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I honestly don't think if we trade for Wentz he will draw FA's to our team. Ryan might though, I know Watson would, Luck would.

At the end of the day, money is what draws free agents. If the Colts give them more of it than other teams, they won’t have a problem signing free agents.

There are caveats to that of course — players near the end of the line who are ring shopping and players looking to maximize performance on one-year, prove-it deals before hitting the market again — but in most other scenarios money talks.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Who are the elite EDGE possibilities?.  I can think of Godwin and Robinson as the WRs

whats his face down in Tampa, Barissta, is a FA and Tampa has a LOT of FAs this year and little cap to do much

10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Good luck in FA with these positions without a QB.

Good find, Chloe, as always. :thmup:

Defensive position, I would not worry about. Elite WR, yes I would be worried about. Get the QB before that offensive skill position because Ballard never engages in bidding wars, IMO.

I am thinking Carl Lawson for DE. I am thinking Robinson or Godwin for WR. The Bucs, if Antonio Brown comes back, are loaded at WR with good route runners like Tyler Johnson, and Scotty Miller underneath. Plus, if they get Gronk back and Cameron Brate, who is a stellar route runner is also back, Godwin is not as valuable to the Bucs as Bucs are to Godwin, IMO.

Re-signing their defensive core pieces like Shaq Barrett and Lavonte David would be more important, if I am the Bucs, because they were the difference makers in the playoff run, not Godwin. However, if Godwin asks for an arm and a leg, I would rather pay that to Allen Robinson, IMO.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Who are the elite EDGE possibilities?.  I can think of Godwin and Robinson as the WRs

Yannick Ngokue, Shaq Barrett, and the Matt Judon are some of the highest profile names. Bud Dupree is another, but he’s coming off an ACL. Romeo Okwara and Carl Lawson both had really strong years in 2020 but have limited track records before that.

• Like 2
  • Shive locked this topic
  • Shive pinned this topic
  • Shive unpinned this topic