Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll - QB Preference (now that PR has officially retired) (merge)

EastStreet

Poll - QB Preference  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

• Roll with Eason
    • Roll with JB
    • Unlock the Swag
    • Sign FA Fitzmagic
    • Sign FA Winston
    • Sign FA Trubisky
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Trade our 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up earlier in the 2nd to draft Trask
    • Use our 2nd round pick to draft Newman
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Stafford
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Carr
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Wentz
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Darnold
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Tua
    • Mortgage the future biggly, and trade our next three first round picks and next two to three 2nd round picks to get Watson.
    • Other - please list
  2. 2. Would you have preferred Rivers stayed one more year?

3. 3. How much faith and confidence do you have in Ballard to make the right call on QB?

• Blind faith, I have a picture of him in my house that I worship daily
    • Pretty confident
    • Not sure right now
    • Not a lot, but hoping for the best
    • Zero confidence

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2021 at 02:03 AM

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The twittersphere is starting to do the math I'm seeing. 

Now we're entertaining Famous Jamis, the crab leg guy, who went full POTUS in his college days in his cafeteria...

Bridgey Tedwater is in the fold too..

lol. 

Honestly- let's just hope Ballard is better at this than we are. I know that's kind of a "duh" point- but I'm sensing a slow rolling realization that this isn't ideal.

QB Tiers for me at this point:

Tier 1:(no specific order)

Deshaun Watson(pipe dream)

Derek Carr(feasible)

Kirk Cousins @NFLfan

Sam Darnold(low risk/high reward)

Aaron Rodgers(not likely available)

Dak Prescott

Tier 2:

Marcus Mariota(bridge)

Tua (if Dolphins trade for Watson/or draft qb)

Jared Goff(if Detroit tries to move on from him)

Matt Ryan

Tier 3:

Carson Wentz(looking more and more like a gamble we might need to make)

Jacob Eason(let him roll or compete with Rookie/or vet)

QB at #21

QB after trading back from #21

Drew Lock(if Broncos move on)

Mitchell Trubisky

Jalen Hurts

Teddy Bridgewater

Tier 4:

Ryan Fitzpatrick(see eason above)

Jameis Winston

Cam Newton

QB trading up in draft

Gardner Minshew

Nick Foles

Jordan Love(to compete with Eason)

Alex Smith(1 year to help Eason)

Taylor Heinicke

There ia a pretty good chance 1 of these happen? 

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Good thing Ballard drafted Eason or we wouldn’t have any QB Lol. People don’t realize if Eason had played one more year in college he very well might of went in the first round. He was pretty dynamic at GA as a freshman. The system at WA didn’t have the weapons like GA had.

My thing is, Jake Fromm is TRASH, and Eason couldn't even beat him for the job.

20 minutes ago, w87r said:

QB Tiers for me at this point:

Tier 1:(no specific order)

Deshaun Watson(pipe dream)

Derek Carr(feasible)

Kirk Cousins @NFLfan

Sam Darnold(low risk/high reward)

Aaron Rodgers(not likely available)

Dak Prescott

Tier 2:

Marcus Mariota(bridge)

Tua (if Dolphins trade for Watson/or draft qb)

Jared Goff(if Detroit tries to move on from him)

Matt Ryan

Tier 3:

Carson Wentz(looking more and more like a gamble we might need to make)

Jacob Eason(let him roll or compete with Rookie/or vet)

QB at #21

QB after trading back from #21

Drew Lock(if Broncos move on)

Mitchell Trubisky

Jalen Hurts

Teddy Bridgewater

Tier 4:

Ryan Fitzpatrick(see eason above)

Jameis Winston

Cam Newton

QB trading up in draft

Gardner Minshew

Nick Foles

Jordan Love(to compete with Eason)

Alex Smith

Taylor Heinicke

There ia a pretty good chance 1 of these happen? 

Look at all of the possibilities.  I would imagine Ballard is going to have a difficult time in deciding what to do in resigning our own players and FA until he has a good idea on how much cap space he is going to have to plan for at QB.  I hope they have plan B ready to go.  

2 minutes ago, BlueSince87 said:

My thing is, Jake Fromm is TRASH, and Eason couldn't even beat him for the job.

Eason was starter got hurt, Fromm came in played well and they elected to stay with him and Eason transferred

If you want to go that route then, Justin Fields couldn't beat out Fromm either so he transferred to Ohio State.

Burrow couldn't beat out Haskins?

Everything isn't so cut and dry.

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Look at all of the possibilities.  I would imagine Ballard is going to have a difficult time in deciding what to do in resigning our own players and FA until he has a good idea on how much cap space he is going to have to plan for at QB.  I hope they have plan B ready to go.  

Im sure they do just hope it is someone from those top 2 tiers. :D

So exactly who from the list is actually, really, available.  Not who we might trade for if their team drafts a QB, but available now.  The only QBs that have been mentioned as being officially available for trade were Stafford and Ryan (who has contract entanglements)

Trubisky a FA?

Fitxpatrick a FA?

Who else?

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

So exactly who from the list is actually, really, available.  Not who we might trade for if their team drafts a QB, but available now.  The only QBs that have been mentioned as being officially available for trade were Stafford and Ryan (who has contract entanglements)

Trubisky a FA?

Fitxpatrick a FA?

Who else?

Well it's all speculation.

Dak is a FA

Cam Newton is FA

Jameis Winston is FA

Been rumors about Wentz, Carr, Tua, Darnold

Mariota is backup, so could see him being obtainable.

Rumored Alex Smith will be available as he would save Washington like $18m or something(w/o looking up)

Its just a lot of conjecture, but potential possibilities.

Sounds like we’ll be waiting and talking about this for a while now. There’s honestly no point in Ballard trying to jump the gun and make a desperate move. 

At this exact moment, it’s probably Brissett and Eason. That can change within the week or next day, but that’s where we’re at ladies and gents. 

9 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Sounds like we’ll be waiting and talking about this for a while now. There’s honestly no point in Ballard trying to jump the gun and make a desperate move. 

At this exact moment, it’s probably Brissett and Eason. That can change within the week or next day, but that’s where we’re at ladies and gents. 

I think If they have a plan B in place go ahead and make the move asap. The longer you wait someone might get in front of you and the move could cost more.  "He who hesitates is lost."  

26 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think If they have a plan B in place go ahead and make the move asap. The longer you wait someone might get in front of you and the move could cost more.  "He who hesitates is lost."  

Cheap vet to compete  with eason

58 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Unless he doesn’t like any of the other options. Personally I’m not too confident in those available... but I’m far from ever being a GM (thank god for that).

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

One if the Indy writers said from what he understands the colts have multiple ways they wanted to go. Stafford was just the first option that came up. Let’s hope Ballard doesn’t strike out on all of them.

offer Dak the moon and the stars and wait to see if Jeerah tags him again

if not, Ballard gets a (very expensive) QB; if so, maybe that jump-starts some trade talks

I saw a tweet how more teams should be willing to take on a bad contract if that means you get extra draft picks.  Why not take on a Carson Wentz is that gives you some extra compensation. For instance what I posted in the other thread. Where you would swap first round picks with the eagles for a future one. So we would get the 6th pick and Wentz and give up a 22 first and maybe another mid  rounder. If you can fit it in sometimes it is worth it to get the extra draft capital.

22 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I saw a tweet how more teams should be willing to take on a bad contract if that means you get extra draft picks.  Why not take on a Carson Wentz is that gives you some extra compensation. For instance what I posted in the other thread. Where you would swap first round picks with the eagles for a future one. So we would get the 6th pick and Wentz and give up a 22 first and maybe another mid  rounder. If you can fit it in sometimes it is worth it to get the extra draft capital.

I don't think the Eagles will give up #6 to get rid of Wentz.

I could see them giving up their early 2nd.

They might try to trade him after June 1st. Which would save them $15.4m in 2021, but leave dead caps of $19.3m in 2021 and $24.5m in 2022.

So maybe 2022 2nd/or 3rd + Wentz for 2022 4th/or 5th?

I guess it could go both ways though, they would have to pick up his $10m roster bonus in 2021 in the above scenario but would free up $14.8m more in 2021 cap space than a pre June 1at trade. As they only clear up $853k if they trade him now, but have a $33.8m dead cap hit in 2021, but none for 2022.

Cap hit would be very team friendly if post June 1st:

Cap hit for team traded to:

2021 - $15.4m

2022 - $22m

2023 - $27m

2024 - $26m

If pre June 1st trade:

2021 - $25.4m

2022 - $22m

2023 - $27m

2024 - $26m

10 minutes ago, w87r said:

I don't think the Eagles will give up #6 to get rid of Wentz.

I could see them giving up their early 2nd.

They might try to trade him after June 1st. Which would save them $15.4m in 2021, but leave dead caps of $19.3m in 2021 and $24.5m in 2022.

So maybe 2022 2nd/or 3rd + Wentz for 2022 4th/or 5th?

I guess it could go both ways though, they would have to pick up his $10m roster bonus in 2021 in the above scenario but would free up $14.8m more in 2021 cap space than a pre June 1at trade. As they only clear up $853k if they trade him now, but have a $33.8m dead cap hit in 2021, but none for 2022.

Cap hit would be very team friendly if post June 1st:

Cap hit for team traded to:

2021 - $15.4m

2022 - $22m

2023 - $27m

2024 - $26m

If pre June 1st trade:

2021 - $25.4m

2022 - $22m

2023 - $27m

2024 - $26m

Colts give up:  Pick No.21

Colts get: Eagles early 2nd rounder, Wentz and his contract

I DEFINITELY LIKE THAT!!! :) 

Is that what you had in mind? 

18 minutes ago, w87r said:

What did it say? Didn't have anything when I opened it.

Sorry he deleted it and reposted. It says he was told by several sources that Jacoby will not be back this season. If true so much for Eason hasn’t earned backup yet.

Make sure everyone listens when this is posted. He is going to talk about what he has been told about Wentz coming to Indy. These guys have broke some news so I do trust their sources so far.

31 minutes ago, chad72 said:

My bad feeling says Mitch Trubisky for 2 years. 

I would be shocked if that is the case. I think that if the reports are true that the Colts decision to go in another direction at QB is what led to Rivers' retirement, it would make little sense for them to downgrade to Trubisky. 

The Colts, IMO, are 100% going to trade for/sign one of these five veterans: Wentz, Darnold, Ryan, Garrapolo, or WInston. 

I don't particularly like any of them, but I would prefer Wentz on a restructed deal or Jameis. 

Ideally, Miami, Atlanta, Detroit, and Carolina all pass on drafting a QB. This would potentially allow the Colts to trade up for Trey Lance. Not likely though. 

There isn't a whole lot of great options out there if we are being honest. 

48 minutes ago, chad72 said:

No I was thinking about them giving us a 2nd and us giving back lower pick. Maybe give them a 3rd. We are helping them of the contract.

Wentz

2nd/or 3rd

For 

3rd/4th

6 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I would be shocked if that is the case. I think that if the reports are true that the Colts decision to go in another direction at QB is what led to Rivers' retirement, it would make little sense for them to downgrade to Trubisky. 

The Colts, IMO, are 100% going to trade for/sign one of these five veterans: Wentz, Darnold, Ryan, Garrapolo, or WInston. 

I don't particularly like any of them, but I would prefer Wentz on a restructed deal or Jameis. 

Ideally, Miami, Atlanta, Detroit, and Carolina all pass on drafting a QB. This would potentially allow the Colts to trade up for Trey Lance. Not likely though. 

There isn't a whole lot of great options out there if we are being honest. 

All the teams except Miami and Maybe Detroit are QB needy

31 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Sorry he deleted it and reposted. It says he was told by several sources that Jacoby will not be back this season. If true so much for Eason hasn’t earned backup yet.

Make sure everyone listens when this is posted. He is going to talk about what he has been told about Wentz coming to Indy. These guys have broke some news so I do trust their sources so far.

Looking forward to his post later but I'm more interested in what he would have to say about Darnold.  

34 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Where do I find that?

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

could we just offer some of the Rams' future first rounders from 2025-2030? they won't be using them anyway

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

so Eagles end up with #6, #21, J Hurts, and Colts lose #21 but get #37, Wentz and his contract? how much of Ballard's cap space would that eat up?

Archived