Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would You Take This Deal?

I have been running mock drafts on The Draft Network, and almost every time, the Vikings offer a trade at 14 for our picks 21 and 164 in this year's draft, and our third rounder in next year's draft. In about half of the draft scenarios, Trey Lance is still on the board. I know there is a website that provides point values for various picks, so I guess I have two questions:

1) Is this viable in terms of value?

2) If it is, and Trey Lance is on the board, would you make this deal?

23 minutes ago, Hark said:

I have been running mock drafts on The Draft Network, and almost every time, the Vikings offer a trade at 14 for our picks 21 and 164 in this year's draft, and our third rounder in next year's draft. In about half of the draft scenarios, Trey Lance is still on the board. I know there is a website that provides point values for various picks, so I guess I have two questions:

1) Is this viable in terms of value?

2) If it is, and Trey Lance is on the board, would you make this deal?

Yes I would make the deal, unless Ballard and Reich believe Eason is the guy longterm.

The Rivers retirement is only one of many variables that have to be answered before you can think

about what the solution can be

1)  Is there a REAL availability of a vet QB ????  Matt Stafford, Carson Wentz)

Which each will cost you some picks in trade

2) Is there a QB that the Colts front office loves in the draft? 

3) Are we willing to trade up to draft a QB of the future?

IMHO we need a QB to develop (Which may be Eason)

My dream offseason

1) Give up a 2 this year and a conditional 1 next year for Stafford (I would be happy with Wentz as well)

- They may cost more than that

2) Bid on FA Left Tackle - A Villanueva,  Trent Williams, OR Tatem Motom 

3) Bid on FA WR Kenny Golladay or Allen Robinson

4) Bid on Pass Rusher Bud Dupree....

On draft day, An OT needs to come early for early depth and later development to start at LT

Bring in some promising CBs from small colleges.

5 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

The Rivers retirement is only one of many variables that have to be answered before you can think

about what the solution can be

1)  Is there a REAL availability of a vet QB ????  Matt Stafford, Carson Wentz)

Which each will cost you some picks in trade

2) Is there a QB that the Colts front office loves in the draft? 

3) Are we willing to trade up to draft a QB of the future?

IMHO we need a QB to develop (Which may be Eason)

My dream offseason

1) Give up a 2 this year and a conditional 1 next year for Stafford (I would be happy with Wentz as well)

- They may cost more than that

2) Bid on FA Left Tackle - A Villanueva,  Trent Williams, OR Tatem Motom 

3) Bid on FA WR Kenny Golladay or Allen Robinson

4) Bid on Pass Rusher Bud Dupree....

On draft day, An OT needs to come early for early depth and later development to start at LT

Bring in some promising CBs from small colleges.

Colts don't have enough cap space for all of those players 

10 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I am 

If Colts trade for Stafford they will probably only be able to afford 1 other FA

Wow.... I just did some rough figuring on the Colts FAs that I believe that they will keep and the big cap evaporates

We could probably get a QB  and another FA position in that amount. left over but not 4 players......

I think that the safest thing to do is to trade for an established QB

If we dont give up a first to get a QB, we could use that late first to get an OT..... this draft seems to have a solid group of OTs and one MAY make it to our pick and could be plugged in immediately

It will be an interesting off season

41 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Wow.... I just did some rough figuring on the Colts FAs that I believe that they will keep and the big cap evaporates

We could probably get a QB  and another FA position in that amount. left over but not 4 players......

I think that the safest thing to do is to trade for an established QB

If we dont give up a first to get a QB, we could use that late first to get an OT..... this draft seems to have a solid group of OTs and one MAY make it to our pick and could be plugged in immediately

It will be an interesting off season

Maybe @w87rcould give the exact number but I believe Stafford would cost us about 20m next year which eats away from our 65m cap. You have to factor in future extensions to Q Smith and Leonard. 

13 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Maybe @w87rcould give the exact number but I believe Stafford would cost us about 20m next year which eats away from our 65m cap. You have to factor in future extensions to Q Smith and Leonard. 

Stafford Colts cap hit if traded:

2021: $20m

2022: $23m

Also whatever draft pick(s) traded for Stafford would reduce the cap hit from Stafford.

1st round pick - $1.8m

2nd round pick - $972k

3rd round pick - $809k

So lets just say a 1st and 3rd for example purposes.

$20m cap hit - $2.6m(pick(s) contract amount) = $17.4m. Net cap hit.

9 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

How so? I read the Colts will have at least 72 mil in cap space, 2nd most in NFL. 

We have 21 players hitting free agency, 8 of which were 2020 starters (and that isnt counting the 2 starters we just lost to retirement). We also have to at start looking at extending Leonard, Smith and Nelson (among others). We are currently sitting at ~65M as per Overthecap. That money isnt going to go as far as people seem to think. 

I had a bit of time (Not often) 

Lets start with this for OUR FAs (estimated cap hit)

Hilton 5 

Houston 6

Rhodes 5

Carrie 2

Pascal 4

Trey  Burton - 2

Mo - 3

Muhammid - 3

Odum - 3

All other FA we let go

This rolls up to 34-35M

We might be able to shave off a bit from this total, (I went a little high) but probably not much.

Going into the FA / Draft we would all agree that we need to come out with a QB and LT that can play THIS YEAR

If we stay pat at 21, I believe that we could get a starter at LT.  This draft seems to have a nice group of tackles. 

The QBs available to us at 21 just arent going to be ready to play this year, and maybe not ever.

(50% of first round QBs wash out)

If we traded our 2nd round and next year 1st to Detroit for Stafford  - He would cost us around 20M

20+35 = 55M - We have a 65 M to spend

That leaves us 10M and we will need more than half of that to sign our rookies and have some emergency money for FA during the season

The one good thing..... we start with a 'large' cap compared to other teams.....  they have these same problems with less to start with, which should make some bargains be available

We better draft well

Archived