Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Internal Free Agent Valuations

Mackrel829

On 1/20/2021 at 9:22 PM, TimetobringDfence! said:

I like both Houston and Autry, but why so much more for Houston? The have similar stats and Autry can play DT and DE. He is also less injury prone. I personally think that is way too much for Houston. I agree with all your other offers.

Less injury prone. Houston played all 16 games the past 2 years. Autry has missed more time.

On 1/21/2021 at 2:34 AM, shasta519 said:

Supplement with draft picks. Ballard has had a few rookies playing significant snaps every year...so we could assume the same this year. Plus...you have some  younger players who could take a step forward next season. 

Also...there’s player for player swaps that can be explored.

I think you could easily replace everyone on that list except Houston and Rhodes. And I would keep MAC as a cheap TE2.

A big FA contract will put a strain on the cap...which is why a rookie QB would be huge. But I also think this is their chance to spend on a premium non-QB position or two.

But another way to burn cap space is to re-sign a bunch of outgoing vets...essentially paying more money for the same team components (in many cases). If that was a list of FAs...I would probably be interested in a few of them at most. But that’s just me...and I am

sure other teams will be interested in each of them on some level...so this seems like a great chance to shift some cap space to quality (instead of quantity) and accrue some comp draft capital...even if it’s mid-late Day 3 picks.

I don't know. We have a lot of rooks and young guys playing snaps, but they are also some of the guys with a lot of question marks. Adding more question marks doesn't really help a lot. Just really depends on our luck. Everyone thought we had a year one pro bowl FS in Blackmon to start the year for instance. By the second half of the season, teams got film, and they exposed him big time. Oke was rated 70s last years, and is sub 50 this year. Turay was a one trick pony last season, and didn't get any closer to becoming a 3 down guy. 

In short, you can solve in the draft for a couple spots, but we have a ton of starter holes, and several starters have huge question marks. I started looking at our holes in turns of snaps, and performance as well. It's just not going to be that easy unless we bring several of those core pieces back. 2 DE1s, 1 DE2, QB, QB2, LT, CB1, WR1, WR2, TE2, ILB1a, CB2 (Carrie), are all huge snap losses, and simply some of the highest cost guys. Performance holes are ILBb (Oke), CB1 (RYS), and FS, not to mention just the overall lack of OL depth. Add all that together, and that's a huge order for Ballard. I'm just praying we bring back Houston, Rhodes, MAC, and Autry. What that leaves is still significant but gives us a decent shot in the draft/FA.

TY Hilton- 1yr thanks for the memories deal not over the top money but finish your career here level

Marlon Mack- would love incentive heavy (but team friendly 2 year deal so if all is well he gets paid fair, injured chump change)

Justin Houston-Let walk, at better than vet minimum he offers no R.O.I.

Denico Autry-3 year mid level for position deal

Xavier Rhodes-2 year fair compensation contract (but I think he wants to play for the highest bidder/not us)

Anthony Walker Jr.-I would love to keep him if we could, at 3 year team discount rate but I think he goes elsewhere

Malik Hooker- 3 year stay healthy incentive laden deal that would bring avg. $ vet min. if injured but I think he moves on

Jacoby Brissett - you have to let him walk I would think, he wants to try to prove hes the guy, that opportunity isnt here

Zach Pascal-3 year WR 3 $

Mo-Alie Cox-2 yr TE 2 $

8 hours ago, Crunked said:

TY Hilton- 1yr thanks for the memories deal not over the top money but finish your career here level

Marlon Mack- would love incentive heavy (but team friendly 2 year deal so if all is well he gets paid fair, injured chump change)

Justin Houston-Let walk, at better than vet minimum he offers no R.O.I.

Denico Autry-3 year mid level for position deal

Xavier Rhodes-2 year fair compensation contract (but I think he wants to play for the highest bidder/not us)

Anthony Walker Jr.-I would love to keep him if we could, at 3 year team discount rate but I think he goes elsewhere

Malik Hooker- 3 year stay healthy incentive laden deal that would bring avg. $ vet min. if injured but I think he moves on

Jacoby Brissett - you have to let him walk I would think, he wants to try to prove hes the guy, that opportunity isnt here

Zach Pascal-3 year WR 3 $

Mo-Alie Cox-2 yr TE 2 $

I would like to see TY return...he has lost a step but can still play the game.

Would also like to have Marlon Mack return...he is a different kind of runner than Taylor and would add a lot to the running game.

Cannot see keeping Hooker...just too many injuries.

Cannot see keeping Brissett...he is quite mediocre and just steals reps from Eason and any other young QB we would get thru draft/trade.

And we really should get a good TE in the draft.

On 1/25/2021 at 1:51 AM, Orioles22 said:

Houston had some great moments but it felt toward the end of the season that he didn't have much left. I'd move on from him and bring Autry back.

That's fair. I just don't see what other options we have at this stage. For the record, I'd bring Autry back too. There's no reason to believe that Turay can meaningfully contribute anything at all to the team at this point, and beyond that we have Lewis and Muhammad. Edge is a massive need this off-season.

Archived