Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Philip Rivers is retiring from the NFL

tvturner

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I don’t think you have an understanding of how football works. Players do get better but they stop developing after about year 4. After that they are who they are. There is no more developing of Jacoby. We know what he is going into year 6.

Silliest post of the year. What part of the players "stop developing after about year 4"? Ask Nick Foles or Joe Flacco or perhaps, in contrast Tom Brady.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Players do not stop progressing after four years. Most of the league sees player at least reach average or slightly above average play. There's a lot of average players in the NFL, but they individually get better at certain things over time. To say that players just have some magical cutoff at year 4 for progression is laughable. 

39 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Plenty of fans here from the 80s that know all about that.   

The current gm is better than any gm we had before or since polian.  I'm sure he has a plan.   

We had Harbaugh...Bert Jones....Johnny Unitas. Yea there may have had periods with no qb. However, historically, the Colts r probably one of the luckiest organizations

8 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

We had Harbaugh...Bert Jones....Johnny Unitas. Yea there may have had periods with no qb. However, historically, the Colts r probably one of the luckiest organizations

I said the 80s.   Not 60s. 

Tell me if any of these names pop out as good. 

Mike Pagel

Art Schlister 

Matt Kofler

Mark Herrmann 

Jack Trudeau 

Gary Hogeboom

Chris Chandler

Blair Kiel

Tom Ramsey

Jeff George

Don Majkowski 

Browning Nagle

Paul Justin

Jim Harbaugh. 

That's 84 to 97

Harbaugh was the only pro bowler,  and that was for the 95 season. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I don't view either as being better than the other at this point. 

Luck might have been rusty in a few of those first 5 games, but he was also very good in a few of those first five games. I'd say there's more of case to be made that the OL was bad (sacks) until week 6, and we had zero rushing game until Mack got back around the same time. Feel free to look at the OL situation. We had 5 different starting 5s IIRC the first 5 weeks, and AC was out most of that time. Our YPCarry without Mack was also abysmal during that time, likely also impacted by the OL. 

If Chuck can go 11-5 in Luck's rook year with a horrible OL and Vic Ballard as a RB, I'd think Frank could do that well with a rusty Luck. 

Chuck had cancer that  year East.

I had always known that Philip Rivers would leave the game sooner than I wanted him to.  He's one of the rare players that has his priorities very straight and realizes there is life after the game.  BUT I was NOT expecting this.  I should have taken a cue from his press conference after the playoff loss, he was really emotional.  I think he was pretty sure even then.

SHOOT, DANG IT ALL I really thought he would play another season.  The fit with the Colts was a good one and his skills were still sharp if not at his peak levels.  Now I get to experience the loss all over again :heart:

I wish you guys well in finding your replacement.  We were really blessed this year to find ours so quickly after losing such a long time, franchise QB.  It doesn't often happen that easily. 

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

If you look at the Ws and Ls, the talent level of the OL and RBs both had, etc. it's very debatable. Add in the context of how bad Grigson was, and what an upgrade Ballard is, and it's not far fetched at all. 

If you look at both coaches with Luck for instance. When Luck was healthy for Pagano, the worst he did was 11-5. Reich had a healthy Luck and a far better OL and rushing attack, and went 10-6. 

I don't hate Reich at all. I'm just looking at the factual side of things in context. I don't think either coach is all that great. Reich was Ballards plan D or so, after he got left at the alter and all the others were already locked up. Reich had already been passed over several times by other team, but was the best of what was left.

I might respect a coach (and I do respect Reich), but it's hard for me see him as a winner until he's bringing home at least division championships. Reich's only claim to fame is not calling plays while working under Pederson. It's just reality.

Luck was coming  back from injury and  was rusty. 

33 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm aware. The only thing I give Arians credit for is Luck's highest ever INT rate.....

Just my opinion, but I think the team rallied because Chuck was out mid season in support of him.

Man I’m glad your not my boss East.  

Personally I think Arians proved himself to be quality both in Indy and Arizona.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Don Majkowski

Lol... The MAGIC man...

So funny to see 11-5 as unacceptable with some folks.. Those were my teen years at QB. 

Other than the great Jeff George, not much there :thmup:..(I remember telling my friends, watch how great George is gonna be. Lol)

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Don Majkowski

Lol... The MAGIC man...

So funny to see 11-5 as unacceptable with some folks.. Those were my teen years at QB. 

Other than the great Jeff George, not much there :thmup:..(I remember telling my friends, watch how great George is gonna be. Lol)

5 minutes ago, IinD said:

Lol... The MAGIC man...

Lol... The MAGIC man...

His arm talent was as good as it gets.

Just now, Nickster said:

His arm talent was as good as it gets.

Yeah man, thought he was gonna be great, not sure if you've seen it, but I'm sure it's out there somewhere...

He was on some football show/segment somewhere, years after retiring and the guy asked if he's still got an arm... Long story short he launched a rocket through a tire on a tree about 20 yards away ice cold, no warm up, nothing. I think he wound his arm once to warm up..jeez.

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

Silliest post of the year. What part of the players "stop developing after about year 4"? Ask Nick Foles or Joe Flacco or perhaps, in contrast Tom Brady.

None of those guys developed later into their careers. Foles just got into the right systems later in his career. Flacco was always average at best. He just happened to have one incredible post season run. Same thing with Eli. A player having a great season later on in their careers isn’t them developing. It’s just “peaking”.

5 hours ago, Superman said:

I wouldn't put it that way. Especially at QB. 

But if a guy hasn't shown certain ability or meaningful improvement through four years, then he's probably not going to suddenly flip the switch in Year 5. 

Thats essentially what I was alluding to. I agree that it gets tricky with QBs because, scheme, coaching, and the talent around them matter. But player development is mostly seen as a 4/5 year max thing. That’s part of the reason rookie contracts (specifically 1st round ones) are structured the way they are. You get 4 years with a 5th year option so you have plenty of time to develop them and figure out what they are before they are up for extensions. 

17 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Thats essentially what I was alluding to. I agree that it gets tricky with QBs because, scheme, coaching, and the talent around them matter. But player development is mostly seen as a 4/5 year max thing. That’s part of the reason rookie contracts (specifically 1st round ones) are structured the way they are. You get 4 years with a 5th year option so you have plenty of time to develop them and figure out what they are before they are up for extensions. 

It's not enough time, IMO. I think the NFL sucks at player development, and it's glaringly obvious at QB. Part of the issue is the way coaches get churned...

But I do agree that if a player isn't showing some development in a couple years, it's pretty obvious.

After listening to Ballard's interview and his comments on brissett I really don't think they will bring him back. He gave brissett compliments but you could tell by his tone and mannerisms that bringing him back is probably not in the cards. I wonder what the odds are of us actually trading up this year to grab a quarterback in the draft? I'd like to be a fly on the wall to hear What the Colts think of this year's quarterbacks draft class.

8 hours ago, Restored said:

Ballard has expressed that Eason isn't likely to be ready to start this coming year. I expect the Colts to make a big move via trade or in the draft at this point.

Yeah, I'm big on Eason but we haven't seen him play in the NFL and we wouldn't until and if there's a preseason. So we have to make a move way before that so unfortunately will probably bring in Stafford or Wentz and I don't like either one. But it's probably our only options. But will they take a one year contract Wentz might after a disastrous year in Philly. 

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I said the 80s.   Not 60s. 

Tell me if any of these names pop out as good. 

Mike Pagel

Art Schlister 

Matt Kofler

Mark Herrmann 

Jack Trudeau 

Gary Hogeboom

Chris Chandler

Blair Kiel

Tom Ramsey

Jeff George

Don Majkowski 

Browning Nagle

Paul Justin

Jim Harbaugh. 

That's 84 to 97

Harbaugh was the only pro bowler,  and that was for the 95 season. 

Other than Harbaugh that is a clown show lmao .

Regarding Rivers, he was a true class act. He helped take us to 11-5 and the playoffs. He also put up good numbers. It was a fun season and I wish him nothing but the best in retirement. Ballard has a huge decision now who he wants to roll with at QB.

Regarding the coaches we have had, in the Indianapolis era (1984-2020) I still put Reich 2nd. He is good but does have his flaws. I seen a few in here discussing this. I still have:

1. Dungy - great, not Belichick great but a Hall of Famer

2. Reich - good

3. Marchibroda - good

4. Caldwell - good

5. Pagano - as @crazycolt1 said, Pagano wasn't as bad as people make him out to be. He is at least average and coached us to an AFC Title Game. The word 'bad' when describing him is way off.

Listened to Larra Overton on the NFL radio network and they talked about PRs retirement. She was ask what JB may  play in the future of the Colts and she stated she didn't feel he will play a part at all. Mentioned that CB went out and found a QB to replace him last year and said that CB would not have done that if he thought JB had a future with the Colts. Suspect she may have more insight than the average fan and what she said made a whole lot of sense to me.

8 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Listened to Larra Overton on the NFL radio network and they talked about PRs retirement. She was ask what JB may  play in the future of the Colts and she stated she didn't feel he will play a part at all. Mentioned that CB went out and found a QB to replace him last year and said that CB would not have done that if he thought JB had a future with the Colts. Suspect she may have more insight than the average fan and what she said made a whole lot of sense to me.

I think JB is a gonner as well. I would definitely trade for Matt Stafford, that would be similar to having a 39 year old Rivers but with more mobility and he is much younger. Stafford's Ws/Ls are deceiving because he has played for a bad organization his whole career. I want no part of Wentz or Darnold. Stafford is the better QB between those 3.

7 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

I was going to post this on my own because she’s right if the Colts believed in Jacoby as the QB of the future they would have never signed Rivers.  I think Ballard would be open to bringing Jacoby back as a back up but I doubt he’s going to want that role and he will sign else were where he will at least have a chance to compete for the starting job.

9 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

I am surprised with her being a colts employee she actually said that.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

I was going to post this on my own because she’s right if the Colts believed in Jacoby as the QB of the future they would have never signed Rivers.  I think Ballard would be open to bringing Jacoby back as a back up but I doubt he’s going to want that role and he will sign else were where he will at least have a chance to compete for the starting job.

Winston couldn't even get a starting job after throwing 5000 yards and 30 tds. No way Brissett will ever be a starter.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

1. Dungy - great, not Belichick great but a Hall of Famer

2. Reich - good

3. Marchibroda - good

4. Caldwell - good

5. Pagano - as @crazycolt1 said, Pagano wasn't as bad as people make him out to be. He is at least average and coached us to an AFC Title Game. The word 'bad' when describing him is way off.

Agree on your sentiments on Rivers. Well states.

As for rating of your coaches I would rate Dungy great and for sure #1!

As for the other four I would rate them all as average and would not rate one above the other. I, like EastSreet, am not yet sold on Reich.

24 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Winston couldn't even get a starting job after throwing 5000 yards and 30 tds. No way Brissett will ever be a starter.

Winston also threw 30 INTs that’s why he couldn’t get a job as a starter.  

With that said I don’t think he’s ever going to be a franchise guy but could he be a guy like Fitz-magic is that’s a vet that gets to start while a young QB is getting ready or a back up for a QB on a short leash that might give him a chance to play that way?  Absolutely.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Winston also threw 30 INTs that’s why he couldn’t get a job as a starter.  

With that said I don’t think he’s ever going to be a franchise guy but could he be a guy like Fitz-magic is that’s a vet that gets to start while a young QB is getting ready or a back up for a QB on a short leash that might give him a chance to play that way?  Absolutely.

He wants to be a backup, fine. However, I don't want Brissett starting.

36 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Agree on your sentiments on Rivers. Well states.

As for rating of your coaches I would rate Dungy great and for sure #1!

As for the other four I would rate them all as average and would not rate one above the other. I, like EastSreet, am not yet sold on Reich.

That is fair enough but I would give the Reich the edge because I am the type that love coaches that go for it and mix things up with trickery. Reich does that, the other 3 not so much. It is not like Reich's record isn't good either. He is 28-20 and has won a playoff game. I believe had Luck not retired his record would even be better. We came a hair away from beating Buffalo during the playoffs too. Yeah Dungy was great but probably not top 10 all-time, top 20 and deserves to be in the Hall of Fame though.

Archived