Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Philip Rivers is retiring from the NFL

27 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

The Colts CANNOT go with Eason or Brissett next year.. it’d be a waste of prime years of Buckner, Nelson, Leonard etc.. 

The roster is too good and too close to go with a late round rookie QB.

Look at the final four teams left.. all have elite QBs. Even Brady. 

We don't even know what we've got with Eason yet, but for a little historical perspective: Hall of Famer Dan Fouts was drafted in the 3rd round in 1973, the same year they traded for Hall of Famer John Unitas.

Fouts replaced Unitas as the starter in the middle of that season and the rest as they say, is history!

• Like 1
  • Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I doubt that

Hail fellow, well met.   I'm glad we had Rivers in 2020. I'm very glad he had a good season, and so did the team. I'm disappointed we couldn't get him to the SB, and I'm kind of disappointed

Much respect to Rivers He came and played very well for us last season. Exceeded most expectations.     Wish nothing but the best for him and his family. Look forward to the day he gets

Posted Images

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

The asking price is what it will come down to. No more than our 1st rounder for Stafford, no more than our 2nd rounder for Darnold, IMO. 

Darnold played with Pittman. Could be a good get.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Lancer1 said:

We don't even know what we've got with Eason yet, but for a little historical perspective: Hall of Famer Dan Fouts was drafted in the 3rd round in 1973, the same year they traded for Hall of Famer John Unitas.

Fouts replaced Unitas as the starter in the middle of that season and the rest as they say, is history!

Ballard has expressed that Eason isn't likely to be ready to start this coming year. I expect the Colts to make a big move via trade or in the draft at this point.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Darnold played with Pittman. Could be a good get.

JuJu was the one who had the most success with Darnold...but I don't want JuJu anywhere near this team.

32 minutes ago, Beardog said:

Love the Colts but they will not be in the playoffs next year!  For all the Rivers sucks crowd, neither Wenz, Stafford, Darnold or Brissett take this team to the playoffs 

Thanks for letting us know I Kreskin. I can't wait for 2022!

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I appreciate that.   But trade ups for a QB are always expensive.

Two firsts only would mean the team moving down a half a round, 15 spots, has to wait a full year to get the payoff of the other first. 

Later today we can explore what KC paid to move up for Mahomes, what Houston paid to move up for Watson, what the Jets paid to move up to get Sanchez, as well as other trades. 

It's never a perfect calc. Depending on what calculator you use, it's either a perfect 1600 for 1600 swap, or 2046 (2x21) for 1587 (6th) swap. And it always depends on who wants what, why, and how much. 

Phili for instance has 6... good possibility they take a QB themselves.  Cinci on the other hand might be open to a trade for 21 this year, and next year's 1st since they have Burrow and could use the extra capital next year.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Philip, if you read this: thank you. Thank you for making football fun in Indiana. Thank you for helping to continue our culture of excellence, leadership, and humility. As Ballard said, it's a shame we didn't get to truly know you this season. You're a standup guy, a great father, and a great man. Many best wishes that you continue to live a fulfilling life. Take this time to enjoy your family. As you know, the kids grow up too fast. 

Sincerely,

Eric

Kudos. Very well put. 

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

If Darnold was brought in it would be to compete with Eason. 

No team is going to pay a QB the kind of money Darnold will get to "compete" with a #3 QB.

25 minutes ago, Beardog said:

Love the Colts but they will not be in the playoffs next year!  For all the Rivers sucks crowd, neither Wenz, Stafford, Darnold or Brissett take this team to the playoffs 

You know, Rivers cared. He gave a %. I would not be surprised if the lack of respect by the fan base didn't at least partially affect his decision. Frankly, it's been a bit embarrassing.

The one that really offends me, is the continual comments about how many kids he has. What in the hell does that do with anything? Now if he was a baby maker without being a father....which they have plenty of in the NFL....now there is something to throw shade at. As a matter of fact, this world needs more good kids being raised right. 

But that is not the case at all. If I gave a %, and gave my all, playing through pain, and I heard repeatedly about how I have too many kids, have a noodle arm, and so on, I'd freaking retire myself. At the end of one's career, it is nice to be appreciated. 

Thanks PR for playing for my team and representing. You did it with class, you were a true Colt, and you gave me a clear vision of the competitor, QB, the competitor, and the man you are. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

Kudos. Very well put. 

No team is going to pay a QB the kind of money Darnold will get to "compete" with a #3 QB.

You know, Rivers cared. He gave a %. I would not be surprised if the lack of respect by the fan base didn't at least partially affect his decision. Frankly, it's been a bit embarrassing.

The one that really offends me, is the continual comments about how many kids he has. What in the hell does that do with anything? Now if he was a baby maker without being a father....which they have plenty of in the NFL....now there is something to throw shade at. As a matter of fact, this world needs more good kids being raised right. 

But that is not the case at all. If I gave a %, and gave my all, playing through pain, and I heard repeatedly about how I have too many kids, have a noodle arm, and so on, I'd freaking retire myself. At the end of one's career, it is nice to be appreciated. 

Thanks PR for playing for my team and representing. You did it with class, you were a true Colt, and you gave me a clear vision of the competitor, QB, the competitor, and the man you are. 

Darnold still has two years left if you pick up his fifth year. I thought I saw his cap hit would only be 4 million next season. 

12 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

1. Stafford - He’d be elite behind this line, with this running game.

2. Watson - Texans would never trade him in the division but one can dream.

3. Carr - Don’t laugh - he had a better QBR than Rivers and Stafford.

4. Prescott - I think the Cowboys keep him but if he hits the market look out.

None of these QBs will be available.

3 minutes ago, Restored said:

Ballard has expressed that Eason isn't likely to be ready to start this coming year. I expect the Colts to make a big move via trade or in the draft at this point.

Eason may not be ready to start, but he's been in our system for a year and I'd rather kick his tires instead of bringing in yet another brand spanking new QB and hoping they can pick it up quickly - there's only 1 Philip Rivers, and now he's gone. 

Who knows though, perhaps Philip can lure AC down to Alabama to coach up his lineman for awhile!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is funny.

That is awesome!

IT is a real bummer to lose him but he really made this season exciting to watch.  I think with a year under his belt and learning our players tendencies he would have been much better next year but life moves on!

I look forward to what Ballard has in store.  I predict we will be drafting a LT early and getting another qb vet but who knows maybe JE beats him out.

• Like 4

Just please do not go back to Jacoby. I know Ballard can’t get him enough of Jacoby, but clearly he’s not the answer long term. It’s time to move on and for Ballard to find the long term answer. No more band-aids or short term fixes.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Darnold still has two years left if you pick up his fifth year. I thought I saw his cap hit would only be 4 million next season. 

My guess is the Jets trade down, and keep the QB they have while loading up on other positions.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

NO

THANK 

YOU

He would at least need to be asked about with his success under Reich. Let’s be honest the Bears coaches are not good with their offensive approach.

We probably won’t know if Stafford is even available until the draft. There is no sure  thing the lions will even get the QB they want. They may have to try and move up. 

He did well, better than I expected. Respect for this season and for his career. 

However, I'm with Neon Deion on this one and HoF should be for the absolute best of best. I for one don't think that Rivers would qualify, doesn't mean he won't tho. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Nate! said:

Colts must’ve told him they were going in a different direction.  

Ballard said the team and Rivers would both take a month.  I’m guessing Philip didn’t need a month.

That said, the tone of Ballard’s PC certainly sounded a bit like — whoever’s decision it was — he didn’t expect Rivers back.

3 minutes ago, rayski said:

He did well, better than I expected. Respect for this season and for his career. 

However, I'm with Neon Deion on this one and HoF should be for the absolute best of best. I for one don't think that Rivers would qualify, doesn't mean he won't tho. 

There are a slew of QBs in the hall less deserving than PR.

• Like 2

You're vet/with experience choices for the Colts will be:

1) Minshew....as I don't believe Urb will want another young guy behind Lawrence. Minshew dealt, Glennon resigned.

2) Trubisky true FA

3) Barkley unless Fromm isn't ready to move to backup

4) Cam Newton true FA

5) Brissett true FA

6) Fitzpatrick only if Miami trades Tua.. if they keep Tua I think Fitz resigns with Miami or retires

7) Mullins... as I believe the niners will keep jimmy G and resign Beathard 

8) Dalton... andy moves to be a starter somewhere

Stafford WILL not be traded regardless of what you hear. Dan Campbell signing will seal that. He was signed to motivate the talent Detroit already has and that includes Stafford.

Flacco will likely resign with Jets or retire as well

Winston will resign with Saints. Anybody who saw video of Brees talking with Winston in 4th quarter knows that he told him it's his team or he could lead this team or whatever.

That's it... 

To me if it's going to be a FA, its going to be..

1) Dalton

2) Minshew

3) Trubisky and Mullins tied here

Dalton will be most sought after and will depend on what a couple other teams do. I would not overpay for Dalton is what I'm saying, but who knows what desperation will bring

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He would at least need to be asked about with his success under Reich. Let’s be honest the Bears coaches are not good with their offensive approach.

If you truly believe that about Bears coaches then you go after Trubisky, not Foles

7 minutes ago, rayski said:

He will

2 minutes ago, Indeee said:

You're vet/with experience choices for the Colts will be:

1) Minshew....as I don't believe Urb will want another young guy behind Lawrence. Minshew dealt, Glennon resigned.

2) Trubisky true FA

3) Barkley unless Fromm isn't ready to move to backup

4) Cam Newton true FA

5) Brissett true FA

6) Fitzpatrick only if Miami trades Tua.. if they keep Tua I think Fitz resigns with Miami or retires

7) Mullins... as I believe the niners will keep jimmy G and resign Beathard 

8) Dalton... andy moves to be a starter somewhere

Stafford WILL not be traded regardless of what you hear. Dan Campbell signing will seal that. He was signed to motivate the talent Detroit already has and that includes Stafford.

Flacco will likely resign with Jets or retire as well

Winston will resign with Saints. Anybody who saw video of Brees talking with Winston in 4th quarter knows that he told him it's his team or he could lead this team or whatever.

That's it... 

To me if it's going to be a FA, its going to be..

1) Dalton

2) Minshew

3) Trubisky and Mullins tied here

Dalton will be most sought after and will depend on what a couple other teams do. I would not overpay for Dalton is what I'm saying, but who knows what desperation will bring

If you truly believe that about Bears coaches then you go after Trubisky, not Foles

Umm no. Foles is a SB champion. 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Man it felt good this year to be back on track. This is going to be one interesting off season. Maybe a year we go into a mini rebuild for a year.

we may get the number one pick in 2022 as the other teams in our division are going to have elite qb talent

• Confused 1
Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Umm no. Foles is a SB champion. 

Umm So? Foles sucks. Honestly this is why some of you people can't be taken seriously. Outside of a magical super bowl run Foles has done zilch. Seems like I'm knocking your opinion, sorry. Don't mean to hurt your feeling, just throwing truth

This may sound dumb but what about going after Mariotta? Could he have more success if the offense was built around his talents. Titans tried to make him into something he isn’t. He is also injured a lot so that is a huge issue.

Just now, DEFENSE said:

we may get the number one pick in 2022 as the other teams in our division are going to have elite qb talent

Watson was "elite" this year.   How did they do?

Tannehill isn't elite and Lawrence won't be elite his rookie season

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

Umm So? Foles sucks. Honestly this is why some of you people can't be taken seriously. Outside of a magical super bowl run Foles has done zilch. Seems like I'm knocking your opinion, sorry. Don't mean to hurt your feeling, just throwing truth

Foles was the second option if they couldn’t sign rivers so don’t knock it. Ir might happen.

32 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

It's immaterial, but I agree, the comments about how many kids he has grew old on me pretty quickly. That guy did right by his teams while make the best decisions he could for his family. When the Chargers moved to LA, he kept his family in San Diego, and put together an office on wheels to make his commute and work on film review at the same time. And it worked out, in 2018 he had a great season. 

Rivers is a standup dude. There's a lot to admire about him, and I'm glad he was a Colt, even if for a short time.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Foles was the second option if they couldn’t sign rivers so don’t knock it. Ir might happen.

This should not happen, if it does we fans should demand the firing of people in charge. Foles is terrible. He of course is better than a lot as he is capable of playing in the NFL however so was Trent Dilfer who was also super bowl champion as one example and Dilfer sucks. If you want to have honest discussions, have honest discussion about REAL football, not just connection ties because if that's the case Reich should bring in his Granny for a look as she used to play catch with him in the backyard for 6 years. There's history there, lets all jump on board.!! :facepalm:

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Don't know if that's true, but even if it is, Foles was dramatically average in 2020, so the staff would have downgraded him accordingly.

7 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

Tannehill...elite?  Uh, no.  I’d say he’s in the class below that.  He’s a fine player and has done well at Tennessee.  But he’s not among the league’s elite QBs.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Don't know if that's true, but even if it is, Foles was dramatically average in 2020, so the staff would have downgraded him accordingly.

The rumor was he was a fall back in case rivers didn’t sign. But he wasn’t going to be handed the keys like rivers. It would of been a completion with Jacoby.

Thank you rivers .     I am so happy we can get to see Eason play . Colts need to complete a mini  rebuild now and not sign any old guys back no Houston Rhodes Carrie or any one  over 30 .   Now the colts with ac and rivers gone save 42 million in cap and should have 85 million to get a elite young pass rusher a corner wr who are in their prime . Then draft a tackle first round another pass rusher 2nd and corner third . With Eason and a younger better team we are making the playoffs and Eason will put the haters to shame. 

• Haha 1

Just now saw this so it's what to do, what to do ,what to do.

The Colts are a playoff team. They don't need a 5 star QB to come in to put them over the top. Rather, one like Brissett that can keep the team competitive. Draft a college player that shows promise and let him learn and get him some reps and they will be in the playoffs again next year. 

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Beardog said:

Stafford’s a good QB but I how many playoff wins does he have?  Exactly.  Most here have under estimated Rivers and what he brought.

I do think right now the trend is younger.  Hopefully the Colts get someone and rebound but don’t think it’s so easy 

As others have stated the guy hasnt had much help. Did you not watch Colts vs Lions this year? His OL was pitiful. Just like a soft roll of Charmin.