Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Philip Rivers is retiring from the NFL


Recommended Posts

I’ve gotta say, I’m surprised by his decision. I expected him to hang around and see if we brought him back before making the decision. I did not have “Phil moves first” on my list of outcomes. 
Sesame Street Idk GIF

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I doubt that

Hail fellow, well met.   I'm glad we had Rivers in 2020. I'm very glad he had a good season, and so did the team. I'm disappointed we couldn't get him to the SB, and I'm kind of disappointed

Much respect to Rivers He came and played very well for us last season. Exceeded most expectations.     Wish nothing but the best for him and his family. Look forward to the day he gets

Posted Images

Great season from Phil...and I appreciate his time as a Colt. He was a godsend to a set of  bad circumstances. 

 

However, I can't help but be excited at the possibilities now...we should all be.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

That would be a mistake. We know what Jacoby is, I don't see any point in going to that well

There might not be any options. Could Wentz go to the eagles and say I want to go to the colts? Maybe. But there might not be anyone. 

 

This is going to be one exciting offseason. They could have Eason and Jacoby compete also. But who knows if there will even be OTA this year. I would hold players get to be vaccinated by April and we get a normal offseason.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

In his statement, Rivers only specifically thanked San Diego fans. And he took his retirement story to a San Diego reporter. I think he was aware of all the criticism of him in Indy, and Ballard was aware of it as well and wished Rivers could have experienced cheering fans in the stands. 

And he didnt mention LA because?

 

I think you're reading much into it. San Diego is his second home, those fans were family. In Indy, he barely had fans in the seats. Good on him for tipping his hat to SD.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, stitches said:

Damn, I'm not shocked but also didn't entirely expect it. 

 

Either way, congrats to Rivers on a stellar career. I absolutely enjoyed his short stay with the Colts. He wasn't close to his best days physically, but you could absolutely see the talent and smarts that made him one of the better QBs of the generation even at this age. It was a joy to watch masterful execution of an offense for a new team and with very little off-season gelling up with teammates. He was the ultimate pro and I'm glad he was a Colt for his last year. 

 

Cheers to him and hopefully he stays in football because the game can use his passion, love for the game and knowledge, be it as a coach, a commentator or as an exec.  

 

P.S. About the Colts... so... draft QB anybody? 

 

My sources are telling me that Ballard already has a trade in place to move up. 

 

Not really...but it's definitely within the range of outcomes now...as is trading for someone like Wentz and Darnold.

 

But given the other needs on this team...it makes a lot of sense to do what is necessary to get a cheap young QB and then use those cap savings ($40M or so) in FA to supplement LT/WR/EDGE/CB. Fling open the SB competitive window.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

There might not be any options. Could Wentz go to the eagles and say I want to go to the colts? Maybe. But there might not be anyone. 

 

This is going to be one exciting offseason. They could have Eason and Jacoby compete also. But who knows if there will even be OTA this year. I would hold players get to be vaccinated by April and we get a normal offseason.

Jacoby is a free agent who isnt very good. I'd be really surprised if they brought him back.

 

I agree, it's an offseason of numerous possibilities. Right after the Buffalo game, I mentioned that. This is the offseason is one that can vault Ballard from a good GM to a HoF GM. He has to nail the QB.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Colt.45 said:

Jacoby is a free agent who isnt very good. I'd be really surprised if they brought him back.

 

I agree, it's an offseason of numerous possibilities. Right after the Buffalo game, I mentioned that. This is the offseason is one that can vault Ballard from a good GM to a HoF GM. He has to nail the QB.

He could do the best possible and still not end up with a great qb.   They don't grow on trees

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

 

My sources are telling me that Ballard already has a trade in place to move up. 

 

Not really...but it's definitely within the range of outcomes now...as is trading for someone like Wentz and Darnold.

 

But given the other needs on this team...it makes a lot of sense to do what is necessary to get a cheap young QB and then use those cap savings ($40M or so) in FA to supplement LT/WR/EDGE/CB. Fling open the SB competitive window.

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I land on this being the best option. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, krunk said:

To me if Eason is not ready it makes the most sense to go after one of the younger vet QB like Stafford, Darnold, and to a lesser degree Wentz. Somebody who can sit in there until we find someone we like in the draft or until Eason is ready.

 

This unfortunately could also include Jacoby being a starter for us as an additional option. I say this bc at this point he may be a better option than getting Darnold or Wentz. Wentz has the higher ceiling if you can correct his issues though.

 

I think the only reclamation would be Darnold.

 

There is an alternative universe where they trade for Stafford and he mentors Eason...who is a similarly big-armed QB. But I think they want a more mobile QB.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Colt.45 said:

Jacoby is a free agent who isnt very good. I'd be really surprised if they brought him back.

 

I agree, it's an offseason of numerous possibilities. Right after the Buffalo game, I mentioned that. This is the offseason is one that can vault Ballard from a good GM to a HoF GM. He has to nail the QB.

 

Yeah, they have to see if someone like Mariota or Alex Smith is released. They would make better backups than JB at this point. Who knows, Alex Smith might retire too???

 

JB will be back only if he agrees to a fourth of what he is getting, around the $4 - 5mil. range for being a backup, IMO. The only reason he might get that from us is his familiarity. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He could do the best possible and still not end up with a great qb.   They don't grow on trees

Sure, that's why it'd vault him to HoF. I didn't say it was going to be easy. If nailing the QB was easy, everyone would be in the hall right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

 

I think the only reclamation would be Darnold.

 

There is an alternative universe where they trade for Stafford and he mentors Eason...who is a similarly big-armed QB. But I think they want a more mobile QB.

 

Sam Darnold could join the long list of players that never got to develop under Adam Gase but smartened up and did better elsewhere. From Ryan Tannehill to Minkah Fitzpatrick to Kenyan Drake to even LeVeon Bell, players underwhelming under Adam Gase played better elsewhere and even a star player like Bell was underutilized. 

 

Sam Darnold is an extreme low risk high reward move with a 3rd rounder if we cannot get a vet like Stafford or Carr, IMO. At worst, he would be fighting for a starting position with Eason, and at best he would outplay him and shine well with our OL and his ability to extend plays and throw on the run with better coaching. 

 

I am not down on Darnold as some here are, to be honest. I saw enough potential and I saw the results of the games when he did not turn the ball over when his team did well vs the Rams and Browns towards the end of the season.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I could see them going with Jacoby for s year until Eason is ready if there are no other options.

I just don't see it. Ballard knows what he has/had in Jacoby and I think he'll want to upgrade. If we go with Jacoby it would be another wasted season.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

If Darnold was brought in it would be to compete with Eason.  I don’t even want to think about the regression of guys like Pittman if Jacoby is the starter. It just might be time to start the clock and see what Eason can do. Have a vet like Jacoby begins him if things get rocky.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

In his statement, Rivers only specifically thanked San Diego fans. And he took his retirement story to a San Diego reporter. I think he was aware of all the criticism of him in Indy, and Ballard was aware of it as well and wished Rivers could have experienced cheering fans in the stands. 

Interesting that he didn't thank LA, either. (Assuming he did not mention them)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If Darnold was brought in it would be to compete with Eason.  I don’t even want to think about the regression of guys like Pittman if Jacoby is the starter. It just might be time to start the clock and see what Eason can do. Have a vet like Jacoby begins him if things get rocky.  

 

If Darnold is brought in, there is no need for Jacoby to even be considered for the starting position. Whoever wins the battle between Darnold and Eason starts and we move on from JB. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

Sam Darnold could join the long list of players that never got to develop under Adam Gase but smartened up and did better elsewhere. From Ryan Tannehill to Minkah Fitzpatrick to Kenyan Drake to even LeVeon Bell, players underwhelming under Adam Gase played better elsewhere and even a star player like Bell was underutilized. 

 

Sam Darnold is an extreme low risk high reward move with a 3rd rounder if we cannot get a vet like Stafford or Carr, IMO. At worst, he would be fighting for a starting position with Eason, and at best he would outplay him and shine well with our OL and his ability to extend plays and throw on the run with better coaching. 

 

I am not down on Darnold as some here are, to be honest. I saw enough potential and I saw the results of the games when he did not turn the ball over when his team did well vs the Rams and Browns towards the end of the season.

I forgot about Carr. That would be another savvy move Ballard could make. So my top 2 now are Stafford and Carr.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

I predicted this as soon as the season ended. I hope they do not bring Jacoby back to be the starter. He had many chances to be our franchise QB and he dropped the ball. 

It was Ebron who dropped it

3 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

 

Now he can go home and make babies :funny:

He's got his starting O already 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

If Ballard thought Eason was our QB for the future, he sure is keeping it a Secret.

I think he was pretty clear on that though. The kid could be the QB but there's no info. If you were Mr Ballard, would you name this kid your future when you've never seen him in front of live bullets?

Throwing a pretty ball, or shining in covid practice isnt the same thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jeremy Waldon said:

I wouldnt mind bringing Chad Kelly back and run him with him and Eason

Nope 

2 minutes ago, Derakynn said:

Time for the Colts pit stop on the Fitzmagic NFL Tour.

Nah

2 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Colts may go ALL IN on Wentz and not have to look for a QB every year or so. 

Only for a 5th tops 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I'd love to see EJ emerge. He's definitely got the measurables. I just have tempered my expectations knowing he's a small school dice roll. Thought we'd see him get some time last year, but instead still saw small bits of the other depth guys.   there's some decent FAs that IMO would be an upgrade, and wouldn't cost a bunch. If we could pick up a guy from a cap squeezed team like Jaylon Brown for like 8Mish a year, I think he'd be perfect for our scheme and a 3 down guy. An aging vet like Perryman or KJ Wright might work out too on a modest short term deal. Perryman might be just a 2 down guy, but his coverage was not bad at all last year.  We're in a 4-2-5 set 60+% of the time already. We've never used the SAM a lot even with both Walker and Oke. In 2019, it was Walker at MIKE on 1st and 2nd (and short yardage), Oke at MIKE on 3rd (and obvious passing downs), and then Oke sometimes at SAM vs teams that ran the edge a lot or obvious run downs. Last year Oke started eating into Walker's 2nd down snaps, and we simply played lite more.    Purely my opinion, but you don't want to see Adams or Franklin taking MIKE snaps unless it's an emergency. And definitely not Glasgow. And keep in mind that EJ is still pretty thin. Oke is undersized already at MIKE. EJ is taller than Oke, but 10lbs lighter. Perhaps EJ put on some good weight, but IMO, his lack of power/strength is likely a factor keeping him off the field. He's probably more suited for WILL than MIKE to be honest. If he can pack 15-20lbs of good weight on, and keep his twitch, he could make for a very nice MIKE. It'll be interesting to see if he's made progress in the offesason. Walker was the QB of the D in 2019, and it was him in 2019 and 2020 that filled in at WILL when Leonard was out. That was a little surprising to me as Oke was "billed" as faster and rangier... Peculiar...   Anyway, his asking price is not what concerns me. He's not going to command a lot in this market, and he's not ranked in the top 200 FAs (PFF) either. What my gut tells me is he'd rather play in 3-4 where IMO he'd be much more productive, and would fit his skill sets better. Better fit for him, and probably more lucrative long term. He also can't be happy with Oke eating into his snaps, especially when Oke isn't playing well. Anyway, I really don't want to see Oke playing early downs. He got tore up early downs at MIKE when Leonard was out. If he's our 3 down guy, I can see teams running right at him.
    • Watt is not a good scheme fit. Period. Especially not at that price point and having played his entire career in basically the same scheme. I don't care what anyone says but Houston would be a really logical signing. You don't need him to be Superman with Buckner doing 3 tech.  If worse comes to worst with this cap squeeze, you could get Houston on a one year rental for a discount. He's already cleared almost $100M over his career and he was solid in 2020. There is no way I chase Watt in FA for a premium coming out of a 3-4 scheme. Green Bay is a much better fit for him. 
    • Jabril Cox would be a nice upgrade from Walker and Oke.  Especially since we play the 4-2-5 60% of the time.  He can cover and blitz, two things that Oke and Walker can't do.
    • The thing with this is the best teams don't usually have a lot to spend on free agents.  Its rare for a team as good as the colts to have as much money as they did the last few years.   We also have like one playoff win in 6 years now while having all that free cap space
    • I’m a Stanford guy and am glad we have Okereke.   But I don’t think his ceiling is as high as you seem to think.   86-90?   I’m not sure what that is based on?   Yes, he had a very good rookie year.  But his 2020 season was a big disappointment.  I don’t know why but he didn’t grade out well at all.     If Leonard is 95-100, I’d peg Oke at a top of 85, but more steadily like 75-80.   But that’s only happening if he has a bounce back type of season.   The same kind of season we all hope Rock will have.  A comeback year.  The Colts need a bunch of those in 2021. 
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...