Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Philip Rivers is retiring from the NFL

tvturner

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

That would be a mistake. We know what Jacoby is, I don't see any point in going to that well

There might not be any options. Could Wentz go to the eagles and say I want to go to the colts? Maybe. But there might not be anyone. 

This is going to be one exciting offseason. They could have Eason and Jacoby compete also. But who knows if there will even be OTA this year. I would hold players get to be vaccinated by April and we get a normal offseason.

5 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

In his statement, Rivers only specifically thanked San Diego fans. And he took his retirement story to a San Diego reporter. I think he was aware of all the criticism of him in Indy, and Ballard was aware of it as well and wished Rivers could have experienced cheering fans in the stands. 

And he didnt mention LA because?

I think you're reading much into it. San Diego is his second home, those fans were family. In Indy, he barely had fans in the seats. Good on him for tipping his hat to SD.

57 minutes ago, stitches said:

Damn, I'm not shocked but also didn't entirely expect it. 

Either way, congrats to Rivers on a stellar career. I absolutely enjoyed his short stay with the Colts. He wasn't close to his best days physically, but you could absolutely see the talent and smarts that made him one of the better QBs of the generation even at this age. It was a joy to watch masterful execution of an offense for a new team and with very little off-season gelling up with teammates. He was the ultimate pro and I'm glad he was a Colt for his last year. 

Cheers to him and hopefully he stays in football because the game can use his passion, love for the game and knowledge, be it as a coach, a commentator or as an exec.  

P.S. About the Colts... so... draft QB anybody? 

My sources are telling me that Ballard already has a trade in place to move up. 

Not really...but it's definitely within the range of outcomes now...as is trading for someone like Wentz and Darnold.

But given the other needs on this team...it makes a lot of sense to do what is necessary to get a cheap young QB and then use those cap savings ($40M or so) in FA to supplement LT/WR/EDGE/CB. Fling open the SB competitive window.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

There might not be any options. Could Wentz go to the eagles and say I want to go to the colts? Maybe. But there might not be anyone. 

This is going to be one exciting offseason. They could have Eason and Jacoby compete also. But who knows if there will even be OTA this year. I would hold players get to be vaccinated by April and we get a normal offseason.

Jacoby is a free agent who isnt very good. I'd be really surprised if they brought him back.

I agree, it's an offseason of numerous possibilities. Right after the Buffalo game, I mentioned that. This is the offseason is one that can vault Ballard from a good GM to a HoF GM. He has to nail the QB.

1 minute ago, Colt.45 said:

Jacoby is a free agent who isnt very good. I'd be really surprised if they brought him back.

I agree, it's an offseason of numerous possibilities. Right after the Buffalo game, I mentioned that. This is the offseason is one that can vault Ballard from a good GM to a HoF GM. He has to nail the QB.

He could do the best possible and still not end up with a great qb.   They don't grow on trees

3 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

My sources are telling me that Ballard already has a trade in place to move up. 

Not really...but it's definitely within the range of outcomes now...as is trading for someone like Wentz and Darnold.

But given the other needs on this team...it makes a lot of sense to do what is necessary to get a cheap young QB and then use those cap savings ($40M or so) in FA to supplement LT/WR/EDGE/CB. Fling open the SB competitive window.

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I land on this being the best option. 

36 minutes ago, krunk said:

To me if Eason is not ready it makes the most sense to go after one of the younger vet QB like Stafford, Darnold, and to a lesser degree Wentz. Somebody who can sit in there until we find someone we like in the draft or until Eason is ready.

This unfortunately could also include Jacoby being a starter for us as an additional option. I say this bc at this point he may be a better option than getting Darnold or Wentz. Wentz has the higher ceiling if you can correct his issues though.

I think the only reclamation would be Darnold.

There is an alternative universe where they trade for Stafford and he mentors Eason...who is a similarly big-armed QB. But I think they want a more mobile QB.

1 minute ago, Colt.45 said:

Yeah, they have to see if someone like Mariota or Alex Smith is released. They would make better backups than JB at this point. Who knows, Alex Smith might retire too???

JB will be back only if he agrees to a fourth of what he is getting, around the $4 - 5mil. range for being a backup, IMO. The only reason he might get that from us is his familiarity. 

13 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He could do the best possible and still not end up with a great qb.   They don't grow on trees

Sure, that's why it'd vault him to HoF. I didn't say it was going to be easy. If nailing the QB was easy, everyone would be in the hall right?

9 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I think the only reclamation would be Darnold.

There is an alternative universe where they trade for Stafford and he mentors Eason...who is a similarly big-armed QB. But I think they want a more mobile QB.

Sam Darnold could join the long list of players that never got to develop under Adam Gase but smartened up and did better elsewhere. From Ryan Tannehill to Minkah Fitzpatrick to Kenyan Drake to even LeVeon Bell, players underwhelming under Adam Gase played better elsewhere and even a star player like Bell was underutilized. 

Sam Darnold is an extreme low risk high reward move with a 3rd rounder if we cannot get a vet like Stafford or Carr, IMO. At worst, he would be fighting for a starting position with Eason, and at best he would outplay him and shine well with our OL and his ability to extend plays and throw on the run with better coaching. 

I am not down on Darnold as some here are, to be honest. I saw enough potential and I saw the results of the games when he did not turn the ball over when his team did well vs the Rams and Browns towards the end of the season.

40 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

In his statement, Rivers only specifically thanked San Diego fans. And he took his retirement story to a San Diego reporter. I think he was aware of all the criticism of him in Indy, and Ballard was aware of it as well and wished Rivers could have experienced cheering fans in the stands. 

Interesting that he didn't thank LA, either. (Assuming he did not mention them)

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If Darnold was brought in it would be to compete with Eason.  I don’t even want to think about the regression of guys like Pittman if Jacoby is the starter. It just might be time to start the clock and see what Eason can do. Have a vet like Jacoby begins him if things get rocky.  

If Darnold is brought in, there is no need for Jacoby to even be considered for the starting position. Whoever wins the battle between Darnold and Eason starts and we move on from JB. 

15 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Sam Darnold could join the long list of players that never got to develop under Adam Gase but smartened up and did better elsewhere. From Ryan Tannehill to Minkah Fitzpatrick to Kenyan Drake to even LeVeon Bell, players underwhelming under Adam Gase played better elsewhere and even a star player like Bell was underutilized. 

Sam Darnold is an extreme low risk high reward move with a 3rd rounder if we cannot get a vet like Stafford or Carr, IMO. At worst, he would be fighting for a starting position with Eason, and at best he would outplay him and shine well with our OL and his ability to extend plays and throw on the run with better coaching. 

I am not down on Darnold as some here are, to be honest. I saw enough potential and I saw the results of the games when he did not turn the ball over when his team did well vs the Rams and Browns towards the end of the season.

I forgot about Carr. That would be another savvy move Ballard could make. So my top 2 now are Stafford and Carr.

6 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

I predicted this as soon as the season ended. I hope they do not bring Jacoby back to be the starter. He had many chances to be our franchise QB and he dropped the ball. 

It was Ebron who dropped it

3 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Now he can go home and make babies :funny:

He's got his starting O already 

6 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

If Ballard thought Eason was our QB for the future, he sure is keeping it a Secret.

I think he was pretty clear on that though. The kid could be the QB but there's no info. If you were Mr Ballard, would you name this kid your future when you've never seen him in front of live bullets?

Throwing a pretty ball, or shining in covid practice isnt the same thing.

12 minutes ago, Jeremy Waldon said:

I wouldnt mind bringing Chad Kelly back and run him with him and Eason

Nope 

2 minutes ago, Derakynn said:

Time for the Colts pit stop on the Fitzmagic NFL Tour.

Nah

2 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Colts may go ALL IN on Wentz and not have to look for a QB every year or so. 

Only for a 5th tops 

Archived