Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Philip Rivers is retiring from the NFL

3 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

you keep saying that but to be honest i think Ballard lets brissett test free agency because i'm sure he knew the possibility of rivers not coming back or he wouldn't have told rivers he didn't want him back if he wasn't 100 percent sure.

What makes you think Ballard told Rivers anything? 

• Like 1
  • Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I doubt that

Hail fellow, well met.   I'm glad we had Rivers in 2020. I'm very glad he had a good season, and so did the team. I'm disappointed we couldn't get him to the SB, and I'm kind of disappointed

Much respect to Rivers He came and played very well for us last season. Exceeded most expectations.     Wish nothing but the best for him and his family. Look forward to the day he gets

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I doubt that

I think if Ballard said let’s run it back for 25 million dollars, Rivers doesn’t retire.  Could be wrong.  No way to truly know.  Just me

speculating.  

Thanks Phil.  I for one really enjoyed watching you play for us even if it was only for one year.  Watching you lead and direct our offense was priceless.  Your leadership, talent and experience showed Colt's fans that we have a great team now and all we were missing is a talented veteran QB like yourself to lead us to the SB.  Unfortunately it won't be you this year but fortunately you helped show all of us and Ballard that all we need is the right veteran to take your place.  Thanks again for trying one last time as a Colt.  

• Like 3
Just now, crazycolt1 said:

I listened to the interview and I didn't hear Ballard say anything about not wanting Rivers back. 

CB said that if Rivers wasn't 100 percent sure he didn't want him back clear as day lol

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I am shocked. I feel bad for Reich. I hate to say this but it increases the chances Jacoby is back next year and starts. If none of these veterans are available and can’t trade up. 

We might end up with Jacoby and Eason competing to start 

God please no. Brissett better not start another season for Indy. He's good for a few games, but that's about it. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I'm a little bummed. PR coming back would have made things much easier. Now we absolutely know we have QB and LT to solve 4, plus 2 DEs and a CB who are FAs... that's 5 out of the most expensive 6 positions.... really nope we re-sign Houston/Autry/Rhodes now. 

And I just hope this isn't JB part 3, or Wentz.... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

I listened to the interview and I didn't hear Ballard say anything about not wanting Rivers back. 

Ballard said and I quote:

Phillip just never really got to know the Colts fans and that hurts.

I mentioned this in a previous post I made after Ballards press conference, and told everyone that he knew Rivers wouldn't come back. 

• Like 1

Damn, I'm not shocked but also didn't entirely expect it. 

Either way, congrats to Rivers on a stellar career. I absolutely enjoyed his short stay with the Colts. He wasn't close to his best days physically, but you could absolutely see the talent and smarts that made him one of the better QBs of the generation even at this age. It was a joy to watch masterful execution of an offense for a new team and with very little off-season gelling up with teammates. He was the ultimate pro and I'm glad he was a Colt for his last year. 

Cheers to him and hopefully he stays in football because the game can use his passion, love for the game and knowledge, be it as a coach, a commentator or as an exec.  

P.S. About the Colts... so... draft QB anybody? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He might be the only option if none of those veterans are available. Doesn’t sound like Darnold or Wentz will be available. The lions are picking 7th so they might not even take a QB or get one. 

Our 1st. could help them move up they need to. 

• Like 1
Just now, EastStreet said:

I'm a little bummed. PR coming back would have made things much easier. Now we absolutely know we have QB and LT to solve 4, plus 2 DEs and a CB who are FAs... that's 5 out of the most expensive 6 positions.... really nope we re-sign Houston/Autry/Rhodes now. 

And I just hope this isn't JB part 3, or Wentz.... 

I think we trade for a QB, draft OT, sign a stud DE, and resign Rhodes. 

I think Houston and Autry both are likely gone. I just don't see value in them at their projected asking price.

4 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

I mentioned this in a previous post I made after Ballards press conference, and told everyone that he knew Rivers wouldn't come back. 

Putting personal interpretations into that comment don't make it a fact? No where did Ballard say that Rivers was not coming back or that he didn't want to resign him. 

2 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I think Houston and Autry both are likely gone. I just don't see value in them at their projected asking price.

I think we trade for a QB. Draft a DE, resign Rhodes and another good CB, since they take so long to develope.

This isn't terribly surprising and the on field product should be a clue that the team is basically a slightly more dynamic player at the QB position away from being a top 5 team.

I sorta like Rivers now though.. Didn't before. He's actually a guy you could root for and in this era, I don't turn my nose up at that. 

• Like 3
49 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Hindsight does strange things to people's minds. 

Honestly  Eason may be better than  Love, but who knows what Ballard  will do

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
24 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

no value in Autry or Houston?  They both outperformed their salaries. Let me know all the guys that aren't on rook contracts that outperformed Houston at 9M and Autry at 5M in the pressures and sacks categories. Might be a few, maybe.. 

if we trade for a QB, that's another hole to fill. i'm not opposed, but it is another hole. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To me if Eason is not ready it makes the most sense to go after one of the younger vet QB like Stafford, Darnold, and to a lesser degree Wentz. Somebody who can sit in there until we find someone we like in the draft or until Eason is ready.

This unfortunately could also include Jacoby being a starter for us as an additional option. I say this bc at this point he may be a better option than getting Darnold or Wentz. Wentz has the higher ceiling if you can correct his issues though.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, krunk said:

To me if Eason is not ready it makes the most sense to go after one of the younger vet QB like Stafford, Darnold, and to a lesser degree Wentz. Somebody who can sit in there until we find someone we like in the draft or until Eason is ready.

This unfortunately could also include Jacoby being a starter for us as an additional option. I say this bc at this point he may be a better option than getting Darnold or Wentz. Wentz has the higher ceiling if you can correct his issues though.

I could see them going with Jacoby for s year until Eason is ready if there are no other options.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Wow, I feel kind of sad. 

He put on one heck of a performance as the Colts QB. Amazing play in the playoffs. I was looking forward to him coming back. I wish him nothing but good fortune and have nothing but gratitude for Rivers. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Not trying to be argumentative but I doubt that. 25 million for a HOF QB is already a low figure. 

The salary cap will be lower due to covid-19 and many on the team are due for big raises. There's no way I would have paid Rivers another $25M for next season. He had a good statistical season but you're not gonna win a championship with him next year. 

What we need is a 1st contract QB based on all the big contracts we have coming in the next 2 years. That we have so many needs at high value positions is a real quandry also.
Yes, CB and company have their work cut out.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I could see them going with Jacoby for s year until Eason is ready if there are no other options.

That would be a mistake. We know what Jacoby is, I don't see any point in going to that well

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
46 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

In his statement, Rivers only specifically thanked San Diego fans. And he took his retirement story to a San Diego reporter. I think he was aware of all the criticism of him in Indy, and Ballard was aware of it as well and wished Rivers could have experienced cheering fans in the stands. 

• Like 1