Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Philip Rivers is retiring from the NFL

Legitimately surprised, thought he would be locked in to playing one more season. Regardless, fortunate we were able to witness one year of Rivers in a Colts uniform. We will see him in Canton, Ohio next!

• Like 5
  • Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I doubt that

Hail fellow, well met.   I'm glad we had Rivers in 2020. I'm very glad he had a good season, and so did the team. I'm disappointed we couldn't get him to the SB, and I'm kind of disappointed

Much respect to Rivers He came and played very well for us last season. Exceeded most expectations.     Wish nothing but the best for him and his family. Look forward to the day he gets

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I am shocked. I feel bad for Reich. I hate to say this but it increases the chances Jacoby is back next year and starts. If none of these veterans are available and can’t trade up. 

Frank reich better roll with Eason or trask. Then draft the best tackle or guard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

All I can say is Jacoby coming back now is not so far fetched. This sounds like it was his decision. No LT or QB. Ballard now has his hardest offseason yet. This team probably will take a step back for the short term. These other QB to trade for might not even be available.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I somewhat had a bit of a feeling he would retire when he said he was leaving it up to Gods will. Scripture tells you to keep your word and he had already indicated to the high school that hed coach. Plus his son is only going to be a high schooler for so long.

• Like 4
47 minutes ago, Nate! said:

Colts must’ve told him they were going in a different direction.  

I doubt it. A bird in hand is worth more than 2 in the bush. The Colts are not the kind to make knee jerk reactions. If you had told me that after the SB, yeah, I can see that. While Rivers' evaluation of the 2020 season might be done, the team's options would not be finalized till before the combine, IMO, for decision making.

It very well could be a case of Rivers realizing what he had to go through this season, examining his own limitations and what he would have to commit to next year and deciding he wasn't into it 100%.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Eason, trask, Stafford,  trade up for wilson, darnold, resign Brissett.  Trade up for fields not likely but never know

trade up for Wilson.. yes please. Trask, Stafford.. no please.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

I somewhat had a bit of a feeling he would retire when he said he was leaving it up to Gods will. Scripture tells you to keep your word and he had already indicated to the high school that head coach. Plus his son is only going to be a high schooler for so long.

His heart I felt, was leaning that way, based on hearing him talk. 

So, now his family moves to Alabama, huh? :) 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Either that, or they told him he would be getting much less the $25 if they brought him back next season. 

Not trying to be argumentative but I doubt that. 25 million for a HOF QB is already a low figure. 

Have nothing but respect for Phil.  Came in without a training camp, less talent, played on a bad toe for a good amount of the season, and still willed us to the playoffs.  

from here, if we miss on wentz, stafford, or Watson...I say we ride it out with Eason and see what we have.

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Rivers had a solid year when most critics didnt think he would, doubts about arm strength proved unfounded as he went deep whenever needed. Hope he make the hall some day, numbers say he should but some great QB's didnt make it in like Ken Stabler so we shall see.

"The Snake" was elected to Canton in 2016, unfortunately he passed away the year prior so he never got to know or enjoy it.

• Sad 1

Wauw...

I won't say it's a huge surprise that he retires, but Ballard has really been unlucky with his QB room in his time in Indy.

Rivers was a great signing and actually did an amazing job, when considering that he had no full training camp and had to work with and had limited time to learn his team to know.

Thank you Phillip for your time here in indy and best of luck going forward.

Now the real work for Ballard begins and his options are limited.

Does they bring back Brissett now or let him go?

Bringing him back, makes so much more sense right now, with Rivers retiring, but Brissette wont come cheap.

Does the Colts make a trade for one of the younger QB´s in the draft?

Do they trade for a QB like Wentz, Darnold or Stafford or bring in Kaepernick or Newton?

With no training camp to evaluate Eason, now what?

The questions might never have been bigger when it comes to the QB position in indy, as it may be this offseason.

So Ballard once again is caught on the QB limbo :/   

15 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Rivers had a solid year when most critics didnt think he would, doubts about arm strength proved unfounded as he went deep whenever needed. Hope he make the hall some day, numbers say he should but some great QB's didnt make it in like Ken Stabler so we shall see.

Ken Stabler is in the HOF. He was voted in in 2016 sever weeks after he passed away. 

• Sad 1
3 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

Have nothing but respect for Phil.  Came in without a training camp, less talent, played on a bad toe for a good amount of the season, and still willed us to the playoffs.  

from here, if we miss on wentz, stafford, or Watson...I say we ride it out with Eason and see what we have.

I think you might be right. Saves cap space. Just take the lumps for a year. But I have a bad feeling Jacoby will get another chance.

1.) Matt Stafford 

2A & 2B.) Jameis Winston/Trey Lance (tie)

3.) Jacob Eason

4.) Carson Wentz(restructured contract)

100.) Jacoby Brissett

I love Brissett as a person, but there is zero reason for him to be our starter as everybody knows he isn't ever going to be able to take you to the promised land. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We had a ton of draft capital to move up last year and Love was right there. Last draft might of been a huge mistake for Ballard.

Hindsight does strange things to people's minds. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

He was a "bridge" QB for us, a stopgap of sorts.  IMO, he performed as well as anyone could expect given the circumstance.  He was a huge upgrade over Brissett and I'll be beyond upset if we even think of going back to JB as our projected starter.

Ultimately it's like yanking the bandaid off.  Time to set our future at QB.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rivers has been a class act all year, and I think his contribution went far beyond what the majority of fans expected, and even probably a little beyond what the organisation expected.

This off-season was already going to be important but now it's monumental.

• Like 2
Just now, Colts1324 said:

1.) Matt Stafford 

2A & 2B.) Jameis Winston/Trey Lance (tie)

3.) Jacob Eason

4.) Carson Wentz(restructured contract)

100.) Jacoby Brissett

I love Brissett as a person, but there is zero reason for him to be our starter as everybody knows he isn't ever going to be able to take you to the promised land. 

He might be the only option if none of those veterans are available. Doesn’t sound like Darnold or Wentz will be available. The lions are picking 7th so they might not even take a QB or get one. 

Here are my 2 cents:

Re-sign Jacoby Brissett for a minimal salary and tell him he will need to compete for the starting QB job while keeping Eason in the fray. This keeps a veteran presence on the team and a guy who could help out a young QB room.

• Draft a WR1 with our pick in Round 1 - the team needs weapons regardless who the QB is
  • Trade up to the end of Round 1 or to the top of Round 2 and draft Trask - accurate pocket passer who can run this type of offense almost immediately or maybe sit 1 year if needed

The QB room would be Trask on a rookie deal, Eason in his 2nd year on a rookie deal, and a fairly cheap veteran in Brissett. This will keep the salary for our QBs pretty low, allowing free agency money to be spent elsewhere.

• Sign a veteran Left Tackle who can immediately start - keeps the rest of a very good O-Line intact and should protect the QB while continuing to be a force in the running game
  • Sign Mack to a cheap, team-friendly deal to really commit to the ground game to help out a young QB - Taylor, Mack, and Hines will be a great trio of RBs that this team can rely on and win

• Sad 1
4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think you might be right. Saves cap space. Just take the lumps for a year. But I have a bad feeling Jacoby will get another chance.

you keep saying that but to be honest i think Ballard lets brissett test free agency because i'm sure he knew the possibility of rivers not coming back or he wouldn't have told rivers he didn't want him back if he wasn't 100 percent sure.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

He might be the only option if none of those veterans are available. Doesn’t sound like Darnold or Wentz will be available. The lions are picking 7th so they might not even take a QB or get one. 

One of Wentz/Hurts will be available, and so will Winston, most likely with the Saints rebuilding. 

The Jets would be *s to pass up Fields, so I think Darnold becomes available too

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We had a ton of draft capital to move up last year and Love was right there. Last draft might of been a huge mistake for Ballard.

Yeah, Love was not the guy....hence, not moving up for someone else's mistake ....

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

This might seal TY fate too. Maybe they decide to draft another WR and just start over with the young guys.

How does Rivers retiring effect TY 

God Bless Philip Rivers 

Hope he enjoys the rest of his days 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ballard knew rivers age and that this could happen.

Of course he did. But I'm not going back and using hindsight to complain about what did or didn't happen. 

Playing the "what if" game serves no purpose. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

One of Wentz/Hurts will be available, and so will Winston, most likely with the Saints rebuilding. 

The Jets would be *s to pass up Fields, so I think Darnold becomes available too

They would be smart to trade down 

Just now, ThorstenDenmark said:

We could just sign Mike Glennon and get the #1 pick in next years draft... he's now been on three teams to get the number 1 draft pick haha

We should have done that this year with Lawrence