Philip Rivers is retiring from the NFL

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I doubt that

Hail fellow, well met.   I'm glad we had Rivers in 2020. I'm very glad he had a good season, and so did the team. I'm disappointed we couldn't get him to the SB, and I'm kind of disappointed

Much respect to Rivers He came and played very well for us last season. Exceeded most expectations.     Wish nothing but the best for him and his family. Look forward to the day he gets

Posted Images

Wow. I’m honestly shocked. He didn’t get to experience Coltsnation without a world-wide pandemic and that makes me sad.

But good luck in retirement, Phil! :rock:

Now we can really start putting resources into the future QB.

• Like 4
  • tvturner changed the title to Philip Rivers is retiring from the NFL

Well, that takes one of the biggest unknowns out of the equation. 

Of course a new one slides right into that spot, but at least we know which direction we’re supposed to head in now. A little clarity even with new clouds of uncertainty. 

Thanks, Phil. Best of luck! 

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Nate! said:

Colts must’ve told him they were going in a different direction.  

Most likely River's told them, but.....if what you said is true, it means the Colts already have a deal worked out for their next QB.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
23 minutes ago, Nate! said:

Colts must’ve told him they were going in a different direction.  

Either that, or they told him he would be getting much less the $25 if they brought him back next season. 

I am completely shocked. I 100% thought he WANTED to come back & the only way he retires is if the Colts don't bring him back. 

After listening to Ballard's press conference, it sounds like he was coming back. 

Can't say I'm upset about it because I think Rivers wouldn't have won us a SB, and it would have held us back a year. However; Ballard is about to have to put up or shut up. He's an amazing GM, but this is a tall task. 

We shall see.

Not surprised. Thanks Phil for giving it your all. Thanks for doing this earlier rather than later in the off season.

Ballard and Co. have some work to do, but I wouldn't want another GM working on it.

Question #1 is which QB do we pursue?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, coltsva said:

This off season just got REALLY interesting!

Definitely! 

I'm shocked as well, I was sure he'd give it 1 more go but the timing of it leads me to believe that it was his choice, and he was considerate enough to let the team know good & early.

I'm sure he'll get into Canton eventually, but retiring this year means he'll come up eligible at the same time as Drew Brees, and possibly Ben Roethlisberger as well and that doesn't bode well for him getting inducted on the 1st ballot.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

Not surprised. Thanks Phil for giving it your all. Thanks for doing this earlier rather than later in the off season.

Ballard and Co. have some work to do, but I wouldn't want another GM working on it.

Question #1 is which QB do we pursue?

Eason, trask, Stafford,  trade up for wilson, darnold, resign Brissett.  Trade up for fields not likely but never know

I am shocked. I feel bad for Reich. I hate to say this but it increases the chances Jacoby is back next year and starts. If none of these veterans are available and can’t trade up. 

We might end up with Jacoby and Eason competing to start 

• Sad 2

Rivers had a solid year when most critics didnt think he would, doubts about arm strength proved unfounded as he went deep whenever needed. Hope he make the hall some day, numbers say he should but some great QB's didnt make it in like Ken Stabler so we shall see.

I am going to keep the vibes of this thread as positive as I can. :) 

Thank you Philip!!! Thanks for everything you gave to the Colts this year!!! Thanks for fighting through your toe injury and keeping the playoff hopes alive for Colts nation!!! Thanks for letting us witness what good QB'ing can do with our talent assembled. Thanks for giving your best even if you went down swinging in the playoff game. 

Thanks for being a great teammate and football player throughout your career!!! You deserve to enjoy retirement with no regrets and hopefully we will see you in the HOF in the next 6 years. :thmup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow, didn't see that coming. Definitely thought he would be back one more year. Best of luck to Rivers in retirement, I enjoyed this season.

Ballard, you have your work cut out for you next year. Not many choices, going to be interesting.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Oh well! Hoping for Stafford. Wentz might be a possibility if Reich feels the problems are correctable.

Stay far from wentz too much money. Rather have eason or a rookie  starting.  

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Oh well! Hoping for Stafford. Wentz might be a possibility if Reich feels the problems are correctable.

I think the Lions might actually go for a QB at No.7 knowing they will have enough trade options for Stafford, I am guessing. The new GM will be given a few years of leeway and he will try to maximize infusion of talent (mainly defensive) into his squad and his biggest bargaining chip is Stafford at this point to gain a first rounder in order to add defensive talent to a slow defense. I would still keep options open till draft day if I were Ballard.

Glad he at least did it now and it gives Ballard extra time to work on our 2021 QB situation, although I'm sure Ballard was already preparing for this possibility.  I'm not going to speculate on what direction we go, but I know Ballard will leave no stone unturned to fill the QB position.

• Like 6