Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Philip Rivers is retiring from the NFL

tvturner

I hated the idea of Rivers coming here when it was first announced (ever since the RCA Dome incident) but over the course of the season, I realized he wasn't so bad. I appreciated he played better than I thought he would. 

Thanks for what you did for the Colts, Philip Rivers! 

Can't wait to see who's QB for Colts next season.

Anyone but Brissett please!! 

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

Thank you rivers .     I am so happy we can get to see Eason play . Colts need to complete a mini  rebuild now and not sign any old guys back no Houston Rhodes Carrie or any one  over 30 .   Now the colts with ac and rivers gone save 42 million in cap and should have 85 million to get a elite young pass rusher a corner wr who are in their prime . Then draft a tackle first round another pass rusher 2nd and corner third . With Eason and a younger better team we are making the playoffs and Eason will put the haters to shame. 

Let’s not get out ahead of our skis on Eason.  As things stand right now, I’d be very surprised if he’s our Week 1 starter next year.  I’d be surprised if he’s a starter any week for us, save for an injury situation.

Ballard and Reich clearly like him.  But I’ve never heard anything from them that sounds like they’re confident that he’s ready to be a starter in the NFL.  In fact, I’ve never heard anything from them that suggests they ever expect him to be a full-time starter.

10 minutes ago, King Colt said:

They don't need a 5 star QB to come in to put them over the top. Rather, one like Brissett that can keep the team competitive.

They're a 7-9 (if) team if they roll JB out as the starter next year. 

I don't see it happening given that JB didn't start this past season.

1 minute ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I'd rather draft a QB, resign Kelly, and let them all fight for the spot than bring back JB.

I’m sure they’re weighing all options.  And moving back to Brissett will be one of them.

That said, I’m a huge believer in the maxim that actions speak louder than words.  And the loudest action we have to go by was their decision to ink Rivers to a 1 year deal despite still carrying Jacoby at a starter’s salary for that year.

Translation:  they think we can do better at that position and will spend the capital needed to do that.

4 hours ago, krunk said:

Oh well! Hoping for Stafford. Wentz might be a possibility if Reich feels the problems are correctable.

I hope not! There’s some real character issues there are far as being a “team first” guy, performance under pressure and cost.

2 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

I think he was pretty clear on that though. The kid could be the QB but there's no info. If you were Mr Ballard, would you name this kid your future when you've never seen him in front of live bullets?

Throwing a pretty ball, or shining in covid practice isnt the same thing.

Yea but drafting  a rookie would leave us in same predicament.  Who knows if there will be preseason games

8 minutes ago, IinD said:

@Indeee

What a sad list that is.. Lol

Going to be a loooong off-season...

As has been said many times, it’s hard to find a franchise QB.  Many teams spends many years — decades, even — on the hunt.  And not that many guys pan out to that level.

In that department, we’re probably the 3rd most fortunate franchise in the league over recent history.  The Pats are obviously first with everything Brady accomplished...and Bledsoe was no slouch.  The Packers are behind them — they’ve basically had 2 starting QBs since 1992.  And both of them are HoF caliber.

Steelers and Saints are in that discussion too.

3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Yea but drafting  a rookie would leave us in same predicament.  Who knows if there will be preseason games

I’d be very surprised if either Eason or a rookie is starting under center for us on week 1.  I’d also be surprised (but less so) if Brissett is.

I fully expect Ballard to hit the FA/Trade market.  I just hope it’s not Wentz.  He’s regressed a lot since he signed that fat contract (which hasn’t really even kicked in yet).  But the contract hasn’t regressed with him.

2 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I’d be very surprised if either Eason or a rookie is starting under center for us on week 1.  I’d also be surprised (but less so) if Brissett is.

I fully expect Ballard to hit the FA/Trade market.  I just hope it’s not Wentz.  He’s regressed a lot since he signed that fat contract (which hasn’t really even kicked in yet).  But the contract hasn’t regressed with him.

Yea Im afraid wentz or foles will come stink it up here

12 minutes ago, krunk said:

As others have stated the guy hasnt had much help. Did you not watch Colts vs Lions this year? His OL was pitiful. Just like a soft roll of Charmin.

I’m talking about his entire career.  Agreed he didn’t have much talent recently but he’s been in the league a while.  His arm strength is decent but so is Brisette’s.  Phil while not perfect helped this team last year and played well.  If we had Stafford we’d appreciate Rivers IMHO.

Being a former Chargers fan I loved Rivers and was wrong about drafting Herbert as he’s a stud.  We’re in a tough division with Titans and Texans and need a good QB

19 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

OK, if the Eagles said, like the Osweiler deal the Texans made with the Browns and said, I will give you a current 2nd and future 3rd if you take Wentz and his entire contract, would you do it?

I would definitely think about it, personally in that scenario. 

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

OK, if the Eagles said, like the Osweiler deal the Texans made with the Browns and said, I will give you a current 2nd and future 3rd if you take Wentz and his entire contract, would you do it?

That's my scenario, and I'd do it before they had a chance to change their minds.

13 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

No more stop gaps. This is your chance to get a guy

If only “getting a guy” was as easy as you make it sound.  Teams don’t get stop-gaps because they want to.  They do it because their range of realistic options is limited.

Most teams that give up a bunch of picks and players to get high in the draft (or to acquire a vet) end up regretting it.

Remember when Ditka traded his entire draft to get the 5th pick (which was Ricky Williams)?  That haunted the Saints for years.  Same with the Vikings when they sold the farm for Herschel Walker.   One of the guys the Cowboys got because of that was Emmitt Smith.

My biggest fear is the Colts will try to resign Jacoby Brissett.  He has proven again and again he is not an NFL starting QB.  I hope they can either trade for a guy like Stafford or Darnold or have Luck come back by some miracle.  But when names like Jameis Winston is floated around, I get no sleep.

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

No way on earth.  I would for the pre-injury Carson Wentz.  But they’d never have made that offer.

Wentz is now a huge liability for whoever has him — an average quarterback with a star’s salary.

I still think here is a belief on here that the Colts can pick someone in the first round and we have our new franchise QB.  There are far more Josh Rosens then there Aaron Rodgers.  I don't see anyway we will go into next season with a rookie and Jacob Eason as the QBs.  I am sure Ballard will bring in some veteran.  I would say if the right guy isn't there, don't take one in first.

17 minutes ago, Beardog said:

I’m talking about his entire career.  Agreed he didn’t have much talent recently but he’s been in the league a while.  His arm strength is decent but so is Brisette’s.  Phil while not perfect helped this team last year and played well.  If we had Stafford we’d appreciate Rivers IMHO.

Being a former Chargers fan I loved Rivers and was wrong about drafting Herbert as he’s a stud.  We’re in a tough division with Titans and Texans and need a good QB

Most of his career the team has been bad to avg.

5 minutes ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

Great news! It’s a win-win situation. 
Good for Philip: nice career, avoids being criticized or even detested by fans when his wheels fall off (ala Peyton, Drew).

Good for Colts: it forces them to look for a long term solution, hopefully.

Are you saying that Ballard hasn’t already been looking for long term solutions?

I would guess he started thinking about that within 5 minutes of getting up off the floor after Luck informed him he was retiring.  Or at least I’d hope so.

He needs to do what is best for the team.  And sometimes that’s a short-term solution.

You think the Jags thought they had their long term solution when they drafted Blake Bortles with the 3rd pick?

I’d much rather have a decent short-term solution than a bad long-term one.

57 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Let’s not get out ahead of our skis on Eason.  As things stand right now, I’d be very surprised if he’s our Week 1 starter next year.  I’d be surprised if he’s a starter any week for us, save for an injury situation.

Ballard and Reich clearly like him.  But I’ve never heard anything from them that sounds like they’re confident that he’s ready to be a starter in the NFL.  In fact, I’ve never heard anything from them that suggests they ever expect him to be a full-time starter.

They might not have a choice , Ballard already said no qb in the draft that will fall to us is a starter . The free agent Qb market is terrible , unless Ballard makes a big trade Eason is the guy . I don’t see Ballard giving up enough for a trade he is stingy with draft picks . It’s Eason or jacoby is resigned that is the realist options left . Unless we bring in cam or Fitzpatrick.  I just don’t see Ballard giving up the colts future for a older veteran for a couple years .  

good like in retirement and life mr Rivers, thanks for giving it a shot! 

Now this is how a quality, professional and ethical QB retires, now instead of September. Looking at you Mr Andrew Luck!

4 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

They might not have a choice , Ballard already said no qb in the draft that will fall to us is a starter . The free agent Qb market is terrible , unless Ballard makes a big trade Eason is the guy . I don’t see Ballard giving up enough for a trade he is stingy with draft picks . It’s Eason or jacoby is resigned that is the realist options left . Unless we bring in cam or Fitzpatrick.  I just don’t see Ballard giving up the colts future for a older veteran for a couple years .  

I’d honestly like to ride Eason for next year. Let’s see what he’s made of. 

12 minutes ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

Great news! It’s a win-win situation. 
Good for Philip: nice career, avoids being criticized or even detested by fans when his wheels fall off (ala Peyton, Drew).

Good for Colts: it forces them to look for a long term solution, hopefully.

Kevin Bowen said the same thing on his pod today. Colts fans should be happy because it now forces their hand.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Kevin Bowen said the same thing on his pod today. Colts fans should be happy because it now forces their hand.

It really doesn't force anything. They could do the same thing (stop gap) again. They could draft another dice roll again. They could try to trade for a vet with questions... And if they swing and miss, could be JB again......

Some things I'm sure could work out, but some things might not. We were very close to a 13-3 season (minus silly stuff vs Jax and Pit) and a #2 playoff spot. I would have been more than happy to build off last year with PR again with better chemistry now with pass catchers, and a more mature RB.

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I would rather offer them Frank & our 1st for their 1st & a 3rd & let the Frank & Wentz rebirth project happen in Philly.  We take that pick and get our QB this year.  CB picks his own coach (I’m sure he’s been hoping the Bears would have fired Nagy.  Nagy has same overall record as Frank over these 3 years (28-20) except he had no Luck or Rivers.  And he seemed like CB’s first choice back in the day.  And unlike Frank, he’s willing to relinquish play calling duties).  Or maybe we just promote Eberflus and bring in a young creative O.C. to grow with our new QB.  Regardless what we do, please no Reich & Wentz here.  That sounds like a Philly Special. 

Just now, EastStreet said:

It really doesn't force anything. They could do the same thing (stop gap) again. They could draft another dice roll again. They could try to trade for a vet with questions... And if they swing and miss, could be JB again......

Some things I'm sure could work out, but some things might not. We were very close to a 13-3 season (minus silly stuff vs Jax and Pit) and a #2 playoff spot. I would have been more than happy to build off last year with PR again with better chemistry now with pass catchers, and a more mature RB.

yep same here, i wasn't sold on Rivers, but I would have liked to seen us for the first time since Reich has been here, have the same QB starting back to back years.  I know Reich gets a LOT of flak and much of it is deserved, and I give a lot to him myself, but to be fair, he's not really had any consistency at the most critical position in the game. 

33 minutes ago, chad72 said:

for that contract, i'd have to have a 1

57 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

As has been said many times, it’s hard to find a franchise QB.  Many teams spends many years — decades, even — on the hunt.  And not that many guys pan out to that level.

In that department, we’re probably the 3rd most fortunate franchise in the league over recent history.  The Pats are obviously first with everything Brady accomplished...and Bledsoe was no slouch.  The Packers are behind them — they’ve basically had 2 starting QBs since 1992.  And both of them are HoF caliber.

Steelers and Saints are in that discussion too.

Totally agree. I was just talking in terms of message board chatter. This place will be a not so fun read for the next few months.

I grew up on Jeff George types so I get losing.

There's going to be a ton of 'go get your guy'... Whoever that guy is?? I'm preparing myself for a lean year or two and hope to be surprised come September.

Archived