Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would you make another first round pick trade?

Just now, BProland85 said:

I wouldn’t hate it, but Indy has more pressing needs at starting QB and LT right now. I would love someone like Tyson Campbell in the 2nd round. 

I don't know. That move could put this defense over the top imo.

Just now, BProland85 said:

If Lattimore is still ascending and is considered a shut down CB then possibly. 

You don't think Lattimore is a top 5 corner?

9 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

If the players he projected and liked at 22 all get picked before us, I could see CB doing this, as a preferable alternative to trading down or picking someone they really weren't high on.

This isn't really a trade you make on draft day.

• Like 3
48 minutes ago, CR91 said:

They must of read my Saints Cap thread.

Just talking about this im last couple days? Coincidence? I think not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, w87r said:

They must of read my Saints Cap thread.

Just talking about this im last couple days? Coincidence? I think not.

Yup. They've done the same to me. We got a mole haha

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I love a tall lockdown corner as much as the next guy.   And Lattimore is great.

But corner ranks behind QB, LT and DE on our priority list and you want to use our first round pick to address that?   I don’t get that?

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I love a tall lockdown corner as much as the next guy.   And Lattimore is great.

But corner ranks behind QB, LT and DE on our priority list and you want to use our first round pick to address that?   I don’t get that?

Well I'd assume we'd re-sign Rivers. As far as DE goes, someone like Lattimore gives the Dline more time to get home which works for us since we don't blitz much. I mean imagine Lattimore, Rhodes, Moore with Rock and Tell to develop.

17 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Well I'd assume we'd re-sign Rivers. As far as DE goes, someone like Lattimore gives the Dline more time to get home which works for us since we don't blitz much. I mean imagine Lattimore, Rhodes, Moore with Rock and Tell to develop.

Even if we resign Rivers, we still have OT and DE to address.   I’d rather not deal with fixing both without our 1st round pick.   I think that’s dangerous. 

Be a solid replacement for X Rhodes.  Not sure if need to trade for him.  Too many spoiled with Luck and Manning as QB.  As for LT might have to sign Trent Williams then make a move to trade up for a QB.  Otherwise lean on Brissett and suck it up for a year.  Draft a stud CB in Rd 1 if that’s the case or DE.  Imo sitting too far back to get a top QB this year.

7 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

Be a solid replacement for X Rhodes.  Not sure if need to trade for him.  Too many spoiled with Luck and Manning as QB.  As for LT might have to sign Trent Williams then make a move to trade up for a QB.  Otherwise lean on Brissett and suck it up for a year.  Draft a stud CB in Rd 1 if that’s the case or DE.  Imo sitting too far back to get a top QB this year.

no way do not want GIF by CBC

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I would trade it for Stafford first but if they decide to keep Stafford then yes Lattimore would be a great addition with that pick.  

Stafford trade is contingent on 2 things:

. Rivers retires 

. Lions plan on drafting QB

Both are possible

I doubt it happens

From a talent acquisition perspective: yes. And if we didn't have a huge hole at qb I would be all for it.  But even if Rivers comes back  his salary would at least be the 25m he got in 2020, and if you trade for Lattimore you are going to have to give him an extension on average of 18m a year. And just from my perspective if theres a trade and long term signing Lattimore to a new deal,  if I'm Darius Leonard and Braden Smith going into year 4 of my 4 year rookie contract where I was a starter every game I was healthy for, I would be quite angry.

6 minutes ago, ColtV said:

From a talent acquisition perspective: yes. And if we didn't have a huge hole at qb I would be all for it.  But even if Rivers comes back  his salary would at least be the 25m he got in 2020, and if you trade for Lattimore you are going to have to give him an extension on average of 18m a year. And just from my perspective if theres a trade and long term signing Lattimore to a new deal,  if I'm Darius Leonard and Braden Smith going into year 4 of my 4 year rookie contract where I was a starter every game I was healthy for, I would be quite angry.

hulk smash GIF

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I would trade it for Stafford first but if they decide to keep Stafford then yes Lattimore would be a great addition with that pick.  

No way in hell I'm giving up a first for Stafford. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Even if we resign Rivers, we still have OT and DE to address.   I’d rather not deal with fixing both without our 1st round pick.   I think that’s dangerous. 

I still think we can move Smith to LT and we can just draft a RT in the second. DE we'd just have to re-sign Houston and hope Turay is finally healthy.

Just now, CR91 said:

I still think we can move Smith to LT and we can just draft a RT in the second. DE we'd just have to re-sign Houston and hope Turay is finally healthy.

I think Colts ultimately draft LT one of the first 2 rounds 

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

I think Colts ultimately draft LT one of the first 2 rounds 

I was referring to using a first on Lattimore

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, CR91 said:

No way in hell I'm giving up a first for Stafford. 

Well then you’re likely not getting him. 

I think when JC traded for Steve Smith about 6 years ago or so, I think it cost the Chiefs either a pair of twos or a 2 and a 3.   Even if we’re willing, some other team might offer better. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well then you’re likely not getting him. 

I think when JC traded for Steve Smith about 6 years ago or so, I think it cost the Chiefs either a pair of twos or a 2 and a 3.   Even if we’re willing, some other team might offer better. 

I was referring to Stafford not Lattimore.

12 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I think that’s a pipe dream.   Success at RT doesn’t mean you can also be successful at left tackle.  They’re completely different. 

Remember, Ballard had to be convinced that Smith and his 32.25 arms could play right tackle.   On the left side, teams prefer 34 or longer.   That’s, in part why Clark was considered such a good prospect.  His arms are 36 inches.   Yes, it will help having Nelson next to you.  But LT takes a special player. 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think that’s a pipe dream.   Success at RT doesn’t mean you can also be successful at left tackle.  They’re completely different. 

Remember, Ballard had to be convinced that Smith and his 32.25 arms could play right tackle.   On the left side, teams prefer 34 or longer.   That’s, in part why Clark was considered such a good prospect.  His arms are 36 inches.   Yes, it will help having Nelson next to you.  But LT takes a special player. 

And Clark and his long arms couldn't stop a ten year old. Smith has proven he's one of the best young linemen. There's always exception.

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I was referring to Stafford not Lattimore.

Huh?    I know.   I was explaining if you won’t trade a first for Stafford, then it’s unlikely you will get him.   We traded a first to get five very good years from Buckner. 

Odds are Stafford has 5 very good years left. A franchise QB who can give you 5 years should be able to command a first round pick. 

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

And Clark and his long arms couldn't stop a ten year old. Smith has proven he's one of the best young linemen. There's always exception.

If you try to compile a list of left tackles with 32 inch arms, the list might not be one deep.  In other words, zero. 

Left tackle is not a place you want to gamble on.   

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?    I know.   I was explaining if you won’t trade a first for Stafford, then it’s unlikely you will get him.   We traded a first to get five very good years from Buckner. 

Odds are Stafford has 5 very good years left. A franchise QB who can give you 5 years should be able to command a first round pick. 

Stafford is a stat QB not a winning QB. He still hasn't won a playoff game

• Thanks 1

If you try to compile a list of left tackles with 32 inch arms, the list might not be one deep.  In other words, zero. 

Left tackle is not a place you want to gamble on.   

All I'm saying it's worth exploring. Measurements don't matter when you have talent. 

Just now, danlhart87 said:

He plays for the Lions

They rarely if ever make playoffs 

And the bills and browns? Terrible franchises for a long time and both Allen and Mayfield have playoff wins.

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

All I'm saying it's worth exploring. Measurements don't matter when you have talent. 

Measurements don’t matter?   Really?

Tell that to Chris Ballard and he will laugh in your face.   Hysterically!   The Colts have measurement requirements for every position.   Yes, they sign exceptions to the rule,  like Kenny Moore,  but those are rare. 

Measurements don’t matter?   Really?

Tell that to Chris Ballard and he will laugh in your face.   Hysterically!   The Colts have measurement requirements for every position.   Yes, they sign exceptions to the rule,  like Kenny Moore,  but those are rare. 

I said Smith is an exception. He wasn't even supposed to play RT and now he's one of the best.

25 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Stafford is a stat QB not a winning QB. He still hasn't won a playoff game

Im not the poster who brought up Stafford.   Other posters did.  I’m just here explaining the downside of you wanting to spend our first on Lattimore.  Remember, I really like him.  Right guy, but the wrong off-season to make this move.