Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike Chappell tries to make the case for PM as a HOFer

Dogg63

The HOF criteria always seems to be a bit of a moving feast, but I don't think anyone could argue that Manning doesn't tick pretty much any box you want:

• Has the numbers 
  • Recognised as the 'best' at his position for multiple seasons (MVPs)
  • Won the big one, with two teams to boot
  • Was transcendent at the position, people really don't appreciate how special that offense was in terms of not relying on trickery, and it wouldn't work without PM
  • He pretty much built Indy to what it is now - I get that I'm late to the party and there were good years before but solidified the franchise
  • Has the best SNL performance 
  • Very much ticks the giving back box, I love hearing about his QB camps

All round true Hall of Fame legend and one of two reasons I became a Colts fan.

16 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

The HOF criteria always seems to be a bit of a moving feast, but I don't think anyone could argue that Manning doesn't tick pretty much any box you want:

• Has the numbers 
  • Recognised as the 'best' at his position for multiple seasons (MVPs)
  • Won the big one, with two teams to boot
  • Was transcendent at the position, people really don't appreciate how special that offense was in terms of not relying on trickery, and it wouldn't work without PM
  • He pretty much built Indy to what it is now - I get that I'm late to the party and there were good years before but solidified the franchise
  • Has the best SNL performance 
  • Very much ticks the giving back box, I love hearing about his QB camps

All round true Hall of Fame legend and one of two reasons I became a Colts fan.

Frankly I think Peyton and Woodson are no brainers.  It’s going to be hard for the other 13 to get three spots.  

15 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Frankly I think Peyton and Woodson are no brainers.  It’s going to be hard for the other 13 to get three spots.  

Yes, it'll be interesting to see how the selection committee decides.

It's not a particularly loaded class, which may be good for Reggie.   Calvin Johnson was such a freakish athlete that I think he's got a strong case at WR, too... though Reggie has ~3k more yards than him and ~1k more yards than the other WR on the ballot, Torry Holt.  Megatron has 83 TDs to Reggie's 82 (both trump Holt's 74).  Reggie's got 150 more receptions than Holt (1070 to 920), which both trump Megatron's 731.  So regular season wise, Reggie's 10th in yards and receptions... post-season wise the only more productive WRs than him in league history have been Jerry Rice and Julian Edelman in terms of receptions, and he's top 5 in yards and top 10 in TDs. Holt was also on the 2nd team 2000's all-decade team whereas Reggie and CJ were not 1st or 2nd team.

Not guaranteeing it, but it'd be very cool to see Reggie and Peyton go in together.  I don't really see anyone else on the list aside from Peyton and Woodson who are clearly more deserving than Reggie.  IMO, Reggie's biggest critiques will be that he was WR 2 to Marv for a decent chunk of his career.  He also wasn't on the 2000's all decade team and has just 1 first team all-pro and 2 2nd team all pro appearances.

John Lynch (8x), Faneca (6x) and Boselli (5x) have all been on the ballot a while, which may help their case over Reggie... and Jared Allen's 136 sacks are pretty impressive as well as his 4x first-team all pro (but his sacks are only 12th all time - whereas Reg is top 10 in two WR categories and one of best post-season WRs in history).  Richard Seymour was on the first team 2000's all decade team and has multiple (3) 1st team and (2) 2nd team all-pros and multiple SB rings.  Ronde Barber and Zach Thomas were both 2nd team 2000's all decade team and multiple 1st and 2nd team all-pros.  LeRoy Butler has 4x first-team all pros and was on the 1990's all decade team.  I don't think Clay Matthews Jr. or Sam Mills really have a shot, other than their age.. but IMO they didn't have HOF worth careers (CM Jr. 1x 2nd team all pro, Sam Mills 1x first team, 2x 2nd team all-pro and has a cool story of coming from a D3 school and playing in the USFL before making it to NFL.. but his numbers don't really scream HOF to me).

1 hour ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

I don't think you have to make a case for Peyton!! His stats speak for themselves!! He is a 1st year HOF pick, its a no brainier!!!

Agreed, did you watch the video of Chappell making his case? If not, you should, and I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy it. 

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

No case needed. It should be like a perfect long pass to Shaq (in his playing days) under the basket with no defenders in the paint. The backboard is the only thing you need to pray for. 

Reggie may take a while.

I agree about Reggie. It seems sometimes WRs are back logged and slow to get in. 

I didn't particularly like Terrell Owens but IMO he was a 1st ballet. 

27 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I agree about Reggie. It seems sometimes WRs are back logged and slow to get in. 

There's just a lot more WRs getting 1000/year, than there are QBs playing like PM. Reggie absolutely deserves to get in, but there are a lot of WRs in similar boats. 

On 1/19/2021 at 9:22 PM, Tsarquise said:

It is almost confounding as to why anyone is making a case for him; his inclusion goes without saying. 

Automatic.

It is a formality, but no one has to make a case for Peyton Manning. 

On 1/19/2021 at 4:04 PM, CurBeatElite said:

Yes, it'll be interesting to see how the selection committee decides.

It's not a particularly loaded class, which may be good for Reggie.   Calvin Johnson was such a freakish athlete that I think he's got a strong case at WR, too... though Reggie has ~3k more yards than him and ~1k more yards than the other WR on the ballot, Torry Holt.  Megatron has 83 TDs to Reggie's 82 (both trump Holt's 74).  Reggie's got 150 more receptions than Holt (1070 to 920), which both trump Megatron's 731.  So regular season wise, Reggie's 10th in yards and receptions... post-season wise the only more productive WRs than him in league history have been Jerry Rice and Julian Edelman in terms of receptions, and he's top 5 in yards and top 10 in TDs. Holt was also on the 2nd team 2000's all-decade team whereas Reggie and CJ were not 1st or 2nd team.

Not guaranteeing it, but it'd be very cool to see Reggie and Peyton go in together.  I don't really see anyone else on the list aside from Peyton and Woodson who are clearly more deserving than Reggie.  IMO, Reggie's biggest critiques will be that he was WR 2 to Marv for a decent chunk of his career.  He also wasn't on the 2000's all decade team and has just 1 first team all-pro and 2 2nd team all pro appearances.

John Lynch (8x), Faneca (6x) and Boselli (5x) have all been on the ballot a while, which may help their case over Reggie... and Jared Allen's 136 sacks are pretty impressive as well as his 4x first-team all pro (but his sacks are only 12th all time - whereas Reg is top 10 in two WR categories and one of best post-season WRs in history).  Richard Seymour was on the first team 2000's all decade team and has multiple (3) 1st team and (2) 2nd team all-pros and multiple SB rings.  Ronde Barber and Zach Thomas were both 2nd team 2000's all decade team and multiple 1st and 2nd team all-pros.  LeRoy Butler has 4x first-team all pros and was on the 1990's all decade team.  I don't think Clay Matthews Jr. or Sam Mills really have a shot, other than their age.. but IMO they didn't have HOF worth careers (CM Jr. 1x 2nd team all pro, Sam Mills 1x first team, 2x 2nd team all-pro and has a cool story of coming from a D3 school and playing in the USFL before making it to NFL.. but his numbers don't really scream HOF to me).

Great post. Manning and Woodson are shoo-ins. I think Jared Allen and Calvin Johnson will also be elected this year. I hope Faneca makes it. The guy played football while having a seizure disorder. 

On 1/20/2021 at 8:26 AM, crazycolt1 said:

TO's stats absolutely warranted first ballot... but he had antics on the field (e.g., the Dallas Star incident, spitting in DeAngelo Hall's face) and was also a cry-baby who was often in conflict with the media and front offices of teams he played on, and thought by many to be a subpar teammate (at least for portions of his career).  He also did other things (e.g., the Desparate Housewives skit before MNF, OD on pain meds) which made him unpopular with the media, who are ultimately who vote players into the HOF.

Marvin also deserved to be a 1st ballot HOFer.  Although he got in before TO, I firmly believe Marv's alleged shooting incidents and the allegations of him punching a younger fan at a pro-bowl game were held against him in voting.  I know it's said that the HOF is for what players did on the field, and off field stuff shouldn't come into play -- but it's voted on by people (i.e., sports writers) and there surely is some sort of human element that goes into the vote casting process.

On 1/20/2021 at 8:55 AM, EastStreet said:

There's just a lot more WRs getting 1000/year, than there are QBs playing like PM. Reggie absolutely deserves to get in, but there are a lot of WRs in similar boats. 

You're right... Reggie will get in, just a matter of when.  While I do think some of Marv's off-field issues hindered him, there were also guys like Andre Reed (who had been eligible for almost a decade) and Tim Brown who were waiting to get into the HOF... both deserving HOFers who got overlooked previous years as guys like Jerry Rice and Cris Carter got in.

While I think the main knock on Reggie will be that he was WR#2 to Marvin for a decent part of his career, and the fact he wasn't all-decade team and only a 1x First-team All Pro (and 2x 2nd team).  That said, he's one of the most prolific WRs in NFL history and has some of the best post-season stats of any WR in NFL history.  Megatron definitely was a physical freak who changed the game, but his career was not long enough to put him in the record books like Reggie (who is top 10 in just about every category and top 5 in several post-season categories).  The only other WR on the ballot is Torry Holt who is a 2x finalist -- Reggie has more all-pro appearances, 1 less probowl than Holt, though Reggie has more yards, TDs and receptions.  They both have 1 SB ring, with Reggie having greater post-season success with individual stats, and Holt was 2nd team 2000s all-decade which Reggie wasn't.  Holt was also 2nd fiddle to Isaac Bruce for a decent part of his career.

Not making any guarantees, but compared to the WR classes when Marv and TO were finalists (including guys like Reed and Tim Brown who had been on the wait-list for a while) as well as studs across the board (e.g., Jerome Bettis, Derrick Brooks, Michael Strahan, Aeneas Williams, Junior Seau, WIll Shields, Favre, Orlando Pace, etc..).... I think this class is pretty weak.  After Peyton and Woodson, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I don't see any guy in this class who clearly deserves to be a HOFer more than Reggie does.  

6 hours ago, shakedownstreet said:

I wonder if Tom Brady will even get HOF consideration...

He has to retired first and if he keeps taking his Benjamin Button diet, that may not happen.

23 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Am I missing something? Why would anyone have to make a case for Peyton Manning getting in 1st ballot? The guy is arguably the GOAT, top 3 ever at worse. The title of the thread should be making a case for Reggie IMO. That is borderline on his 1st try. 

The whole reason I started this thread was to let everyone WATCH the video of Mike's discussion of why Peyton should be in the HOF. If people don't WATCH THE VIDEO then I agree the thread's not all that interesting.

Btw, here's the video that folks might want to WATCH

:funny:  :thmup:

3 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

The whole reason I started this thread was to let everyone WATCH the video of Mike's discussion of why Peyton should be in the HOF. If people don't WATCH THE VIDEO then I agree the thread's not all that interesting.

Btw, here's the video that folks might want to WATCH

:funny:  :thmup:

Yeah I have to admit I didn't watch it but will now :thmup:. I just seen the title and was like huh?? lmao 

Archived