Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: Sirianni hired as Eagles HC (merged)

Restinpeacesweetchloe

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I listen to Philadelphia sports talk radio and most Eagles fans are saying; “Who?”

The difference between the Colts and Eagles is the GMs. Howie Roseman is a terrible GM. He’s whiffed on draft picks, done some bad FA deals and paid more guaranteed money to Weintz than KC did to Mahommes.
   I know he’s won a SB but that team is a mess and there’s rumors that Jeffery Laurie has a big say in their draft picks.

Good luck to Nick but as long as Roseman is there, he’s going to have challenges.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bleedinggreennation.com/platform/amp/2020/12/4/22151708/howie-roseman-nfl-draft-eagles-study-bad-philadelphia-performance-comparison-picks-general-manager

2 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Howie Roseman is a terrible GM

No he isn't.

The Eagles won the SB on the back of a great roster, built by Roseman. Good on both lines, good skill players, identified a really good QB prospect (that people are acting like can't play), and had a good enough backup QB that they could win three games in the postseason. 

And he's been putting together good rosters for a decade. 

13 hours ago, Shive said:

So what I posted above used to be the case and it was just changed at the beginning of the 2020 league year:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2892442-report-nfl-owners-ban-blocking-assistants-from-interviewing-for-oc-dc-jobs

I didn't know that change was approved. That's awesome for aspiring coaches. It also might explain why we were so quick to promote Brady.

Mike Groh could be on Sirianni's list. 

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

No he isn't.

The Eagles won the SB on the back of a great roster, built by Roseman. Good on both lines, good skill players, identified a really good QB prospect (that people are acting like can't play), and had a good enough backup QB that they could win three games in the postseason. 

Of late, he's not been all that, with one (benched) Pro Bowler out of the last six drafts and most recently a 4-win season.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I didn't know that change was approved. That's awesome for aspiring coaches. It also might explain why we were so quick to promote Brady.

Mike Groh could be on Sirianni's list. 

I didn't realize it either. As soon as they announced Sirianni's hiring, my first thought was that we needed to promote Brady asap before he gets poached by Jax.

Groh could be, but he was also fired from the Eagles before coming here and with the same front office, I wouldn't think he'd want to go back there. 

53 minutes ago, Superman said:

Not really. The trend is toward offensive minded HCs, and the offense has been ahead of the defense.

For sure, this highlights that. I think it crazy because Eberflus has been mooted as a HC candidate for quite a while. Almost his whole time in Indy.

Also, as far as defensive minded Has go, Staley getting a job before him is also noteworthy to me.

1 hour ago, Dogg63 said:

Of late, he's not been all that, with one (benched) Pro Bowler out of the last six drafts and most recently a 4-win season.

Yeah...but those drafts include the Wentz trade up...where he traded a 1, 3, 4 in 2016 and a 1 and 2 in 2017. There has been some good players...but not nearly the track record they had in those prior years.

They have really struggled to address WR though...despite investing in the position. But I don't think even they can screw up picking Chase or Smith.

On 1/19/2021 at 1:55 PM, Superman said:

Right. The fundamentals of their offense wasn't the problem. I've been watching their offense the past couple days to get a gauge on Wentz (short story there, he's still good, but has to play more disciplined from the bottom up), and Pederson's play calling was bad at times, their receivers got very little separation, and the pass protection was awful. Wentz also made bad decisions at times.

So what plays do you run when recevers get little separation and the pass protection is awful?

12 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Good luck with that.

Ole coaching adage, "It's not the X's and the O's, it's the Jimmies and the Joes.

There's nothing you can do without the personnel.  

What are you talking about? Good coaching emphasizes the strengths of the personnel you have available. 

21 minutes ago, Superman said:

What are you talking about? Good coaching emphasizes the strengths of the personnel you have available. 

uh huh, sure you so, but when you have no protection and you have no receivers who can create your playbook shrinks dramaticically, and often it looks like you are a bad team.  

Mesh plays take time, that won't work without protection.

Picks work when you have space, when you have receivers that can't get open, your areas on the field are much tighter and the picks are less effective because there is still usually a defender in the are.

Bad personnel equals bad offense.

5 hours ago, Superman said:

No he isn't.

True but it has its downfalls.

Sirianni is the fifth coach Lurie has hired, each of them first-time NFL head coaches, none of them the popular choice, and sometimes not their first choice, with -- well, as it turns out, pretty good results.

Ray Rhodes won Coach of the Year as a rookie, led the team to consecutive trips to the playoffs, and left a powerful defensive imprint that lasted a decade. Enter Andy Reid, who went 130-93-1, took the Eagles to five NFC championship games and a Super Bowl, and established a coaching tree that rivals those of Bill Walsh and Bill Parcells. Chip Kelly went 20-12 his first two seasons before he got sick of Howie Roseman telling him what to do, to Kelly’s eventual demise, but Kelly showed promise. And Doug Pederson, Reid’s favorite son and the community-college safety school of coaching hires, won a Super Bowl in his first of three playoff trips in five seasons.

However, Sirianni will not interfere with roster construction. That is one of the big things they would not get with Josh McDaniels or Todd Bowles, who would demand more control over roster construction. I wish Nick Sirianni all the best!!!

8 minutes ago, Nickster said:

uh huh, sure you so, but when you have no protection and you have no receivers who can create your playbook shrinks dramaticically, and often it looks like you are a bad team.  

Mesh plays take time, that won't work without protection.

Picks work when you have space, when you have receivers that can't get open, your areas on the field are much tighter and the picks are less effective because there is still usually a defender in the are.

Bad personnel equals bad offense.

The Eagles ran more vertical routes than any other team in the NFL last year.

Don't know why you think mesh takes more time than any other route concept. Or why you think you can't run a pick play to the field in a 2x2 formation.

They called a lot of plays tailored for personnel they didn't have.

And the point in my earlier post, which you responded to, was that the play caller was more of an issue than the fundamentals of the offense.

8 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I listen to Philadelphia sports talk radio and most Eagles fans are saying; “Who?”

The difference between the Colts and Eagles is the GMs. Howie Roseman is a terrible GM. He’s whiffed on draft picks, done some bad FA deals and paid more guaranteed money to Weintz than KC did to Mahommes.
   I know he’s won a SB but that team is a mess and there’s rumors that Jeffery Laurie has a big say in their draft picks.

Good luck to Nick but as long as Roseman is there, he’s going to have challenges.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bleedinggreennation.com/platform/amp/2020/12/4/22151708/howie-roseman-nfl-draft-eagles-study-bad-philadelphia-performance-comparison-picks-general-manager

This is what happens when the media listens to a fan base that is unhappy. 

Fan bases pick and choose things they want to be negative about without really looking at the bigger picture. 

Happens in this forum pretty regular. 

13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

True but it has its downfalls.

Sirianni is the fifth coach Lurie has hired, each of them first-time NFL head coaches, none of them the popular choice, and sometimes not their first choice, with -- well, as it turns out, pretty good results.

Ray Rhodes won Coach of the Year as a rookie, led the team to consecutive trips to the playoffs, and left a powerful defensive imprint that lasted a decade. Enter Andy Reid, who went 130-93-1, took the Eagles to five NFC championship games and a Super Bowl, and established a coaching tree that rivals those of Bill Walsh and Bill Parcells. Chip Kelly went 20-12 his first two seasons before he got sick of Howie Roseman telling him what to do, to Kelly’s eventual demise, but Kelly showed promise. And Doug Pederson, Reid’s favorite son and the community-college safety school of coaching hires, won a Super Bowl in his first of three playoff trips in five seasons.

However, Sirianni will not interfere with roster construction. That is one of the big things they would not get with Josh McDaniels or Todd Bowles, who would demand more control over roster construction. I wish Nick Sirianni all the best!!!

Not claiming they'll be a match made in heaven, but Roseman clearly wants full roster control after the Chip Kelly saga.

9 hours ago, Superman said:

No he isn't.

Would you rather have Roseman or Ballard?

9 hours ago, Superman said:

No he isn't.

I used to think so. But I feel bad for Sirianni:

13 hours ago, Superman said:

The Eagles ran more vertical routes than any other team in the NFL last year.

Don't know why you think mesh takes more time than any other route concept. Or why you think you can't run a pick play to the field in a 2x2 formation.

They called a lot of plays tailored for personnel they didn't have.

And the point in my earlier post, which you responded to, was that the play caller was more of an issue than the fundamentals of the offense.

did they throw more vertical routes or run more?

most mesh plays involve at least two verts to clear out space for the mesh crossers.  Phi was famous for mesh in their SB year.  

without the vert threat the long crossers will be ineffective. 

On 1/21/2021 at 2:28 PM, luv_pony_express said:

With Wentz’s contract, I don’t think the Eagles have much of a choice but to try again to make it work out.  What other team is going to assume the contract of a benched QB who is about to become one of the 10 highest paid QBs in the league?

Welp, like I said before the hire, Sirianni likely means they'll try to fix things. And honestly, I think that's the best thing all things considered. Huge dice roll on both fronts IMO. Wentz could be broke. Sirianni could be a huge reach. Or it could work out. If I had to bet, I'd say Philly is gong to 8-8ish next year. Total wildcard situation though.

Why hasn't there been an official announcement by the Eagles if Sirianni is indeed their new HC?  He's listed as reportedly being hired, but no word from the team. Maybe he hasn't signed the contract yet, or there is some glitch that hasn't been worked out. The situation seems kind of strange. 

22 minutes ago, teganslaw said:

Why hasn't there been an official announcement by the Eagles if Sirianni is indeed their new HC?  He's listed as reportedly being hired, but no word from the team. Maybe he hasn't signed the contract yet, or there is some glitch that hasn't been worked out. The situation seems kind of strange. 

guessing they are going through the official vetting process, as well as working through Ts and Cs.

22 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

That's fair, and that's good research in that piece. It's just one aspect of being a GM, but it's very important. Still, saying he's a terrible GM is a step further than I think is appropriate. He put together a contender, using multiple avenues of adding players, and then doubled down on a roster that was good enough to win, but got destroyed by injury (and apparently, internal conflict). 

And injury is a big part of those draft results.

Anyway, I don't think Roseman is a terrible GM. But I'm not trying to swap him for Ballard. 

12 hours ago, Nickster said:

did they throw more vertical routes or run more?

most mesh plays involve at least two verts to clear out space for the mesh crossers.  Phi was famous for mesh in their SB year.  

without the vert threat the long crossers will be ineffective. 

There are so many variants of mesh that I don't understand why anyone would make such broad generalizations of the concept. You can run mesh effectively without long developing clear outs, you can use TEs, and WRs in reduced splits. And mesh generally doesn't feature long/deep crossing routes, but shallow crossing routes, with multiple throwing windows.

Screen_Shot_2017_09_24_at_2.49.58_PM.png

20 hours ago, EastStreet said:
20 hours ago, teganslaw said:

guessing they are going through the official vetting process, as well as working through Ts and Cs.

They've agreed to terms now. Eagles have announced it officially too.

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/eagles-announce-nick-sirianni-as-head-coach

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This is probably for the good because like a few other posters mentioned, they will keep Wentz now in all likely hood. 

I think they were always keeping Wentz, once Pederson was fired. I don't agree with the Wentz bashing, though. He can still play.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think they were always keeping Wentz, once Pederson was fired. I don't agree with the Wentz bashing, though. He can still play.

Maybe he can, I have been hard on him, can't lie but I just don't want him here. I would take Stafford over him all day + Wentz's contract is another reason why I don't want him here.

19 hours ago, Superman said:

There are so many variants of mesh that I don't understand why anyone would make such broad generalizations of the concept. You can run mesh effectively without long developing clear outs, you can use TEs, and WRs in reduced splits. And mesh generally doesn't feature long/deep crossing routes, but shallow crossing routes, with multiple throwing windows.

Screen_Shot_2017_09_24_at_2.49.58_PM.png

well man out of the 8 plays you show, there are 12 verts.  That’s a lot.  I don’t know why you’d run mesh without a clear out.  I wasn’t aware that was done.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Maybe he can, I have been hard on him, can't lie but I just don't want him here. I would take Stafford over him all day + Wentz's contract is another reason why I don't want him here.

Their contracts are basically the same for the next two years. Wentz is several years younger, so in theory you could sustain something with him on your roster. 

Stafford is higher on my list, though.

Archived