Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: Sirianni hired as Eagles HC (merged)

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't know why people think the only thing an OC does is call plays...

If Marcus Brady is a no go, I would not be opposed to consider Marty Mornhinweg.   During his career as an offensive coordinator, Mornhinweg's offenses have finished 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 9th,

Seems like it’s McDaniels’ job to back out of. Good to have Sirianni as a backup option.

• Nadine changed the title to [Schefter] Nick Sirianni is interviewing today for the Eagles’ HC job (merge)
4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Last report I saw was that it's basically McDaniels' job, pending some final items. That they're interviewing a new candidate is interesting.

Possibly a fail-safe in case McDaniel's decides to pull something? 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Last report I saw was that it's basically McDaniels' job, pending some final items. That they're interviewing a new candidate is interesting.

It might be as a back-up option based on McDaniels' past actions, as a negotiating tactic to leverage against McDaniels, or just to to put some pressure on him to make a decision sooner.

Just now, RollerColt said:

Possibly a fail-safe in case McDaniel's decides to pull something? 

What's stopping them from making it official with McDaniels? They've been interviewing for almost two weeks now, and unlike the Colts in 2018, there's nothing stopping them from hiring him whenever they want.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Superman said:

What's stopping them from making it official with McDaniels? They've been interviewing for almost two weeks now, and unlike the Colts in 2018, there's nothing stopping them from hiring him whenever they want.

True, he could be hired right now on the spot. Perhaps due diligence, or because of his past they want to make absolutely sure that he's the right guy? 

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

True, he could be hired right now on the spot. Perhaps due diligence, or because of his past they want to make absolutely sure that he's the right guy? 

I mean, who knows. Just seems to signal that they've moved off of him, or he declined/withdrew.

The Colts interviewed four guys on the first attempt in 2018, then three more after McDaniels snaked us. With Sirianni, the Eagles have 11 guys on the list (not sure that they interviewed all 11). That's a lot, for a typical HC search.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Superman said:

I mean, who knows. Just seems to signal that they've moved off of him, or he declined/withdrew.

The Colts interviewed four guys on the first attempt in 2018, then three more after McDaniels snaked us. With Sirianni, the Eagles have 11 guys on the list (not sure that they interviewed all 11). That's a lot, for a typical HC search.

Agreed, something is up. 

37 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Agreed, something is up. 

Saw this elsewhere, it might have some validity:

I wonder if the Eagles are trying to get feedback and intel from across the NFL on how these guys feel about Carson Wentz...It's honestly not a bad idea. Interview brightest minds/evaluators and see what they think to help with assessment

• Like 3
2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

How different is Siranni/Reich's offense to Pederson? If it's similar, I don't see why they'd take him. 

I don’t think Philly’s problems were the offensive system.   Remember, it’s the same system the Eagles won the Super Bowl with.

The problem was Pederson appeared to lose the team, not just Wentz.   And also Philly got wiped out by injuries everywhere.  I think they were among the leaders in games lost due to injuries.  

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And also Philly got wiped out by injuries everywhere.  I think they were among the leaders in games lost due to injuries.  

2nd hardest hit by injuries, per this metric:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think Philly’s problems were the offensive system.   Remember, it’s the same system the Eagles won the Super Bowl with.

The problem was Pederson appeared to lose the team, not just Wentz.   And also Philly got wiped out by injuries everywhere.  I think they were among the leaders in games lost due to injuries.  

Fair enough. I just think if they're planning to make big changes, they're probably looking at changing the system and schemes. Nothing against Sirianni at all. 

Oh no. If he leaves who will...

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

uh, do whatever he does for us?

What does he do?

Remember all those years Caldwell was our QB coach, and his job actually consisted of making sure Peyton didn’t want a water on the sidelines? 

Maybe that’s what Frank makes Nick do...

• Haha 1

McWeasel: Bill, Mr Kraft, I'm taking the Eagles job.

Bill: You mean that's what you're telling them, right?

McWeasel: Of course, I'm not actually going to take it.

Kraft: Okay, good. Take that Philly Special!

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Right. The fundamentals of their offense wasn't the problem. I've been watching their offense the past couple days to get a gauge on Wentz (short story there, he's still good, but has to play more disciplined from the bottom up), and Pederson's play calling was bad at times, their receivers got very little separation, and the pass protection was awful. Wentz also made bad decisions at times.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Dogg63 said:

2nd hardest hit by injuries, per this metric:

It shows man games lost, but does not show significance of those players lost. To bad there isn't a way to chart that. 

53 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

It shows man games lost, but does not show significance of those players lost. To bad there isn't a way to chart that. 

The size of the bubble indicates quality of player, based on an advanced metric. Not saying it's infallible, but it tries to account for how good the player is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I might be way underestimating Sirianni, but I just don't see the Eagles hiring a guy without HC or play calling experience. Happy he is getting interviewed though. 

Assuming he stays in Indy, I do hope he gets to call plays in 21

4 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

But we don't know how he calls plays, do we?

He might be worse than Frank.....or better? 

Now THIS is a very good post!  

I see lots of posters who want Sirianni to be the new play caller.    But you’re right, none of us knows if he’ll be better or worse than Frank.   In theory, Nick is Frank’s other half because they think alike.   So I wouldn’t think the chances of Sirianni being better or different from Frank would be all that good....

Just saying.... 

30 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Nobody knows....

But I'd take the risk given I don't like Frank's.

5 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

This.

Reich is a good play-caller. He's certainly not perfect and, if I could cite only one reason that the Colts lost to the Bills, it would be the play that he called when he went for it on fourth down. I agree with the decision to go for it, but the actual play-call was garbage imo.

With that being said, he's also called some great games, and some made some great calls in the clutch. No-one is perfect and he certainly seems aware of his own shortcomings. That's half the battle.

I hope Reich continues to call the plays, and continues to grow as a play-caller.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mackrel829 said:

This.

Reich is a good play-caller. He's certainly not perfect and, if I could cite only one reason that the Colts lost to the Bills, it would be the play that he called when he went for it on fourth down. I agree with the decision to go for it, but the actual play-call was garbage imo.

With that being said, he's also called some great games, and some made some great calls in the clutch. No-one is perfect and he certainly seems aware of his own shortcomings. That's half the battle.

I hope Reich continues to call the plays, and continues to grow as a play-caller.

So just curious. Why do you think Reich is a good play caller? LAC with Rivers was the 10th ranked total O last year, and had a horrible OL and a bottom 5 rushing attack. The Colts had a top 5ish OL this year, a top 10 rushing O, and we were 10th in total O.... 

Given the huge jump in OL and rushing rank between LAC 2019 and Indy 2020, and given the they had the same QB, wouldn't you expect Indy to have a better overall O rank than LAC last year if Reich was such a great play caller?

Not trying to be sarcastic, I just don't understand where all the "good play caller" stuff is coming from. He's only called plays in one other place (SDC), and was fired for having the worst balance in the NFL. I see him as very predictable, who lacks flow and the ability to adjust.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Mackrel829 said:

This.

This. . . I feel like when the team loses people have a hard time accepting it and just look for someone to blame.  The blame usually ends up on the HC and the playcalling.  

5 hours ago, Mackrel829 said:

This.

Yes no one is a perfect play caller AND that certainly describes Frank and often his in game decision making is also head scratching. :scratch:

You said you liked him going for it on 4th down vs buffalo at the 4yd line. But he had 3rd & goal at the 2 and knew he would go for it on 4th if necessary.  So calling a outside run, which lost 2 yards, was a bad call. The play was punch it in inside behind our All World Guard on 3rd & 4th down and NOT pitch it outside behind a LT that we just talked out of retirement and promoted from the practice squad!

• Superman changed the title to Update: Sirianni hired as Eagles HC (merged)
  • CR91 changed the title to Nick Sirianni leaving to be the Eagles HC